PDA

View Full Version : Interesting things that never got updated

Kazudo
2014-07-04, 12:51 PM
While I found this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x), I started trolling around on it to see if I could find any 3.0 gems that weren't brought forward to 3.5 (and therefore are strictly rules legal unless I'm missing something)

A few things I saw were neat. For example, if you have a BAB +2 and make a normal attack as you would a full attack (so basically, you know, a normal non-iterative single swing) you can take the feat Dirty Fighting and deal an extra 1d4 points of damage. A low level two-handed build might benefit from that (although it's only an extra handful of damage, sometimes it counts).

Need blindsight? 8th level druids can get it by losing a feat. Works within 120 feet.

Need ALL the favored enemies? 5 levels in ranger makes you qualify for Extra Favored Enemy.

Gonna be dealing lots of damage in a trip-based build? Want more trip attempts against really skilled opponents? Deal 10 or more damage with the Knock-Down feat and you make a free attempt (note, requires Improved Trip. Kinda weird there.)

Want the monk to hit less? Lightning Fists man. Lightning Fists.

I love stuff like this.

Kazudo
2014-07-04, 12:53 PM
And then there's Mantis Leap which, aside from requiring Monk 7 (bluh) would be pretty nice as it gives you your STR modifier x2 instead of normal!

Jeff the Green
2014-07-04, 01:44 PM
I really like some of the stuff in the campaign settings that weren't updated: Ghostwalk and Oriental Adventures. (Yes, I know OA was updated in Dragon; that doesn't count.) Everyone knows about hengeyokai, but nezumi and vanara are awesome too. Nezumi have a week version of scent and can get the whole version with a feat, and vanara are one of the best wizard, psion, or archivist races with -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence +2 Wisdom. I really like Maho-Tzukai, and there are some things in there that make monks not quite so bad.

Ghostwalk has the most unusual fluff of any setting. The god of death wants to eat your soul to keep it safe? Elves and half-elves can't become ghosts because their souls turn into trees when they die? Yes please. It also has some cool mechanical stuff: Sherem/Sherezem-Lar Sorcery is Spellcasting Prodigy for Charisma-based casters that was never updated and so are worth taking. The ghost template there is +0 LA and not undead, and there are some awesome feats you can take, including possession, polyergeisty stuff, fear effects, teleportation, and really nasty touch attacks. And who can forget Dancing Blade, the spectacularly bad feat that is Weapon Focus except with prerequisites (Perform 1 and BAB +1), restricted to rapier, and only functional on a full attack.

Darrin
2014-07-04, 03:26 PM
And then there's Mantis Leap which, aside from requiring Monk 7 (bluh) would be pretty nice as it gives you your STR modifier x2 instead of normal!

Mantis Leap is Battle Jump for monks. Turn any jump action into a charge. Add Sphinx Claws soulmeld for Pounce. I've been hankering to put together a Mantis Leap build, but haven't quite figured out if Monk 7 is worth it.

And Ghostwalk did get a 3.5 update, which included a few new spells (stinking cloud as a 1st level cone), a few magic items, and a template for horses that I haven't quite figured out what to do with it.