PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Simulating a Weirdstone

Eaglejarl
2014-07-04, 09:44 PM
I'm looking for a non-Epic spell or combination of spells that will create a portable anti-teleport zone. The ideal spell would be able to (a) be cast on an object, (b) blocks teleport in a large area, (c) has a long duration (days or more) or, better, can be Permanencied.

Hallow+Dimensional Anchor could work, but the area is smaller than I'd prefer. Mage's Private Sanctum would be perfect except I don't think it can be rendered portable.

The goal is to set up one or more resetting spell traps that create these things, then send them out to create tons of no-teleport zones throughout a wide area as part of a war tactic.

Alternatively, if there is a magic item that will do this but is cheap enough to be made in just a few days, that would work too. (Weirdstone is too expensive -- I'm looking for something in the 5-10k range.)

Any thoughts?

PS: I know there isn't a spell that will ward an area as large as a Weirdstone. That's ok.

PPS: Note the 'non-Epic spells and items' part above. I'm avoiding psionics, homebrew, and metamagic. I know that I could solve it using that set of things, but I'm trying to work with a simpler ruleset so as to avoid some of the more abusable parts of the rules. (And I'm avoiding psionics because I personally don't care for it.)

John Longarrow
2014-07-04, 09:51 PM
Is this for use by a party (i.e. in the PCs hands) or is this for DM's use?

Eaglejarl
2014-07-04, 10:09 PM
This is for use in my novel, "The Two Year Emperor" (link in sig) so, effectively DM's hands. The world runs on very strict RAW, which is why I'm not doing it by author fiat or homebrewing up a solution.

Graypairofsocks
2014-07-05, 02:14 AM
Dimensional Lock (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm) is a 8 level spell (for sor/wiz & cleric) that lasts 1 day/level and has a 20 ft radius area, however spell resistance applies.

Forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm) is a 6 lvl cleric spell (with a bizarre casting time of 6 rounds) that blocks dimensional travel in a 60 ft cube per level area, it also has a permanent duration, however it deals damage to creatures of different alignment if they enter the area unless you give a password to circumvent that.
Forbiddance allows spell resistance and it costs 1,500 gp + 1,500 gp per 60 ft cube(when you are first able to cast the spell you get 11 cubes), if you allow a password the base cost is increased by 1,000 gp and so are the prices for each cube.

In my opinion Forbiddance is the more powerful option, note that the spell resistance (and money for Forbiddance) problem can be solved using dweomer keeper.

Unfortunately neither of these 2 are castable on an object.

However Forbiddance satisfies your other 2 preferences.
Forbiddance can be widened by widen spell(making it 120 ft cube/lvl), however that would increase the level to 9.

So I would say go with the Forbiddance.

BloodyMartian
2014-07-05, 02:26 AM
Hallow/Unhallow I think could persist a spell in an area for up to a year.
Anticipate Teleportation but that didn't block teleports only delays them.
Otiluke's Supressing Field maybe.

Bronk
2014-07-05, 06:56 PM
If you want a magical trap, how about a dual trap: dimensional lock, triggered by anticipate teleport.

Andion Isurand
2014-07-06, 03:13 AM
Halaster's Teleport Cage (City of Splendors: Waterdeep, p. 155) creates a permanent area effect that keeps teleportation effects occurring within it from getting one outside... and keeps them from bringing someone in from outside, randomizing the destination of such spells in either event, within the range they allow.

If you keep casting the spell, you can annex and add to an existing Teleport Cage effect.

There is also an interesting effect, called Halaster's Scrying Cage (Expedition to Undermountain, p. 219) that creates a permanent area effect which prevents scrying effects from working within, into or out of the area. It also prevents divination spells from detecting or passing through any solid barriers that lie within the area.

If you keep casting the spell, you can annex and add to an existing Scrying Cage effect.

Rubik
2014-07-17, 02:45 PM
It's not exactly like you want, but there's an easy way to prevent teleportation into a city.

First, Fabricate to create a perfect scale-model of a city, one sized to fit Fine-sized creatures, preferably made out of riverine or adamantine, and enclosed in some way, like a termite mound.

Turn the model into a repeating trap of some spell that makes anyone who touches it Fine-sized (such as Polymorph).

Now the only way to get into the city is to be Fine-sized. Anyone who doesn't know the trick just can't get in. Attempts to teleport simply fail, because there's not enough room.

Envelop it in a Hallow/Forbiddance/Etc, or plant it near a weirdstone or other effect that prevents teleportation, for extra assurance.

And to prevent Wishes from teleporting people out, start by crafting the city in the shape of a weapon and then enhance it as a spellblade with Wish as the embedded spell. Can also be used for other targeted spells as well, such as Disintegrate and Animate Dead.