PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Paladin. OR Accommodating both visions of the class

Coidzor
2014-07-06, 11:00 PM
So, I have decided that I want to separate out the "Chosen/Empowered directly by Cosmic Good" and "Zealous Templars super-fanatically devoted to their deity, even more so than clerics" types of Paladin, which also seem to be the two dominant versions here on gitp. Partially, I think, b/c, 4e only had the latter type, IIRC.

Of the abilities of the 3.5/PF Paladin, which seem more fitted to one flavor than the other?

I'm also slightly torn as to the nature of the split. I feel one should stay as a base class, at least, but whether to go with Paragon style class or PrC or even a template, possibly even ala Dragonborn is escaping me. That premise jog a particular take to anyone's mind? Personally I'm increasingly drawn towards Zealot or Templar for the God-tied one to form a trifecta with Cleric & Inquisitor.

Or has anyone come across any homebrew retools or fixes that would actually so the job for me by aligning them more with one or the other?

Anlashok
2014-07-06, 11:01 PM
So... paladin and crusader?

Gildedragon
2014-07-06, 11:08 PM
On one hand you have the cleric, with the chosen/empowered by the gods. this side may benefit from the lay on hands and aura of courage more than Turning

On the other you have, well crusader, or fighter with offensive holy powers: detect evil, smite, turning

Celesyne
2014-07-06, 11:14 PM
I feel Pathfinder already has this sorta built in with the Inquisitor. As far as 3.5... yeah the Crusader is decent, but I'd love an Inquisitor cross-over as most DM's won't take the 2 minutes to reconvert. I fell that the Inquisitor is what the super zealous side of the Paladin was meant to be.