PDA

View Full Version : Help with Ranged Disarm?

IIzak
2014-07-07, 12:53 PM
So I am DM'ing a group and one of my players wants to use ranged disarm, and I was wondering if someone could explain to me a little better how the mechanics of it would work, especially since he's small. Specifically, does his opponent still get the bonus from being bigger than him if he disarms from a range?

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-07, 12:58 PM
By RAW, the feat allows you to make a disarm attempt from up to 30 ft away. This means size advantage is still a thing. Of course, rule 0 and all that.

IIzak
2014-07-07, 03:17 PM
I'm kinda trying to gauge where people stand on the whole thing to help me make a decision here. Do you think it would offer a significant and unfair advantage if the size penalty was reduced?

FidgetySquirrel
2014-07-07, 07:06 PM
Personally, I'd keep the size penalty. You're still trying to disarm someone with a comparatively small weapon. That said, I don't think it would necessarily be unfair to reduce or even remove the penalty. It might peeve off a player who likes to use melee disarm, since it would be slightly sub-optimal with that ruling, though.

Zanos
2014-07-07, 08:10 PM
I'm kinda trying to gauge where people stand on the whole thing to help me make a decision here. Do you think it would offer a significant and unfair advantage if the size penalty was reduced?
Trying to knock the sword out of someone's hand is much harder when that person is twenty feet tall and their sword weighs four times as much. It holds up to common sense, but disarming tends to be a pretty underwhelming tactic to begin with. Letting him make ranged disarms without a size penalty won't break the game unless you run pretty much all humanoid enemies.