PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Dhampir in Raveloft

Rasman
2014-07-06, 06:30 AM
So, I'm playing a Dhampir Bard in a Ravenloft campaign and something has come up that we're not 100% sure how to handle and I haven't been able to find an answer thus far. We aren't sure how to handle the Outcast Rating. The ONLY hint that we have, at this point, is in this PDF (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/Library/Ryan_Naylors_0_Domains_of_Dread.pdf).

It doesn't, however, give an actual Outcast Rating.

The 'hint' comes from this The Near Human: Several races are near enough to human to move among them with little comment, or are able to disguise their heritage with minimal effort. The majority are in fact the offspring of humanity, although they are typically treated as bastards everywhere are treated: acknowledged, but not welcome. These races include the deformed caliban, the fey half - elf, the mysterious giomorgo and the cursed dhampir and changeling. Together, these races form a single subtype of humanoid, the crossbreed. Also reasonably accepted by the majority are halflings, seen as too small and too commonplace to be a threat.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this matter would REALLY help.

weckar
2014-07-06, 06:52 AM
Does Vampire proper have an OR? Averaging it with human (aka 0) may be a good idea?

BWR
2014-07-06, 07:55 AM
Unless it looks non-human, the OR should be 0. if the dhampir looks and acts like a normal human, it should be fine.
Once people find out about the shady heritage, expect to be treated like a monster.

Rethmar
2014-07-06, 08:53 AM
A bard in Raveloft? You should be a DJ. :smalltongue:

Sorry, jokes aside, I agree with BWR. Seems like the safest bet if no hard rules are found.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-06, 10:13 AM
Maybe a +1? i mean thats all the OR that a Half Elf gets, so i would assume you wouldnt be higher.

Gildedragon
2014-07-06, 11:28 AM
0, I mean you prolly don't look too much unlike say, any member or the Zahrovich extended clan...

Blackhawk748
2014-07-06, 11:30 AM
I thought half vampires had slightly elfin features? you know somewhat pointed ears, more angular features, that sorta thing.

weckar
2014-07-06, 11:48 AM
If you're in a DRealm in which vampires are more common, +1. Otherwise it could go to +3. I never liked the static ORs, when the cultures across Ravenloft vary so much...

atemu1234
2014-07-06, 11:52 AM
If you're in a DRealm in which vampires are more common, +1. Otherwise it could go to +3. I never liked the static ORs, when the cultures across Ravenloft vary so much...

Never really used them myself; I liked Ravenloft, but I preferred it as "just another campaign setting" as opposed to "entirely different way of playing D20".

weckar
2014-07-06, 12:36 PM
Honestly, in many ways it really isn't even D&D anymore, but closer to its own d20 game.

Psyren
2014-07-06, 01:30 PM
"Caliban" are pretty much RL half-orcs right?

Anyway, for the Dhampir, I would pretty much treat them the same as half-elves. They just look like gaunt/pale humans.

Rasman
2014-07-07, 12:37 AM
"Caliban" are pretty much RL half-orcs right?

Anyway, for the Dhampir, I would pretty much treat them the same as half-elves. They just look like gaunt/pale humans.

Pretty much.

Also, thank you everyone. I think this will really give us a better idea of how to figure out this Outcast Rating thing.

atemu1234
2014-07-07, 09:44 AM
Honestly, in many ways it really isn't even D&D anymore, but closer to its own d20 game.

That's what I figured. I liked it though (darker and edgier) and reworked it closer to 3.5, taking what I wanted and fixing it for the edition I liked.