PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder OP lion build?

mercure
2014-07-07, 11:44 AM
I was looking at several druid guide and I didn't find anything good. Then I started looking by myself at the spell liste. Strong Jaw is an awsome spell and you get it early. Since the spell didn't alter the real size of your pet, you may use it with Animal Growth. This means your animal is huge but have colossal natural weapon.
If you manage to have 20 Wisdom you may cast animal Growth 2 time a day. Since lvl 9 it last 9 minute, well this is a minimun of two fight pear day were your animal companion is a monstruous destroyer.
A huge creature with 34 str is really strong at grabbing. It over +20 for grab and he do it for free!
Even better, turn yourself into a giant cat and use improved share spell to double the fun!

Down side : 18 minute max per day. Must be in a large areas to fight. Might get stuck!

There a quick exemple of what it greatly buffed lion look like at lvl 9. I didn't even make the feat right now. It only require armor training.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sound like a really solid build.

Lion lvl 9 buffed
Size : Large
Str : 13(big cat)+8(7th level advancement) + 1(level 9)+8(Animal Growth)+4(spell or item on choice)= 34
Dex 17 -2 -4(animal growth)= 13
Cons 13+4+4=21
Natural armor : 6(lvl) +2 (7th level advancement) +2 (Growth) = 10

Spell in use:
Greater Magic Fang +1 on all (9h) or 3 time +2(does worth it)
Strong Jaw (9 minute) Natural weapon become Colossal
Bull's Strengh (9minute) +4force
Animal Growth(9 minute)
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/monster-advancement
If you refer to this, your animal companion gain +3 AC. The spell description said 2.

Attack
Touch : 6+12(str)+1(Fang)
Bite +19(4d6+13)
2x Claw +19 (2d8+13)
Rake 1d6?
Does it increase with size?
The average dommage should be 62.

Equipement
Full plate +5
Cost 1500 *4(6000)+25000=31k
CA 14
Maximun dext +1

CA total : 25

When I look at that. The animal companion buffed would be much stronger then an warrior for sure, but only for few fight. This is normal in general. Fighter are always strong and caster are OP for few fight.
But when I compare to a paladin class. The bound ability last 2x 9 minute.(same as the druid)
Smite evil, 3 time(target) maybe more.
With 16 charisme you have +3 touch and +18 dommage against exterior evil
Quick calcul the paladin would have something like +15 or +17 touch with an averal dommage of 60.
Down side: Only against exterior evil, not really effective against large group

Well I would say, the over buffed lion is not really op, but it is really strong. You avoid must of the down side of a paladin.

Dr.Gara
2014-07-07, 12:47 PM
It's good for a very low OP group, but main PCs can very easily out damage it: Uberchargers come to mind, from a raw damage point of view. It also takes three turns to get this combo off, which can be longer then it seems in some combats. I'm sure that there's a better way to use your money and feats then getting it +5 full plate. Assuming full Wealth by level, you have 46,000 gold at your disposal at level nine. Using 26,650 on armor for your companion, as well as using a number greater then 0 feats on it, is probably very inefficient.

On a side note, spellchecking and grammar editing your post makes them read much easier- I had to toss "dommage" over in my head for a bit before it clicked.