PDA

View Full Version : (IC) Atelmar: Shadows and Numinous Steam

Gildedragon
2014-07-07, 02:58 PM
The pipes of the undercity hiss at you as you venture into the Warrens, a network of tunnels, more like massive pipes, that allow access to the fuel lines. They are a haphazard mess of tunnels, vaults and twists and dead ends, a labyrinth where folk that know their way around can hide and act in secret. After all, hardly anyone ever comes down here: hardly anyone with good reputation and intentions that is.

The tunnel is silent but for the sound of your steps, splashing through the water, the inevitable byproduct of the river-tides seeping through the stones and fog and rain making their way down.

You are here hot on the trail of a beast. The reports on it have been inconsistent: oscilating between bear, lion, massive dog, and one report even called it a black jellyfish. However the disappearances are all too real, and it is clear it hunts near the warrens: workers that fall behind, children that wandered alone in tunnels they'd explored hundreds of times...

The Warders, the few that have taken an interest, assume it is just random deaths from people becoming lost in the maze, or falling to their deaths into the river, or, fewer still, suspect a kidnapper.
---

Cathal can see the beast's trail through the pooled banks of mud in the water. A smear of mud along the tunnel wall, a sliver of bone half buried in the mud. The path is barely visible, but enough that you will not be led astray in hunting it.

Still as you walk the path branches before you. The main tunnel, well over 20' in diameter yawns ahead, smears of yellow visible on the pillar. A standard mark for toxic fumes.
Similar yellow patches stretch on the hewn stone walls, looking delicate and powdery

Still, Genevive knows the sign beneath it: a thorn rune, it means there is a hidden passage nearby that bypasses the section. It is clear the beast went through the main tunnel, however, and sidetracking might cause you to lose its spoor.

DoctorGlock
2014-07-09, 07:29 PM
Alien, but familiar

The pipes hissed, the heat was cloying and stagnant and the air was filled with toxic mists. Not to different from the volcanic flats of home.
Hunting. That too was constant. Though the not-men warrens could not support the beasts he was accustomed to. Cathal spat. This 'civilization' thing was overrated. He had bigger prey to hunt, but the plant-not-man had promised him this would help. The concept of trading services was not that alien to him.

And as different as it was from his plains and forests, it called to his blood in a way that brought back memories. He fingered the bone spear-sword he brought with him for the hunt. Rough under his fingers, it was a constant reminder that home was real.

If forgotten.

Whatever it was, it did not bother to hide its tracks. But the not-men said it was intelligent. They also said shapeshifting lizard people lived in the warrens. The world was alien, but people were fools all the same. Some things never changed...

...His moccasins hit the basalt as he moved through the canyons. Silently. They mustn't make noise. Their prey was tooth, claw, scale and fury, and easily a match for ten huntsmen. Behind him his tribesmates fanned out, silently darting from one cover to the next. He took the lead. He could track better than any, they said he must be part animal himself. But that was silly. He simply looked where they did not. He could see the disturbed gravel and smell its musk even above the sulfur fumes. That was how he lead them to the cave. Standing before the narrow entrance, he fingered bone and fur talismans, praying to the spirits of beast and stone to give him swiftness and strength...

He stood before the entrance to the sewer pipe, fingering his old talismans. This was a different hunt, a different tribe. But familiar all the same. He gestured to his hunt mates.

This way.

[readied action: wildshape- something big and scary]

Vhaidara
2014-07-09, 07:53 PM
Krolmetali, the King of Metal, follows at a distance from Cathal. The strange proto-man fascinates him. As a construct of society, Krol struggles to understand someone who knew nothing of it.

Of course, he tried to pay attention to the job. But for now it was boring. He'd heard that there were supposed to be weird hybrid creatures down here, but none of them were in evidence. Oh well, back to try to write a new song to fit this magnificent specimen leading him.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-10, 06:12 AM
The Warrens... Why can't abominable affronts to nature and decency ever live somewhere clean?

The place was a pitch-black puzzle box dripping with disease vectors, and every splash, squish and unseen skitter made Genevieve's skin crawl.

It was lucky they had so skilled a tracker with them, all thold, as finding the creature quickly would be doubly a blessing. They would be solving the undercity's most pressing issue, and they would be able to leave this disgraceful mess of a...

