PDA

View Full Version : [Labyrinth Lord] IC Strangers in a Strange Land

Pages : [1] 2

thirdkingdom
2014-07-07, 05:04 PM
Thirdmonth, Firstday

After weeks of an arduous sea journey the adventurers finally set foot on the southern continent, in the city state of Plud.

Plud is an ancient city, all adobe bricks and stucco worn to a light tan by the fierce sun, terraced into the hills that run right up to the shores of the Shallow Sea. There are few roads through Plud but many alleyways and twisting steps that traverse from level to level. Most houses are at most two or three stories, with open roofs that are used as bedrooms for much of the year.

The city sits at the head of a range of hills that runs south, dividing the land between a great desert to the east and a forest primeval to the west. This is at the same time both an ancient and a relatively unexplored land; there exist many relics and buildings from the Elder Days that have yet to be explored or plundered.

The locals of Plud are strange to the adventurers' eyes. Short and olive-skinned, both men and women slick their hair back with grease; the men favor facial hair groomed into elaborate shapes. The women do the same with their hair. Most wear colorful robes that stand out starkly against the beige backdrop of the city. The warren of alleys and narrow streets boasts countless stalls selling everything from copper pots to wool carpets to curiously curved swords. Numerous shrines and temples also dot the city, as the Pluddites are a religious folk. The companions note the occasional shrine to deities they recognize: here is a temple dedicated to the Sisters, there a small shrine -- almost a niche -- boasts a statue to the Lord of the Deeps festooned with kelp and seaweeds. For every god they recognize there are half a dozen they don't: The Hungry Man, the Whisperer at the Door, the many-armed Tharfaughn and his sister, the nine-headed Tsalhu.

During the few short days the companions have been here they have found shelter at the Inn of the Laughing Dragon, a large establishment by the docks that caters to ship captains, traveling merchants and the like. Talk flows freely, and they have heard the following rumors that may prove to be lucrative:

The Vaults of Demonic Ruin is said to be inhabited by a tribe of vitriolic kobolds, and can be found in the hills two day's journey on foot south of town.

The Undercrypt of Asan is rumored to be infested by a multitude of giant rats. It lies a good three days west of the city.

Little is known of The Secret Pit of Souls, other than its location half a day's walk east of the city.

Here you go, guys. Don't forget to subscribe to this thread.

Surgate
2014-07-07, 07:22 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax pulls his dark blue robes tighter around himself, hoping the lighting of the Laughing Dragon helped conceal his unsightly features. The journey to Plud proved to be a trial of patience for the warlock, who having made recent friendships with his companions spoke much more openly with them than he did the rest of denizens of this curious establishment.

"Vaults…crypts…Pits…they all sound so enticing" The word rolls off his tongue like honey, dripping with lustful enthusiasm. "But I would prefer to avoid the desert for now, and I doubt the rats of unusual size would carry, much less protect anything of worth to me. The Vaults of Demonic Ruin from what I'm told aren't too far, certainly less than the crypt, and a little farther than the Pit of Souls, but away from the Desert, and at least we have some knowledge of what to expect."

Dovax takes a deep breath, ending his short tangent there, and sips at the foamy ale in the mug in front of him, his scarred hands grasping it tightly, leaving a little foam on his upper lip after setting it back down.

"Thoughts everyone?" His bright blue eyes searches the faces of his 'friends', studying their reactions.

asnys
2014-07-07, 09:04 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn takes a precise, measured sip of his wine. (A poor vintage, but one does as one must when one's purse is light.) "I can find no fault in your logic," he says softly, just loud enough to be heard over the background hum of the inn. "But I do wish we knew more of what we faced."

In my time so far in town, have I encountered anyone or anything that might be a source of more information on any of these prospective dungeons? Sages willing to share information for beer, that kind of thing?

Doorhandle
2014-07-07, 09:19 PM
Valistriga the first

The elf thoughtfully rubs his chin, without the grace so common to the ancients. "Me neither, but I would like to point out that it may not be a problem of what the rats have so much as what someone will give us for their extermination. Still... The Vaults sound more lucrative at this point."

Valistriga looks disdainfully at the empty mug he holds before continuing... "Regardless, we'll want more men before continuing. It's reduce our share of the filthy lucre, but it may also result in coming back from the vault alive, and we all know which is preferable."

