PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Your favorite kind of villain.

Valluman
2014-07-06, 02:10 AM
They're what make the grand adventures so grand. The driving force behind the heroes (or villains for the opposite the less common evil parties), villains are what can bring heroes together and give them purpose, but there's so many different flavors of these creatures.

Humans and other mundanes; they seek to usurp one another to rise above the rest and gain fame, wealth, and command over their own kind. These are the crooked politicians, the crooks, and the tyrants. The lives of their fellow men mean nothing, mere pawns or assets to their own power. They will enlist dark magics, begin wars, and dabble with powers they do not fully comprehend because their own sins drive them towards the danger. Recklessly, they bring demons and malconvokers to their aid without knowing the consequences of their actions before it's too late.

Necromancer; they seek one thing... immortality. They have fallen to the darkest arts known to man in order to stave off the reaper. They have thrown away their soul in the pursuit of a cheap imitation of life at the cost of other's own, and as time passes, they begin to feel their twisted form of joy from the parting. As their mortality draws near, their care and worries evaporate as they begin to go mad, doing anything and everything they must to transcend their shell into eternity.

Liches; the butterflies to the necromancer's cocoon. They have been throw the evils of a necromancer and no longer feel the lament or the guilt their mortal selves may have felt. They now seek to continue their existence at the cost of other's lives and souls. They realize that their way of living (or not) is the only correct way, and thus, try to spread this gift with the rest of the world. Centuries may pass for their schemes, but they have the time to wait.

Vampires; unlike the lich, they seek not to command legions but to build tight covens of loyal followers and servants. They seek to imitate their lives with their new families. Twisted by undeath, they kill and maim to steal the lives of others for life force. They keep the prey they fancy as pets and servants and subtly try to achieve high wealth and status to have a semblance of their mortality. There are some, of course, who see mortality as liches do... Though they only want the elite to rule with the lesser beings as mere puppets.

Demons; they seek chaos. Their scheming can take centuries like the undead, but they have no ultimate goal other than to torment and torture and destroy. They want nothing more than the breaking of mortals and their world. They seek only to spread the fires of their abyss upon the world for it's own sake. They possess, they curse, and they kill all for the pure bliss they achieve from doing so. No rhyme or reason to their madness... Only the pure want of chaos.

Devils; the refined brethren of demons. Once again, the passage of time means nothing to this lot, but unlike their chaotic counterparts, they know that destruction for it's own sake it meaningless. They seek to gain from the destruction; they make dealings with mortals and work behind the curtain to harvest souls for their domain and masters. They seek to gain power by exploiting mortals and playing a careful game of chess with angels in their eternal struggle for the right to take the souls of the living once they must move on. They are crafty and devious, and they are patient.

Warlocks; the mortal messengers of those evil outsiders mentioned above. Not all warlocks are unfortunate circumstances of birth; more than a few have actively made dealings with these forces for power. These are the few who have damned their souls in the hopes of achieving great power and even transcending mortality through other dark methods. Some turn on the demons and devils they have made bargains with and even bound the outsiders to their souls to achieve higher power. These destructive characters are aware they are on a clock, and unlike the necromancer, they fear not death but what will become of them after that.

Lycanthropes; the mad. Whether they were born into the life or victims of an attack, lycanthropes, either misunderstood or hated, are hunted for what they are. Their sanity escapes them on the nights of the full moon and they seek to feed and turn more to their cause. Some try to live normal lives and hide their ailment while others embrace it and work silently to preserve themselves and create packs of their kind, families. More wild then their vampiric rivals, they are often seen as primitive, but no less fierce or powerful.

Illithid: delvers of secrets and brings of madness. These creatures are selfish to a fault, quickly abandoning even their own kind if a situation becomes unprofitable. They gather slaves and feast on the brains and absorb the intelligence of others. They are obsessive with their search for dark, untold secrets and serving their ancient gods and elder brains. Seldom do they venture above the soil, if only to acquire bodies and servants, but their merciless pursuit of power and knowledge has lead to the death of many an adventurer and even to the creation of larger schemes.

Of course there are others, as well; what is your favorite type of evildoer?

Vorandril
2014-07-06, 02:49 AM
My favorites are the ones that seem like they're riding that line of moral ambiguity, but through their subtle manipulations and schemes that they draw you through you just look at them and say, "I -know- this guy's an evil SOB (soul obscuring bureaucrat) but... I just can't figure out what makes him a bad guy..."

Those are the ones that mess with your head... But that may be the World of Darkness player in me.:smallbiggrin:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17727744&postcount=19

This isn't Evil. This is using Good and Evil as a way to set up teams like Red and Blue flags in a box canyon. This does not a compelling villain make. (to be fair they never claim to be either)

erok0809
2014-07-06, 03:00 AM
I've always been a fan of the Lich-type villains, who fear death and thus do everything they can to avoid it. Voldemort from Harry Potter, for example. It leads to some good character development when the protagonists realize that under the villain's hard, evil, torturous shell is someone who is genuinely afraid of something. I like the character interactions that stem from this. In my own game, I made a lich where he didn't even want to be undead; he was looking for immortality during life, but ran out of time, so he chose lichdom and continued his work, trying to figure out how to become immortal without tying your soul to a phylactery. There's almost a touch of good in there, a lot of the time, which I like.

