PDA

View Full Version : Junkyard Wars in the Playground V: Dread Witch + Reaping Mauler - Fighter

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 10:37 AM
Welcome to Junkyard Stadium! It is in this hallowed pile of miscellaneous parts that we will hold a competition of Practical Optimization with three components. The catch? Competitors may not use the third item in their builds!

Contestants: You will need to present a write-up of your build at at least one of the following points: 5th level, 10th level, 15th, 20th, and a "sweet spot" that you feel is the high point of the build, as well as presenting a fully-fleshed out 20-level build in the table below. Feel free to present as many of these as you like, and please give a rundown of the build's abilities and playability at all of the levels you didn't show. The rules are as follows:

Goal: For most challenges, the "special components" will be drawn from Core plus Completes. There will, from time to time, be special challenges that showcase secret components from other books--for example, the XPH.

32 point-buy is the presumed creation method, but we have generally allowed other levels of point-buy.
If you do use a different point-buy, please make your case for its necessity in your entry. Keep in mind that for using exceptionally large or small point-buys may warrant deductions in Build Stability and/or Power.

Workshop: Competitors will be free to use any official 3.5 rulebook in constructing their builds. Dragon Magazine is disallowed, and Unearthed Arcana is allowed; but see Build Stability below. Web-exclusive 3.0 or 3.5 materials by WotC are expressly allowed, but take care to verify that an updated version did not appear in print elsewhere as this may cause a Build Stability deduction at the judges' discretion. If you use web material, link it. Dragon Magazine Compendium is allowed.. Alternate rule systems from UA such as gestalt and fractional saves are not allowed, as they create a different playing field. Also item familiars are forbidden because I hate 'em. Please refrain from using Taint unless it's necessary for one or more of the Components.

Completion Time: Contestants will have until [11:59 PM GMT on July 19th, 2014] to create their builds and PM them to the chairman, Kazudo. Builds will then be posted simultaneously to avoid copying. Judges will have until [11:59 PM GMT on August 2nd, 2014] to judge the builds and submit their scores. If no judges have scored by that point, only the scores of the first judge to submit will be counted. As the precedence has been set from Episode 2, should all prospective judges have posted their rulings in a neat, timely fashion and all disputes have been settled satisfactorily (to either judges, contestants, or the Chairperson), the judging period may end prematurely to give way to a new episode. No reason to keep working on a finished building and avoid moving onto the next one.

Presentation: Builds will be posted anonymously, in order to avoid the potential of bias towards a particular competitor. For this reason, please don't put your name in the build as I'm likely to miss it when reviewing the entries. Also for this reason, PLEASE do not include any material that may or may not offend any potential viewers/judges/competitors OR break forum rules: It'll be me who gets in trouble for it, and you don't want that! Any builds which utterly and grossly violate forum rules WILL be withheld.

Due to concerns about standardizing entry format, I'd like everyone to try to use the following table for their entry.NAME OF ENTRY
LevelClassBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSkillsFeatsClass Features

1stNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

2ndNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

3rdNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

4thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

5thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

6thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

7thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

8thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

9thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

10thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

11thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

12thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

13thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

14thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

15thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

16thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

17thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

18thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

19thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

20thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

Table Code:

NAME OF ENTRY
LevelClassBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveSkillsFeatsClass Features

1stNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

2ndNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

3rdNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

4thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

5thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

6thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

7thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

8thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

9thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

10thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

11thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

12thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

13thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

14thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

15thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

16thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

17thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

18thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

19thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

20thNew Class Level+x+x+x+xSkillsNew FeatsNew Class Abilities

For entries with spellcasting or other systems (Psionics, ToB, Incarnum, etc.) keep track of spells per day/spells known/PP/maneuvers/essentia separately, preferably in a nice neat list.

Speculation: Please don't post or speculate on possible builds until after the reveal in order to avoid spoiling the surprise if a particular competitor is producing a build along those lines.

Leadership is banned: We're creating one things, not all of the things. If your entry includes a prestige class or ACF that grants Leadership or a Leadership-like ability as a bonus feat, the feat should be ignored and is not eligible to be traded away for another feat or ACF through any means.

So who wants to sign up as a contestant and who wants to sign up as a judge? Looking for as many contestants and judges as feel like playing!

This competition has two Necessary Components and one Forbidden Component.

A popular request is two 5-level PrCs which have very little in common and a forbidden ingredient that is deemed the easiest entry method between the two. Not gonna lie, a dartboard was involved for this one.

1. Originally introduced in Heroes of Horror:

The Dread Witch Prestige Class!
2. Originally introduced in Complete Warrior:

The Reaping Mauler Prestige Class!
And the Forbidden Component:
3. Originally introduced in the Player's Handbook:

The Fighter Base Class!

We will award 1st through 3rd places, as well as a shout-out for honorable mention. The honorable mention prize is given to the most daring or unexpected build that doesn't gain a medal. Contestants are invited to vote for honorable mention via PM. Everyone else can vote in-thread.

Ready? Steady? Get to the junkyard and start building!

Previous Competitions:
Episode 1: Shadowdancer + Sneak Attack - Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?342896-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-II)
Episode 2: Healing Spells + Ruby Knight Vindicator - no Cleric (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?337864-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-I)
Episode 3: Dragon Type + Mystic Theurge - Kobold (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?347412-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-III-Dragons-Theurges-Kobolds)
Episode 4: Book of Exalted Deeds + Undead Type - Completes Books (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?355278-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-IV-BoED-Undead-Type-Completes)

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 10:38 AM
Judging Guidelines
Welcome prospective judges as well to the Junkyard Wars Judging Box! You are incredibly valuable to this competition and we want you to know that.

In an effort to make this competition more about improving overall optimization abilities and not just showcasing those who already can optimize fairly well, I'd like to add a bit to the judging.

To begin with, judges will be expected to put their judging in four categories:

Originality: How original the build is. This can be in terms of using only other builds in the competition or the world of Practical Optimization as a whole. Please keep in mind, however, that this game is over a decade old and that originality is a subjective term.

Power: What kind of power the build can harness. How you judge power level is entirely up to you, but please exercise consistency through your judging.

Use of Secret Components: How well the build synergizes the two required components. In this particular exercise, the forbidden component isn't necessarily going to be a massive hinderance as much as safety rails. However, if any build touches Kobold at all penalize accordingly.

Build Stability: How well the build would stand up to average DM scrutiny. Such things to go here would be number of sources, use of known cheese, etc.

The above four categories will be up for dispute by the contestants. The dispute process will begin once a judge has posted their judging. PM any disputes to the chairman (Currently Kazudo) where he will either attempt to, depending on the dispute, address the problem privately or publicly to ensure that the dispute is handled. NOT ALL DISPUTES WILL BE PRESENTED TO THE JUDGES. The dispute process is PRIMARILY as a method of correcting incorrect rule interpretations, math, or similar things.

For a somewhat new Disputes procedure: Each contestant will be permitted one dispute message per build per judge. Not one dispute, but one block of disputes. That way things can be figured out. THERE MIGHT BE SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES WHERE MORE ARE ALLOWED.

Concerning judging criteria: AS A PRE-EMPTIVE MEASURE, I would like to request that judging criteria be first PMed to the chairman (currently Kazudo) for a quick quality check. Once it is deemed worthy, it will be posted anonymously. JUDGING WILL STILL OCCUR AS NORMAL. This is to prevent any bias from individuals wishing to attempt to dispute certain measures of the criteria. It IS ok to say that you're judging, but don't indicate which criteria is yours.

Finally, I would like the judges, if possible, to take a moment and give suggestions on how the build could be improved. These should not impact the scoring or standing of the build at all and are simply a method of constructively being critical of the builds. Don't just tell someone how they did, tell them how you would have improved the build or what happened that you felt could have been done a tad differently. Please put all of these comments outside of your judging to avoid them being confused for judging points which can be disputed.

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 10:40 AM
FAC: (Frequently Addressed Concerns)

CONCERNING FLUFF REQUIREMENTS: Should an entrant use a component that has a fluff requirement (Defined as a requirement that has no bearing on crunch rules; see the Assassin for example) please see to it that the fluff requirement is defined and placed in the build. It doesn't have to be a narrative, but a basic breakdown on when and how it occurred, just to sate the requirements.

CONCERNING MULTIPLE ENTRIES: Currently, no contestant can enter more than two builds per person. This hasn't been a problem yet, but in the interests of keeping the pool of builds as understandably small as possible while still wanting to grow the community, I'm instituting a 2 build cap.

CONCERNING BUILD ALTERATIONS: Before the cutoff time and subsequent reveal, alterations can be submitted in whole to the chairman (Kazudo). Please format them as you'd like them to appear with instructions on where to place them. After the reveal, NO ALTERATIONS OF ANY KIND can be made to an entry, so ensure it's what you want to submit!

CONCERNING FLUFF FOR THE BUILD: In some competitions and circumstances, drastic character changes (Alignment, Race, Build Focus, etc.) may be easier taken by judges using fluff. Even fluff similar to "Then I had a change of heart and became good aligned" may suffice. This isn't really a fluff competition, but a mechanics competition. However, it may show poorly if you have a drastic change in mechanics without any explanation. This is squarely in the judges' purview.

CONCERNING EXP REQUIREMENTS: Each build is allotted exactly 200,000 EXP. This is roughly 10,000 EXP more than necessary to get to 20th level. Please take note of this when planning your character for circumstances like LA Buyoff, Item Crafting, Magic Use, Multiclassing EXP Penalties, etc.

CONCERNING PREREQUISITES FOR PRCS: The stance I as chairman take on whether one must continually qualify for a PRC is:
Unless the PrC is in a book with a clause concerning loss of class features upon failure to qualify OR the PrC itself has a clause concerning Ex- versions of the class, one does not need to continually qualify for the PrC to continue gaining benefits from it and taking levels in it.

1Q. Hey look! A CWar PrC! Does that mean?!

1A. Yes, it has to keep prerequisites or you lose class features and progression etc. I think this is a first for the competition to be honest.

2Q. Wait. Wasn't this a different competition a second ago?

2A. Yes. The Chairperson was under the effects of a daze spell and put forth an actually impossible challenge. So I changed it. Sorry.
More FAC to come, I'm sure.

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 10:42 AM
And actually, now that the dartboard's stopped spinning I've just noticed a pretty major problem. Hm.

weckar
2014-07-05, 10:43 AM
Interesting combination... It's not difficult to see what the hard part is here, and I don't think Ur Priest would have solved it anyway.

Sian
2014-07-05, 11:09 AM
something I notice is that it's impossible to have 5 levels of both of those. the lowest ammount of levels i can see is level 22 (and two different ways

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 11:12 AM
Well, I did add something to the FAC to hopefully allow some creativity to hit the table.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-05, 11:27 AM
Well, I said I'd judge unless it was an impossible round to resist, and this is a pretty easy one to resist. I'll fix up my judging criteria a bit, then send it to you.

I also have concerns about some rulings you put in the FAQ, but I'll include those in the PM to limit speculation.

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 11:29 AM
Sounds great. It's sounding like this might just be a fault with the dartboard. I might shuffle the ingredients a bit better before we get too far into this one methinks, like I had to do last time. Not allowed to start a new competition sleep deprived ever again.

...Yeah, found one I like better. Hold on for a slight reboot on this one. I'll get this chairmanning thing down soon.

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 11:51 AM
ALRIGHT. I changed two of the components around. Hope that does it a bit better. Anyway, back to the chalkboard.

I will not put impossible challenges up as Junkyard Wars episodes.

Amphetryon
2014-07-05, 11:58 AM
ALRIGHT. I changed two of the components around. Hope that does it a bit better. Anyway, back to the chalkboard.

The revision looks. . . better, and much less painful. I may have time to enter.

weckar
2014-07-05, 12:09 PM
Awwwww, I had just figured the last one out, too :(

WhamBamSam
2014-07-05, 12:40 PM
Okay, that's a much more reasonable. I've sent you some judging criteria. I've got a rough idea as well, but I'll just post the stub after the reveal.

One thing about the rules you laid down for spellcasting requirements before the ingredient change though, seeing as it's no longer speculation...

Requiring spell slots of the appropriate level is fine. Putting the kybosh on DMM Heighten for Heirophant entry is perfectly reasonable. Requiring the ability to cast two 7th level spells is not. I'm assuming the intent was to prevent Versatile Spellcaster cheese, but it also keeps spontaneous casters like Favored Souls from qualifying at the level where they get 7th level spells and effectively prevents Divine Crusaders from qualifying at all without list expansion chicanery or taking Heighten Spell as a feat tax.

