PDA

View Full Version : Best Class for a Scientist

mr_odd
2014-07-05, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, one of my NPCs is a scientist. His name is Peter Berill and kind of has a steampunk Leonardo Davinci feel. What class would best suit him? My first thought is Expert, but are there better choices? Alchemist would not work as he does not deal with alchemy.

Gildedragon
2014-07-05, 07:59 PM
Magewright is a good choice: all knowledges, all crafts, spellcraft and concentration, plus a few spells

Jeff the Green
2014-07-05, 08:11 PM
Does it need to be an NPC class?

Druid, Dread Necromancer, or Ranger for biologist.
Factotum for a polymath.
Wizard for chemist or physicist (though they're probably capable of being good at any field).
Archivist for archaeologist/anthropologist.
Artificer for engineer (not technically a science, though).

For a steampunk da Vinci, check out the Inspired Inventor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?273831-PrC-Mechas-and-flamethrowers-Artificer-Factotum-theurge-(WIP-PEACH)&p=14803127#post14803127). It probably comes into play at a higher level than your NPC, but it could probably be made into a base class just by giving it factotum abilities and artificer abilities at the levels they'd normally start stacking. (I.e. cunning defense, brains over brawn, cunning strike, cunning surge, cunning breach, and cunning dodge class at the same rate as factotum and item creation as an artificer of a level one lower.)

mr_odd
2014-07-05, 08:28 PM
Does it need to be an NPC class?

No, it does not need to be an NPC class. I like the Inspired Inventor, I think I may use that.

Hand_of_Vecna
2014-07-05, 08:34 PM
I'll add Pathfinder Alchemist to the excellent list you were already given.

Gildedragon
2014-07-05, 09:03 PM
Oh! if PC classes are game: Factotum is a solid choice, as is archivist , and artificer

In Ravenloft: Legacy of Blood there is a Scientist PrC, requires a couple feats to go in, but it can produce mundane magic items, and do a number of cutesy science tricks. It progresses spell and spell-like casting

Psyren
2014-07-05, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, one of my NPCs is a scientist. His name is Peter Berill and kind of has a steampunk Leonardo Davinci feel. What class would best suit him? My first thought is Expert, but are there better choices? Alchemist would not work as he does not deal with alchemy.

You can refluff the Alchemist as a "techsmith" who builds "devices." All the infusions can even work the same - instead of extracts and bombs, they can simply be devices that only he knows how to activate.

You could do the same with any caster really.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-05, 09:44 PM
In Ravenloft: Legacy of Blood there is a Scientist PrC, requires a couple feats to go in, but it can produce mundane magic items, and do a number of cutesy science tricks. It progresses spell and spell-like casting

Second, thirding, and forthing this. I just flipped through it and the Mordenhiem gadgets are perfect for you Scientist, be warned i didnt look at the PrC, but the gadgets look pretty sweet.

Troacctid
2014-07-05, 09:50 PM
Refluff a Warlock or Dragonfire Adept. Each invocation is a different invention. Instead of a breath weapon you have a steampunk flamethrower, instead of a Warlock's Scepter you have a +1 Death Ray, instead of Draconic/Fell Flight you have a jetpack, etc. It's a good flavor fit for a character who tinkers up a variety of devices with useful all-day effects.