PDA

View Full Version : Hilgya

lolthfollower
2014-07-05, 12:17 PM
Whatever happened to the Linear Guild's original cleric, Hilgya? Did she go back to dwarven lands, get killed when Elan blew up the gate, or just wander around, doing her own thing? I originally thought she would be a recurring villain with a soft spot for Durkon, but it's been precisely 874 strips since she ran off

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-05, 01:06 PM
No one (except possibly The Giant) knows what happened to her. I suspect she wanders around.

Peelee
2014-07-05, 01:06 PM
or just wander around, doing her own thing?

That one. She was a one-off character that fulfilled her role and was never heard from again. Say that she's still out there on her own adventures and call it "worldbuilding," if you want to make it sound nicer.

bertoltus
2014-07-05, 02:32 PM
That one. She was a one-off character that fulfilled her role and was never heard from again. Say that she's still out there on her own adventures and call it "worldbuilding," if you want to make it sound nicer.

But what exactly would that role have been? Completing the Linear Guild? Building Durkon's character? Or could it be something more? We do know that the undead-Durkon-arc is as old as the strip itself, only the way and time it would play out wasn't clear. Maybe her central purpose to the plot is to raise Durkon. It would make a lot of sense, especially since she got pregnant.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-05, 03:00 PM
But what exactly would that role have been? Completing the Linear Guild? Building Durkon's character? Or could it be something more? We do know that the undead-Durkon-arc is as old as the strip itself, only the way and time it would play out wasn't clear. Maybe her central purpose to the plot is to raise Durkon. It would make a lot of sense, especially since she got pregnant.

She got pregnant?

Rogar Demonblud
2014-07-05, 03:06 PM
Recurrent fan thesis with absolutely no supporting data. In fact, for all we know and for all the influence she's had since she ran off, she was probably sobbing in a corner of the dungeon when it blew up.

Peelee
2014-07-05, 03:40 PM

Questionable claim of pregnancy aside, how would that make sense? Her central propose in the story was already fulfilled.

lolthfollower
2014-07-05, 04:35 PM
That tiny little bit with Hilgya and Durkon, if I remember correctly, didn't even have many jokes. There must be some reason for her running off and not letting us know what happened to her. Honestly, I think the only clear purpose she would have at the moment is to un-vamp Durkon. Either that or The Giant forgot about her, is saving her for some other time, or just doesn't care about her.

Keltest
2014-07-05, 04:36 PM
That tiny little bit with Hilgya and Durkon, if I remember correctly, didn't even have many jokes. There must be some reason for her running off and not letting us know what happened to her. Honestly, I think the only clear purpose she would have at the moment is to un-vamp Durkon. Either that or The Giant forgot about her, is saving her for some other time, or just doesn't care about her.

It had a fair number of jokes, but it also served to give Durkon one of his rare moments of character development.

NerdyKris
2014-07-05, 05:53 PM
Questionable claim of pregnancy aside, how would that make sense? Her central propose in the story was already fulfilled.

While I agree that the pregnancy guess is a bit of a stretch, you cannot definitively state that a character's narrative purpose has already been fulfilled when you haven't seen the full story. You could have made the same argument about Z right up until his re-appearance, and he had even fewer lines.

Avian Overlord
2014-07-05, 06:08 PM
Given her, ah entire identity, I sincerely doubt we will be seeing Hilgya in the dwarven lands.

NerdyKris
2014-07-05, 06:30 PM
Given her, ah entire identity, I sincerely doubt we will be seeing Hilgya in the dwarven lands.

What do you mean? What about her identity means she wouldn't be in Dwarven lands? They could be fairly large. Just because Durkon and his mother are steadfast followers of law doesn't mean most dwarves could care less about her leaving her husband.

Morty
2014-07-05, 06:32 PM
Hilgya expressed her disdain for the dwarven customs rather strongly, saying that she much prefers living among humans. Given that Durkon rejected her based on the same customs and laws, I really wouldn't be surprised if she decided never to have anything to do with other dwarves ever again.

137beth
2014-07-05, 06:41 PM
Recurrent fan thesis with absolutely no supporting data. In fact, for all we know and for all the influence she's had since she ran off, she was probably sobbing in a corner of the dungeon when it blew up.

IIRC it was confirmed that everyone escaped from the Dungeon of Dorukan before it blew up. I can't find it in the Index though.

She probably isn't coming back into the series, though, and she almost certainly isn't in dwarven lands.

Jay R
2014-07-05, 07:15 PM
She is a named character who appeared briefly early in the story, had a one-night stand with a character who rarely or never has them, and then disappeared from the story without a trace.

OF COURSE Durkon's son or daughter is going to appear at some dramatically appropriate moment.

Boogastreehouse
2014-07-05, 07:37 PM

OF COURSE Durkon's son or daughter is going to appear at some dramatically appropriate moment.

I have to agree that it seems like the sort of thing that you follow up on again later. In fact the only reason I could really see for the Giant ignoring it would be because so many people expect it.