Kazudo
2014-07-05, 12:44 PM
Right, and it was a slow realization that caught me afterwards that led to me having to take it down. There really wasn't anything I could do that wouldn't significantly narrow the builds that wouldn't count as blatant houseruling or homebrew, so I opted out of it instead.

weckar
2014-07-05, 01:10 PM
Welp, I suppose it is time to review fear and grappling rules! :smallbiggrin:

PraxisVetli
2014-07-05, 02:13 PM
So, just to make sure, it is Reaping Mauler and Dread Witch, right?

Kazudo
2014-07-06, 12:42 PM
Yes! The competition finally has its head screwed on as straight as it can be.

Irk
2014-07-06, 12:52 PM
These synergize a lot actually. In my sig I have a build combining these two concepts.

EDIT: Also, may I join the rudisplorking fan club?

EDIT2: Not that I'll be mimicking that build if I choose to enter. I already have a different idea, but regardless of whether or not I'm in I'll be watching with interest.

Telonius
2014-07-07, 07:36 AM
I'll be up for judging this time. Might take a day or so to write up the criteria though.

dysprosium
2014-07-07, 10:11 AM
This ingredient list is just too awesome not to try and put something together!

Kazudo
2014-07-07, 10:47 AM
EDIT: Also, may I join the rudisplorking fan club?

Hahaha! Feel free to be a fellow C.O. of the Rudisplorking fan club.

Irk
2014-07-07, 04:09 PM
Hahaha! Feel free to be a fellow C.O. of the Rudisplorking fan club.
Awesome! I'm in.

Deadline
2014-07-09, 12:05 PM
Huh. I can really only see this building out in one way. I'm not sure there will be much variation this round. I ... need to think on whether or not I want to enter.

weckar
2014-07-09, 12:12 PM
Personally, I have to bow to Irk; as I myself see little synergy here that would not be reaching. The forbidden ingredient is mostly... odd.

Deadline
2014-07-09, 12:34 PM
Personally, I have to bow to Irk; as I myself see little synergy here that would not be reaching. The forbidden ingredient is mostly... odd.

I know, right? Nobody was going to use fighter anyway, so having it be forbidden is ... nice? I guess? At any rate, I'm working up a frankenstein right now, as the juices are flowing. Now I just need to make sure I've got enough skill points...

Eldariel
2014-07-09, 12:44 PM
I know, right? Nobody was going to use fighter anyway, so having it be forbidden is ... nice? I guess? At any rate, I'm working up a frankenstein right now, as the juices are flowing. Now I just need to make sure I've got enough skill points...

It does remove Zhentarim Fighter which could've worked here decently.

Ikeren
2014-07-09, 01:30 PM
I'm curious what was up before this?

Hierophant + ???

I'll probably submit a build. I already have a loose idea.

Deadline
2014-07-09, 01:31 PM
It does remove Zhentarim Fighter which could've worked here decently.

Aha! I knew there must have been something I was missing!

weckar
2014-07-09, 01:40 PM
I'm curious what was up before this?

Hierophant + ???

I'll probably submit a build. I already have a loose idea.Reaping Mauler. I think quick consensus was that there was only one way to make it work.

OMG PONIES
2014-07-09, 02:07 PM
I've got a concept that's mostly for lulz, but we'll see if I can make it work...

Irk
2014-07-09, 03:29 PM
I look at weird playstyles a lot, so I was able to create my feat loadout and class/race combo a few minutes after seeing this. That's not to say that it is actually a good idea.

Speaking of which, I saw one of my favorites posted by Piggy (inspired by PONIES) in response to Tempest_Stormwind's new build on the Wizards D&D forum. It discussed using Juticiars hogtie with Factotum's Cunning Surge and Death Blow to auto-kill an enemy. Probably one of the coolest things I've seen recently. Over here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/4106141).

OMG PONIES
2014-07-09, 07:55 PM
I look at weird playstyles a lot, so I was able to create my feat loadout and class/race combo a few minutes after seeing this. That's not to say that it is actually a good idea.

Speaking of which, I saw one of my favorites posted by Piggy (inspired by PONIES) in response to Tempest_Stormwind's new build on the Wizards D&D forum. It discussed using Juticiars hogtie with Factotum's Cunning Surge and Death Blow to auto-kill an enemy. Probably one of the coolest things I've seen recently. Over here (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/4106141).

I inspired someone to respond to someone who inspired me to get into optimization? The circle is complete; the snake consumes his tail!

Irk
2014-07-10, 09:45 PM
I inspired someone to respond to someone who inspired me to get into optimization? The circle is complete; the snake consumes his tail!
Yes! we never have to optimize again!

Stormwind was one of my own large inspirations as well.

Ikeren
2014-07-11, 01:25 AM
Actually, I had an employment change, so I think I'll just be watching this one, at least while I get settled in.

Telonius
2014-07-11, 06:04 AM
Hey Mr. Chairman, did you get the criteria? (I know your PMs have been weird lately...)

Kazudo
2014-07-11, 10:30 AM
I did! It'll be hitting the page within the next few hours if everything goes slowly at work.

Telonius
2014-07-16, 07:19 AM
Just checking in - is the contest still happening?

dysprosium
2014-07-17, 09:08 AM
I would imagine so.

The entry deadline is July 19 so I'm guessing us contestants are putting finishing touches on our builds (like me!).

I've been away because of moving (which is a pain in the you know what by the way).

Kazudo
2014-07-17, 10:32 AM
It IS. Aside from work and play being a genuine concern I'm also somewhat worried by a lack of entrants.

By which I mean I have none. I have a lineup of judging criteria which I'll be posting soon (this time I swear), but I've had zero builds entered.

It's possible I've lost my touch and that someone else should man this competition.

Telonius
2014-07-17, 11:02 AM
If we don't have any entrants, maybe we could have a vote on the best judging criteria? :smallbiggrin:

dysprosium
2014-07-17, 11:04 AM
Kazudo: Don't let the (current) lack of entrants get you down. I really am working on my entry. Real life got complicated and prevented me from sending it in sooner.

Also this particular round of JW is not as obvious as the past rounds have been. Dragons? Lots of ideas spring up. Undead? Lots of ideas spring up. RKV? Lovely prestige class.

Zinc Saucier has been averaging about three entries since I took the Chair and I've had similiar thoughts of resignation. If you have a good core of interested parties (like there are in ZS and it looks like you have here Kazudo), they can carry you through the lean rounds.

But if I do end up being the only entrant . . . Hooray!

Kazyan
2014-07-17, 11:08 AM
Oh, okay, fine. I'm not doing anything for the next couple of days anyway, so I'll try to put together a build. It helps that less Vizzini is necessary than in Iron Chef.

Kazudo
2014-07-17, 11:10 AM
If I don't get at least three entrants (from different competitors) by the competition deadline I'll extend it by a week once. If it doesn't pick up then, maybe it's a sign that it might need some fresh blood running it.

Deadline
2014-07-17, 11:11 AM
By which I mean I have none. I have a lineup of judging criteria which I'll be posting soon (this time I swear), but I've had zero builds entered.

I'd be happy to take an honorary 4th place if you don't get any submissions this round. :smalltongue:

Deadline
2014-07-18, 01:18 AM
There, now you've got at least one submission. :smallbiggrin:

Sian
2014-07-18, 01:40 AM
Also have an half-finished build, but something just keep rubbing me the wrong way on it.

That said, i except to be finish it sometime today or tomorrow

Sian
2014-07-19, 01:08 PM
There, now you've got at least one submission. :smallbiggrin:

make that two submissions

Kazudo
2014-07-19, 01:18 PM
I have three submissions now. So, you know, everyone's guaranteed a place at least. Can we get a fourth so Deadline can get his usual spot?

...anyway I'm extending the deadline to Monday, the 21st of July at 21:59. Then I'll post what I've got and go from there.

Any suggestions for a fun Episode 6 can be PMed to my inbox. I'll probably use them if anything good comes up.

Irk
2014-07-19, 03:49 PM
Oh gawd, I still haven't finished, and I was boasting about all the synergy. I'll get it to ya mr. chairman, sir, I promise!

Muggins
2014-07-19, 04:10 PM
I've stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to deliver a fourth contestant, [REDACTED]. I'm not sure how I should feel about extending the deadline, but hey! More opponents? :smallwink:

Deadline
2014-07-20, 11:23 AM
Well, now I'm interested to see what the other folks built. I tweaked my idea slightly, but the core of the idea is still there.

dysprosium
2014-07-21, 09:33 AM
Looks like there will be a good crop of entries after all! I want to see them too.

sideswipe
2014-07-21, 09:39 AM
when is the deadline? i might chuck something together just to see what i get.....

dysprosium
2014-07-21, 09:44 AM
...anyway I'm extending the deadline to Monday, the 21st of July at 21:59. Then I'll post what I've got and go from there.

Kazudo extended it. Originally the deadline was the 19th. You don't have a lot of time but there is still time.

sideswipe
2014-07-21, 09:56 AM
hmmm just looked at the dread witch for the first time, not what i was expecting and i have no inspiration for it. i had a tonne of instant ones for the mauler though...... bad times

Amphetryon
2014-07-21, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately, I could only see one concept that made any sort of mechanical sense as a whole for this one. As a result, I fear my entry would be wholly unoriginal, and must abstain this round.

Deadline
2014-07-21, 10:17 AM
Unfortunately, I could only see one concept that made any sort of mechanical sense as a whole for this one. As a result, I fear my entry would be wholly unoriginal, and must abstain this round.

I had the same concern, but went ahead and built it anyway. If you aren't going to submit a build, would you mind PMing me to discuss what you saw as the only viable option? I suspect we are on the same page.

Kazudo
2014-07-21, 11:03 AM
Alright. I am here, it's been a crazy weekend (whatever you do, don't drink and rudisplork. It's not even a fun time) but I'm up. Once the deadline passes here in a few hours I'll post up criteria and builds. We got quite a crop once the deadline passed.

Amphetryon
2014-07-21, 11:14 AM
I had the same concern, but went ahead and built it anyway. If you aren't going to submit a build, would you mind PMing me to discuss what you saw as the only viable option? I suspect we are on the same page.

Sent you a PM, Deadline.

Irk
2014-07-21, 04:01 PM
Well, I feel like a complete ass. After having bragged about the combos between the classes and then promising to get my entry finished, I noticed a small detail that threw my entire build off. I REALLY liked the idea, and I think it had potential, but I just could not get it out, which is makes me feel not to great. Even, worse, I did some thing similar last Iron Chef (though my reasons were better then). Again, I'm sorry about this, and I'll describe my idea after the reveal.

Kazudo
2014-07-22, 11:08 AM
So, update, I'm currently unable to post the reveal until later due to health concerns. Apparently drinking the night before doing yardwork in 95 degree heat isn't absolutely fantastic for one's heart, much less a heart with established BP problems.

Stay tuned, Junkyard Warriors.

Deadline
2014-07-22, 11:26 AM
Yikes, I hope you'll be ok Kazudo!

dysprosium
2014-07-22, 11:34 AM
Take it easy Kazudo. Hope you feel better. We're not going anywhere.

OMG PONIES
2014-07-22, 01:38 PM
Take it easy Kazudo. Hope you feel better. We're not going anywhere.

Well, I mean, I'm still going to go places. But I'm totally going to come back.

dysprosium
2014-07-22, 01:49 PM
Well, I mean, I'm still going to go places. But I'm totally going to come back.

Not me! I'm at work for at least a couple of hours more. Ba dum ching!

Sian
2014-07-22, 02:08 PM
Does going to the bathroom count as going somewhere? :smallbiggrin:

OMG PONIES
2014-07-22, 02:19 PM
Does going to the bathroom count as going somewhere? :smallbiggrin:

Nah, you can "go" just about anywhere. But this is why you've got to keep your options open. :smalltongue:

Sian
2014-07-23, 02:47 PM
Feeling any better Kaz?

Kazudo
2014-07-24, 07:16 PM
UPDATE

The reveal is happening tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

dysprosium
2014-07-25, 08:14 AM
No problem. Real life is a cruel mistress.

Glad you're feeling better though.

Sian
2014-07-26, 10:53 AM
Decided to stall so it got into reverse sync with Iron Chef?

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 10:57 AM
Yeah. Er...no. Completely unintentional, really. I'm in an employment transition and I'm a bit busy at the moment. I will be posting the reveal now, PLEASE DON'T POST UNTIL I'm DONE WITH IT.

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:02 AM
"Today you're twenty-five, I made you something fine
It's in the palm of my new hand"

The Lady in Red
The streets of Bresk are made safe thanks to you, Lady in Red!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-3DJ0lsEOna4/UFxbkuQ0JRI/AAAAAAACCDU/pH4Hf0raQ_g/s1600/Lady+in+Red+-++Taras+Loboda+1961+-+Ukrainian+Portrait+painter+-+Tutt%27Art@+(11).jpg
original art by Taras Loboda

An Evening Meeting
”She wasn’t always known as the Lady in Red. They say she had a name. They say she had family and her father was a philosopher. But that’s mostly lost to history now,” the old dwarf sat back taking a long draw from his pipe.