Zombulian
2014-07-06, 03:00 AM
Just re-watched this (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZTcuRNi4RF5zgRLmvwknJmXPysSENafW) and it made me fall in love with Moriarty from Sherlock all over again.
He's the type of villain who you just want to go down so much, but he's too powerful to even lay a finger on, and the worst part for you is knowing that the only reason you're involved is because he was bored and wanted to include you.

Alent
2014-07-06, 04:07 AM
Of course there are others, as well; what is your favorite type of evildoer?

Personally, I'm fond of the justified villain. The kind of character who is an enemy, but if you were in his place you'd likely be doing the same thing because it's what the circumstances inspire.

This doesn't have to be a "good guy in a bad situation", it can be any situation, so long as being in his shoes, his actions are for the benefit of himself and/or his fellows in a way that can be empathized with. This is the sort of antagonist that can accept a third option if it truly is mutually beneficial, or could perhaps even be offering the third option because he doesn't necessarily like the primary two choices, but without cooperation can't achieve a third option.

The local crime lord waging war against the new Union that's cutting into his protection fees? the king trying to invade your country because one of your dukes dammed up the main river on the continent and ruined his lands' irrigation systems? The elder dragon coming after your elf because the elf used disintegrate + gust of wind on her hatchling? The Dwarves who are ALSO after the mcGuffin to save their country, and it's you or them?

Of course, the group I usually play with tends to be rather chaotic selfish and too hit or miss when it comes to roleplaying, so I don't think I've seen that type in our RPs but once, but I still like the style.

BWR
2014-07-06, 06:16 AM
@OP: I think you're pigeonholing races a bit. Why can't a vampire want to be a warlord, dominating everything? Look at Kas the Destroyer. And plenty of liches just want to study magic without interruption, and have no grand designs to take over the world or 'share the blessing'. Basically, you're just confusing motives with race.

Anyway, what I like in a villain is something that makes me want to destroy him. I can admire and respect his magnificence or just want to remove the fellow from the world, but he has to have some sort of personality that makes him more than just a powerful opponent. Misguided ideals, justified thirst for revenge, megalomania, gleeful murderer, tortured soul or just plain in it for the fun, a villain has to have personality.

shadowseve
2014-07-06, 06:20 AM
My fav depends on my mood. Sometimes it's the one pulling the strings in the shadows, and others it the realm destroying kind that live only to destroy ****.

thedmring
2014-07-06, 06:24 AM
I am the greatest villain and the greatest protagonist.

Craft (Cheese)
2014-07-06, 07:20 AM
The circumstances: A nuke has been launched and will land in your hometown in approximately 30 minutes. How are you going to get yourself and your loved ones to safety? What are you going to do after the initial explosion?

The players themselves: If you do so with a skilled hand you can craft really interesting stories where the main struggle is against an internal aspect of the protagonist/s. One of the advantages of fantasy settings is that it's easy in such settings to make these struggles more literal, giving them real stakes instead of just emo moping. A master thief whose dead wife keeps tipping off guards to his presence. A wizard whose body literally wastes away if she doesn't acquire new spells. A paladin whose every kill causes his mind to flood with the memories of his victim, and who is slowly cracking under the weight.

Hyena
2014-07-06, 08:51 AM
Humans. I don't like demons and devils as main antagonists - I prefer human villains, who I can actually relate to. Uh, let's take an example from Dragon Age.

Teyrn Loghaine, a human noble, who abandons a king to his death and grabs power in the country is an awesome villain, because his motives are comprehensible - he thinks that the king is an idiot, who will lead Ferelden to devastation, and he's the only one who can handle the threat of Blight. The Archdemon, meanwhile, the creature behind that Blight, is an incredibly bland villain, because his motives are incomprehensible - he wants to conquer everything with his darkspawn because... Uh... Reasons?
For the same reason, I liked Saren much better then the Reapers in Mass Effect.

Kaegro
2014-07-06, 09:11 AM
The reward for my favorite type of villain has to go the human general.

This guy is not immortal nor has the magical affinity as most villains do. Maybe he has mooks do everything and if he does have to get his feet wet, it is always on his term. One campaign I DMed had this character in a fight with him on a checkered floor that shocked the color of his choice. What I did was not have the color he was not take damage but the color the healer was on. When she died, he spent two turns adjusting the magic to the warmage.

The rogue/fighter was the last one alive at the end and dragged his buddies' corpses down thirty stairs, never to see them smiling again (Resurrection didnt exist). While he might have been dead, it came with a huge price from the PC.

