PDA

View Full Version : Legacy of the Crystal Shard Monsters

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-07-07, 11:09 AM
Has anyone ran these monsters yet? Mike Mearles tweeted out this PDF and I was wondering how it stacked up if anyone got a chance to use it.

I have no clue how to use twitter, I just get stuff and look at it haha.

Twitter link... http://t.co/X1EmJOCudk

Not sure if that will work or not...

Edit:

Random note that it starts downloading automatically, I just downloaded it a second time on accident when I wanted to check to see if it worked -_-

IAmTehDave
2014-07-09, 02:24 PM
Looking this over, it looks like this is from the playtest sets, or it's using some sort of weird rules that I haven't seen.

For instance, maces do not deal 2d6+str damage. and I'm not sure how NPC spellcasting is supposed to run, so when it says X 1st level spells Y/day, Z 2nd level spells Q/day, does that mean the NPC can't heighten their spells as PCs can?

da_chicken
2014-07-09, 02:28 PM
They also don't list Challenge, just level, and nothing is below level 1.

Jötunn
2014-07-14, 10:31 AM
Looking this over, it looks like this is from the playtest sets, or it's using some sort of weird rules that I haven't seen.

For instance, maces do not deal 2d6+str damage. and I'm not sure how NPC spellcasting is supposed to run, so when it says X 1st level spells Y/day, Z 2nd level spells Q/day, does that mean the NPC can't heighten their spells as PCs can?

Hmmm. I would assume that Davrick Fain's mace is a misprint, because the Dark Adept above him also has a mace that deals 1d6 damage, and they're both medium sized creatures so one of them should be wrong.

For the spells, note that Hedrun the Ice Witch's new spells (Ice darts and Ice Spear) both have rules for heightening them that fall in line with what we've seen.

And lastly, this is definitely from the playtest: The very first line at the top of the third page states 'This section contains the information you need to run the
adventure using the D&D Next playtest rules'.

Knaight
2014-07-21, 12:24 AM
Hmmm. I would assume that Davrick Fain's mace is a misprint, because the Dark Adept above him also has a mace that deals 1d6 damage, and they're both medium sized creatures so one of them should be wrong.

For the spells, note that Hedrun the Ice Witch's new spells (Ice darts and Ice Spear) both have rules for heightening them that fall in line with what we've seen.

And lastly, this is definitely from the playtest: The very first line at the top of the third page states 'This section contains the information you need to run the
adventure using the D&D Next playtest rules'.

It could also be some sort of ability that adds another die. They might be keeping the dice increasing from 4e, if in a much more niche way - though that might just be optimism on my part.

lianightdemon
2014-08-03, 07:55 AM
Those monsters will work fine for the few weeks until the update the basic rules. Of course edit any changes like the mace damage. Then wait for the monster manual.