“Right. Right. Right. We all know the stories, Bertok,” a human male interrupted. “Supposedly orphaned at a young age here in Bresk, she grew up on the streets fighting and wrestling. Supposedly her great grandfather was a vampire or some such nonsense and when he revealed himself to her she swore to root out his evil influence forever.”

“They are good stories, Inspector,” Bertok replied puffing rings of smoke towards the impatient looking human. “I love telling them over and over again.”

“All except the ones where you are involved keeping her from facing proper justice!” the Inspector quipped. “You are a known associate of hers. I want to know where she is and why she does this ‘street justice.’”

“No, Inspector,” the dwarf smiled. “You want to know how she does your job better than you do!”

The Inspector, frustrated that the dwarf was exactly right, slapped the pipe out of Bertok’s hand. Then he leaned into the dwarf’s face, “Tell me what I want to know! Now!”

“Do you really think you can scare me into telling you anything?” Betrok laughed. “The Lady in Red has told me once about the only thing that has ever scared her in her life, and believe me when I tell you this. It is not you or anything you can do.”

“You don’t know what I can do,” the Inspector sneered.

“You’re right and neither does she.” The dwarf was calm, unaffected by the idle threats the Inspector gave. “But she does know what you can’t do—protect the innocents on these streets! You know, Inspector, the refugees from both the War of the Burning Sky and the War of Elven Aggression. What are you and your men doing for them?”

“She makes it harder for us to do our jobs! There are procedures, rules, laws from the King to follow!”

“Your procedures do nothing for the innocent, Inspector!” a woman’s voice rang out from out of nowhere. “The innocents go missing or are dying in the streets while you and your men line your pockets with gold. Speak not to me of your rules!”

“Where are you Lady in Red?” the Inspector looked around. The dwarf’s office was just filled with books and papers. She could not be far. But then he could not move at all! What had she done?

She appeared from her invisibility spell, the lovely Lady in Red. “Inspector, you yourself are guilty of harming innocents of this city and as such will pay the ultimate price.”

The Inspector tried to speak but his body betrayed him. Damn you, Lady in Red! he thought to himself. Fear was starting to take over his very being.

“There there Inspector,” the Lady in Red replied. “I might well be damned myself but you will arrive there first!”

You read my mind? Get out of my head! The Inspector's thoughts raged.

“No, Inspector, I won’t. It tells me things I needed to know about your own illegal activities.” She approached the Inspector slowly. Her arms wrapped around the Inspector’s neck. He could feel her breath as she whispered into his ear, “And now that I know exactly how benefitted from exploiting innocents, I feel rightly justified by ending your own life.”

Basics
CG human female Battle Dancer 5/Reaping Mauler 5/Vigilante 5/Dread Witch 5
32 point buy
Str 12, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16
All ability increases go to Strength

Build

Level
Class
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Battle Dancer 1
+1
+0
+2
+0
Escape Artist 4, Gather Information 4, Knowledge (local) 2, K (arcana) 2, Search 2, Sense Motive 4, Tumble 4
Apprentice (philosopher), City Slicker, Improved Unarmed Strike (B)
Cha to AC

2nd
Battle Dancer 2
+2
+0
+3
+0
Escape Artist +1, Gather Information +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (local) +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1

dance of reckless bravery

3rd
Battle Dancer 3
+3
+1
+3
+1
Escape Artist +1, Gather Information +1, Search +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1
Clever Wrestling

4th
Battle Dancer 4
+4
+1
+4
+1
Escape Artist +1, Gather Information +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Knowledge (local) +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1

bonus speed +10 ft

5th
Battle Dancer 5
+5
+1
+4
+1
Escape Artist +1, Gather Information +1, Search +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1

dance of the vexing snake

6th
Reaping Mauler 1
+6
+3
+6
+1
Intimidate 2, Escape Artist +1, Tumble +1
Improved Grapple (B), Mobility (B), Superior Unarmed Strike

7th
Reaping Mauler 2
+7
+4
+7
+1
Gather Information +1, Escape Artist +1, Intimidate +1, Tumble +1

adept wrestling +1

8th
Reaping Mauler 3
+8
+4
+7
+2
Escape Artist +1, Intimidate +1, Sense Motive +1, Tumble +1

counter grapple, sleeper lock

9th
Reaping Mauler 4
+9
+4
+7
+2
Alertness
adept wrestling +2

10th
Vigilante 1
+9
+4
+9
+4
Bluff 1, Escape Artist +1, Hide 1, Intimidate +1, Listen 1, Move Silently 1, Spot 1, Tumble +1

detect evil, streetwise +2

11th
Vigilante 2
+10
+4
+10
+5
Bluff +1, Escape Artist +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Listen +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1

smite the guilty 1/day

12th
Vigilante 3
+11
+5
+10
+5
Bluff +1, Escape Artist +1, Hide +1, Intimidate +1, Listen +1, Move Silently +1, Spot +1, Tumble +1
Scorpion’s Grasp
quick search

13th
Vigilante 4
+12
+5
+11
+6

speak with dead

14th
Dread Witch 1
+12
+5
+11
+8
Bluff +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Spellcaft 1
Unnatural Will (B)
master of terror

15th
Dread Witch 2
+13
+5
+11
+9
Bluff +1, Intimidate +1, Knowledge (arcana) +1, Spellcaft +1
Necromantic Bloodline
absorb fear

16th
Dread Witch 3
+14
+6
+12
+9

fearful empowerment 1/days

17th
Dread Witch 4
+15
+6
+12
+10

delay fear, greater master of terror

18th
Dread Witch 5
+15
+6
+12
+10
Power in the Blood
fearful empowerment 2/day, horrific aura, reflective fear

19th
Vigilante 5
+15
+6
+12
+10

quick hide

20th
Reaping Mauler 5
+16
+6
+12
+10

devastating grapple

Skill Ranks at Level 20: Bluff 10, Escape Artist 18, Gather Information 9, Hide 5, Intimidate 16, Knowledge (arcana) 10, Knowledge (local) 5, Listen 5, Move Silently 5, Search 4, Sense Motive 11, Spellcraft 5, Spot 5, Tumble 18

Spells per day

Level
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

10th
0*
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-

12th
0*
-
-

13th
-
-

14th
-
-

15th
0*
-

16th
-

17th
0*

18th

19th

20th

* The Lady in Red has the required Charisma score for bonus spells.

Spells Known
1: cause fear, disguise self, master’s touch, silent image
2: blindness/deafness, detect thoughts, mirror image, scare
3: displacement, fear, haste, slow
4: greater invisibility, listening coin, shadow conjuration

Junkyard Showcase
Reaping Mauler: We have all five levels in the build. Battle Dancer gives the Lady in Red a great basis for this prestige class. Improved Unarmed Strike is gained as a bonus feat. Clever Wrestling is easily gained through standard means. Building upon these prerequisites are the feats Superior Unarmed Strike and Scorpion’s Grasp. The best part about Superior Unarmed Strike is that there is a damage progression that levels up with the character. With a permissive DM, one can argue the unarmed progression of the Battle Dancer can be used instead of Monk, but such a thing is not necessary as the progression of the feat is similar to the Battle Dancer’s own progression. Scorpion’s Grasp makes the Lady in Red’s attack style even more worthwhile as grapples are automatically started when an unarmed strike hits, especially since Improved Grapple is gained as a bonus feat from this building component. The class’ capstone of instant death for a maintainable pin seemed most appropriate for a Level 20 capstone, thus the delay of the fifth level of the prestige class.
Dread Witch: Again we have all five levels (with no breaks this time) in the build. Seeing the requirements for Dread Witch, the spell casting requirement caught my eye: ability to cast cause fear and scare. Sure these are relatively easy spells to gain for any Tier 1 or 2 spellcaster, but then I noticed the Vigilante prestige class has both of these spells on its limited spell list. The idea of the Vigilante learning to empower its own fear inducing abilities through Dread Witch seemed too awesome to pass up. Necromantic Bloodline adds spells known to our limited list including ghoul touch and vampiric touch. Grappling just got made a little easier and more profitable, especially if the Lady in Red can paralyze her opponent! She can even feed off of her victim via the vampiric touch. The Power in the Blood feat lets the Lady in Red cast these spells one extra time per day.
Putting it all together: Battle Dancer abilities are based on Charisma which flows well into Vigilante, the other non-specified part of the build. The limited spellcasting is based off of Charisma. Considering that the Junkyard has fear and grappling together, Vigilante seemed the logical place to go. Grappling and spell casting are usually mutually exclusive styles of combat. I’ve seen psionics paired better with grappling. Dread Witch also only advances arcane spellcasting which puts a damper on psionics. Vigilante has lots of skill requirements that unfortunately are not class skills for Battle Dancer or Reaping Mauler. Enter the first level only feats Apprentice (philosopher) and City Slicker. Gather Information, Knowledge (local), and Sense Motive are all class skills now which make qualifying for Vigilante much easier given this build’s premium on skill points. We end with BAB +16, and the fourth iteration of attacks.

Design Notes
The Lady in Red is quite easy to equip. She wears no armor and uses no weapons. Strength and Charisma boosting items are most important. Bracers of armor keep her Armor Class competitive. Early on in her career she plays similar to a Monk but has more social skills. She can be the party face thanks to ranks in Bluff, Gather Information, and Knowledge (local). She can tell when she is being lied to thanks to Sense Motive. The Lady in Red can also get what she needs from Intimidation. She has the speed to take advantage of her Battle Dancer abilities based on Tumble. Escape Artist helps with her should a grapple go the wrong way. By the time she takes Reaping Mauler she adds another form of combat to her repertoire. When she moves into Vigilante she can now augment herself and/or buff her allies during combat as well as make mooks run away. Dread Witch enhances these capabilities by continuing her Vigilante casting and by making her fear capabilities stronger. By the end of her career she can hold on to you and scare you to death!

Sources
Complete Adventurer: Vigilante prestige class
Complete Warrior: Reaping Mauler prestige class
Dragon Compendium: Battle Dancer base class and Necromantic Bloodline and Power in the Blood feats
Dungeon Master’s Guide II: Apprentice feat
Heroes of Horror: Dread Witch prestige class and Unnatural Will feat
Races of Destiny: City Slicker feat
Sandstorm: Scorpion’s Grasp feat
Tome of Battle: Superior Unarmed Strike feat

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:06 AM
Meh, I was quoting the band "WHY?" but I ran out of verses I actually wanted to post.

EL CHUPACABRA
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2012/279/4/2/bane_by_blacksadd-d5ewuh6.jpg

Background

Note: Read background in Tom Hardy's Bane voice for best effect.
"Now is not the time for fear, that comes later. Now is the time I will break you!" - EL CHUPACABRA

"EL CHUPACABRA does not need your adoration, your applause, or your approval! All EL CHUPACABRA requires are your delicious tears of pain, the musical snapping of your spine, and the beauty of your darkest fears. EL CHUPACABRA will take on all opponents, because EL CHUPACABRA knows no limits! Once, EL CHUPACABRA fell prey to fear due to foul magics, but he soon conquered it and held it close like a beautiful woman! Where lesser men would run screaming away from the horrors of the night, EL CHUPACABRA runs towards those same horrors to embrace them, and them crush them with his might! EL CHUPACABRA has studied under the famous War Mind and Luchador, Maestro Gris! At least three large foes have fallen to nothing more than EL CHUPACABRA's bare hands, and many times that number of women have fallen to his virility! EL CHUPACABRA is not impressed that you can swing a sword and kill a little kobold! EL CHUPACABRA fights with his heart, mind, body, soul, and machismo! This is the sobering reality of your situation! You do not face a mere man nor a simple beast. You face an avatar of the terror which lurks in the darkest corners of your pathetic, mewling body. YOU FACE EL CHUPACABRA!"