Cathal stops–and with him, so do the rest of their 'merry' band. Genevieve narrows her eyes, her grip on her gun tightening as Cathal beckons. As she approaches, her light shines across the marks on the tunnels, slightly obscured by the passage of time... and likely the passage of other, more fearful things.

Toxic vapors... interesting. Whatever the creature is, it seems unaffected by poison–no, correction, it seems unaffected by this particular strain of airborne poison. Sadly, neither are traits we share.

Her eyes land on the second mark, indicating a bypass. A hidden bypass.

Acids and bases... it's never easy, is it? Note to future self: bring the proper reagents for detecting hidden doors when traveling through the Warrens.

"Wait," she whispers to Cathal and the others, pointing her finger towards the thorn rune. "Shortcut. Hidden. No poison."

She reaches into her inside pocket, quickly dropping a solid white capsule into a thin beaker of red liquid and quietly swallowing the fizzing contents. She feels her senses sharpen as the drug spreads through her system, and she begins scanning the nearby walls in search of the bypass.

Stealth roll to speak quietly (assuming that's the right skill, and that Phantom Sparks doesn't apply its penalty): [roll0]

Using an extract of Keen Senses, which gives a +2 to perception rolls and doubles my low-light vision's range for the next 6 minutes. 18 spell points remain.

Perception roll to search for the bypass, with the requisite Phantom Sparks penalty. [roll1]

Escheton
2014-07-10, 07:40 AM
On the way to the warrens Brickface discusses what priority capture and investigation should be given. It seems important to know if it was a natural creature. Possibly in breeding state.
Or if it was indeed an eldritch abomination sent down to cull the commoners.
What possible ways of communication and comprehension do we possess, what ways to subdue?

Brickface followed close after his tracker friend until the hold-signal was issued.
His arcane sight infused eyes brightly blue, underneath the magic veil hiding such features and keeping the appearance of his eyes soulless black as is natural of his kind.

He continually searches for faint mana-vapors from this possibly arcane beast.

"Shortcut or bypass? And does the creature have side-passage options that don't connect to that "shortcut"? I say the Tinman and I press on, hounding it's step. While the rest take the less perilous route. Your bodies aren't quite as equipped to deal with such hostile environs."

DoctorGlock
2014-07-10, 08:41 AM
"Poison, yes" said Cathal. "Fumes no. Mold. Fire purges. Reveals hunters. Track around, lose scent. Smart quarry. Strong, can live in poison."

Gildedragon
2014-07-11, 03:38 PM
With some careful examination it does not take long for Brickface to note a plank of plastered canvas near the ground, painted to mimic the stone walls, undoubtedly covering a passageway. In the low light and so close to the ground it is easy to see why many would not notice it.

The boards come off with ease, and a gush of stagnant water rushes out, it's dank smell offending some noses. With the recent rains it must have been some time since the passageway was used. The passageway is a 3' wide tunnel, the grille that once covered it bent inwards and out of the way. It will be a tight fit, but navigable on one's hands and knees.

Jangoose
2014-07-11, 05:30 PM
A hidden passageway? Just another twist. Even after hours poring over the blueprints it would seem the Warrens never fail to surprise.

As the group stops and searches for the door* peers down the now located secret door, Markham turns a faintly glowing eye down the passage and around the walls, looking for traces of magic the others may have missed. At his side, a catlike creature stalks the room, its pale frame whirring softly as untold cables and gears spin and pump and stretch inside.

Markham breathes slowly as he carefully channels the powers of his inner darkness, his hands subtly shifting into a wicked pair of crystalline claws.
It has been getting easier with time, and practice, but in times of danger, every bit of power helps, the risks be damned.

Though his mouth never moves, Markham's voice seems to echo in everyone's mind.

<This isn't a natural creature, not just prey. From the reports, I would venture a guess at an aether construct, almost certainly skiapomic in nature.
Someone or something created this horror. Who knows if they made more.>

<Losing the beast is one worry. If we split up, that might not be all we lose. I say we take the shortcut and stick together>

I will signify when I am speaking telepathically using <italicized angle brackets>.

