PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What kind of Summoner Archetypes would you make.

Snowbluff
2014-07-06, 10:36 AM
It came up in another thread that a Summoner with a Time SLA would be broke.

So, how about it? Most of the archetypes fiddle with the current paradigm, rather than substantially altering them. We didn't get a new 6/9 spellcaster out of the ACG, so how about messing with the classes we have now?

So my idea is a time mage summoner. They get to have SLAs of time themed spells, like Haste, Slow, and Time Stop, instead of Summon Monster and Gate. I don't think there's enough time spells, though. D:

jaydubs
2014-07-06, 11:19 AM
Archetype: The Unsummoned

Flavor Text:
Occasionally, an extraplanar being claws its way to the native plane using a mortal as an anchor. Inevitably, it presses its mortal waypoint into service to its own goals - sometimes willingly, and sometimes with the terrible knowledge that there is no escape from its ever-present reach.

Essentially, your PC is a full progression eidolon, and you get a summoner that gets eidolon level progression.

There are obviously some kinks to work out, but it's more a concept than a mechanical plan.

NightbringerGGZ
2014-07-06, 11:25 AM
How about a Summoner that spends Evolution points on himself and gets to play more with some of the teleporation abilities? A toned down version of the Synthesist, where instead of merging with an Eidelon you don't get one at all. Instead you're able to boost yourself with a limited subset of Evolutions and have access to some new ones. I'm imagining a summoner who appears to go through a sudden mutation or magical transformation, then starts teleporting around the battle field.

Gulnar
2014-07-06, 11:29 AM
I would like to see a martial/commander summoner, without spells but with teamwork feats, and that's combinable with the brood master archetype so you can have your own army. Also, a archetype that trades spells for maneuvres, both on the summoner and on the eidolon.

Alent
2014-07-06, 11:44 AM
Playing off what the last two posters have mentioned, it might be interesting to have an Archetype that can't summon a "Standalone" eidolon in favor of applying a reduced number of evolution points to the Summoner's party/himself, to a limit of 1/3rd of the points to a single character, and then gains the ability to call them to his location with the eidolon call feature, drink potions for them, teleport them around a bit, knight's transposition, etc.

As part of Fluff/morning preparation, the summoner would summon fragments of an Eidolon and apply it to the party then, making it an all day buff.

Effectively, change the Summoner from the DIY party to a chessmaster.

Snowbluff
2014-07-06, 08:53 PM
Archetype: The Unsummoned

Flavor Text:
Occasionally, an extraplanar being claws its way to the native plane using a mortal as an anchor. Inevitably, it presses its mortal waypoint into service to its own goals - sometimes willingly, and sometimes with the terrible knowledge that there is no escape from its ever-present reach.

Essentially, your PC is a full progression eidolon, and you get a summoner that gets eidolon level progression.

There are obviously some kinks to work out, but it's more a concept than a mechanical plan.
This is what I want to be playing when I am doing a synthesist. Awesome. :smallbiggrin:

How about a Summoner that spends Evolution points on himself and gets to play more with some of the teleporation abilities? A toned down version of the Synthesist, where instead of merging with an Eidelon you don't get one at all. Instead you're able to boost yourself with a limited subset of Evolutions and have access to some new ones. I'm imagining a summoner who appears to go through a sudden mutation or magical transformation, then starts teleporting around the battle field. Neat. I haven't thought of playing on their teleportation aspect.

I would like to see a martial/commander summoner, without spells but with teamwork feats, and that's combinable with the brood master archetype so you can have your own army. Also, a archetype that trades spells for maneuvres, both on the summoner and on the eidolon.
A sort of martial summoner, eh? Sounds like a cool idea. The commanding type schools, like White Raven, would fit perfectly.

