PDA

View Full Version : Shadowrun game

YPU
2007-02-27, 12:03 PM
So, I couldn’t find anything on the board so I start it. It appears there will be a Shadowrun pc and x-box game. It will be something like a first person shooter. And jup, it includes teleporting trolls with katana’s, that would be something different. So, what’s around and what do we think?

talsine
2007-02-27, 01:36 PM
If there are teleporting anything in the game i wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot clown pole. Teleportational magic doesn't exist in SR.

vanik
2007-02-27, 01:46 PM
This is the preview I've read on it, pretty informative

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3154430

Oh, and here's the official site

http://shadowrun.com/gameinfo/whatisshadowrun/

I'm pretty excited for it coming out

Suraht
2007-02-27, 04:52 PM
From what I've seen, this is a first person shooter with the Shadowrun name tacked on. Not touching it with a 20 foot pole.

My Genesis and SNES Shadowrun carts have nothing to worry about.

Edit: From the article:

People are teleporting and gliding around the map, raising friends from the dead, getting caught in vines, and whooping it up.

Teleporting AND resurrection in the heat of combat. I don't recall that from the sourcebooks.

talsine
2007-02-28, 05:54 PM
its because teleportation and reserection magics specificaly do not exist in the world, its mentioned multiple times, even as the "holy grail" as far as magical research is concerned.

I'm a fanboy, i admit it, and this just makes me want to cry, i've waited for so long for another Shadowrun game, and i get this instead. /sigh

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-28, 06:20 PM
I have not played the pen and paper version of the game, but from the view of an Xbox 360 owner, it looks great. Can't wait.

AmoDman
2007-02-28, 06:23 PM
I've never played Shadowrun, but based solely on its own merits, this FPS looks pretty darn cool. I hope it's as solid as a magic and fantasy themed-FPS deserves to be.

starwoof
2007-02-28, 07:02 PM
I think the game looks pretty good, as long as I ignore the fact that they're soiling the name of Shadowrun.

It isn't even in Seattle!

DocZoid
2007-03-01, 06:13 PM
*bursts into tears* WHYYYYY?!

Oh right, money :(

Beleriphon
2007-03-01, 08:08 PM
I think the game looks pretty good, as long as I ignore the fact that they're soiling the name of Shadowrun.

I think Shadowrun managed to do that all by itself.

Eh.

talsine
2007-03-02, 10:02 AM
I think Shadowrun managed to do that all by itself.

How? By constantly improving the rules set? but making it easier with each iteration for new people to enjoy the game? by being one of the first cyberpunk games to make it to market? by being the only one thats still played by more than a handful of people? By advancing the metaplot as using it as a tool to advange the crunch in the game? Shadowrun's only downside is people send to see it as "Elves on motorcyles and dwarves with guns" and thats almost a selling point for me really, not the elves, i don't like them, but dwarves with guns is pretty cool

Telok
2007-03-02, 11:04 AM
Dwarves on motorcycle with uzis.

I almost convinced the rest of the group to do it too. We were almost our own dwarven motorcycle gang. Then the rest of them chickened out, two gun-bunnies and a phys-ad. Weak, stereotypical, endangered by thier own stunts.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 11:09 AM
I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, it might break SR Canon a bit... but I'd rather it do that for the sake of gameplay than have the game try to emulate the exact SR experience and fall flat.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-02, 11:37 AM
I am aware of it. It has been weeks since I last woke in a cold sweat gibbering about flying elves but that travesty still haunts my dreams.

What we need is an updated Shadowrun CRPG based on 3rd edition. (I like fourth edition but I am in a serious minority)

talsine
2007-03-02, 01:11 PM
Dwarves on motorcycle with uzis.

I almost convinced the rest of the group to do it too. We were almost our own dwarven motorcycle gang. Then the rest of them chickened out, two gun-bunnies and a phys-ad. Weak, stereotypical, endangered by thier own stunts.

That would've been so awesome! We did a gangland ame once, we took over the Halloweeners only to get OMGWTFBBQPWND!! by a rival group of Ancients. Stupid Wiz Elves.

I'm looking forward to it.

Yeah, it might break SR Canon a bit... but I'd rather it do that for the sake of gameplay than have the game try to emulate the exact SR experience and fall flat.

