PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Thoon-Bred Illithid (3.5)

Pinkcrusade
2014-07-04, 09:15 PM
Hello, Playground. I have always wanted to play an Illithid, but their RHD and LA make that generally impossible in the level of campaign I play in (mid levels), so I decided to homebrew up a race to submit to my DM. Any review would be excellent, thanks.

PS: I put this against other creatures of the same LA to assist with gauging its power level

THOON-BRED ILLITHID

+6 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Strength, -2 Wisdom; Thoon-Bred Illithids are created much like normal Illithids, but in the madness of the Far Realm and in a pool of quintessence, accelerating the growing process, but hindering their abilities. These Thoon-Bred Illithids look identical to their Illithid brethren, but are bred to be devote to none but Thoon
Medium Aberration
Thoon-Bred Illithid base land speed is 30 ft.
Dark vision out to 60 ft.
Naturally Psionic: Thoon-Bred Illithids gain 3 power points at the 1st level, this does not enable them to manifest powers.
Natural Weapons: 4 Tentacles (1d4)
Abilities: Mind Blast (same as MM), Improved Grab (Same as MM), Extract (same as MM), Psionics

At-will: detect thoughts (DC 15), detect magic, touch of madness (DC 15)
3/day: psionic dimension door (augmentable by power points; gained at 6th level)
Spell Resistance: Hit Dice + 5
Languages: Common, Undercommon, Telepathy 100 ft. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Elvish, Gnome, Infernal, Terran
LA: +2

Thanks for reading

Network
2014-07-05, 10:27 AM
Natural Weapons: 4 Tentacles (1d4)
Abilities: Mind Blast (same as MM), Improved Grab (Same as MM), Extract (same as MM), Psionics
[...]
LA: +2

How is this balanced? I can hardly see an ECL 3 character getting access to a powerful stun effect (Mind Blast) and an instant-kill one (Extract). The former is equivalent to a 4th-level spell, so I don't think a character should have access to a fully powered form of it before 7th level or so (and even then, not at-will). As for the latter, I think the earliest SoD spells (such as Phantasmal Killer) are 4th-level ones, too. Most save-or-lose spells that come up before that have serious limitations (not to say that they don't exist, but they either have a short duration or cease to work when you attack the opponent, and they soon become irrelevant when the encounter level increases).

I heavily suggest you add RHD and a couple manifester levels to balanced things out, and nerf a couple special attacks, too.