Playing off what the last two posters have mentioned, it might be interesting to have an Archetype that can't summon a "Standalone" eidolon in favor of applying a reduced number of evolution points to the Summoner's party/himself, to a limit of 1/3rd of the points to a single character, and then gains the ability to call them to his location with the eidolon call feature, drink potions for them, teleport them around a bit, knight's transposition, etc.

As part of Fluff/morning preparation, the summoner would summon fragments of an Eidolon and apply it to the party then, making it an all day buff.

Effectively, change the Summoner from the DIY party to a chessmaster.
:D

That's pretty sweet. So I can do a sort of buffing role as the summoner? Maybe a bit of 4e style controller?

Slipperychicken
2014-07-06, 09:40 PM
So my idea is a time mage summoner. They get to have SLAs of time themed spells, like Haste, Slow, and Time Stop, instead of Summon Monster and Gate. I don't think there's enough time spells, though. D:

A blink equivalent, only you're fading in and out of the timestream?

You could justify a number of divination/buff powers as experiencing events a short period in the future, so you react more quickly to events. Like Guidance, only more than +1 and not a cantrip. Larger bonuses are justified by seeing slightly farther into the future.

Fortune-telling spells = looking into the future, or asking future people/spirits about stuff.

Maybe you can have an interrupt like Celerity, fluffed as borrowing time from your future self. You get more time now, but later you're messed-up and unable to act because you were screwing with the timestream, and that's bad for your brain.

Maybe you'd risk some Wisdom damage or dazing because excessive temporal tampering is bad for your sanity (your brain is only designed to experience linear time, and experiencing its true wibbly-wobbly nature makes your brain a little wibbly too).

Starbuck_II
2014-07-06, 10:43 PM

You could justify a number of divination/buff powers as experiencing events a short period in the future, so you react more quickly to events. Like Guidance, only more than +1 and not a cantrip. Larger bonuses are justified by seeing slightly farther into the future.

Fortune-telling spells = looking into the future, or asking future people/spirits about stuff.

Maybe you can have an interrupt like Celerity, fluffed as borrowing time from your future self. You get more time now, but later you're messed-up and unable to act because you were screwing with the timestream, and that's bad for your brain.

Psionics has some time powers like Time Hop just make an arcane version.

Iwasforger03
2014-07-06, 11:18 PM
Replace the Eidolon with a Clockwork construct thing? You make a magical clockwork organism instead of summoning an eidolon.

Could do it as a full class archetype, ala ninjia/samurai to it. Could be a lot of fun. Though, i'd prefer something like that to have prepared casting, as int based prep casting seems more in line with something constructed with precision care out of clockwork and magic.

stack
2014-07-07, 06:06 AM

The third party celestial commander archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/rite-publishing---summoner-archetypes/celestial-commander) trades out the eidolon for teamwork feats you share with your summons. It's a neat master summoner without eidolon. Divine casting too, with medium armor, so getting in the thick of it with your little buddies is viable as well.

Propagandalf
2014-07-07, 04:34 PM
My archetype would just be a toned down/more focused version of the synthetist archetype:

Lose the Summon Monster I-IX (Sp) and Gate.

Gain Summon Eidolon (Sp)
3+Cha bonus /day use the Summon Eidolon spell as a spell-like ability (so a standard action to use). At level 19 you can use this ability as a free action.
and some bonus feats
At every tree levels, starting from level 3 (6,9,12,15,18) the summoner gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement. These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as Combat Feats.

I really like the synthetist (playing a lvl 16 synthetist in a campaign right now and it's awesome. I'm the only party member who hasn't died once yet. :smallbiggrin:) but I think it's a little too versatile with the summon monster sp still attached. More focus on the "Say hello to my supersuit!" thing.:smalltongue:

Snowbluff
2014-07-07, 05:24 PM

Maybe you'd risk some Wisdom damage or dazing because excessive temporal tampering is bad for your sanity (your brain is only designed to experience linear time, and experiencing its true wibbly-wobbly nature makes your brain a little wibbly too).