No, i'd rather them not make it than break cannon, cause all it will do is bring in new people who base everything on this one game and ruin it for the rest of us

I am aware of it. It has been weeks since I last woke in a cold sweat gibbering about flying elves but that travesty still haunts my dreams.

What we need is an updated Shadowrun CRPG based on 3rd edition. (I like fourth edition but I am in a serious minority)

I like everything but the wireless poo as it killed the Rigger. I love Riggers /emo Everything else i think works better. Not that i hated the previous version, we played 3rd ed for 2 years before the game died.

Swordguy
2007-03-02, 01:56 PM
If you're gonna do a Shadowun FPS, it needs to be done a la System Shock 2. Pretty much anything else cheapens the experience.

Although it DOES look pretty. I'll give it that.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-02, 07:24 PM
No, i'd rather them not make it than break cannon, cause all it will do is bring in new people who base everything on this one game and ruin it for the rest of us.

I'm inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt at this stage of development. It's not due out until June. However, as regards the blatant problems...

Resurrection makes sense in a FPS. Would you rather they feature Resurrections of your teammates, or just totally unexplained spawn points? If you're going to be debating the merits of this game, let's be honest here. It's probably less offensive to your sensibilities to have previously unusable magic than random regeneration. Admittedly, the racial traits were a bit funky and I really have no idea what's going on with the teleportation.

However, everything else I see isn't too offensive to my Shadowrunning youth. The lack of Decking, Rigging, and the Astral Plane make sense to me. It's a balance factor and a game design issue. Someone playing a FPS doesn't want to spend their time doing mundane Decking duties (it would add a layer of gameplay in which the player doesn't really interact with the other players), and the Rigging would have probably required a metric ton of coding. Likewise the Astral Plane would have unnecessarily complicated what is essentially a FPS experience.

Plus the recent press release Microsoft and Fasa Interactive released has allayed a lot of my fears. I'll dig it up if I remember where I found it.

soylentplaid
2007-03-11, 11:07 PM
See, I'm a huge Shadowrun nerd, and I've discovered a neato fix. Dystopia, a Half-Life 2 mod, is basically Shadowrun without magic. Three classes (light, medium, heavy, could easily be elves, humans, trolls), cyberware, decking (yes, "jack me in I'm hacking the Gibson" style decking), even the whole cyberpunk theme. Add on mages and you've got Shadowrun. Sadly, the good old boys at Microsoft seemed to have bought up a generic FPS Counterstrike clone and slapped on some IP that they had collecting dust in their portfolio. I have serious doubts that anyone involved in the design of the thing has even played Shadowrun, pen and paper OR 16-bit console versions.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-12, 06:40 AM
Apparently someone asked the lead last week about a real Shadowrun RPG (I didn't hear the podcast, so I cannot be sure of the specifics) and he made some seriously disparaging remarks about roleplayers.

The trouble is, it is Bungee. They are on top of the game when it comes to pure FPS, but you don't ask someone like that to handle an RPG IP. Even if you wanted a Shadowrun FPS, you want to approach a studio like Troika or Looking Glass. (only, belonging to MS rather than not...)

slapdash
2007-03-12, 11:00 AM
I think it looks fun, even if it's just a FPS using the setting. I don't mind that it's not an RPG; I know plenty of pasty, dice-clutching nerds if I need any of that.

And I think 4th Edition is awesome.

Reptilus
2007-04-03, 01:09 PM

Nor is the totality of Shadowrun. They have whole sourcebooks of what other cities are like (Shadows of London, for instance).
I think the problem is that a lot of people have a very narrowminded view of Shadowrun as an RPG and only an RPG, not a world that can have multiple game types in it. That said, teleportation and revivification magic is kinda troubling, if acheiving the longtime shadowrun goal of magical research comes with no apparent concern for the fact in the game's storyline. It would be like, in the real world, somebody finding a cure for cancer and going "eh" about it.

Dant
2007-04-06, 05:09 PM
Firstly, it looks good, but only purely as a multi-player fps style game. I doubt I'd love it to bits, but it looks fun. It doesn't look good as a Shadowrun game. As far as I can tell, it pretty much lacks everything that makes Shadowrun, well, Shadowrun. I think soylenyplaid nailed it in one. Go play Dystopia. It kicks ass and actually does the whole cyberpunk thing well. And I'll note to lankybugger that Dystopia does include decking. Fun, interactive and trippy decking. Just oozes style.