PDA

View Full Version : Paladin/Anti-Paladin books (3.5/3.0)

Yogibear41
2014-07-07, 03:09 AM
Are there any good 3.5/3.0 3rd party books that have good feats/alternate class features/etc for Paladins or their UA anti-paladin alternatives.

NecroFrost
2014-07-07, 05:16 AM
Have a look in the Paladin Handbook ;)

http://dictummortuum.blogspot.de/2011/08/paladins-handbook.html

Generally for a draconic Character Dragonscale Husk and the Drakkensteed is really awesome!

Pluto!
2014-07-07, 07:36 AM
The big WotC books are Champions of Valor for a ton of sub levels, Spell Compendium for additional class features and tricks, and Complete Champion for spells and Domain feats.

Besides PF (which is itself a great 3rd party resource for paladins, and which spawned a bunch of extra 3rd party variants), there are are only three 3rd party books I can think of that tweak the Paladin itself. Player's Guide to Arcanis has 10-15 variant Paladins that usually have some slight tweaks; most seemed tier 4ish with a standout morphing tier 3, if you want to use the tier terminology. The Holy Warriors Handbook by Green Ronin had a few packages of ACFs, but was more of a fluffy "Religions in your game" sort of splatbook. And IIRC, Secrets of Pact Magic had a variant that allowed Paladins to replace their spellcasting with spirit binding, which is kind of cool in that Knight of the Sacred Seal sort of way.

Edit: SoPM definitely doesn't go deep on Paladin support. I'm not sure it even directly addresses the class by name. But its generic spellcasting-for-binding replacement option is different enough to the point where I thought I'd list it. Don't expect anything extravagant for Pallys in particular.

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-07, 07:50 AM
By far my favorite take on the paladin and related archetypes is Green Ronin's Book of the Righteous and The Unholy Warrior's Handbook. I believe updates to 3.5 are available for both (though I think the latter is in the Encyclopaedia of Fiends, where I first encountered this bit of Green Ronin work).

The concept is that they disassembled the core paladin into several modular class features, formed those features into holy warrior "domains" that granted thematic powers, and then created a whole bunch of other domains that run roughly parallel to the themes of cleric domains (the themes, mind you, not the spells).

Thus, say you want a CG gnome holy warrior of Garl Glittergold. Pick up the Craft domain and the Community domain, perhaps, and be the noble guardian of the gnome warren where you grew up and protector of the works produced by the community's artisans (not sure if those were actual domains, been a long time away from that book).

The key here is that many of the domain powers are way, way more useful/powerful than those of the core paladin. Also, they present some alterations to the basic spell lists for non-LG holy warriors, along with a bunch of other useful stuff (particularly concept fodder).

Unholy warriors work largely the same way, from what I recall. From a DM's perspective, The Unholy Warrior's Handbook is even more useful, as Blackguard and the UA evil paladins are rather lackluster, in my mind. You can make some really, really evil npcs with this stuff, and much less vanilla bad guy than the stuff that WotC published.