PDA

View Full Version : Magical Girl Spells

Deth Muncher
2014-07-05, 04:34 PM
Hey everyone! With the new Sailor Moon series out today, I thought it would be fun to go around and catalog all of the spells that one might associate with magical girl-style characters. I usually have a lot of fun playing up all sorts of henshin hero tropes in games once I get the Ring of Arming or things like that, but recently, I thought about different spells that fit the bill too. So far, I've thought of:

-spells that create magical light, or orbiting attacks, such as the Stars of Arvandor (Book of Exalted Deeds)

-spells that feature some sort of lace or streamer effect, like, uh, Streamers

-Banishment spells

-Summon weapon type spells - you know a lot of those girls just magic some weapons into existence and then they poof away

-The Power Word spells

What are you guys' thoughts?

Blackhawk748
2014-07-05, 04:36 PM
I feel Glitterdust must be mentioned, i mean your chucking GLITTER at the enemy.

TheIronGolem
2014-07-05, 04:40 PM
Color Spray seems like a shoe-in as well. You can't get much more Magical Girl than literally attacking your enemies with rainbows.

Prime32
2014-07-05, 04:47 PM
Atonement
Detect Evil (possibly on a familiar rather than the MG)
Disguise Self
Luminous Armor (for the costume)
Miracle
Protection from Evil (on self, possibly from an item)
Remove Curse
Sanctify the Wicked (evil creature is reborn as a good one with holy powers)
Purify Spell metamagic feat (spells deal extra damage to evil creatures, half to neutral, none to good)
One of those spells that lets you damage possessing creatures instead of the host

Ideally, if a good-aligned person became a werewolf and turned evil, then an MG's spells should destroy the evil influence and return them to their original body and personality. Meanwhile a demon struck by the same spells would simply be destroyed, since "evil influence" is the only thing making it up. I'm not sure how possible this is in D&D, but you can get close.

-Summon weapon type spells - you know a lot of those girls just magic some weapons into existence and then they poof awayGenerally those tend to work like an actual item they possess, and can just store in another dimension when they're not using it.

With a box
2014-07-05, 04:57 PM
they will need some spell to force the ememy explode when they(ememy) dies.

Deth Muncher
2014-07-05, 04:58 PM
Atonement
Generally those tend to work like an actual item they possess, and can just store in another dimension when they're not using it.

Good point! Easily represented by the Ring of Arming itself, or by Gloves of Storing if necessary.

AuraTwilight
2014-07-05, 05:29 PM
Honestly, the entire cleric spell list with only good-aligned spells seems like a good starting point.

BWR
2014-07-05, 05:37 PM
Disguise Self. For some dubious definitions of 'disguise'
Fly or Jump
Fireball, Scorching Ray, Meteor Swarm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwWlkvZwsG8)
Sound Burst, Shout, Great Shout
Horrid Wilting + Fire Storm (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRpXtnxMpZ4)
Solipsism (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZotEQF8pk)
Confusion (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYupPX1--eQ)

Deth Muncher
2014-07-05, 05:48 PM
Honestly, the entire cleric spell list with only good-aligned spells seems like a good starting point.

Y'know, I was thinking about it, and Cleric might not be a horrible Magical Girl class, period. They seem to be all about the same kind of things that Magical Girls are about.

BWR
2014-07-05, 05:51 PM
Y'know, I was thinking about it, and Cleric might not be a horrible Magical Girl class, period. They seem to be all about the same kind of things that Magical Girls are about.

Death, Evil, Murder, Chaos, Tyranny, Monsters....

Deth Muncher
2014-07-05, 05:53 PM
Death, Evil, Murder, Chaos, Tyranny, Monsters....

I mean, Madoka is still a magical girl series. ;D

Psyren
2014-07-05, 06:01 PM
Note that we have a discussion thread for the new series over in Media Discussion. [/shamelessplug] :smallbiggrin:

In Salor Moon at least, it's difficult to link each attack to a specific spell because many of them do multiple things. For instance, Sailor Moon's tiara seems like a combination of the Wu Jen's Decapitating Scarf and Disintegrate. Mercury's Shabao Spray usually acts as Fog Cloud, though she has used it as Freezing Fog before as well, and it appears to also confuse magical senses in the manner of Nondetection. Mars' Fire Soul usually acts as Scorching Ray, but her Burning Mandala alternates between Wall of Fire and Meteor Swarm depending on the foe. And all those are just the anime uses.

Saturn and Pluto appear capable of epic magic (with extreme Backlash costs.)

Pan151
2014-07-05, 09:07 PM
Well, "magical girl" is a very generic term, from a mechanical perspective.

I am most familiar with Madoka Magika and, in DnD/Pathfinder terms, the magical girls in it could be described as, in no particular order:

1 x Warblade
2 x Gunslinger/Sorcerer
1 x Fighter
1 x Favoured Soul

In Mai Hime, all magical girls are a gestalt of Summoner with Sorcerer/Gunslinger/Barbarian and others.

In Claymore (yes, it is a magical girl anime, even if it's the most un-Mahou-Shojo Mahou-Shojo out there) pretty much everyone is a Half-Fiend Warblade.

Unfortunately, I have only watched a handful of Sailor Moon episodes, and those where back when I was 9, so I cannot comment on them.

PS. Warlock is a very good class for magical girls. Bonus points if you can get your DM to allow you to channel your Eldrich Blasts through a star-shaped wand.

Psyren
2014-07-05, 09:11 PM
In Claymore (yes, it is a magical girl anime, even if it's the most un-Mahou-Shojo Mahou-Shojo out there) pretty much everyone is a Half-Fiend Warblade.

They struck me more as Crusaders. (Idiot Crusaders specifically.)

Pan151
2014-07-05, 09:56 PM

Well, some sort of ToB class. I've never actually read Tome of Battle, so my knowledge about them goes only so far as to know that they're better at pulling off things like instantaneously accelerating to Mach 3 and vibrating their swords at FTL speeds than your average fighter. And that the main character has at least 2 levels of swordsage for the Wisdom to AC bonus.

Troacctid
2014-07-05, 09:58 PM
You need something like Divine Power for the obligatory transformation sequence.

Juntao112
2014-07-05, 09:58 PM
Black Tentacles

Blackhawk748
2014-07-05, 10:00 PM
Black Tentacles

oh you. :smallbiggrin:

bekeleven
2014-07-05, 10:02 PM

Race: Human Quasilycanthrope?

Blackhawk748
2014-07-05, 10:04 PM
Id say Tieflings that only show their daemonic-ness when they fight. And then go full blown half-fiend when pushed to far.

Pan151
2014-07-05, 10:06 PM
Race: Human Quasilycanthrope?

Hmm, I never thought up of Lycanthropy. A seriously beefed up version of this could probably work much better than the Half-fiend I originaly proposed...

bekeleven
2014-07-05, 10:38 PM
Oh, and check my Extended Sig (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16237388&postcount=226) for magical girl homebrews.

Deth Muncher
2014-07-05, 11:31 PM
Black Tentacles

Oh yooooou. :P