Remember, the child of their union will only be, like, a year old, and I expect that the baby will probably only be relevant story-wise in showing that life will continue after Durkon's death.

Jay R
2014-07-05, 08:05 PM
Remember, the child of their union will only be, like, a year old, and I expect that the baby will probably only be relevant story-wise in showing that life will continue after Durkon's death.

I've had this hazy notion that she will show up with a baby, the HPoH won't recognize her, or will have no interest in the baby, and that will show Roy that it isn't Durkon.

Keltest
2014-07-05, 08:09 PM
I've had this hazy notion that she will show up with a baby, the HPoH won't recognize her, or will have no interest in the baby, and that will show Roy that it isn't Durkon.

Assuming that he doesn't accidentally go "Who are you?" because he didn't know he needed to look for the memories, that probably wouldn't happen. He is trying to emulate the very much Lawful Durkon, who would feel obligated at the very least to ensure the baby doesn't die, or that Hilgya and child don't starve because of the costs of feeding two.

rodneyAnonymous
2014-07-05, 08:26 PM
In addition to serving other "story purposes", Hilgya firmly established how lawful Durkon is.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-05, 08:27 PM
Hilgya expressed her disdain for the dwarven customs rather strongly, saying that she much prefers living among humans. Given that Durkon rejected her based on the same customs and laws, I really wouldn't be surprised if she decided never to have anything to do with other dwarves ever again.

This is how I feel as well. I would be quite surprised if the Order runs into her in the Dwarven Lands.

martianmister
2014-07-05, 09:47 PM
She's happily married to a certain cleric of Loki from Greysky.

NerdyKris
2014-07-05, 09:56 PM

The Order has no idea Durkon and Hilgya did anything. They don't know he was with her. For all they know she died when she fell over the edge. Durkon never told them and walked up to them alone. Not remembering a random Linear Guild member from over a year ago is not exactly proof that he's not Durkon. He could easily talk his way out of it. And keep in mind that he can access Durkon's memories instantaneously. He can go through every dwarf Durkon ever met in the split second it takes to say hello if he wanted.

Yendor
2014-07-05, 11:15 PM
I sincerely hope that if Rich wanted to bring Hilgya back, he can do better with her character than, "that girl Durkon knocked up once". Besides, she's hardly the type of person to care about looking after an unwanted child, much less insisting that Durkon support her. It's far more likely she'd leave the child at an orphanage. If she could be bothered to make the effort, she might dump it on her husband.

Peelee
2014-07-05, 11:28 PM
While I agree that the pregnancy guess is a bit of a stretch, you cannot definitively state that a character's narrative purpose has already been fulfilled when you haven't seen the full story. You could have made the same argument about Z right up until his re-appearance, and he had even fewer lines.

Fair point. It is still baseless speculation, however.

Quartz
2014-07-06, 05:53 AM
I trust that if she were to return, the Giant will have a good story and a good few jokes for us.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-06, 05:59 AM
I trust that if she were to return, the Giant will have a good story and a good few jokes for us.

Probably. I am not counting on it, though.

MReav
2014-07-06, 09:04 AM

We've seen her as far into it as 668 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0668.html), so I doubt he forgot her.

NerdyKris
2014-07-06, 09:21 AM
I sincerely hope that if Rich wanted to bring Hilgya back, he can do better with her character than, "that girl Durkon knocked up once". Besides, she's hardly the type of person to care about looking after an unwanted child, much less insisting that Durkon support her. It's far more likely she'd leave the child at an orphanage. If she could be bothered to make the effort, she might dump it on her husband.

Also, she's a cleric. It's incredibly unlikely that she and Durkon wouldn't have used protection, magical or physical, to prevent a pregnency.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-06, 09:24 AM
Also, she's a cleric. It's incredibly unlikely that she and Durkon wouldn't have used protection, magical or physical, to prevent a pregnency.

There's probably a "Protection from Pregnancy" spell on the Cleric spell list.

Jay R
2014-07-06, 10:32 AM

Given who he was traveling with, Durkon had no need to prepare that spell that day, and I suspect the same is true of Hilgya.

UristMcRandom
2014-07-06, 01:58 PM
Given who he was traveling with, Durkon had no need to prepare that spell that day, and I suspect the same is true of Hilgya.

Even if Durkon had reasonable need to prepare that spell, he probably wouldn't have prepared it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html). Either way, while I would love to see Hilgya again, I see very little character potential for her to return in Dwarven Lands.

In Tinkertown on the other hand...

Keltest
2014-07-06, 02:00 PM
Even if Durkon had reasonable need to prepare that spell, he probably wouldn't have prepared it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0954.html). Either way, while I would love to see Hilgya again, I see very little character potential for her to return in Dwarven Lands.

In Tinkertown on the other hand...

Given the vibes Hilgya was giving off, I wouldn't be surprised if she had it prepared. Now lets end this particular discussion.