Detecting magic and Seeing invisibility. Note that while the See invisibility is a 24 hour buff, I have to actively detect magic. Out of combat, please assume that I keep it on all the time
[roll0]

I have shapeshifted myself such that I look mostly like myself but with crystalline claws exposed (purely aesthetic). Starting now, I am using a free action at the beginning of every turn to charge my Eldritch Claws, which allows me to make AoOs with them and such, but prevents me from using standard Eldritch Blast. Since I am shapeshifted, I will also grant myself a slam attack in the form of a heavy foot to the face

*edit: forgot to click post, got ninjad by several hours

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-12, 05:22 AM
"Mold," Genevieve echoes flatly. "Marked with a 'toxic vapors' warning label. Typical. The health and safety standards here are unacceptable."

Not to mention that the safe bypass had apparently been boarded over and camouflaged. Honestly, there was inconsiderate and then there was simply hostile.

She instinctively buries her mouth in the crook of her elbow when the tunnel is revealed, and the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. Too low to do anything but crawl–through inches-thick, unthinkably disgusting water. Assuming it was water.

I think not.

"Cathal, I believe you may have struck upon the perfect solution to our problem. Fire purges, you say? And reveals the hunters? Then I suggest we perform two public services this evening. Burn out the mold, draw the creature towards the commotion, and set a proper ambush, rather than have half of us come upon it in some dank, cramped... sewer drain."

Jangoose
2014-07-12, 02:12 PM
<We may be able to purge the mold with fire, but I doubt the light will draw out the beast...
Skiapomic Ether, or 'Shadowstuff' you might call it, is not especially fond of light.>

Markham kneels and looks down the bypass. Though his vision cuts through the darkness, those shadows could turn out to be a danger in and of themselves.

<then again, it may still be the better option>

out of curiosity, how long is the segment of tunnel that has the mold in it? I may have some options for ways around/through

Escheton
2014-07-13, 11:01 AM
Brickface looks at his companions, and their various levels of practical finery. He himself rather not wade through muck himself either to be frank.

"How about we don't disturb the local eco-system more than needed and simply hold our breaths and rush through? We have established it's a natural air-based poison emanating from mold. I'll check ahead to see if such a rush is safe. Objections?"

Jangoose
2014-07-13, 10:35 PM
Sensing people starting to get impatient, Markham speaks up.

Look, Brick, I still think it would be unwise to split up. The darkness extends quite a ways and we don't know if there is more mold beyond. What if we get ambushed before we're through? Fighting and holding our breaths is not going to go well. Here, give me a minute, and I'll try to whip up some airmasks to get us through it in one go.

As he says this, he pulls a device from a holster at his hip. Adjusting a catch, he spins the revolver mechanism, aligning one of the wands inside with the static collector worked into the base. He takes a careful breath and begins to sketch in the air, muttering softly under his breath as he does so. Blue traceries layout the designs, which slowly fade into being. In the designs, you see layers and layers of tightly meshed fabrics, surrounding a sponge-like black inner layer. A simple fabric sleeve binds the filter together, and thin straps trail from the corners. Once the first is done, it lines itself up and neatly duplicates until six masks drop neatly into hand.

<These will only last for an hour, but we should be in and out by then>

He starts to hand the masks out unless anyone objects.

ok, so I am not super sure how this will get ruled but here goes.

I'm creating simple air filtering masks using my dorje of minor creation (psionic). We are playing with magic psionic transparency, so I take ten on my UMD check to auto succeed on using the wand.
This takes exactly one minute.

The mask is made of layers of very fine filter cloth around a thin layer of activated carbon on some kind of sponge mesh. (all of the materials are organic and the total volume is well under a cubic foot so no problems there)

The physical construction process is pretty trivial, and mechanically non-complex, so I would argue I don't need a craft check to physically make the design of it. That said, if you would like to require a knowledge 'engineering' (or something else) check for the kind of scientific knowledge to know what to use as a filter then I can roll that instead?. I figure the complex part is mentally understanding the properties of the materials anyways.

thoughts?

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-14, 04:47 AM
Oh, lovely, so we're tactically obliged to hunt it in the dark unless we want to lose it. Genevieve sighs at Markham's response.

"I suppose killing two birds with one stone would have been too much to ask for. Though if the beast is harmed by light, that may be an advantage that we can use once we find it. Hmm..."

Lowering her rifle for a moment, she reaches into her coat once more and pulls out a thick glass beaker half-filled with quivering gelatin, along with a pair of sealed metal cartridges. She carefully empties the contents of the latter into the former as Brickface shares his thoughts on the situation.