Build Table
EL CHUPACABRA
LN Half-Giant(+1 LA) Martial Wizard (Conjurer) 4/Dread Witch 5/War Mind 5/Reaping Mauler 5
Banned Schools: Enchantment, Evocation

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Conjurer 1
+0
+0
+0
+2
Escape Artist (2), Intimidate (1), Knowledge(Arcana) 2, Knowledge(Psionics) 4, Tumble (2)
Improved Unarmed Strike(B), Shape Soulmeld(Girallon Arms)
Abrupt Jaunt, Fighter Bonus Feat, Spellcasting

2nd
Conjurer 2
+1
+0
+0
+3
Intimidate (2), Knowledge(Arcana) 3, Knowledge(Psionics) 5

3rd
Conjurer 3
+1
+1
+1
+3
Escape Artist (3), Tumble (3)
Clever Wrestling

4th
Conjurer 4
+2
+1
+1
+4
Knowledge(History) 2, Knowledge(Psionics) 7

5th
Dread Witch 1
+2
+1
+1
+6
Escape Artist (4), Knowledge(Psionics) (8)

Master of Terror, Unnatural Will

6th
Dread Witch 2
+3
+1
+1
+7
Intimidate 4, Tumble (4)
Bonus Essentia
Absorb Fear

7th
Dread Witch 3
+3
+2
+2
+7
Spellcraft 4

Fearful Empowerment 1/day

8th
Dread Witch 4
+4
+2
+2
+8
Escape Artist (5), Tumble (5)

Delay Fear, Greater Master of Terror

9th
Dread Witch 5
+4
+2
+2
+8
Concentration 1, Intimidate 5, Knowledge(Arcana) 5
Practiced Spellcaster
Fearful Empowerment 2/day, Horrific Aura, Reflective Fear

10th
War Mind 1
+5
+4
+4
+8
Autohypnosis 1, Intimidate 8

Chain of Personal Superiority +2

11th
Reaping Mauler 1
+6
+6
+6
+8
Intimidate 9, Tumble 8
Improved Grapple(B), Mobility(B)
Improved Grapple, Mobility

12th
Reaping Mauler 2
+7
+7
+7
+8
Intimidate 10, Tumble 11
Psycrystal Affinity
Adept Wrestling +1

13th
Reaping Mauler 3
+8
+7
+7
+9
Intimidate 11, Tumble 14

Counter Grapple, Sleeper Lock

14th
Reaping Mauler 4
+9
+8
+8
+9
Intimidate 12, Tumble 17

Adept Wrestling +2

15th
Reaping Mauler 5
+10
+8
+8
+9
Intimidate 15, Tumble 18
Psycarnum Crystal
Devastating Grapple

16th
War Mind 2
+11
+9
+9
+9
Intimidate 17, Never Outnumbered

Chain of Defensive Posture +2

17th
War Mind 3
+12
+9
+9
+10
Intimidate 19, Tumble 19

Enduring Body (DR 1/-)

18th
War Mind 4
+13
+10
+10
+10
Intimidate 21, Tumble 20
Imperious Command

19th
War Mind 5
+14
+10
+10
+10
Concentration 2, Intimidate 22, Tumble 21

Sweeping Strike

Ability Scores

Starting Ability Scores (including racial adjustments):
Str - 16
Dex - 10
Con - 14
Int - 14
Wis - 14
Cha - 14

Final Ability Scores:
Str - 18 (4th, 8th)
Dex - 10
Con - 14
Int - 14
Wis - 14
Cha - 16 (12th, 16th)

Spells known, spells/day, powers known, power points/day
Spells/day

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-
-

12th
-
-
-
-
-

13th
-
-
-
-
-

14th
-
-
-
-
-

15th
-
-
-
-
-

16th
-
-
-
-
-

17th
-
-
-
-
-

18th
-
-
-
-
-

19th
-
-
-
-
-

Sample of spells known:
As a wizard, EL CHUPACABRA is not limited in spells known. That said, here are the spells relevant to his various tricks.
1st
Babau Slime, Cause Fear, Mage Armor, Shield

2nd
Balor Nimbus, Fearsome Grapple, Mirror Image, Scare

3rd
Fly, Haste

4th
Evard's Black Tentacles, Fear

Power points/day

Level
Power points/day

1st

2nd

3rd

4th

5th

6th

7th

8th

9th

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th

16th

17th

18th

19th

Powers known:
In addition to his Stomp 1/day psi-like ability, EL CHUPACABRA has the following powers known:
1st
Grip of Iron, Synesthete

2nd
Hustle

Level Breakpoints

Level 5

Early in his career, EL CHUPACABRA can play much like a standard Abrupt Jaunt conjurer. However, he prefers to get in close to his opponents and either choke the life out of them in a grapple, or punch them into submission. His spells assist in this process (Mirror Image, Mage Armor, and Shield all help him avoid injury while Babau Slime and Balor's Nimbus let him fry an enemy in a grapple), making him a far better grappler than any other. At level 4, with Fearsome Grapple active, he's got up to a +15 to his grapple check (+2 BAB, +3 Str, +2 Girallon Arms Soulmeld, +4 Powerful Build, +4 Fearsome grapple), which only goes up when he faces large or larger opponents. His fear causing abilities are mostly only found in spells, with some weak intimidation ability.

His Dex score is a straight 10, because he plans to spend most of his time in a grapple, where he would be denied his Dex bonus to AC anyway. And if he winds up in a grapple where the odds are not in his favor, he can use Abrupt Jaunt to break free.

Level 10

EL CHUPACABRA is now quite comfortable choking out those who dare oppose him while staring down their friends. He has finished off Dread Witch, and it's fear causing abilities are good, but won't truly be capitalized on until later. However, the increase in caster level and his Practiced spellcaster feat give him enough of boost to get an additional +4 from Fearsome Grapple (for a total of +8), which keeps him well equipped in most grapples.

Level 15 - "Lugar Dulce"

Now EL CHUPACABRA has nearly mastered the art of both the grapple and the menacing stare. His intimidate score is excellent, helped handily by Dread Witch, and he's gotten everything but the capstone for Reaping Mauler. Thanks to the Grip of Iron power he picked up from War Mind, his grapple mod is an astronomical +41 (+9 BAB, +4 Str, +6 Girallon Arms Soulmeld, +4 Powerful Build, +4 Improved Grapple, +8 Fearsome Grapple, +4 Grip of Iron, +2 Adept Wrestling), before adding in the bonus from Clever Wrestling.

Level 19

At last we see EL CHUPACABRA at his peak. He can strike terror into the hearts of his foes thanks to a sky-high intimidate, Dread Witch, Never Outnumbered, and Imperious Command. In addition, he can grapple with titans and win with his impressive +50 grapple mod (+54 when grappling actual Titans). So when he says he will break his opponent, he can deliver on his promise to break both their body, and their spirit. He also picks up on last, neat trick in the form of some unique battlefield control. Thanks to Sweeping Strike from War Mind, he can initiate a grapple against two adjacent foes at the same time, thereby trapping both with him in a grapple they are unlikely to escape.

Sources

Player's Handbook (Wizard, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple, Cause Fear, Scare)
Complete Warrior (clever Wrestling, Reaping Mauler)
Expanded Psionics Handbook (Half-giant, War Mind, Psycrystal Affinity, Synesthete, Grip of Iron, Hustle)
Magic of Incarnum (Shape Soulmeld, Bonus Essentia, Psycarnum Crystal, Girallon Arms soulmeld)
Spell Compendium (Balor Nimbus, Fearsome Grapple)
Player's Handbook 2 (Abrupt Jaunt Conjurer ACF)
Complete Arcane (Practiced Spellcaster)
Unearthed Arcana (Martial Wizard Variant)
Heroes of Horror (Dread Witch)
Drow of the Underdark (Imperious Command)

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:08 AM
God has given you one face, and you make yourself another.

William Shakespeare

Ga-Ryn 'Feareater' the Lawful Evil Goliath Totemist 2 / Swordsage 2 / Barbarian 1 / Cleric 1 / Ordained Champion 3 / Soul Eater 1 / Dread Witch 5 / Reaping Mauler 5

Ga-Ryn growled while climbing down the mountain chain where his, now former, tribe lived, exiled for eternity for what the thought was excessive death of their warriors in combat against the giants. The idiots apparently didn't think that without sacrificing a quarter of the Goliath warriors the giants wouldn't have fallen to the dastardly sneak attack on their flank, and they would have overrun the encampment.

While unfortunate, it's a question of getting the most out of it, and in this case Ga-Ryn was certain it was sacrificing the weakest of the warriors which he had picked out for doing so, and as thanks he's exiled?! Well, there's always someone, somewhere that needs a commander or a giant wrangler. It's the tribes own fault that they won't have him taking the tough choices about how best to defend them.

Ability
Baseline
Racial Modifier
Total

Strength
+4

Dexterity

Constitution
+2

Intelligence

Wisdom

Charisma

Ability raises are probably best used on Strength.

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Barbarian 1
+1
+2
+0
+0
Escape Artist 1(cc), Intimidate 4, Jump 4, Knowledge (Arcana) 1(cc), Knowledge (Religion) 2(cc)
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Grab (Spiritual Bear Totem), Rage 1/day

2nd
Cleric of Red Knight 1
+1
+4
+0
+2
Knowledge (Religion) 4
Weapon Focus (Longsword)B
Rebuke Undead, War Domain (Divine Magician)

3rd
Totemist 1
+1
+6
+2
+2
Knowledge (Religion) 6(cc)
Alertness
Wild Empathy

4th
Totemist 2
+2
+7
+3
+2
Knowledge (Arcana) 3, Knowledge (Religion) 7(cc)

Totem Chakra Bind +1, Level Adjustment Buyoff

5th
Swordsage 1
+2
+7
+5
+4
Jump 5, Tumble 5

Quick To Act, Discipline Focus (Tiger Claw)

6th
Ordained Champion 1
+3
+9
+5
+6
Escape Artist 2(cc)
Extend SpellB, Multiattack
Bonus Domain (Planning), Modified Spontaneous casting

7th
Ordained Champion 2
+4
+10
+5
+7
Escape Artist 3(cc)
DiehardB
Smite

8th
Ordained Champion 3
+5
+10
+6
+7
Escape Artist 4(cc)

Channel Spell, Divine Bulwark

9th
Swordsage 2
+6
+10
+7
+8
Escape Artist 5(cc), Jump 9
Presistent Spell
AC Bonus

10th
Soul Eater 1
+7
+12
+9
+10
Jump 13

Energy Drain 1

11th
Dread Witch 1
+7
+12
+9
+12
Intimidate 6
Unnatural WillB
Master of Terror

12th
Dread Witch 2
+8
+12
+9
+13
Intimidate 8
Divine Metamagic (Presistent Spell)
Absorb Fear

13th
Dread Witch 3
+8
+13
+10
+13
Intimidate 10

Fear Empowerment 1/day

14th
Dread Witch 4
+9
+13
+10
+14
Intimidate 12

15th
Dread Witch 5
+9
+13
+10
+14
Intimidate 14
Clever Wrestling
Fearful Empowerment 2/day, Horrific Aura, Reflective Fear

16th
Reaping Mauler 1
+10
+15
+12
+14
Jump 15
Improved GrappleB, MobilityB

17th
Reaping Mauler 2
+11
+16
+13
+14
Jump 17

Adept Wrestling +1

18th
Reaping Mauler 3
+12
+16
+13
+15
Jump 19
Practiced Spellcaster (Cleric)

19th
Reaping Mauler 4
+13
+17
+14
+15
Jump 21

Adept Wrestling +2

20th
Reaping Mauler 5
+14
+17
+14
+15
Jump 23

Devestating Lock

Maneuvers:

CharLevel
Initiator Level
Maneuvers Known
Maneuvers Readied
Stances Known
Maneuvers Learned

5th
Cloak of Deception, Counter Charge, Distracting Ember, Mountain Hammer, Shadow Jaunt, Sudden Leap; Stonefoot Stance

9th
Zephyr Dance; Crushing Weight of the Mountain

Meldshaping:

Level
Soulmelds
Essentia
Chakra

Default Soulmelds is Girallon Arms (Shaped to Arms, all Essentia), Rageclaws (Bound to Totem), Wormtail Belt (Shaped to Waist).

Spellcasting:

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

2nd
1+1
-
-
-

7th
2+1
-
-
-

8th
2+1
1+1
-
-

12th
3+1
2+1
-
-

13th
3+1
2+1
1+1
-

14th
3+1
3+1
2+1
-

15th
4+1
3+1
2+1
1+1

Extra Spells from Divine Magician ACF is Ray of Enfeeblement (1st), Scare (2nd), Ray of Exhaustion (3rd) and Enervation (4th)

Level 5:
Ga-Ryn starts out a bit unfocused in terms of which base classes he takes, but it doesn't matter to much since he can allready deal a fair amount of damage by having natural attacks which feeds into improved grab and the massive boost from Girallion Arms, and powerful build (for all intends and purposes i'm Large instead of medium whenever it makes me better at something), making a decent grabbler allready from quite early on. first level of cleric (and only, but as i'm expanding on it, it can't really be called dipping) also hands me some reasonable abilities to lean on.

Level 10:
Now we start rolling. Much lower penalties for attacking with secondary natural weapons, the ability to channel debuffing spells (Ray of Enfeeblement for easier grapple checks is an obvious contender), and draining levels from enemies, while dealing even more damage via Crushing Weight of the Mountain stance, which due to Improved Grab can be done simultaneously with regular attacking. one of the stronger spells to for self-buffing my grappling skills is without doubt Balor Nimbus from Spell Compendium, which deals a delicious 6d6 fire damage for each turn i grabble, extermely cost efficient 2nd level spell given my grappleing games.