Psionics has some time powers like Time Hop just make an arcane version.
Hm... very good. I think I'll put a list together. Not sure about doing celerity, though. It's broken. :smalltongue:

Replace the Eidolon with a Clockwork construct thing? You make a magical clockwork organism instead of summoning an eidolon.

Could do it as a full class archetype, ala ninjia/samurai to it. Could be a lot of fun. Though, i'd prefer something like that to have prepared casting, as int based prep casting seems more in line with something constructed with precision care out of clockwork and magic.Maybe they should get an altered spell list and eidolon options, too.

My archetype would just be a toned down/more focused version of the synthetist archetype:

Lose the Summon Monster I-IX (Sp) and Gate.

Gain Summon Eidolon (Sp)
3+Cha bonus /day use the Summon Eidolon spell as a spell-like ability (so a standard action to use). At level 19 you can use this ability as a free action.
and some bonus feats
At every tree levels, starting from level 3 (6,9,12,15,18) the summoner gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement. These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as Combat Feats.

I really like the synthetist (playing a lvl 16 synthetist in a campaign right now and it's awesome. I'm the only party member who hasn't died once yet. :smallbiggrin:) but I think it's a little too versatile with the summon monster sp still attached. More focus on the "Say hello to my supersuit!" thing.:smalltongue:

Very good. I love synthesist, but it keeping the summoning ability is like saying "I'm a fighter but sometimes I like to be a completely functioning caster, too."

Maybe you should add something to help the eidolon suit heal when summoned?

Prime32
2014-07-07, 08:00 PM
My archetype would just be a toned down/more focused version of the synthetist archetype
Very good. I love synthesist, but it keeping the summoning ability is like saying "I'm a fighter but sometimes I like to be a completely functioning caster, too."
Are you familiar with Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis)? It reworks synthesist into essentially a tanky soulknife that summons armour instead of a weapon, and gets evolution points while wearing it. There's also an archetype that transforms their body instead, and one which summons a "blank" summoner eidolon that they can transfer evolutions to and from.

Plus a gestalt Aegis//Synthesist can be pretty nuts. :smalltongue:

Propagandalf
2014-07-08, 04:25 AM
Are you familiar with Aegis (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis)? It reworks synthesist into essentially a tanky soulknife that summons armour instead of a weapon, and gets evolution points while wearing it. There's also an archetype that transforms their body instead, and one which summons a "blank" summoner eidolon that they can transfer evolutions to and from.

Plus a gestalt Aegis//Synthesist can be pretty nuts. :smalltongue:

:smalleek: Oh my goodness!

That looks like an awesome class!:smallbiggrin:
That is what I would have wanted to play instead of synthetist! (and wouldn't have been as gamebreaking as my current char...:smalltongue:)

Thank you! In the next game I'll try to get psionics approved.:smallsmile:

deuxhero
2014-07-08, 04:32 AM
How about a full BAB/no casting summoner that summons a casting creature? Myth and fiction are full of mundane guys who summon casting creatures.

Psyren
2014-07-08, 05:44 AM
The third party celestial commander archetype (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/rite-publishing---summoner-archetypes/celestial-commander) trades out the eidolon for teamwork feats you share with your summons. It's a neat master summoner without eidolon. Divine casting too, with medium armor, so getting in the thick of it with your little buddies is viable as well.

I like this archetype! Would be fun to play.

Another interesting 3PP archetype is Radiance House's Spirit Caller (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/summoner/archetypes/summoner-archetypes---radiance-house/spirit-caller), which combines summoner spellcasting with pact magic. They are basically a binder that can physically manifest a vestige to do battle alongside them, and even modify the physical vestige with eidolon evolutions if they ace their binding check.

BWR
2014-07-08, 06:35 AM
One that focuses exclusively on the eidolon and remove all spells but ones that only affect the eidolon. Remove the time duration for the eidolon, have it constantly be in effect.