"The mere fact that the Warrens actually have a 'local ecosystem' is what I personally find disturbing..." she mutters. After a moment, however, her eyes soften into a smile as the contents of the beaker coalesce into a rainbow-colored swirl of lightly-glowing ooze. "Yes, that should do nicely," she adds quietly as she slides the beaker into her bandoleer for ready accessibility.

"I'm inclined to agree that we should stick together," she adds. "And that's not entirely due to not wanting to go on hands and knees through... that. We're not certain of the creature's capabilities, and it would not be prudent for us to meet it at half strength. All the same, Markham..."

Sending a mental command to her shiftweave, the stark white outfit beneath her coat swiftly transforms itself into thick layers of smooth oilskin and a close-fitting mask, her face and body completely covered.

"If we're going to be walking into the poisonous death tunnel," she continues, her voice muffled beneath the mask. "I'd sooner trust my personal lab equipment than something fresh off the conjure-line, if it's all the same to you."

Preparing a Living Spell comprised of Color Spray and Flare, caster level 1. This would be a CR 2 Ooze if I'm not mistaken, so that's 3 more spell points gone, leaving me with 15.

Shiftweave is now in hydration suit mode–which includes a filter mask of the type described in the OOC, plus a bit of jade.

Vhaidara
2014-07-14, 09:41 PM
Krolmtali scoffs. The breathers never ceased to astound him with their limitations. How had they ruled for so long when they couldn't even stand in the sun without protection. It truly disgusted him sometimes.
I'll go ahead, if you're all too scared. The dark and the mold don't hold any fear for me.

DoctorGlock
2014-07-14, 09:58 PM
Cathal grunts.

"The metal not-man is right. Talky Not-men will stand all day while prey flees or strikes again. We feast on its hearts tonight. Light fire and lose spoor or take path and lose spoor. Cathal say take secret path. Cathal will track."

Fingering a tanned snake-skin talisman, Cathal lopes towards the side path.

Preparing to shift into a viper so I can fit just about anywhere, it's one of my divine minion forms (hawk, croc, viper), at will, free action, wildshape is a polymorph subset and heals as if rested a full night

Track (with PF bonus)

[roll0]

Gildedragon
2014-07-15, 12:45 PM
Markham struggles to visualize the precise structure of the masks, but he remembers well their shape and function. A quartet of masks manifests, faintly glowing from their psionic nature.

Close examination of the masks reveals them to be well crafted but lacking key alchemical components. Still the filters are quite fine, and probably will provide some protection, but not the same (+1 vs poisons)

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-16, 05:26 AM
Genevieve sighs and pinches the bridge of her nose through her mask. So their tracker insisted on taking the side path. Perfect.

"Very well, Cathal; you take the side path, those of us less suited to it will take the main path. Markham, I trust you should be able to maintain mental contact with Cathal while we're out of sight? We should stay in touch, even–no, especially if we're not staying in sight."

But regardless, Cathal was right: they'd stood around talking for too long already. "Nothing else for it, then. Let's go."

Taking a deep breath, she walk off into the main tunnel with a splash, keeping a wary eye on the mold.

Note to self: Sandstone Solution also would have come in very handy in the Warrens. 20/20 hindsight and all that. :P

Incidentally, the wording of Nimbus of Light suggests a degree of flexibility as to how the glow manifests; I'm inclined to say that it take the "faintly glowing cloud" option, which is to say that it should still function with the clean suit on. If our beloved GM disagrees with that interpretation, I hope somebody brought a Sunrod. :P
(Or I could take a glove off... but it's icky down here)

Also: long-shot, but going off of my earlier Knowledge (Local) check, I'd like to make an Intelligence check to puzzle out any pattern in the crimes that the locals might not have spotted. In particular, might there be any sort of common quality in the victims which might help us to bait our quarry?

Intelligence check: [roll0]

Jangoose
2014-07-18, 12:47 PM
Markham grits his teeth, frustrated by the constant changing of the plans.

Yes, yes, I can keep us in touch, but please, Gen, I really think it would be best if we all stuck together. In the dark like this, the creature could be anywhere. Consider how the shadowgates allow transport through the ether. If the creature (or creatures) can truly 'vanish into the shadows' as we've heard over and over, they could surprise us at any turn. If we're together we have options, backup, support...

