PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk Monsterhunter

Blackhawk748
2014-07-06, 10:42 AM
I've been watching Claymore and now i want to make a monsterhunter, but since im me im not gonna make a greatsword wielding woman, im gonna make a Lizardfolk who rips monsters apart with his claws and teeth.

Heres the Racials im using: +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int, +2 Nat Armor, Hold Breath, 30 ft swim speed, 1 Bite (1d4), 2 Claws (1d4). No LA or RHD

Now i was figuring my first feat would be Imp Natural Attack (Bite) and id snag a flaw for Multiattack, but past that im not sure where to go with this. I want him to hit fast and hard so i was thinking taking Avenging Executioner, not only do i get Sudden Strike, but i get to be a big scary monster that kills other big scary monsters.

atemu1234
2014-07-06, 12:02 PM
I'd recommend being a ranger, selecting monstrous humanoids for his favored enemies (maybe extending later to aberrations and fey) and then probably wanting feats like weapon focus for your claws and bite.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-06, 12:21 PM
I swear there was a Fighter ACF or something that allowed you to take Monstrous feats as Fighter Bonus Feats, because that would be freakin helpful

Edit: and i was definitely thinking about using Ranger, just not sure what Weapon Style to use.

WhamBamSam
2014-07-06, 12:46 PM
I'd say go with an Unarmed Swordsage focusing on Tiger Claw and Shadow Hand. Unarmed Strikes are a good way to expand a natural attack routine. Dip Cloistered Cleric for Knowledge Devotion (you are knowledgeable about the monsters you hunt and how to kill them), Travel Devotion (sets up Pouncing charge), some third Devotion feat/domain power or maybe Divine Magician if there's a particular first level abjuration, divination, or necromancy spell you want off the Wizard list, and the light armor proficiency which Swordsages need for their AC Bonus, but which gets traded away by the unarmed variant. Maybe take Wild Cohort for flavor and a flanking buddy.

Depending on how you feel about the fluff you could change that up to a RKV build, perhaps with a splash of Prestige Ranger thrown in for the exclusive spells off the Ranger list. You'll have to burn a lot of feats on Martial Study/Stance to qualify and nab some of the Tiger Claw maneuvers you want, but it could be viable. If you want to steer away from anything too close to full casting, finish the build off with Master of Nine or just pepper in Bloodclaw Master throughout the build to snag the Tiger Claw stuff you want without burning Martial Study feats.

A Totemist build could also fit the concept well. Maybe splash in some Unarmed Swordsage to get unarmed strikes, bonus damage, and utility. Say, Totemist 6/Unarmed Swordsage 2/Totemist +x/Unarmed Swordsage +2. Toss the Cleric dip in somewhere if you feel like it.

EDIT: For a Ranger, the Fangshields substitution levels grant the Multiattack line and a significantly improved Animal Companion, but they're non-humanoid only. Since you're homebrewing your race anyway, see if your DM will let you count as a monstrous humanoid. It's not like you're going to use the type for Alter Self cheese or anything.

Blackhawk748
2014-07-06, 01:49 PM
I can probably convince my DM to allow me to take Fangshield Ranger. Then id probably take 2 levels of Swordsage with another level of Barbarian and then go run off into Leviathan Hunter

Edit: is there some way i could get regeneration without crazy LA?

Edit again: actually scratch Leviathan Hunter, ill probably go with Avenging Executioner