PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Counterscrying

Jeff the Green
2014-07-06, 10:44 PM
So I'm back with another thing I vaguely remember but can't find. Specifically, a way to turn the scry sensor around when you've noticed it (maybe if you succeeded on the save?) and see who was scrying on you. Anybody recognize it?

questionmark693
2014-07-06, 10:45 PM
Epic Level Handbook, it's a scry check with a DC of like fifty or something. I'm away from my books at the moment, but that's where you'll find the details for that.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-06, 11:13 PM
Rats. Epic and incompatible with 3.5. :smallsigh:

Thanks.

questionmark693
2014-07-06, 11:15 PM
Technically, it's not epic, it's just a really high check in the elh...but yeah, not compatible. If one of my players wanted to try though, I'd probably let them use spellcraft, as long as they had an alternate method for detecting the scrying sensor. That's a DM call though.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-06, 11:17 PM
Well, given that I'm looking at it for a character (mildly paranoid divination-focused-but-not-specialized wizard) and the DM is allergic to 3.0 sources, I kinda doubt it. I'll just have to go with the usual defenses.

questionmark693
2014-07-06, 11:18 PM
Ah, tough luck. Hope you manage your other defenses relatively ok

Psyren
2014-07-06, 11:44 PM
Rats. Epic and incompatible with 3.5. :smallsigh:

Thanks.

This was updated to 3.5 actually, though you may not be happy with the result. Here is the relevant passage, with the parts you're probably more interested in bolded:

SCRY

The epic usages of Scry are no longer based on Scry checks (since the Scry skill no longer exists). Instead, each task is based on a caster level check, as described below.

To attempt any of these tasks, the scrying spell must be on your class spell list (though it need not be among your spells known). If you have any bonuses that would apply to the caster level of your scrying spell, add these to your caster level check. For example, a cleric with the Knowledge domain would add +1 to his caster level check to achieve any of these tasks, since he casts all divination spells at +1 caster level.

Learn Scryer: If you determine that you’re being scried upon, you can learn the identity of the scryer with a DC 30 caster level check.

Return Scrying: If you determine that you’re being scried upon, you can look back through the sensor at the scryer with a DC 50 caster level check. This allows you to spy on the scrying being as if you had cast a scrying spell upon that person. This return scrying can be detected by your target as normal.

Break Scrying: If you determine that you’re being scried, you can make an opposed caster level check with the scryer. (Your caster level must be at least 21st to attempt this task.) If you are successful, the scrying ends, and the scryer may not target you with a Divination (Scrying) spell or effect for a number of hours equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum 1).

Crake
2014-07-07, 01:13 AM
While probably not EXACTLY the same thing, detect scrying can help determine who's scrying you, and you can just scry them back?