PDA

View Full Version : Unrelenting Onslaught - Combo feats for melee characters (PEACH)

gr8artist
2014-07-05, 10:53 PM
So this is my new attempt at making a combo-attack feat chain. I've written more complicated versions, and gotten some feedback, and I think I may have a workable version now. Let me know what you think.

Rules for use of Combo feats
Combo feats all function along the same lines, and have similar rules which govern them all. Each combo feat you learn grants you a number of optional attacks, which you can use to replace or modify your attacks in a full-round action. Most of these combo attacks work only on melee attacks, and many of these specify that they only work for unarmed attacks. A character may use multiple combo attacks in a full-attack action, and may use combo attacks of different types (such as melee or unarmed melee) in the same full-attack action, if able. A monk may use these attacks in his flurry of blows, though he must follow all normal flurry of blows rules when doing so.
Once you have learned at least one combo feat, you can use combo attacks in combat. Most combo attacks have a minimum combo value that must be obtained before their use, and they then modify this combo value to determine which attacks he may use after them. A normal attack with an unarmed strike or any other weapon adds 1 to your combo value after you hit with it, regardless of whether or not the attack deals damage. There is no minimum combo value necessary to use a normal attack. You may only have one combo value at a time; if you attack a different opponent with any of your attacks in a single action, then your current combo value is reduced to 0 and you must begin a new combo against that opponent.

Sweeping Scythe (Combat, Combo)
Your kicks and attacks sweep low, striking at the opponent's legs and feet to impede their movement.

Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-unarmed-strike-combat---final)

Benefit: You can use the following combo attacks to replace your normal unarmed attacks in a full-attack action.
Roundhouse strike: Make an unarmed strike with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the defending creature's base speed is reduced by 5 ft. on its next turn. If the attack deals damage, add 2 to your combo value.
Stumbling stone: You must have a combo value of at least 2 to use this attack. Make an unarmed strike with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. For one round, the defending creature treats his current square as difficult terrain, and any dodge bonuses to AC he possesses are reduced by 1 while he is in that square. If the attack deals damage, add 1 to your combo value.
Grass-cutting heel: You must have a combo value of at least 3 to use this attack. Make an unarmed strike with a -2 penalty to attack and damage. If the attack hits, you may make a trip attempt against the defending creature as a free action. You get a bonus to your CMB equal to your current combo value, and if you have a combo value of at least 5, then you provoke no attack of opportunity from the defending creature for this trip attempt. If the attack deals damage, add 1 to your combo value.

Denting Blows (Combat, Combo)
Your strikes hammer away at your opponents' defenses, leaving him more vulnerable to further attacks.

Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-unarmed-strike-combat---final)

Benefit: You can use the following combo attacks to replace your melee attacks in a full-attack action.
Piercing force: Make a melee attack with a -4 penalty to the attack roll. This attack deals both bludgeoning and piercing damage, and ignores up to 2 points of armor or natural armor bonuses to AC. If the attack deals damage, add 1 to your combo value.
Staggering Blow: You must have a combo value of at least 2 to use this attack. Make a melee attack with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, the defending creature must make a fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your BAB + your current combo value) or become flat-footed until the beginning of its next turn. If the attack deals damage, add 2 to your combo value.
Cleaving Strike: You must have a combo value of at least 4 to use this attack. Make a melee attack with a -4 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, it ignores 2 points of DR or hardness possessed by the defending creature. Furthermore, any damage dealt to the defending creature is also dealt to the defending creature's armor (if applicable) as if by a successful sunder attempt. If the attack deals damage, add 1 to your combo value.

Cloud Reaver (Combat, Combo)
Your strikes aim high, to bring flying opponents to the ground and knock your opponents for a loop.

Prerequisites: Improved unarmed strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-unarmed-strike-combat---final); Acrobatics 5 ranks; BAB +5

Benefit: Opponents gain no bonus to their attack rolls for having higher ground than you, and if you make a jump as part of a 5 foot step or move action, your vertical reach is increased by 5 feet on your next attack. Additionally, you can use the following combo attacks to replace your melee attacks in a full-attack action.
Overhead strike: Make a melee attack with a -2 penalty to the attack roll against an opponent whose elevation is at least 5 ft. higher than your own. If your attack hits, you may choose to knock the defending creature 5 feet in any direction, including vertically, and the defending creature takes a -4 penalty on reflex saves and dexterity skill checks until the beginning of its next turn. If the attack deals damage, add 2 to your combo value.
Rising uppercut: You must have a combo value of at least 1 to use this attack. Make an unarmed strike with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, and the result is greater than the defending creature's CMD, then they are lifted 5 ft into the air as a result of this attack. They fall almost immediately, landing on their feet after your next attack or at the end of this action (whichever comes first) unless another effect would cause them to fall prone or be otherwise affected. If this attack deals damage, add 1 to your combo value.
Windmill kick: You must have a combo value of at least 4 to use this attack. Make an unarmed strike with a -4 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits and the result is greater than the defending creature's CMD, then they are pushed back 5 feet, plus 5 additional feet for every 5 by which your attack beat their CMD. They are also knocked 5 feet vertically, either up or down (your choice) for each 5 feet of horizontal movement you impose on them. Opponents knocked into the air take fall damage as normal, while opponents knocked into a solid surface (such as the ground) fall prone and take 1d6 points of bludgeoning damage for every 5 by which your attack beat their CMD. A successful reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 your BAB + your current combo value) prevents them from falling prone and reduces the fall or collision damage by half. If the attack deals damage, add 1 to your combo value.

gr8artist
2014-07-05, 10:58 PM
Additional homebrew feats which are designed to work well with the rules and feats presented above.

Barrage of Blows (Combat)
Each attack creates an opening, and with that moment of opportunity, you follow through with another strike.

Prerequisite: Combat Reflexes

Benefit: After hitting an opponent with a melee attack, if your attack roll beat his AC by 5 or more, you may spend an immediate action to make an attack of opportunity against the defending creature with your highest base attack bonus. This counts against your normal number of opportunities available in a round.

Special: Barrage of Blows is added to the Monk's list of bonus feats available at first level.

PixelHead777
2014-07-06, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately too much of a newbie when it comes to analyzing homebrew stuff, but I figured I'd at least pop in and say that I'm very interested in this idea. Having an unarmed boxer-type that uses a lot of attacks in a round, and not very keen on Combat Maneuvers, I have few options during my attacks. This concept would definitely give me some variety.

I do hope to see more!

gr8artist
2014-07-06, 10:29 PM
Thanks. Added another UO Combo feat, plus a related feat in the second post. More critiques are welcome.