2 questions:
> Is anyone offering odd jobs or anything? Things like wanted posters, requests for strange materials, ect.
> Are any hirelings offering their services? Preferably fighters.

Elbeyon
2014-07-07, 10:55 PM
Emily Hayden the Unnamed

Scratching behind Wart's doggy ears, a few light taps send the dog from head level with the table to lying on the ground. Emily breaks eye contact as she composes herself with the group's collision, but rallies back. "If safety is the concern I would rather face an animal over a thinking foe. I favor the desert rats. Not that Plud disinterests me, but I want to explore beyond the town. The longest journey, the simplest foe, and an interesting terrain make it a winner. I figured it wouldn't be the popular choice though."

"The local pit rumors might be the only event that people around here care about. It could actually be a problem that affects the town. But." She raises her index finger while her elbow continues to rest on the table, "One. It sounds cultish." Bringing another finger to bear, "Two. Cult work is crap work," before putting her hand back down. "Magic is usually involved and that is a huge pain. Trust me; I would know not to piss off a practitioner of the arts. Eh, who knows what's really there. Unless people are going to change their minds the hills to the south sound like a fine choice nonetheless. I'm not busy. We could try to find some able bodies, information, and leave whenever."

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-08, 02:14 AM
Gurni Drofulson

The dwarf drank deeply from his ale listening to his partners talk about there options. When talk of hiring sellswords came up he decided to interject. "Well now hold on a tick I thought we were setting off to make money not line some merc's purse with ours. Besides why would you all need more muscle when you have this around." The dwarf stood hefted his axe and flexed his bicep for all to see before retirning to his drink, "As for where we should go I do agree with the general sentiment anything with the word vault in it's name, demonic or not, is bound to have something worth risking our hides for."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-08, 05:43 AM
Looks like the majority decision is for the Vaults. I'll wait and see if you guys want to try and recruit henchmen/get more plot hooks (see OOC). I will also need the following:

1) Marching order. I allow magic-users to carry a torch and cast spells.
2) Watch order.
3) Mapping. I will handle all hex mapping but do not map dungeons. I give a 5% XP bonus to any player that takes on mapping duties. I find that using Google Docs is an excellent platform for mapping.

Mordae
2014-07-08, 06:59 AM
Eric the Green

Eric sits back, listening to the conversation without much to add. His knowledge of such things is extremely limited, but he has learned from past mistakes that it is better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and dispel all doubt. When he does speak, it is without hesitation, in a deep and gravelly voice. "The Vaults are acceptable. Perhaps these 'kobolds' can be made to see the light of the All-Father and amend their ways. As to the hiring of warriors to accompany our journey, my purse is lean; however, I will contribute if it is the will of our number." He looks to the elf in particular; the way the aged one speaks reminds Eric of the high priest he had left behind in the jungles so many days ago.

Doorhandle
2014-07-08, 07:54 AM
Valistriga the First

"The more the merrier, Gurni. Kobolds are cunning if not strong, and come in large numbers: getting a hirling will reduce one of their advantages and improve our own." The elf then taps the side of his head conspicuously. "Besides, I have an inkling we may get a ...discount on their services."

Going to start hunting for hirelings, then. Another member can hunt for plot hooks instead.

How much money do we have all up, anyway? I can donate 30gp: 10 is used for job-hunting.

Surgate
2014-07-08, 01:02 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax restrained his laughter at Gurni's display. "I second Val on this." His scarred hand slid three gold pieces across the table towards the elf. "This is everything I have, spend it wisely." He listened to everyone's contributions well, and turned both hands palms up, addressing the group once again. "Then we are in agreement concerning our destination. Some extra help and information couldn't hurt, and then we will be on our way." Dovax sighed, speaking once again with an afterthought. "To make money you have to be willing to spend it."

Mordae
2014-07-08, 01:43 PM
Eric the Green

"I too pledge my coin to this venture. We are all in this together, or we shall surely perish and the sands of time wipe away all memory of our failure." Eric unties a small pouch from his belt and sets it on the table before Valistriga. "Perhaps take with you Emily; many men fall victim to a pretty face and will perhaps offer a lower price for their services." He offers the female magician a slight nod, but on his face their is no leer or suggestion of untoward attraction.

asnys
2014-07-08, 01:51 PM
Jahn the Quick

"And I as well," says Jahn, sliding a small purse across the table. "Thirteen pieces of gold, nine of silver; my entire fortune, such as it is."