<@Genevieve: Wasn't that the whole reason for working with the guild?>

Cathal says he can pick up the trail again, and he's lead us this far. Lets just take the bypass, and be sure to keep the lights up until we're through.

<@Genevieve: Besides, I will admit I'd rather not trust the masks that just came off the conjure-line as you put it. Something about the alchemy felt a little off. I may want to borrow some books later to read up on meta material properties>

And besides, it doesn't smell that-- no wait, never mind, it smells that bad.

He tightens a mask around his face

<@Genevieve: at least the masks will be good for something>

Mask anyone?

Escheton
2014-07-18, 12:53 PM
"No thank you. I quite like the scent to be honest." Brickface meanders into the corridor, bending over to smell the molds and fungi as if fresh flowers, courting their pollinators.

Gildedragon
2014-07-22, 08:28 PM
The spores explode outwards, covering the tunnel in a sickly yellow haze. Its smell vaguely ripe and musky.
The spores stick to the mask, seeping through the filter, making Genevieve cough.

Cowardly Griffo
2014-07-22, 10:40 PM
Genevieve considers Markham's words before moving forwards.

"No, Markham. Our priority has to be finding the beast as quickly as possible. If that means putting ourselves at risk by splitting up, well... putting ourselves at risk is what we came down here for. Cathal can pick up the trail from the alternate path. I'm no tracker, but if the beast took the main path I should be able to find it–or it, me. Either way, there will be no more deaths after tonight. I'll see you on the battleground."

As she steps forwards, she adds a private thought. Besides which, we've already been bickering about which way to go for what feels like two weeks. Changing our minds again won't hel–hurk!

She instinctively raises an elbow to cover her breather as the spore erupt around her.

Fort save, with the +2 bonus from the mask: [roll0]

Jangoose
2014-08-03, 12:34 PM
The spores erupt without warning.

Even looking down the tunnel at the time, Markham barely has time to cover his face, let alone shout a warning to the others, before the thick haze sweeps by. The fumes tear through the mask, and for a moment, Markham coughs violently, his skin rippling over with crystal before resettling into its typical human form, his body driving out the offending toxins.

*Cough* *cough* It would seem *cough* that our decision has been made for us he growls, mostly to himself

but did we trigger the spores? or do we have visitors...

Dropping into a crouch he paces forward to join Genevieve, holstering his wands to free his claws

[roll0]
[roll1]

I am using free actions to maintain claws and readying actions to teleport back 10ft if something tries to attack me

sorry this took so long, I'm currently at a robotics competition, and things are super busy at the moment. On the upside I will be free soon!

Gildedragon
2014-08-07, 08:53 AM
Cathal's path is narrow, short, and rough hewn, changing shape as it squeezes at him from all sides with each step he moves forward.

---
The echoes of the party's coughing reverberate down the tunnels, growing louder and fainter as it bounces off the myriad walls, until it ends completely. few seconds late. Still you all manage to push through the spore explosions, clothes caked in the spore-dust, yellow and smelling of damp.

As you emerge from the haze you notice a beast's head down a side tunnel 60' away. It catches sight of you. Its black lips pull back into a snarl, and the tentacles that surround its head seem to lash out.

---

The exit at the other end is similarly boarded up and easy to remove. It emerges into a large tunnel, a dead end on one extreme, and on the other a black furred beast. Like a dog but much larger, looking intently at something lost in the dark. It seems to not have noticed Cathal yet.
The floor of the tunnel is strewn with bones, cracked for their marrow, and tatters of cloth.

DoctorGlock
2014-08-10, 12:04 PM
Cathal saw the beast turn towards his pack mates and hiss.

The hunt begins!

Cathal did not recognize the beast. Fitting for a creation of the city of not-men. It would not recognize him either, or his old ways. Whispering a quick prayer to the spirits of earth and tree, cathal reached out to the growth of the sewer tunnels, and they began to write with life to entangle the beast.

No time to think too much now! Cathal bounded forward, finger racing over tanned hides, selecting the right spirit for the moment. They settle on pebbled scales.

The fury in the blood rose to meet him, and Cathal began to shift.

Not-man nightmare, let me show you the horrors of my world.

Cast entangle as standard, use move to turn into a fleshraker. How big is my tunnel so I can determine medium or large?