PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Levelling Up Animals?

Scorponok
2014-07-05, 06:48 AM
Hi Giants, I was wondering how to level up animals, and I seem to remember a chart that someone showed me that had the levelling up just like it would any other class. It listed the BaB, saves, and other class features you get, but I looked through one of my player's Animal Archive book and couldn't find it. Does such a chart exist, and if not, how do you level up animals?

Also, is this the same as levelling up animal companions? I think I remember the Monster Manual saying they gain BaB like a Cleric would, and should have two good saves and one bad.

Spore
2014-07-05, 07:18 AM
An animal is a living, nonhuman creature, usually a vertebrate with no magical abilities and no innate capacity for language or culture.
Features

An animal has the following features (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).

d8 Hit Dice.
Base attack bonus equal to 3/4 total Hit Dice (as cleric).
Good Fortitude and Reflex saves (as ranger; certain animals have different good saves).
Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Animal_Type

Scorponok
2014-07-05, 04:37 PM
Cool! Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

So, does this mean a creature with 6HD is a level 6? And does it gain feats and ability scores like a PC would? (1 feat at first level, then one at 3, 6,9, and 1 ability score increase at 4, 8, 12, etc.)

And for natural attacks, do you just see which weapon it resembles and use the die for that? (Example, a large scorpion's tail sting is most like a dagger, while it's claws are about the same as short swords.)

Also, does this progression also apply to other things like outsiders, magical creatures, etc.?

AuraTwilight
2014-07-05, 05:32 PM
So, does this mean a creature with 6HD is a level 6? And does it gain feats and ability scores like a PC would? (1 feat at first level, then one at 3, 6,9, and 1 ability score increase at 4, 8, 12, etc.)

It'd be, effectively, a level six character, with the BAB, save bonuses, and skill points described, plus a feat every third level like a PC. They do not, however, get the ability score increases. Only class levels give those.

And for natural attacks, do you just see which weapon it resembles and use the die for that? (Example, a large scorpion's tail sting is most like a dagger, while it's claws are about the same as short swords.)

The damage die for natural weapons is usually described in the creature's entry.

Also, does this progression also apply to other things like outsiders, magical creatures, etc.?

Each type has it's own progression. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

See Table: Creature Improvement by Type