PDA

View Full Version : Help: I need combat tactics suggestion with spring attack!

Catalysis
2014-07-04, 07:22 AM
Appart from the trip special attack, what would be an excellent tactic for a melee swift hunter using spring attack, and with a base land speed ranging from 60ft to 90ft?

Thank you for taking your time answering this question, playgrounders!

HammeredWharf
2014-07-04, 07:30 AM
I don't see how tripping is especially good with Spring Attack.

To make Spring Attack efficient on a Swift Hunter build, you have to get as many attacks off as possible. That means Bounding Assault and rapid Blitz (PHP2). Possibly Snap Kick (ToB), too, but it's a bit too feat-intensive.

I'd suggest a different way of moving around (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement). Travel Devotion is quite popular, but anything will do.

Catalysis
2014-07-04, 07:53 AM
I don't see how tripping is especially good with Spring Attack.

To make Spring Attack efficient on a Swift Hunter build, you have to get as many attacks off as possible. That means Bounding Assault and rapid Blitz (PHP2). Possibly Snap Kick (ToB), too, but it's a bit too feat-intensive.

I'd suggest a different way of moving around (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?103358-3-X-Ways-to-get-Pounce-or-Free-Movement). Travel Devotion is quite popular, but anything will do.

I'm not talking about pure old damage-wise, I handled it in a previous tread, bounding assault was involved. Sorry, I should have cleared that.

I'm taking expeditious dodge, and mobility is granted by my class at 4th level (wildshape shapeshift ranger). I really want to make the most out of spring attack, adding travel devotion on top of that could be interesting, though.

I'm looking for special effects such as dazzling, fear, stunning, paralysis, exhaustion, petrification, etc. Any ideas?

EDIT: thank you for the article! It has proven very useful.

Vaz
2014-07-04, 08:04 AM
Has your DM OK'd Shapeshift Ranger? The rules do not currently support it, as you are a ranger, not a Druid, albeit one with Wildshape. Tbh, it's only a penalty to you really, as the stat boosts are Enhancement bonuses, which you can pick up via items.

If you want Spring Attack, you'll get more from Druid 7/MoMF+, and using Enhance Wild Shape, which will give you abilities along those lines (when you reach Druid 7/MoMF 5, ask if you can retrain Druid 6 and 7 into MoMF 1 and 2, then you get the same abilities. If you can spoil yourself with Psion 1, Practised Manifester and Metamorphic Transfer, you've just got yourself some neat abilities and Su abilities from creatures you take the shape of as well.

Catalysis
2014-07-04, 08:19 AM
Has your DM OK'd Shapeshift Ranger? The rules do not currently support it, as you are a ranger, not a Druid, albeit one with Wildshape. Tbh, it's only a penalty to you really, as the stat boosts are Enhancement bonuses, which you can pick up via items.

If you want Spring Attack, you'll get more from Druid 7/MoMF+, and using Enhance Wild Shape, which will give you abilities along those lines (when you reach Druid 7/MoMF 5, ask if you can retrain Druid 6 and 7 into MoMF 1 and 2, then you get the same abilities. If you can spoil yourself with Psion 1, Practised Manifester and Metamorphic Transfer, you've just got yourself some neat abilities and Su abilities from creatures you take the shape of as well.

The build is set: VoP ranger 8/scout 12, the goal was to play as a wolf from level 1, which the above builds cannot. Sorry, I should also have cleared that.
I'm exchanging my small or medium animal wildshape against beast form and mobility only.
The DM is a 100% ok with it, given the power level it has.

I'm not used to ToB rules nor psionic ones, it never apealed to me. (Again, I did not specify against it, sorry.)

I'm just looking for a good feat tree that would do something else than just deal damage and vanish. It's not the role I aim at.

I can:
Disarm traps
Track
Scout with my coure eladrin (exalted familiar via urban companion)
Attack... Not so much, unless I find a way to debuff with those attacks.

Vaz
2014-07-04, 08:51 AM
Wild Ranger doesn't get Wild Shape until L5.

Catalysis
2014-07-04, 08:55 AM
Wild Ranger doesn't get Wild Shape until L5.

Druids also don't get wildshape until level 5.
The shapeshift variant still lets them change in beast form at-will at level 1.

paperarmor
2014-07-04, 12:35 PM
this looks like a job for a rogue or swordsage dip to get get sneak attack and then take staggering strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/staggering-strike--2753/) only works on a sneak attack but those are fairly easy.

Catalysis
2014-07-04, 12:38 PM
this looks like a job for a rogue or swordsage dip to get get sneak attack and then take staggering strike (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/staggering-strike--2753/) only works on a sneak attack but those are fairly easy.

Hmmm, interesting. I'll see what I can do with that, thank you!