PDA

View Full Version : Interview with Mearls

Yorrin
2014-07-06, 10:54 PM
http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/mike-mearls-on-5e-dd-tome-239/
Stumbled into this podcast today where Mike Mearls talks about all sorts of stuff, including:

direction
pricing decisions
book design
art
digital support
a LITTLE bit about licensing
working with other studios
dnd branding
modularity

I hadn't seen any of these comments addressed before or brought up around here. What stands out to you guys? I personally find the promised material for the core three books very encouraging.

HunterOfJello
2014-07-07, 12:29 AM
This interview is very enlightening.

I think it's also good for players who are trying to understand the thoughts behind 5e to take a look at the OD&D ruleset as well. Fifth edition strongly resembles a modern re-imagining of the original ruleset more than anything else to me.

pwykersotz
2014-07-07, 01:41 AM
While I remain ever hopeful, I have an increasing distrust of this vaunted "digital support" that I keep hearing about. And the non-answers regarding PDF's is a little vexing. Please Wizards, let me pay you to use your product my way.

Other than that, interesting stuff. I like a focus on artwork and history for monsters, I can't wait to see how that turns out.

Yorrin
2014-07-07, 10:03 AM
While I remain ever hopeful, I have an increasing distrust of this vaunted "digital support" that I keep hearing about. And the non-answers regarding PDF's is a little vexing. Please Wizards, let me pay you to use your product my way.

Other than that, interesting stuff. I like a focus on artwork and history for monsters, I can't wait to see how that turns out.

I very much agree with all of this. I'm especially wary of them returning to the subscription based digital support of 4e, which would be a huge barrier for me.

Inevitability
2014-07-07, 10:24 AM
I very much agree with all of this. I'm especially wary of them returning to the subscription based digital support of 4e, which would be a huge barrier for me.

I don't think we have to worry about that, given that almost everything from 4e got replaced or changed. :smallwink:

TheOOB
2014-07-07, 11:56 PM

From what I've seen, the dev team knows that the online offerings for 4e were terrible.

Sartharina
2014-07-08, 12:11 AM
From what I've seen, the dev team knows that the online offerings for 4e were terrible.
Eh... I liked the Character Builder (All the options in one easy-to-use, easy-to-browse place!) and frequent, respectable character options released (As opposed to 3.5's mess of dragon magazine stuff).