The fact that this guy was self-made, only human, only added insult to injury and thats why I love these kinds of villains.

Red Fel
2014-07-06, 10:10 AM
My favorite kind of villain, alas, can really only exist in a literary (or similar) setting, and can be summed up in three words: David ****ing Xanatos.

This is the villain who is, in all ways, a self-made man, and could even be respected for his accomplishments. He has wealth and power, all of which he acquired over a lifetime of hard work, innovation and influence; he has skill and knowledge which he built for himself; he is affluent yet charitable, lofty yet approachable. Although he has access to powerful technology (which he built himself), he doesn't feel the need to rely on it (or on magic) when his own efforts will be sufficient.

More importantly, he is the ultimate chess master. No effort is made in vain, no expended energy is wasted. Every move is calculated and clean. Every plan is layered within other plans. If he wins, he wins. If he doesn't win, his enemies lose. He is virtually legally untouchable; the only time he has gone to prison is when it was convenient for him, and when it no longer was, he arranged to be released. In short, he never comes up short. He doesn't plan for revenge; it's a sucker's game. He isn't above seeking help from his enemies, nor does he underestimate his adversaries; if they've survived against him this long, they're neither stupid nor useless. He makes it his business to know and understand everything. His influence is sufficiently pervasive that he can influence matters on the world stage; as a result, as he puts it, "Nothing terrifies me, because nothing is beyond my ability to change."

This, in my mind, is the ultimate villain. Affable and friendly; brilliant and forewarned; imposing and virtually untouchable. He is a villain who you can trust to be your best friend for as long as is convenient to him, and will at least be decent enough to warn you when the truce is over. Before triggering the traps he laid for you before the truce even began.

And he'll do it with a smile.

Vorandril
2014-07-06, 12:28 PM
My favorite kind of villain, alas, can really only exist in a literary (or similar) setting, and can be summed up in three words: David ****ing Xanatos.

I like you. <3
Along a similar line of thinking, Lex Luthor.

Krobar
2014-07-06, 12:59 PM
Other adventurers. They can have any motives in the world, and any sets of skills needed.

tadkins
2014-07-06, 01:06 PM
The traitorous villain. I like them because when the time comes to corner and confront the backstabber, the fight becomes so much more personal and interesting.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-06, 01:12 PM
I have two favorites. First the String-Puller. Similar to Xanatos, but he is, by himself, not a threat and if you can cut through his web of influence you have no trouble killing him. Like Lucian in Fable II.

The other is the Cosmic Entity. It has no malice in its heart (if it even has a heart), but merely by existing it is a danger to the world. Elder Evils are particularly suited to this role, as is the tarrasque (once he's been suitably upgraded (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?218055-The-Tarrasque-3-5-Fix-ToB-PEACH)). This actually goes well with the String Puller.

DMVerdandi
2014-07-06, 02:44 PM
Not really a big villain fan. However, I love rivals and opponents. Political factions are the best. Guilds, Organizations, Parties, Nations, States. Those are the best opponents, as you can kill one "villain" and another comes and takes it's place.

I would love to play a Machiavellian game. Not in that weak common understanding. I would really like to play a game based directly on Discourses on Livy/The Prince. That would be dope. Having the choice of creating a principality or a democracy, and then making power moves in public and underground with your squad.

Since Italian politics are as influenced by Machiavelli as Chinese is by Confucius, I would play it mafia style, with a light and dark side of the game. Light not being good, but as said public, and dark being in the underworld, and the players would have to experience both being in a family political machine/syndicate.

Anyhow, it would be the "Boss" Archetype. Having a political goal, leading a political body, and opposing the opposition with soft/hard power. And the best thing is there is always another being groomed for the position.

RogueWizard
2014-07-06, 08:48 PM
I love the Joker style villain. The one who carries out his schemes for the hell of it. The one who pits cities against each other to watch them fall. The one who conjures up other villains to watch them wreck havoc.

Anything goes with this style. Why did he let the players live? Because he felt like it. Now this can't be all there is to a campaign, a joker who revels in destruction, but it makes the game interesting and keeps it from being linear.

Valluman
2014-07-06, 08:51 PM
I love how so many people mentioned Xanatos; he's the type of human villain that is perfection. He's one of my favorite fictional villains to date, and there are few that can compare to him.

As for those thinking I was pigeonholing races, I'd like to note that these are the stereotypes for these villains, not the definitions of what they are. Of course not every human villain is the same (Xanatos =/= Joeffry), but there's a certain theme to a lot of them.

tadkins
2014-07-06, 08:59 PM
I love how so many people mentioned Xanatos; he's the type of human villain that is perfection. He's one of my favorite fictional villains to date, and there are few that can compare to him.

Even in this day and age it's just so hard to create a villain as awesome and classy as David Xanatos. xD