PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder teleport trap into an antimagic field?

Akolbi
2014-07-06, 03:46 PM
I'm starting a level 20 game, and was curious if i could use the teleport trap spell to send people to an anti-magic field. the setting is a war between hellknights and the church of rovagug, adapted for a homebrew world, and i wanted an explanation to "why don't you just teleport in there yourself? that would save a lot of time and effort!"

TheIronGolem
2014-07-06, 03:52 PM
I'm starting a level 20 game, and was curious if i could use the teleport trap spell to send people to an anti-magic field. the setting is a war between hellknights and the church of rovagug, adapted for a homebrew world, and i wanted an explanation to "why don't you just teleport in there yourself? that would save a lot of time and effort!"

Dimensional Lock (http://paizo.com/prd/spells/dimensionalLock.html)

Lightlawbliss
2014-07-06, 04:00 PM
forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm)

Karoht
2014-07-06, 04:59 PM
Forbiddance (6th level casting) + Teleport Trap (7th level casting) + Dimension Lock (8th level casting) are all excellent tools to prevent teleportation into/out of an area.
Can you designate Teleport Trap to put someone into X area? Yes.
Can the area be a 10ft x 10ft x 10ft Stone jail cell with adamantine bars? Absolutely.
Can that area have an Antimagic Field active? Yes, but with some difficulty. Antimagic Field is a 10ft radius spell, centered on the caster.
Can "the caster" be a trap? Probably. Though that does mean that one has to cleverly place the trap somewhere in the cell, which means it can be tampered with, and it needs reliable trigger conditions. You'll want guards in this jail area as well. And Dimension Lock cast on the area every few days, in the event the intruders escape the jail cells.

However, since this is a level 20 campaign, by the time Teleport Trap is available, most casters can make their own demiplanes, which are MUCH harder to break into. And far more dangerous for anyone trying to break in. Most casters won't bother with warding places that one can teleport to, when they can just have a demiplane and operate from there.

jiriku
2014-07-06, 05:10 PM
In any setting that features a large number of near-epic characters, scry n die tactics are probably commonplace, and defenses against them are equally commonplace. The most common reason not to teleport into an area in that kind of situation is that there is a ready-reaction force nearby, ready to teleport onto the scene at the first sign of trouble and utterly murder the attackers. The reason all these powerful teleporting groups haven't killed each other already is that most everyone is immune to divination and traveling about discreetly, so it's difficult to know exactly where your target is at any given time. And again, if you teleport into the general area and start rooting around, you have only seconds after an alarm is sounded before a crushing response force appears.