Level 15:
Dread Witch entered and completed. My high saves makes it quite likely that i'm able to absorb and reflect any fear attempts that targets me (and when, once a blue moon i fail the check i can delay the fear for 2 minutes, giving me plenty of time to kill my opponent). With an +2Cha item i'm having enough rebukes to empower my Persistent Divine Power. Later on if items pan out, a +6Cha item paired with an Nightstick makes for a Persistent Balor Nimbus. Meanwhile, my Channeled spell can now become either Enevation or Ray of Exaustion depending on what i have available (Divine Power is cast through my Domain slot), leaving giving even stronger debuffing abilities against my opponents. No matter which of them it is in any single case, they're going to be Fearful Empowered for even further debuffing.

Level 20:
And Reaping Mauler entered and completed. My Grapple checks keep raising, with Adept Wrestling (for what little its worth) and Improved Grapple, while pinning the opponent (slightly less damage for me since i can't attack with my claws any more, but much more restricted for my opponent) i'm able to give them some extra checks every now and again with Sleeper and Devestating Locks.

My Grapple check would (with Divine Power on) be = +20(BAB) +8(str on 27) +4(Powerful Build) +2(Adept Wrestling) +8(Girallon Arms) +4(Improved Grapple) = 46, before any items is added either boosting my essentia pool and capacity in my Girallon Arms, or tomes of Strength or other items (if any exist) giving other bonuses to Grapple checks (or strength checks really).

Book of Vile Darkness - Soul Eater
Complete Arcane - Persistent Spell
Complete Champion - Ordained Champion (note Adaptation, which comments on use in non-greyhawk games), Spirit Totem (Barbarian ACF)
Complete Divine - Divine Metamagic, Practiced Spellcaster
Complete Mage - Divine Magician (Cleric ACF)
Complete Warrior - Reaping Mauler, Clever Wrestling
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting - Red Knight, Planning Domain
Heroes of Horror - Dread Witch
Magic of Incarnum - Totemist
Monster Manual - Multiattack
Races of Stone - Goliath
Tome of Battle - Swordsage

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:10 AM
[10 characters/less. Really, next time I'll have better stuff planned out. I kinda spontaneously just decided to do this reveal today.]

http://i.imgur.com/CW0rofR.jpg
Nyan (http://alexstoneart.deviantart.com/art/I-am-the-Night-194516439)
"I am the justice that meows in the night."

It was a cold, dark night. It couldn't be helped, really; most of the local druids had been ushered out of town over some plague in the forest. He didn't really mind, though. Less druids meant fewer people to watch him, and every criminal could appreciate that.

With the old hag's bag slung over his shoulder, he felt invincible. It was the adrenaline, he knew, but it still felt good. Making a clean getaway always felt so rewarding - doubly so if his target had been wealthy. Given the weight of the lady's purse, it certainly felt like it.

Usually, a running man stopped for nobody. Witnesses were never good news, after all, and they were usually cause for more work on the job. Still, there were some things worth stopping for. On that particular night, he came across a baying cat under the shade of a window garden. Small, clean and caped in an odd black cloak, he felt that it at least warranted some attention. When did cats start wearing clothes, anyway?

Alas, his decision was a poor one.

"Here, kitty kitty," he chimed, "c'mere while I catch my breath. Who's a cute little cat?" Panting and heaving, he cape to a stop beside the poor thing. It was awfully clean and well-fed for a street cat. Perhaps it had an owner?

The cat did not approach, nor did it purr in appreciation for his company. Instead it sat there, mewling and waving its right paw around in the air. He opened his mouth to ask what it was doing, but found his voice to be stretched and croaky. He could feel a pressure on his neck, to say nothing of the tugging at his hands and knees. He felt around his body, checking if there was something there, but found nothing. It was as if the air itself were strangling him and pinning him down..

"We found him lying in a nearby alleyway, not ten minutes after the bag was stolen. Atop his unconscious body laid an orange-and-brown calico cat, twitching its nose and staring out at us through its eyemask. Once the cuffs were on and the lady's purge was retrieved, it simply vanished - we're not sure where. Probably down a gutter or something."
- Jerik, member of the Westward Vale town guard.

Nyan, the Justice of the Night
Race: Tibbit
Classes: Sorcerer 6/Dread Witch 5/Master of the Unseen Hand 4/Reaping Mauler 5
ACFs and Variants: "Spell Shield" Sorcerer ACF. Replaces the familiar with a spell-powered damage sponge.
Alignment: Lawful Good

Ability Scores: 32 Point Buy
Base: 8/14/14/14/14/15
Racial: +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
Levels: +5 Charisma
Total: 6/16/14/14/14/20
Total (In Cat Form): 3/18/14/14/14/20

Hit Points:

Level
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

1st
Sorcerer 1
+0
+0
+0
+2
4 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 2 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 2 (Cross-Class) Tumble
Surrogate Spellcasting
Spell Shield

2nd
Sorcerer 2
+1
+0
+0
+3
5 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 2.5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 2.5 (Cross-Class) Tumble

3rd
Sorcerer 3
+1
+1
+1
+3
6 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 3 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 3 (Cross-Class) Tumble
Weapon Finesse

4th
Sorcerer 4
+2
+1
+1
+4
7 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 3.5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 3.5 (Cross-Class) Tumble

5th
Sorcerer 5
+2
+1
+1
+4
8 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 4 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 4 (Cross-Class) Tumble

6th
Sorcerer 6
+3
+2
+2
+5
9 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 4 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 4 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana)
Improved Unarmed Strike

7th
Dread Witch 1
+3
+2
+2
+7
10 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 4.5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana)

Master of Terror, Unnatural Will

8th
Dread Witch 2
+4
+2
+2
+8
11 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 2 Intimidate

Absorb Fear

9th
Dread Witch 3
+4
+3
+3
+8
12 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 5 Intimidate
Clever Wrestling
Fearful Empowerment 1/Day

10th
Dread Witch 4
+5
+3
+3
+9
13 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 8 Intimidate

11th
Dread Witch 5
+5
+3
+3
+9
14 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 11 Intimidate

Fearful Empowerment 2/Day, Horrific Aura, Reflective Fear

12th
Master of the Unseen Hand 1
+6/+1
+3
+3
+11
15 Concentration, 4 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 14 Intimidate
Steady Concentration
Improved Caster Level, Versatile Telekinesis

13th
Master of the Unseen Hand 2
+7/+2
+3
+3
+12
16 Concentration, 5 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 16 Intimidate

Telekinetic Wielder, Sustained Concentration

14th
Master of the Unseen Hand 3
+8/+3
+4
+4
+12
17 Concentration, 7 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 17 Intimidate

Full Attack Telekinesis

15th
Master of the Unseen Hand 4
+9/+4
+4
+4
+13
18 Concentration, 9 Spellcraft, 5 (Cross-Class) Escape Artist, 5 (Cross-Class) Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 18 Intimidate
Versatile Spellcaster
Improved Violent Thrust, Telekinetic Flight

16th
Reaping Mauler 1
+10/+5
+6
+6
+13
18 Concentration, 9 Spellcraft, 8 Escape Artist, 5 Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 19 Intimidate

Improved Grapple, Mobility

17th
Reaping Mauler 2
+11/+6/+1
+7
+7
+13
18 Concentration, 9 Spellcraft, 11 Escape Artist, 5 Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 20 Intimidate

Adept Wrestling +1

18th
Reaping Mauler 3
+12/+7/+2
+7
+7
+14
18 Concentration, 9 Spellcraft, 14 Escape Artist, 5 Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 21 Intimidate
Practiced Spellcaster (Sorcerer)

19th
Reaping Mauler 4
+13/+8/+3
+8
+8
+14
18 Concentration, 9 Spellcraft, 17 Escape Artist, 5 Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 22 Intimidate

Adept Wrestling +2

20th
Reaping Mauler 5
+14/+9/+4
+8
+8
+14
18 Concentration, 9 Spellcraft, 20 Escape Artist, 5 Tumble, 3 Knowledge (Arcana), 23 Intimidate

Devastating Grapple

Spells per Day Table

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-

Spells Known Table

Level
0lvl
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th

1st
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

2nd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

3rd
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

4th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

5th
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

6th
-
-
-
-
-
-

7th
-
-
-
-
-
-

8th
-
-
-
-
-
-

9th
-
-
-
-
-

10th
-
-
-
-
-

11th
-
-
-
-

Spells Known
Level 0: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Light, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand, Message, Open/Close, Arcane Mark, Prestidigitation
Level 1: Cause Fear, Shield, Mage Armour, Protection from Evil, Silent Image
Level 2: Scare, Blur, Locate Object, Phantasmal Assailants
Level 3: Dispel Magic, Haste, Phantasmal Strangler
Level 4: Scrying, Phantasmal Killer
Level 5: Telekinesis

Level 5: Sorcerer 5
Nyan begins her life as a Tibbit Sorcerer. Tibbits are fun because they can turn into innocent-looking housecats at will. Sorcerers are fun because of a) magic and b) explosions. Nyan, however, focuses on the former aspect of magic. Her spells serve as buffs and utility, from protective spells like Mage Armour to the ability to seek out lost purses via Locate Object. She also has a few [Fear] effects, from Cause Fear to Phantasmal Assailants, which can be used against her more weak-willed enemies. Phantasmal Assailants is of particular interest because of its substantial ability damage (assuming two failed saves).

As an aside, Nyan takes the Spell Shield Sorcerer ACF. This gives her the ability to turn spells into short-lived hit points, giving her some extra survivability based on her most populous resource. It might not be amazing, but it's better than some silly familiar.

To briefly talk about feats, Weapon Finesse is typical for characters with Nyan's focus on Dexterity. Surrogate Spellcasting, on the other hand, is a necessary feat for Tibbits who wish to cast spells in their cat form. Naturally, Nyan likes to cast spells as much as anyone else.

Level 10: Sorcerer 6/Dread Witch 4
After one final level of Sorcerer, Nyan detours into Dread Witch. This class is the first secret ingredient for this competition, and its various abilities provide a significant boost to her various [Fear] spells. (Greater) Master of Terror and Fearful Empowerment are a potent combination in their own right, capable of boosting the power of almost any spell. Unnatural Will is a neat fear-centric bonus feat which makes use of Nyan's high Charisma, and meshes naturally with Absorb Fear. Were it not for the mind-affecting immunities of many monsters and critters, Dread Witch could be considered a self-synergistic and viable prestige class. It's just a shame that so many of its abilities require other people to do things to you, rather than granting any form of direct agency.

While we do lose a level of caster progression, we still gain caster levels and extra spells. Dispel Magic and Haste are the go-to spells for any spellcaster, and doubly so when they'll be relying on attack rolls. For [Fear] spells: Phantasmal Stranger is our first foray into grappling enemies, and Phantasmal Killer offers us a(n admittedly rather shaky) save-or-die spell. Scrying is an old favourite, and Nyan loves it for the ability to track down troublemakers and hooligans.

As far as feats go, we've picked up the two prerequisites for the Reaping Mauler prestige class. They'll be of more use later, if at all.

Now, a word on the special entry requirement for the Dread Witch prestige class.

Special: Must have suffered at least one fear effect against which she failed her save.
Such an entry requirement is reliant on DM fiat to even provide you with any fear effects to save against (assuming her Phantasmal X spells don't backfire or that she doesn't, say, cast Scare on herself). On the upside, Nyan's high Will save is not capable of providing immunity to such effects and there's always the chance of rolling a natural 1. Assuming the correct alignment of the stars/rules, this requirement is mechanically possible to achieve. I thus leave you with a snippet of backstory for our caped crusader.

My first experience of fear? Why, it feels like yesterday - such an event is hard to forget, you understand. It was in a shipyard, back when I was starting out on my career as a vigilante. My fledgling self had tracked down some folks there, 'cause they'd kidnapped a child and were demanding a ransom. I should've known better than to charge in head-first. I'd ignored all of the signs that they had a spellcaster with them. Truthfully, I'm lucky that it was a mere enchanter rather than some collateral damage-centric evoker. Those guys are a real pain.

Level 15: Sorcerer 6/Dread Witch 5/Master of the Unseen Hand 4
Nyan picks up her final level of Dread Witch, then begins her slow transformation into a telekinetic grappler. We gain Horrific Aura, which is usually a pitiful, HD-restricted ability which grants us a small bonus against mooks. On a more useful note, however, it be used as a touch attack made of Fear ConcentrateTM which can be used to panic enemies and weaken their guard. Reflective Fear is another ability which relies on the actions of our enemies in order to benefit us, and might actually be a concern if, say, a Phantasmal Killer is redirected back at us (thanks to a successful will save from the target). Does the Phantasmal Killer get stuck in an endless loop (Nyan = caster, successful save redirects the spell back at its caster) until Nyan rolls a natural 1?

