PDA

View Full Version : What system would you use for managing lots of adventurers?

Trekkin
2014-07-04, 08:53 PM
There's a campaign idea I'm kicking around wherein the players run a collection of businesses for supporting adventurers: training academies and potion distilleries and taverns and cash-for-loot organizations, et cetera, the idea being that they eventually parlay the brand loyalty (or inevitable crushing debts) of an army of murderhobos into world domination and/or large amounts of gold. If adventuring may be likened to a gold rush, they're the ones selling boat tickets and blue jeans. There's more to it than that, but that's the part I can't find a system to support.

So is there a system out there that can quickly simulate standard adventurer-style combat en masse, or ought I to just code one computationally out of something like FATE? Ideally there would be something without d20's emphasis on positioning (I'd rather not have to map a long series of dungeons) but with enough distinct effects to correlate specifically to the success rate; "could not afford healing potions" should return a different failure state than "convincingly-painted wooden sword broke on contact with orc", for example.

Incidentally, a robust crafting system would also come in handy. Is there anything out there in which I can run this?