PDA

View Full Version : Shield bash + two weapon fighting

Spacehamster
2014-07-06, 11:32 AM
Does improved and greater two weapon fighting work to give you more
shieldbash attacks too or does it only count for proper weapons?

A.A.King
2014-07-06, 11:36 AM
Shields are a proper weapon, that is to say: they have an entry in the Martial Weapon's Table. Their entry also says that a shield can be used as an off-hand weapon, so just like any other weapon used as an off-hand weapon you can make more then one attack with it if you have the appropriate feats

Spacehamster
2014-07-06, 11:37 AM
Shields are a proper weapon, that is to say: they have an entry in the Martial Weapon's Table. Their entry also says that a shield can be used as an off-hand weapon, so just like any other weapon used as an off-hand weapon you can make more then one attack with it if you have the appropriate feats

Cool thanks. :)

Zombimode
2014-07-06, 11:38 AM
Does improved and greater two weapon fighting work to give you more
shieldbash attacks too or does it only count for proper weapons?

Shields are "proper weapons", they do appear on the list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#weaponDescriptions) of weapons.

ace rooster
2014-07-06, 11:56 AM
I think the sword and board 2wf is fairly well established, often with the shield as the primary weapon! (It means you can use a heavy shield without penalty.) I don't think there is any good reason to disallow it.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-06, 01:17 PM
I'd consider Agile Shield Fighter as an alternative to TWF, though. Since you're shield bashing you're probably in a class with good armor proficiency, so Dexterity is one of your dump stats. Needing Dexterity for TWF will stretch your stats thin. ASF instead requires a mediocre feat as a prerequisite.

A.A.King
2014-07-06, 01:34 PM
I'd consider Agile Shield Fighter as an alternative to TWF, though. Since you're shield bashing you're probably in a class with good armor proficiency, so Dexterity is one of your dump stats. Needing Dexterity for TWF will stretch your stats thin. ASF instead requires a mediocre feat as a prerequisite.

I think that Spacehamster is thinking about a Ranger using the Two-Weapon Fighting Combat Style with a Shield. This is a guess based on the fact that earlier today he asked for a ranger without Spells or Animal Companion.

Spacehamster
2014-07-06, 02:02 PM
I think that Spacehamster is thinking about a Ranger using the Two-Weapon Fighting Combat Style with a Shield. This is a guess based on the fact that earlier today he asked for a ranger without Spells or Animal Companion.

Exactly right, a wood elf, half minotaur, half dragon ranger with 1 lvl barb for lion totem and 2 lvl fighter for 2 extra feats. :) 6 levels ranger.
The shield were just a thought, might stick with dual wielding mercurial bastard swords. :)

Bullet06320
2014-07-06, 05:10 PM

if your looking for options for a ranger without spells, Legends & Lairs: Wildscape by fantasy flight games has some good options for ranger, gives up spells for more options for their combat style, including different combat styles