PDA

View Full Version : "Heck"boy

Nightwing
2007-02-27, 05:08 PM
"Heck"boy as some call him is the best series I have ever read. Mignola is a genius. I have the whole series.

What are your thoughts on it.

Nevrmore
2007-02-27, 05:57 PM

Dude, you can say Hellboy.

ElfLad
2007-02-27, 06:06 PM
Only if you want to undermine the fabric of America.

You gosh-darn Communist.

Nightwing
2007-02-27, 06:11 PM

Dude, you can say Hellboy.

I know. But I love using quotation marks! "heck'boy "heck"boy "heck'boy !!!!!!!!!!

Nevrmore
2007-02-27, 06:21 PM
Only if you want to undermine the fabric of America.

You gosh-darn Communist.
Hey, shut up you darned MELON FARMER!

Nightwing
2007-02-27, 06:24 PM
Can we please discuss H.B.!

NecroPaladin
2007-02-27, 07:16 PM
I love anyone who can punch Nazis in the face and not care that the Germans are gonna sue their creator's ass just because they can't accept their history. See: Cryptic Studios eliminating the 5th Column from City of Heroes. Because, apparently, Hitler in superhero world just ceased to exist and never did, EVER EVER EVER because our German lawyers told us he didn't.

Not to mention as antiheroes go, he's not the dark, brooding stereotype (he's more like a detective than a mysterious vigilante), and I instantly respect anyone who can step outside the box a little.

Not to mention I love the art style, and the whole Lovecraftian Cyberpunk thing Mignola's got going for him.

Nightwing
2007-02-27, 07:27 PM
Not to mention I love the art style, and the whole Lovecraftian Cyberpunk thing Mignola's got going for him.

I love The art too.

My favorite book is right hand of dome. heads Is the best H.B. story ever.

kuja.girl
2007-02-27, 07:29 PM
"Heck"boy as some call him is the best series I have ever read. Mignola is a guineas. I have the whole series.

Mike Mignola is a coin? :smalltongue: *bing* spell check alarm!
Really I don't think anyone's going to be upset with typing the correct title HELLboy - I mean the word HELL appears how many times in the bible? It's not a "swear word" except when used in an adjective and it shouldn't cause any virgin ears to burn. And titling a thread about Hellboy, "Heckboy" only confuses the matter and insults the author :smallwink:

Anyhow about the series - beautiful art, and "okay" writing. Mignola's writing is okay, but I felt that his art (& ideas) are much stronger than the actual written stories.

Nightwing
2007-02-27, 07:37 PM
Not that this Reilly matters, but I'm Jewish.

kuja.girl
2007-02-27, 08:54 PM
no - it doesn't really matter :smallwink:

I was just trying to point out that those most likely to be offended by the word are also the reason for it's offense (they're religion associates something "bad" with it, yada-yada-yada)

I don't follow an organized religion - so if I seem a little insensitive, I apologize, I meant no offense.

Dariendel
2007-02-28, 01:54 AM
I love anything Occult (even if I'm Catholic) and I never thought Hellboy was full of it until I saw the movie. I should get the comics.

Nightwing
2007-02-28, 06:08 AM
I loved the H.B. movie. Ron perlman did an excellent god as H.B.

Baron
2007-02-28, 09:20 AM
Baron Von Mod: Cut the politcal discussion around WW2 Germany. Or this thread will be locked. And while you're at it keep the religion out of it too.

Talk about the comic by all means, but avoid those areas.

ampcptlogic
2007-02-28, 10:09 AM
Mike Mignola is a coin? :smalltongue: *bing* spell check alarm!

I thought he was likening Mike Mignola to a species of small, annoying ground-fowl. I've had guinea fowl parked in my backyard for most of year before. They're ugly as sin and noisy as Hell.

Also, I like the few Hellboy/BPRD comics I've read. I like the art style, mostly because it's so different from the shiny glossy Marvel comics style. I would put him in with Frank Miller on the "deliberately minimal and very good art" category.

kuja.girl
2007-03-01, 12:51 PM
I love "simple" and beautiful art. And Mignola always chooses great colors, very moody!Somehow I've managed to trip more mod alerts, 2, this week than I've ever had in my 2 years on the forum. I'm rather embarrassed that I was so careless. My apologies to the mods and other members.
I'm interested in seeing how other's see/experience the world and I'll remember take that interest outside of these forums. Peace & Love & all that.

Nightwing
2007-03-17, 09:18 AM
Its a great comic.

TheOtherMC
2007-03-17, 08:06 PM
Abe Sapien for president man!

Nightwing
2007-03-18, 09:35 AM
Abe Sapien for president man!

Abe sapien for president! Abe sapien for president!

Good old honest Abe.

Nightwing
2007-03-20, 05:30 PM
If you look in the arts and crafts section in the Oriental avatars thread you will see a great picture of a seen from heads (my favorite story) drown by kulirush. It is great!

also Abe for president!

kuja.girl
2007-03-22, 12:26 PM
Nightwing - no only did you double post, but you have THE most annoyingly long signature I've yet seen. Use the spoiler button man. It saves load times and my patience.

Zodling
2007-03-29, 11:05 PM
Obviously, I have a strong like for Hellboy, and the BPRD in general.

The Cthulhu-equesness (?) of the Ogdhru Jahad and their offspring.

The creepy, minimalist art.

The fact that pamcakes are what turned him away from his destiny forever.

The whole thing is great.

And the movie, well, it's one of the most fun movies I've seen in years.

PS Nightwing, thanks for starting this thread.

Nightwing
2007-03-30, 06:24 AM
I like B.P.R.D. two. Though I have to admit he hole giant frog thing has lost me a bit. also I was expecting more from Abe's origin than " oh, I shiny rock! I think I will touch it. OH NO I TURNED INTO A GIANT FISH THINGIE!''. or at least that the way I remember it happened. As I said its been a long time since I read It, so I mite have the origin wrong. All I remember was i really didn't like it.