PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What class would your recommend?

Inevitability
2014-07-05, 02:07 PM
Hoping to get some advice from my peers:

I am currently applying for a 5e game on this site. Problem: I know next to nothing about the classes, or how they play, and I don't want to be stuck on a character I don't enjoy playing for the next few months.

I would like to have multiple options each turn. I don't want to get stuck in a boring Move-Attack-Repeat pattern. Being a one-trick pony is something I hate, so I'm willing to spread out my area of expertise even if it hurts my overal strength. Or shouldn't I be afraid of this?

We're starting at level 1 (planning to get to level 10), and the DM prefers one of the 4 'classic' classes (fighter, mage, rogue, wizard) though I believe the other classes from the Basic Rules are allowed too. The allowed races are human, elf, halfling and dwarf.

So, with that being said, what class could people here recommend for me?

Yorrin
2014-07-05, 02:14 PM
Well, considering we only have the four basic classes published so far, you're pretty much stuck with a small number of options. From the sound of it you'll prefer a caster to a non-caster, so it really depends if you want to play a Wizard or a Cleric. Only the Evoker and Life Domain clerics have been released so far, so you get to pick between being good at blasting with a bit of utility, or good at healing and bashing in heads with a weapon and utility.

Callin
2014-07-05, 02:37 PM
Well with class and background you can get different skills to help outside of combat.

Say Wizard with the Criminal backround and you are a mage thief right off the bat. IF you do choose to Multiclass only do 2 levels that way you can get your second Stat Increase or 4/4 or 5/5 (since you are stopping at 10th)

rlc
2014-07-05, 05:14 PM
The basic packet actually just got released for free two days ago, so you might want to download that to have it handy and know what your guy can do.

HunterOfJello
2014-07-05, 05:45 PM
Use the Basic Rules packet and then find out what stats you have (after rolling) before making a decision

Mountain Dwarf Wizards can make strong melee characters since they can wear medium armor while casting spells, and are proficient with the battleaxe, handaxe, throwing hammer, and warhammer. They also get +2 strength and +2 con. Pick the Soldier background to obtain proficiency with Athletics and you'll be able to Shove, grapple, and fight as well as the a cleric would be while still having your spells to use as backup.

Stout Halflings are likely the strongest race out right now as a default race to go to.

Be sure to read the Combat section of the Basic Rules pdf all the way through. I've already spoken with several people who skipped it and missed out on the fact that you can do two-weapon fighting with almost no penalty and that shoving and grappling are decent methods of achieving some goals in combat.

Thrudd
2014-07-05, 05:46 PM
Hoping to get some advice from my peers:

I am currently applying for a 5e game on this site. Problem: I know next to nothing about the classes, or how they play, and I don't want to be stuck on a character I don't enjoy playing for the next few months.

I would like to have multiple options each turn. I don't want to get stuck in a boring Move-Attack-Repeat pattern. Being a one-trick pony is something I hate, so I'm willing to spread out my area of expertise even if it hurts my overal strength. Or shouldn't I be afraid of this?

We're starting at level 1 (planning to get to level 10), and the DM prefers one of the 4 'classic' classes (fighter, mage, rogue, wizard) though I believe the other classes from the Basic Rules are allowed too. The allowed races are human, elf, halfling and dwarf.

So, with that being said, what class could people here recommend for me?

If you're not sure what you want to play, roll the dice in stat order and take whatever they give you. Then figure out how to use that character to its full potential through play. If you play another game of 5e after this one, or the first character dies, try to get a different class and try it out.

Inevitability
2014-07-05, 06:11 PM
I have downloaded the set, but didn't really get around to reading it (just spent 3 hours watching Holland-Costa Rica). Thanks for all the replies yet, and I hope more will follow!

If it helps, I prefer characters that are slightly unusual. For example characters using unusual weapons, combat styles, spell combos...

Callin
2014-07-05, 07:03 PM
Rogue 2/ Wizard 8 would make for a good hit and run Magic Sniper. Dont use too many Concentration Spells that way you can use your Bonus Action to Hide after each spell cast. Play a halfling and you can hide behind a medium sized archer or something. Minor Illusion can help depending on DM, Illusion yourself as a box or illusion up a bush, ect ect. Mage Armor gives 1 more AC compared to Studded Leather, so depending on how often the DM guns for ya you could just wear the Studded Leather and that will free up another spell known.