After finishing on Dread Witch, we make use of our 11th level spell (Telekinesis) to focus on our grappling side. While subpar, Master of the Unseen Hand works well as a combination of the spellcasting and grappling sides that our secret ingredients are demanding. The Combat Maneuver feature of the Telekinesis spell is of the greatest interest here, as it will allow Nyan to grapple enemies from a feline disguise, from behind cover and from a distance. The Sustained Force and Violent Thrust uses of Telekinesis have their own uses too, but they won't receive as great a focus as the telekinetic grappling side. As an added bonus, we get at-will flight and a better action econonmy when using and concentrating on Telekinesis.

As far as feats go, we work to shore up our waning spellcastng potential through the use of Steady Concentration and Versatile Spellcaster. Steady Concentration grants Nyan the ability to take 10 on all Concentration checks, significantly improving her ability to cast and maintain spells under duress. This is of the greatest importance when concentrating on Telekinesis. Versatile Spellcaster can be used by spontaneous spellcasters to grant extra high-level spells per day (a given, given Nyan's inhibited spellcasting).

A note on spells per day: Nyan's spellcasting progression only grants her three castings of Telekinesis per day, but that's more than enough. There's also plus one from having a high Charisma score, plus up to three additional castings via Versatile Spellcaster. As a rule of thumb, most parties can expect four equal-CR encounters per day and can expect combats to last for some 8 rounds. Furthermore, Nyan has a high caster level with Telekinesis (with each caster level granting her one additional round) and a solid Concentration check (the ability to always take 10 removes most threats to her concentration). Under typical conditions, Nyan's telekinetic abilities should be more than sufficient.

Level 20: Sorcerer 6/Dread Witch 5/Master of the Unseen Hand 4/Reaping Mauler 5
Seeking to perfect her grappling further, Nyan works to integrate martial skill into her efforts. Reaping Mauler signifies our final separation from Nyan's spellcasting roots, even if we do supplant the features of the prestige class with those of a spellcasting one (Master of the Unseen Hand). Reaping Mauler grants us a number of passive grappling bonuses, from flat grappling modifiers to duration-dependent grappling abilities. Both Sleeper Lock and Devastating Grapple benefit from Nyan's Telekinesis-based grappling style and her middling Wisdom score, keeping herself out of harm's way while still being ostensibly in it.

For our 18th level feat, we pick up Practiced spellcaster. Some extra caster levels never hurt anyone!

Another word on special requirements, this time for the Reaping Mauler prestige class.

Special: The candidate must have defeated at least three opponents one size category larger than himself with his bare hands.
This requirement is a mess rules-wise. Must my opponents be exactly one size category larger, or can they be two or three sizes larger? Must the opponents be of equal-CR, and thus a challenge? What constitutes defeating these three opponents "with his bare hands?" Regardless of these points, a tibbit is natively small-sized; three human crooks aren't the rarest of enemies. I believe the best way to demonstrate this is with more prose.

You wanna know why I like telekinesis? Well, it's simple; I was bullied a lot in my childhood. Kids are mean folk, y'see, and the toughest one always gets to go on top. That's just something you learn when you grow up on the street. It toughened me up, though. Taught me a lot of things, like how to involve myself in a street brawl without getting too many nicks and cuts myself. Those skills were a real help after I started the whole 'savior of the wronged' thing I do now. Why, this one time I took out three guys at once, with only my fists!

Player's Handbook: Sorcerer, Improved Unarmed Strike, Improved Grapple
Dragon Compendium: Tibbit
Heroes of Horror: Dread Witch, Unnatural Will
Complete Warrior: Master of the Unseen Hand, Reaping Mauler, Clever Wrestling
Savage Species: Surrogate Spellcasting
Races of Stone: Steady Concentration
Races of the Dragon: Versatile Spellcaster
Complete Arcane: Practiced Spellcaster
Dungeonscape: Spell Shield Sorcerer ACF

Spells
Complete Mage: Phantasmal Strangler
Spell Compendium: Phantasmal Assailants
Player's Handbook: All other spells

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:11 AM
And that's our four entrants. If I missed you, PM me and I'll use this post as its entry.

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:12 AM
How about some judging criteria, huh?

The maximum score in each category is 5; minimum score is 1.

Originality: Baseline: 1 point. Entrants will be awarded up to 1.5 points for race: 0.5 points for using a race that is not particularly suited to the secret ingredients (gains no bonus to strength or casting stat), 1 point for using a race that has a penalty to strength or their casting stat, 1.5 points for using a race that has a penalty to both. Entrants will be awarded up to 2 points for class: 1 point for using a class that is not an obvious entry to either secret ingredient, 2 points for something totally off-the-wall. Ad-hoc bonuses of up to 1 point for any other particularly surprising build elements.

Power: In this competition, there is a spellcasting ingredient and a non-spellcasting ingredient. Entrants could conceivably build a grappler with a side of casting, a caster with a side of grappling, or a mix of the two. Because of that, I will judge each build depending on where it falls in that mix. There will be no power penalty for a build that does not focus on spellcasting. (Note that a complete focus on one side, to the exclusion of the other, may have a negative effect on the Use of Secret Components score). The scores will have a baseline score of 3 (3 representing an average character). Up to 1 point will be awarded or subtracted for how well the character fills the role. Up to 1 point will be awarded or subtracted for versatility (measuring how well the character can perform in something other than the primary role)

Use of Secret Components: Baseline: 1. For each ability combination that explicitly makes use of both components, 0.5-1 points will be awarded. Ad hoc bonuses (up to 1) awarded for particularly clever combinations. Additional feats and abilities taken to improve the secret ingredients will be awarded 0.25-0.5 points (depending on how significant an investment the ability represents); maximum 1. Incidental benefits (i.e. getting better strength or casting stat generally, which has the additional effect of improving your Grapple or spell DC) do not count; only abilities which specifically improve the Secret Ingredients count for the bonus points. For each level of either secret component not used, there will be a -0.5 point penalty.

Build Stability: Baseline score is 3. Failure to qualify for (or use) either of the special ingredients will result in a 1. Other rule violations (failure to qualify for a feat, not meeting an alignment requirement, exceeding the maximum allowed XP, etc) receive a 0.5-1 point penalty per violation, depending on severity. Use of Templates will result in a penalty equal to the level adjustment divided by 2. There will be an ad hoc penalty of up to 1 point for any build that makes me think, “There is no way in Baator that I’d ever allow that at my table.” Entrants will receive a 0.5-2 point bonus for backstory or description that meshes particularly well with the mechanics. (Being a poor writer won’t negate the bonus, but there has to be something there to get it). Using only one base class will get a 3 point bonus; using two base classes will get a 1.5 point bonus. 3 or more base classes will gain no bonus or penalty.

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:16 AM
I hope my judges and contestants haven't forgotten about me in my absence. I do apologize sincerely for it. There's a huge laundry list of crap that's been going down and it all decided to hit at once. This isn't even pouring when it rains, this is deciding that rain isn't bad enough and throwing a tsunami in on it.

OriginalityStart from a baseline score of 3.

Up to 0.5 point of bonus or penalty based on whether the classes/race/ect you used were things I expected. Known cheese or standard handbook fare will see a deduction here.

Up to 0.5 points of bonus or penalty based on whether anyone else thought to use the same build components. You'll be worse off if you and another entrant used the component for the exact same thing (say, if you both jumped out at Paladin 5 for the special mount).

Up to 1 point of bonus or penalty to a build doing something interesting or something we've all seen it before respectively. You can fill a common niche without incurring my wrath, but I'd like to see a new spin on it. Cool factor in your crunch may see a bonus here.

Up to a 0.25 point bonus if I find your fluff to be particularly excellent.

PowerStart from a baseline score of 3.

General Tier level: I want to reward builds that manage to be powerful and versatile without giving T1s a free ride. Taking a Monk and optimizing it into competence deserves more praise than simply not screwing up a Wizard or Druid too badly. So the build's tier ranking will only be worth 0.5 either way. A T5 build will recieve -0.5 points. A build on the T4/T5 boundary will recieve -0.25 points. A T4 build will receive 0 points. A build on the T4/T3 boundary will receive +0.25 points. A T3 or higher build will receive 0.5 points.

Up to 1.5 points of bonus or penalty for how well you do the things that you do. For example, if you're a front line fighter, how good are you at hurting things? If you're a caster, do you lose a lot of caster levels?

EleganceStart from a baseline score of 3.

Each failure to qualify for a class or feat results in a 0.5 point deduction. Qualifying for all such things gets you a bonus of 0.5.

Up to 1 point of penalty for questionable rules interpretations and for any cheese stinky enough to make it onto my personal ban list (note that I'm pretty cheese tolerant, in general). Avoidance of such things gets you a bonus of 0.5.

Up to 1 point of bonus or penalty based on the overall flow of the build. A clean, flowing progression will score more points, whereas something that feels awkward may be penalized. As with cheese, I'm not going to try to be especially punitive toward dipping, unless you're really asking for it. If you incur multiclass penalties, change alignment mid-build for crunch reasons, or the like, you can expect to be dinged here.

Up to 0.5 points of bonus or penalty if the build just screams classy or is especially distasteful in a way not quantified by the above.

Use of Secret IngredientStart From a Baseline Score of 1.

0.1 point for each level taken in each of the SI classes.

Up to 1 point for good use of Reaping Mauler class abilities.

Up to 1 point for good use of Dread Witch class abilities.

Up to 1 point for synergy between the abilities of the two classes.

Kazudo
2014-07-27, 11:19 AM
And that's the end of the primary reveal for this episode. I believe what I'm going to begin doing is do public brainstorming for the next episode, then that way I don't have to worry about anything bulletproof. Honestly speaking if it becomes a given that the chairperson can be a flake at times, there isn't a huge benefit for people who happen to already know the ingredient. This ain't ICOCitP. Not NEARLY as important or watched, so it doesn't have to be QUITE as strictly ruled.

dysprosium
2014-07-28, 08:03 AM
From what I can see the Lady in Red and Nyan can protect the streets of the same city together. And I would pay to see a wrestling match between El Chupacabra and Ga-Ryn.

It's funny when there is synergy between entrants like that.

It will be interesting to see how they all stack together.

Amphetryon
2014-07-28, 08:50 AM
Interesting. The only concept I came up with was some variation of Dread Necromancer 7/Dread Witch 5/Leviathan Hunter 3/Reaping Mauler 5, perhaps a little more of X or a little less of Y to try to get it to fit.

Kazudo
2014-07-28, 09:39 AM
Interesting. The only concept I came up with was some variation of Dread Necromancer 7/Dread Witch 5/Leviathan Hunter 3/Reaping Mauler 5, perhaps a little more of X or a little less of Y to try to get it to fit.

Yeah, I liked the way Leviathan Hunter read. I was gonna use it in ICOCitP: Darkrunner if I could have worked out the race.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-28, 09:59 PM
My idea would have been something of a cheese fondue next to the actual entries.

The basic stub would have been Venerable Passion's Flame Dragonwrought Desert Kobold Battle Dancer 1/ Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian 1/Disciple of the Eye 2/Battle Sorcerer 4/Reaping Mauler 3/Incanatrix 4/Dread Witch 5. The basic idea was as follows.

1) Persist Fell Frighten Balor Nimbus, Blood Wind, Divine Power (access to Cleric Spell list through Passion's Flame), and Draconic Polymorph (even though you lost the benefit of the Clever Wrestling Feat when you become large, you don't lose the feat itself and therefore still qualify for Reaping Mauler), and a few others like Fearsome Grapple and Fell Frighten Babau Slime if possible, through Incanatrix. Fearful Empower your first spell that you intend to Persist to increase CL. I hadn't worked out the spellcraft boosting, but it may have included burning high level spell slots on Surge of Fortune to take 20 on the checks.
2) Anything that hasn't been successfully Persisted should be a pre-fight buff if possible. When within 100ft of an enemy, use a swift action to cast Extended Guided Shot (Metamagic Specialist to not increase casting time) then start raging. Attack them with no range penalties with your unarmed strike and all the natural weapons of whatever form he's in, and yoink them into his square with improved grab. They suffer a fear effect from Disciple of the Eye if they have fewer HD than me and were hit by the unarmed strike, then take another one from the Fell Frighten effect on Balor Nimbus.
3) Pin their terrified body down for a round (ideally using just one natural attack if you can afford the penalty to do so while using your remaining round of Guided Shot and Persisted Blood Wind to pull in other enemies) to Sleeper Lock them. Once everyone has gone limp, CDG them or somesuch (I hadn't really figured out if I had room to fit a good "make enemy my slave" spell, as I'd decided to judge anyway).

So yeah. Cheesy. Anyhow, I should be getting started on my judging either tonight or tomorrow.