Elbeyon
2014-07-08, 02:14 PM
Emily Hayden

Half a smile crosses Emily's face at the amusing, blatant self flattery. "You're right Gurni. We don't really need any more of that," she says jokingly. Thirstily drinking the down the rest of her ale and then reaching between the furs around her waist a twenty-two silver coin purse lands near Valistriga. "Aye, I think we are in agreement. Pity, I didn't think to save any gold back for our first job. That's all the silver I have left after accounting for my living expenses." With a grin too wide, "I've been living the life the last few days. A new town, a new continent. Plud's has been giving me all types of new experiences as fast as I could spend my coin."

Emily gives a slight nod back to Eric and agrees with no fuss or thought, "Ok, I'll go. I wanted to see what type of eccentrics live here anyway."

Emily always pays her fair share (eventually) so people can assume to be reimbursed later in this case of a lopsided investment.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-08, 02:15 PM
Gurni Drofulson

Gurni mumbles somethingvin dwarvish before tossing his purse onto the table. "Aye fine, have it your way. Just make sure not to bring back any cowards or cut throats."

Mordae
2014-07-08, 02:20 PM
Eric the Green

"One thing is for certain. We cannot afford to sit idly in this town, as pleasurable as it may be, for our funds will be depleted in a matter of days. We must, as northlanders say, make hay while the sun shines. In addition to a warrior of courage and honor, we must need someone to watch your horses while we explore, for animals are too skittish for the sound of battle." Eric looks around the tavern, as though trying to appraise whether any of the rabble would care for such low-risk employment.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-08, 04:35 PM
Don't read this if you've got some kind of thing against seeing how I do things.

Okay, Plud has a population of 6,000. According to Adventurer, Conqueror King (I borrow from a bunch of different sources), p. 239, that makes Plud a Class II city. Let's see. A Class II city has 5d20 light infantrymen available, which I'll say are suited to guard work. Light infantry charge 6 gp per month, but I'm going to double that as the rate assumes they're part of a large force. You're essentially asking these two dudes to chill in the wilderness by themselves. So, the two light infantry will cost 12 gp each per month. They will ask for half up front, so you'll need a total of 12 gp for them. It looks like the highest Charisma modifier is -1, so the hiring roll is:2d6+1=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563153/) Accept

Number of potential henchmen available (Normal Man followed by 1st level): (5d20=37, 2d6=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563150/) Plud has 37 Normal Men available for henchduding, and 7 1st level characters. Of those 1st level characters, roughly 40% (2) are fighters. There is a 10% per day of attracting a henchman:1-10 success: (1d100=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563155/). Huh. Reaction roll for Emily: (2d6+1=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563156/)

Thirdmonth, Firstday

The adventurers spread themselves out through the alehouses, beer gardens, cantinas and doss houses in Plud. Through the course of the day they enjoy no small success recruiting both guards and a stout fighter who swears to lend his sword arm to the cause . . . as soon as he is gifted with a sword to swing. It seems that the eyes of the natives Emily is an enchanting foreign flower, the sound of her accent as intoxicating as the fumes of the Black Lotus flower that is smoked in great quantities in these parts.
The two guards are named Laco and Suroy, and both claim to have done caravan work prior to ending up in Plud. They have their own equipment, namely a brace of javelins, short sword, shields and leather armor, but will need to be provided with provender for the coming journey. Each asks for the princely sum of 12 gold per month, due to the danger inherent in the job, and request that half be paid up front. They also insist that, should one or the other fall, the adventurers sent the remaining balance to their families. The fighter is named Damar and he kneels before Emily, taking an oath to serve her faithfully in all times of need, if she will have him.

The two guards will need food and drink, but are otherwise equipped. Damar has a Strength of 13; all other stats are 10, and 8 hit points Damar hit points: (1d8=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563163/)

Doorhandle
2014-07-08, 06:47 PM
Valistriga the First

Valistriga considers Damar with a raised eyebrow, before handing him a battleaxe and studded leather of average make. Blood oaths were not something taken lightly by elves, due to the high chance of regretting them for the rest of their VERY long lifetimes. Still, loyal henchmen could prove useful.