Telonius
2014-07-31, 03:06 PM
Kazudo, someone must have cast Bestow Curse on this contest ... because I'm going to have to bow out of judging. (Long story short, instead of getting a 2-year lease renewal, the landlord canceled the lease yesterday and I have 30 days to find a new place for me, wife, kid, mother in law, dog, and cat). I'm really sorry I won't be able to get to this, but feel free for someone else to use the judging criteria. :smallfrown:

WhamBamSam
2014-07-31, 05:30 PM
I've been caught up in things, but I should be getting to my judging tonight.

Deadline
2014-07-31, 06:31 PM
I've been caught up in things, but I should be getting to my judging tonight.

I can't wait! 4th place, here I come! Woohoo!

Kazudo
2014-08-01, 09:50 AM
Ah hah! In that case, we'll be taking applicants for new judge. Or, if we don't have any interest in that, Whambamsam gets to decide the FATE OF THE COMPETITION.

You know. No pressure.

Sian
2014-08-03, 06:30 AM
How's the judging going?

WhamBamSam
2014-08-03, 12:33 PM
How's the judging going?Slowly plugging away. I should have been done by now, but things keep popping up. Fingers crossed for this evening.

Sian
2014-08-03, 12:36 PM
evening at which time? ... GMT or?

WhamBamSam
2014-08-03, 02:50 PM
EST. Sorry, I can be a little egocentric at times.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-05, 02:33 AM
Well, it took longer than expected, but here's my judging. I was judge B. We're a little past the judging deadline, but that's due to the late reveal, so I'm sure you guys will be able to get your disputes in.

The Lady In Red – 13.5
Originality – 4. 5 I expected people to dip Battle Dancer. I didn’t expect anyone to stay for much longer than a level, but I’m not seeing enough reason for the levels beyond first unless your DM houserules Superior Unarmed Strike to work for Battle Dancers the way it does for Monks, and it doesn’t feel right to give you originality points for something that’s just there for the sake of being there. Scorpion’s Grasp is well known for grappler monk-types, though I was kinda expecting people to just go Feral with the exp cushion for LA buyoff. Vigilante and the Bloodline feats were certainly surprises though. I’ll give you a little boost here. (+0.25)
No one else went the Battle Dancer route or thought to use Vigilante, and Scorpion’s grasp grappling and the Necromantic Bloodline stuff was distinct as well. (+0.5)
Vigilante for fearomancy with Necromantic Bloodline grapplemancy was actually sort of nifty. Not quite earth shattering, but enough to get you a solid bonus for being mechanically original. (+0.5)

And hey, I liked your story, so you get a little bump for fluff. (+0.25)
Power – 2.5 I would peg the build as being T4. You have some social and stealth capability with your spells, but not enough, and you’re going to have trouble contributing in combat against enemies that are too big to grapple, which is a lot of them, and includes a lot of the ones with the highest Fort saves, so Ghoul Touch will likely not solve the problem. Dread Witch getting your fear abilities through normally immune things is a saving grace here, and you’ve got enough decent spells on your list to keep away from the T5 boundary. (0)
Unfortunately, with medium size and not much by way of optimizing your grapple checks, you’re going to have trouble as a grappler. Reaping Mauler’s usual problems are rearing their ugly head. Your fearomancy also has problems, as most of your spells either do not have visual manifestations, or do not target enemies, though you start getting into the higher level spells that do work for Dread Witch by the time you actually start taking levels in the class. Ultimately, you come out looking like you should be optimized harder for your main tricks. (-0.5)
Elegance – 3.25 Most DMs will let you get away with it, but you do not qualify for Scorpion’s Grasp by strict RAW. Reaping Mauler only gives you the benefit of the Improved Grapple feat, not the feat itself. (-0.5)
Vigilante requires 8 ranks in Knowledge (Local). You only have 4 when you enter. (-0.5)
The build avoids ubercheese and questionable rules interpretations, as you note that Superior Unarmed Strike only works with Battle Dancer without houserules. (+0.5)
Yes, yes. 5/5/5/5 is very elegant, though the Battle Dancer levels beyond first still seem like they need more reason to be there. (+0.75)

Use of Secret Ingredient – 3.25 You take both SI classes to completion. (+1)
You put some emphasis on grappling, and I suppose Ghoul Touch does potentially give you time to finish targets off with Devastating Grapple (though if they’re stunned you could just CDG them anyway). You’re also stuck with the usual size problems of Reaping Maule. (+0.5)
You get a few nice spells for Dread Witch, but nothing about your use of the class really wows me. (+0.5)
There’s not much synergy between Dread Witch and Reaping Mauler here. The only spells that you can use both to inflict fear and when starting grapples are Displacement (which is actually sort of funny, as it will look like you’re sitting a few feet away from your target rather than on top of them) and maybe Shadow Conjuration. Fear does make opponents easier to grapple, but everyone has that going for them. (+0.25)

Judge’s CommentaryI’d have dropped all but 1 or 2 of the Battle Dancer levels to fit in things like Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian 1 and Paladin of Freedom 2. Most of your required skills come from feats, and most classes that would help your concept (like the ones I mentioned) either have Tumble natively, or can get it through Skilled City Dweller (which is thematically appropriate). Like it or not, dipping is how melee gets things done. That would have saved you a feat (and a qualification issue) on Scorpion’s Grasp, and would have netted you a bit of extra power.

That would’ve increased your score a bit, so between that and checking Vigilante’s entry requirements more carefully, you could’ve ended up with a good deal higher score.

El-Chupacabra – 15.75
Originality – 3.25 While Wizard grapplemancy is pretty well known, and War Mind grappling isn’t exactly revolutionary, I expected more Cha focused classes what with the Dread Witch’s emphasis on fear. I also somehow didn’t predict Powerful Build as a means of circumventing the limitations of Clever Wrestling, though I did see Girallon Arms and Imperious Command/Never Outnumbered coming. (+0.25)
Your wizardry, Sweeping Strike grapples, and somehow even Imperious Command were unique this round but there was another entry with Powerful Build shaping Girallon Arms. (+0.25)
You use standard grapplemancy and fearomancy spells. Sweeping Strike grapples, Abrupt Jaunt wizards, Imperious Command, and most of your other tricks are pretty standard as well. (-0.5)

Your fluff was a bit sparse, but it had a voice to it (even if it was a voice you didn’t come up with yourself). There may come a day when I grow tired of Luchador themed grapplers, but it is not this day. Enjoy your fluff bonus. (+0.25)

Power – 4 You have enough options and versatility through your Wizard casting that I can’t imagine the build dropping below T3. (+0.5)

It’s sad to not see Improved Grab in the build. You can Polymorph for it I guess, and share the polymorph with your Psicrystal, though you don’t mention it in your typical spells and would have limited uses/day. Still, it’s hard to argue with your grappling numbers, and have a bit of fear-op and other casting to fall back on as well, though like the Lady in Red, you tend toward buffing yourself, which means your use of frightful empowerment is mostly limited to fueling Absorb Fear. Unfortunately, arcane spell failure makes Fearsome Armor less of an option for you than it would ordinarily would be, which is a shame, as having things to do with your move action would be really nice when in a grapple. But whatever, you’re pretty good at what you do. (+0.5)

Elegance – 4.75 You qualify for everything. (+0.5)
You avoid ubercheese and questionable rules interpretations. (+0.5)
Another clean progression at 4/5/5/5. You’re a little unfocused what with all the different subsystems. I really don’t want to penalize you for that, as I firmly believe that anything should be fair game in any build, but I think it does cause you to fall just slightly short of perfect marks. (+0.75)

Use of Secret Ingredient – 3.75 You take both SI classes to completion. (+1)
You focus pretty hard on grappling, and Powerful Build helps the usual crippling weakness of Reaping Mauler that is Clever Wrestling’s size requirement, At ECL 20 you can use Sleeper Lock to set up Sweeping Strike CDGs against multiple enemies. Devastating Grapple is there as well, but isn’t doing much, but that’s sort of always the case when Sleeper Lock+CDG is an option, as it is for most grapplers. (+1)
You do less with Dread Witch, though Imperious Command does help you eke a little bit extra use out of that massive Intimidate bonus, and you have a decent selection of spells that work well with the class on your list, even if the usual list of prepared spells really just has Fear and things that you can use on yourself for Absorb Fear. (+0.75)
I don’t really see any particular synergy between the SI classes beyond the usual thing of fear making things easier to grapple. Without Improved Grab you can’t even use Fearful Empowerment touch spells and start grappling at the same time unless you take an extra action beforehand to hold the charge. (0)

Judge’s CommentaryThe chairman gave an exp cushion for LA buyoff. You probably should have used it. Other than that, I actually quite like this build.

Ga-Ryn – 14
Originality – 4 Cleric and by extension Ordained Champion were unexpected. I honestly thought Dread Witch was Arcane only until I went back to check for the purposes of judging your build. Divine Magician to get yourself into Dread Witch was clever. Swordsage wouldn’t have been the first ToB class I’d have guessed to show up in this competition, and Soul Eater was a surprise as well. I expected Totemist, Spirit Bear Totem Barbarian, though and I’m surprised we didn’t see more persist cheese with all the good grappling buffs that are rounds/level. Powerful Build somehow slipped my mind though. (+0.25)
Girallon Arms to boost grapple checks and Powerful Build to circumvent the size limit of Clever Wrestling were used by another build, but other than that you stand out from the pack. (+0.25)
Being able to channel a debuff (possibly with an additional fear effect) into an enemy with an improved grab attack is just the sort of thing I’ve been looking for in this competition. It didn’t come up in the recent Spellsword IC round either (though I did think about it for my Area Attack idea), so I’m comfortable calling it fairly mechanically unique, even if a lot of the components are standard optimization fare. (+0.5)
Your fluff is enough to tell me who the character is, and justify the multiclassing that he gets up to, but it’s not enough for a fluff bonus. (0)

Power – 4.25 You’ve got enough casting and other abilities that you’ll never dip below T3. (+0.5)
You’ve got an excellent grapple mod with Improved Grab and extra damage through Balor Nimbus, Rageclaws, and Crushing Weight of the Mountain, and have DMM Persist to keep your grappling buffs up all day. You’ve got some good spells for Frightful Empowerment both on the self-buffing through Absorb Fear side, and the frightening enemies side, and the latter fits in snugly with your usual grappling. What you do, you do well. (+0.75)
Elegance – 1.5 You do not qualify for Soul Eater, as it requires Weapon Focus with a natural weapon. Your Weapon Focus is with a manufactured one. Swordsage’s Discipline Focus only gives you the benefit of the feat, not the feat itself. (-0.5)
You lack the 4 ranks in Spellcraft to qualify for Practiced Spellcaster. (-0.5)
By my understanding, unarmed strikes are not a natural weapon unless you have the Monk’s unarmed strike ability or similar. So it takes a questionable rules interpretation to qualify for Multiattack. There’s also the issue of whether Soul Eater’s energy drain applies on all natural attacks/unarmed strikes, or is just a standard action melee touch attack. As you don’t qualify for Soul Eater anyway, and it’d be a small penalty, I’m not going to double dip you. I’m not going to take off any points, because the unarmed strike thing is so easily fixed by using the Unarmed Swordsage variant, but I’m not giving you your bonus points for avoiding questionable rules interpretations either. Small distinction, I know, but there you go. (0)
Your progression is kinda on the diptastic side. This isn’t so bad in and of itself (hell, I encouraged the Lady in Red to be dippier), but in the process of your dipping, you’ve run into alignment issues. You need to start as a non-lawful alignment to be a Barbarian, then become lawful to be a Cleric of the Red Knight. (-0.5)

Use of Secret Ingredient – 4.25 You take both SI classes to completion. (+1)
You put a lot of emphasis on grappling, and get around the usual limitation on Reaping Mauler through Powerful Build. You don’t really do anything special with Sleeper Lock/Devastating Grapple, which keeps you from getting the full point, but you do very well here. (+0.75)
You’ve got some good spells for Frightful Empowerment in its various applications, so that’s a decent use of Dread Witch, but the Intimidate boost is shoring up your check rather than boosting it to the crazy levels that some accomplish with the class. (+0.5)
You’ve got the best ability of the competition to deliver fear spells as part of your grappling in this competition, and your DMM Persisted Divine Power allows you to deal with the problems of Dread Witch having ½ BAB on a grappler build. (+1)

Judge’s CommentaryI really liked where you were going with this build. You just made some qualification mistakes. I’m not sure you can avoid the alignment shift unless the adaptation mentions another deity with the Planning Domain, but using the Unarmed Swordsage variant to qualify unambiguously for Multiattack is an easy fix which really costs you nothing. You might have to drop Soul Eater, for something else that you actually qualify for. Another level of Cleric would get you 5th level spells if you can get another point of Wis from somewhere. Between that, and making sure your skill ranks shake out, this might’ve been my highest scoring build.