"Welcome to our humble organisation, Damar."

The elf then turns to the rest of the party. "So, are we set for provisions? It would be preferable to raid the kobolds for their valuables and not for their food."

Surgate
2014-07-08, 07:09 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax offers a polite nod to their hired muscle and help, saying nothing to them as he turns his attention to his humble elf friend. "I believe we are set, though if food becomes scarce, I'm told kobold stew is quite a delicacy". The monotone of his voice combined with his shadowed features make it uncertain whether the warlock is attempting deadpan humor or offering a bleak solution.

Elbeyon
2014-07-08, 07:10 PM
Emily Hayden

Out and about with Valistriga helping recruit. Emily's haggle was going about as well as one could hope, but Damar's flourish was totally unexpected. Flustered to the point of speechlessness, a dash of red on her checks, she was grateful when Valistriga made sense of everything again. She mouthed a thank you to the elf and accepted Damar's oath as graciously as she could. As Valistriga continued on with business as usually she started asking her new henchmen the basics of the basics about himself and sharing about herself in turn.

Are henchmen going to be faceless pawns in this game? I'm a huge fan of npcs so if they don't have to be ignored I'd actually enjoy knowing about him.

asnys
2014-07-08, 07:53 PM
Jahn the Quick

"I have my share of the supplies on my horse," says Jahn. "I am ready to risk my life for gold."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-08, 07:57 PM
Thirdmonth, Seconday

As best prepared as they will ever be, the adventurers and their entourage set out from Plud, following the Southern Road. They have rough directions to the Vault; they have been told to follow the main road for a little more than a day, then turn to the east and follow an old shepherd's trail. They do not make it as far as the secondary trail the first day, so camp by the side of the road for the night. Nothing eventful happens.

Weather: (1d20=3, 1d20=6, 1d20=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563300/)
Random encounter (1-3 on 1d12), Feature (1 on 1d6), Random encounter, night (1-2 on 1d12): (1d12=3, 1d6=5, 1d12=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563301/)
Okay, so Gurni has a move of 60', which translates to an daily overland movement of 12 miles/day. The Vault is 20 miles south of town, of which roughly a hex and half is on the road; the rest being overland.

Thirdmonth, Thirday

This strange land is hot and humid; this far inland the ocean breeze is bit a memory, and 'ere too long the companions have begun to sweat, even early in the morning. After about an hour they come upon the indicated trail; an ancient cairn of stones have been piled into a pyramid marking the eastern path.

The trail winds among the hills, blessedly following along a relatively level elevation. Visibility is rather limited, and the hills loom above them. Aside from startling the occasional coney or squirrel, nothing untoward occurs until mid-afternoon, when, coming around a bend in the trail the companions espy a group of men -- perhaps ten to a dozen -- squatting around a guttering campfire some hundred yards up the trail. There is something large turning on a spit over the flames, and even at this distance the adventurers are able to smell sizzling meat.

The men are clad in leathers and most appear to be armed with bows or crossbows; at this distance the Valistriga's sharp elven eyes pick out short swords buckled on belts. Half of them look up at the same time the companions come into view; they nudge shoulders and Valsitriga can see the occasional hand hovering near quiver or swordbelt, but no distinct actions are taken.

Weather: (1d20=12, 1d20=6, 1d20=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563304/)
Random encounter (1-4 on 1d12), Feature (1 on 1d6) (1d12=1, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563305/)
Hour during which encounter occurs, type of encounter, distance encounter occurs (3d4 x 10 in yards), Surprise (PCs, 1-2 on 1d6), Surprise (Monster, 1-2 on 1d6), reaction roll: (1d8=7, 1d20=13, 3d4=11, 1d6=5, 1d6=5, 2d6-1=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563307/)
Men, brigand # appearing (x10): (1d4=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4563308/)

Surgate
2014-07-08, 08:34 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Wiping sweat collecting along his scarred brow, Dovax saw the collective of armed men ahead and nearly sighed when he roughly counted their number. "What do you spy Val?" His hands twisted and cracked, popping the bones as he loosened them up for the proper gestures and cleared his throat for the incantations. "If we can get a little closer, I can put either all of them or at least some to sleep. If you think them suspicious give me a subtle sign, we don't want to alarm them."