Nyan – 16
Originality – 5 Sorcerer was expected, but Tibbit and Master of the Unseen Hand were completely out of left field. The surprises outweighed the expected. Have a quarter point. (+0.25)
You were certainly completely unique from the rest of the competition. (+0.5)
I’m not about to fault a cat that telekinetically grapples people into submission holds for a lack of mechanical originality. The points. Just take them. (+1)
It also makes for some charming fluff. And hey, since I made my originality criteria such that it’s theoretically possible to get a 5 without fluff points, this gets you up to a perfect score despite the expectedness of Sorcerer. (+0.25)

Power – 3.75 Assuming your grappling trick works (see Elegance) you’re T3. Immunity to mind-affecting can shut down a lot of your casting, even if you do punch through immunity to fear, but ranged grapples and some good buff/utility spells offset that. (+0.5)
You have a decent grapple mod with a favorable ruling (again, see Elegance), and the ability to grapple from range is snazzy. Your fear-op is potent even with the penalties to intimidate from being tiny sized, though non-spell based fear is unwieldy in combat without the standard tricks. You’re decent at what you do, but I don’t feel right showering you with points here. (+0.25)

Elegance – 3.75You qualify for everything. (+0.5)
While it seems, morally speaking, like you shouldn’t use your regular size category for Telekinesis grappling, I can’t see a clear-cut RAW reason for that to be the case. It kinda screws you over if you are stuck with the -8 for being tiny, as the trick is right at the crux of your build, so I’ve got to hit you pretty hard for reliance on a questionable rules interpretation. You also disqualify yourself for Clever Wrestling when in cat form, as it requires small or medium size. Some DMs might argue that this disqualifies you from Reaping Mauler as well, though I’m pretty strongly on the side that says you only need the feat itself, not its benefit to maintain qualification, so I’m not dinging you for that one. (-0.75)
Your progression is clean and straightforward. Full marks. (+1)

Use of Secret Ingredient – 3.5 Both SI classes are taken to completion. (+1)
You can grapple pretty well, (again, assuming a favorable ruling on Telekinisis) and pinning from a distance feels like a reasonable use of Sleeper Lock/Fearsome Grapple. (+0.75)
You’ve got a few good fear spells for use with Dread Witch, and some are decent enough options for Fearful Empowering I suppose, even if they already have the descriptor part. Shame that tiny size eats up so much of the intimidate bonus. (+0.5)
There’s not much synergy between the classes here. All you really have is Telekinisis getting you around the poor BAB from Dread Witch. (+0.25)

Judge’s CommentaryIf it’s ruled that your size does matter for the purposes of Telekinesis grappling, then Primordial Half-Giant with its LA bought off would be a reasonable choice for a less cuddly take on the same schtick.

dysprosium
2014-08-05, 08:11 AM
Thanks for judging WhamBamSam!

Deadline
2014-08-05, 10:15 AM
Yay! Judging! Is this a one-judge contest?

dysprosium
2014-08-05, 10:27 AM
It might be unless Kazudo decides to get/acquire/press into service a second judge. I don't think the two week time limit has been reached but this competition has been known to end early.

Kazudo
2014-08-05, 05:18 PM
Well, if I had the kind of pull on this site that I do elsewhere and in person, I probably would have threatened, conscripted, or otherwise voluntold requested someone else add to the judging, but frankly I'm just glad I got entrants and a judge at all. Not to mention plenty of words of encouragement which have really helped. (plus some pretty neat recommendations on future contests that I'm gonna HAVE to use).

I'm gonna let it sit until Friday, then we'll just go with what we have and move on from there. Hopefully Episode VI isn't TOO bad.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-09, 10:26 PM
So is this one over then? Did I really make it out with no disputes as a solo judge?

Sian
2014-08-10, 02:00 PM
don't believe that since I know that i sent in a few disputes

Anlashok
2014-08-10, 06:44 PM
Hopefully Episode VI isn't TOO bad.

I think you might be better off going with a more traditional combination. Episodes 1 and 2 were sort of "make a fairly standard build without the standard component", which I thought was pretty cool.

Dread Witch + Reaping Mauler on the other hand honestly just looks like two darts on a dartboard.

dysprosium
2014-08-11, 08:34 AM
I thought that Kazudo was going for the dartboard look this round. :smalleek:

I know I didn't send in any disputes--the judging was spot on for my entry.

I hope our Chairman is ok.

OMG PONIES
2014-08-13, 09:18 PM
I thought that Kazudo was going for the dartboard look this round. :smalleek:

I know I didn't send in any disputes--the judging was spot on for my entry.

I hope our Chairman is ok.

Kazudo and I were PMing about his selection for next round. As always, I'll offer my assistance to keep this thing going without ruffling any feathers. If two weeks go by without another check-in from our Chair, I offer to call this round where it is and chair the next round. How does that sound?

dysprosium
2014-08-15, 02:17 PM
I'm ok with Ponies suggestion.

I would hate to see this competition fall by the wayside.

Sian
2014-08-15, 02:32 PM
Two weeks from last log-on i'd suggest ...

OMG PONIES
2014-08-15, 07:48 PM
Two weeks from last log-on i'd suggest ...

That's only 4 days away; I'd like to give our chairman more time than that.

Deadline
2014-08-21, 12:04 PM
Has anyone heard word from the chairman? I sure hope Kazudo is ok. :smallfrown:

Telonius
2014-08-21, 12:07 PM
Life does happen. This was a particularly rocky installment for a bunch of people.

To that point - just finished the move! I'll probably be up for judging next time around.

OMG PONIES
2014-08-21, 01:53 PM
Indeed, I hope he's okay as well. If we don't hear from him by next Wednesday (8/27), I'll post the Reveal here and start up the next round. Entrants, please PM me with which build was yours.

sakuuya
2014-08-28, 11:25 AM
Any chance of a reveal? I know Ponies is busy judging IC, and Kazudo hasn't logged back in, but I don't want this competition to disappear.

dysprosium
2014-08-28, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to PM OMG Ponies which one was my build. :smallredface:

Sian
2014-08-28, 11:32 AM
same same Dys... forgot it as well (or rather, i missed the request from him)

Deadline
2014-08-28, 11:37 AM
Assuming everyone has PM'd PONIES, hopefully we can get a reveal this week?

And Kazudo, I hope things are ok with you!

OMG PONIES
2014-08-29, 05:14 AM
And now, it brings me great pleasure to reveal...

In first place, taking home one million happy thoughts...Nyan, by Muggins!
In second place, taking home 30,000 hugs...El Chupacabra, by Deadline!
In third place, taking home the pride of a job well done...Ga-Ryn, by Sian!
In fourth place, taking home a renewed sense of purpose in life...The Lady in Red, by Dysprosium!

Now what else do you kids want? Go home! Get off my lawn! New round to begin Monday, 9/1/14.

Sian
2014-08-29, 05:53 AM
actually kinda sad that noone caught onto the stealth pun in my entry. Ga-Ryn is an anagram for Angry :smalltongue:

dysprosium
2014-08-29, 08:29 AM
The judging was spot on for the Lady in Red.

I don't know what I was thinking with the skill requirements and I thought I had it mapped out right. :smallredface:

I guess dipping other melee classes would have helped my power but I've been dinged for too much dipping in other competitions before. Thus my staying in Battle Dancer for as long as I did. I also liked that the spread was 5/5/5/5. Plus I hate the reliance that the optimizers have on the Pouncebarian. I really dislike that alternate class feature. What did people do before Complete Champion?

Any hints on the next round?

I also hope Kazudo is ok. I know the rudisplorkers miss you!

WhamBamSam
2014-08-29, 11:51 AM
The judging was spot on for the Lady in Red.

I don't know what I was thinking with the skill requirements and I thought I had it mapped out right. :smallredface:

I guess dipping other melee classes would have helped my power but I've been dinged for too much dipping in other competitions before. Thus my staying in Battle Dancer for as long as I did. I also liked that the spread was 5/5/5/5. Plus I hate the reliance that the optimizers have on the Pouncebarian. I really dislike that alternate class feature. What did people do before Complete Champion?

I also hope Kazudo is ok. I know the rudisplorkers miss you!I recommended Spirit Bear Totem for Improved Grab, not Spirit Lion Totem for Pounce. Or did you mean that you dislike the Spiritual Totems in general?

Different judges do things differently. I like to see choices justified. Admittedly, a shameless elegance grab is somewhat less of a thing than a shameless power grab or originality grab, but it still doesn't sit right to see levels that aren't there for any reason other than to not be dips.

None of that's to say that I disliked the Lady in Red though. I honestly thought everyone performed admirably given the dartboard nature of the ingredients.

dysprosium
2014-08-29, 12:39 PM
Since your judging was so long ago, I had to reread it to see.

I remember now thinking in my own head canon that you said lion totem, but I see now you said bear totem. It does make more sense but my brain saw spirit and totem and put lion there all on its own. (It's the lion totem I'm not too keen on because it seems like everybody takes it.) So I apologize for that.

I would definitely consider your recommondations if I was going to play the Lady in Red in a campaign, even though I liked how she came out the way she did.

It was a good round and I think everyone did a good job with the dartboard assignment.

DeAnno
2014-08-29, 05:42 PM
So are we going to see Round 6? I know OMG Ponies is already hard at work judging one Iron Chef, so clearly he needs to work harder so he can organize this one as well!

Troacctid
2014-08-29, 06:22 PM
I wanted to submit a build for this one, but I had trouble finding a way to make the pieces fit together and never finished it. The best I came up with was Half-Ogre LA 2/Spirit Bear Totem Favored Enemy Barbarian 1/[Some casting class] 4/Dread Witch 5/Leviathan Hunter 3/Reaping Mauler 5 with the character gaining the Lost template halfway through the build to connect the grappler half to the fear half.

WhamBamSam
2014-08-29, 06:25 PM
So are we going to see Round 6? I know OMG Ponies is already hard at work judging one Iron Chef, so clearly he needs to work harder so he can organize this one as well!Ponies said September 1st (Monday) in his post.

OMG PONIES
2014-08-30, 06:33 AM

Consider the date.

So are we going to see Round 6? I know OMG Ponies is already hard at work judging one Iron Chef, so clearly he needs to work harder so he can organize this one as well!

Ponies said September 1st (Monday) in his post.

Yep, this one's coming. It may be a little wacky for some, but that's the way I roll.

Sian
2014-08-30, 07:57 AM
Monk something? :smallcool:

WhamBamSam
2014-08-30, 10:23 AM
Monk something? :smallcool:I think that he's referring to the fact that that's Labor Day here in the US, rather than being a Monday/Monkday. No idea what that might mean as far as ingredient speculation though, as there's not all that much that's really "worker" themed. Getting out of your day job is part of the appeal of adventuring. Maybe we'll somehow have to incorporate the Profession skill. Maybe it's the last barbecue or beach day of summer and we'll have to build a blaster or something ocean-themed.

dysprosium
2014-08-31, 09:05 PM
Using dndtools I couldn't find much that used "labor" in either its title or description.

But there is an old rule about not wearing white after Labor Day. And there are a lot more hits with the word white . . .

WhamBamSam
2014-08-31, 09:56 PM
Using dndtools I couldn't find much that used "labor" in either its title or description.

But there is an old rule about not wearing white after Labor Day. And there are a lot more hits with the word white . . .There's a thought. A white forbidden ingredient seems plausible. Doing the same dndtools search myself, White Raven seems to be the biggest thing that we'd really miss. So maybe some manner of Warblade/Crusader thing without that discipline.

OMG PONIES
2014-08-31, 10:17 PM
Hi everyone, our next round is being posted a little early!

Junkyard Wars Episode VI! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?369604-Junkyard-Wars-in-the-Playground-VI-Wonderworker-Profession-Skill-Factotum)

I think that he's referring to the fact that that's Labor Day here in the US, rather than being a Monday/Monkday. No idea what that might mean as far as ingredient speculation though, as there's not all that much that's really "worker" themed. Getting out of your day job is part of the appeal of adventuring. Maybe we'll somehow have to incorporate the Profession skill. Maybe it's the last barbecue or beach day of summer and we'll have to build a blaster or something ocean-themed.

Very wise, good sir. I kicked around using [Fire] effects and an aquatic race, but it didn't scream "Labor Day" as much to me. Granted, I don't really want anyone running up to me and screaming anything, but still...

But there is an old rule about not wearing white after Labor Day. And there are a lot more hits with the word white . . .

There's a thought. A white forbidden ingredient seems plausible. Doing the same dndtools search myself, White Raven seems to be the biggest thing that we'd really miss. So maybe some manner of Warblade/Crusader thing without that discipline.

You guys were cracking me up with this. Once again, my brave fellow forumites have elevated the game to a new level.