Doorhandle
2014-07-08, 10:01 PM
Valistriga the First

The elf squints in order to focus on the camp ahead. "Twelve or so men: They're armed with both ranged and melee weapons, but seem to be as alarmed to see us as we are to see them. I think a friendlier method may be wise, but still keep that spell on standby. Also, that spit seems interesting..."

Valistriga waves and adresses the encroaching group. "Good afternoon! What brings you fellows to these parts?"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-09, 04:03 AM
Large Man with Beard

"Just passing through, on our way from here to there! Come and sit by our fire and share a haunch of venison, and tell us your story as to why you are here!"

Mordae
2014-07-09, 06:45 AM
Eric the Green

Eric leans over to Emily to whisper. "It is good we are being invited to close quarters--a sign of peace. Their ranged capabilities exceed our own by many times over." Then straightening, he offers the best pearly smile he can manage, a perhaps exaggerated attempt to appear friendly.

Doorhandle
2014-07-09, 07:52 AM
Valistriga the First

Valistriga nods to his companions and makes his way over to the new group plonking himself down near the venison.

"Well, my companions and I were seeking the Vaults of Demonic Ruin in order to make our fortunes. Have you heard of it?"

Elbeyon
2014-07-09, 08:25 AM
Emily Hayden

Cheery that they've found some friendly company Emily happily whispers back, "I can see that, thank you." No salt to her words, being the youngest meant a degree more coddling, but she has learned so much from her friends that she rarely complains. "Never did fancy a fight."

Emily preforms whatever she's learned to be the local greeting and enthusiastically shouts, "I am so glad that this continent has deer!" On the approach she steadies Wart for he won't cause any problems and looks them over with a closer view. Emily follows Valistriga's lead until she's close to the fire. "In other words we are broke," she laughs. Turning to a few of the men Valistriga isn't directly addressing, "We have just traveled to this continent, the boat ride was OK, and are busying ourselves with our trade."

Emily is collecting plants she has never encountered before while they travel. Opportunistic research.

Surgate
2014-07-09, 10:46 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax seemed relieve they didn't outright attack at their advantage, so despite remaining on guard and silent, he came close to the fire and watched his companions talk with the band of armed men.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-09, 01:41 PM
The adventurers are welcomed into the circle around the fire, and hunks of sizzling meat are quickly carved. Their hosts are hard looking men and women. Most are visibly scarred if not missing body parts. All are dirty, and exhibit the telltale signs of a people who spend most of their life outdoors.

The big man introduces himself as Jaceo, and implies that he is the nominal leader of the group. He allows that the adventurers are indeed near the Vault they seek, and if they hurry will most likely reach it 'ere evening. "I wouldn't camp near it, if I was you. This site here's a little close for my taste, but we brung down that deer and thought we might have us a feast. Everyone says them Vaults ate haunted, and the air inside unwholesome and damp."

asnys
2014-07-09, 01:44 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn stays quiet, but watches the men like a hawk for signs of ill intent.

Is there any cover around here? In particular, is there any cover I can get behind without blocking my view of these guys or doing something that may seem like an intent to attack? If there is, I'd like to put something between me and those archers, just in case.

Edit: Cross-posted! This OOC action now appears to be obsolete.

Mordae
2014-07-09, 01:48 PM
Eric the Green

The armored priest nods knowingly. "If we fear the lands without, what must that say about our worthiness to enter? And yet such tales cannot be easily discounted. Know you whether those haunted saw the spirits of the ancestors, or were rather snatched away in the night, never to return?"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-09, 02:38 PM
Jaceo shrugs, liquid fat running down his beard. "The undead, perhaps? Or some demon left over from the olden days? My gran-pap swears he went in there once, came outwith a sword that never dulled nor rusted. But gran-pappy was a drunk and a liar, to boot, and I ain't ever seen no sword."

One monstrously fat man claims the Vault is inhabited by vicious dog-men, whilst a woman with three teeth opines 'tis grave-ghouls.

Surgate
2014-07-09, 03:39 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Amongst the scarred and maimed men and women, Dovax finally felt comfortable enough to pull down his hood, revealing his own disease-scarred face. The warlock's attention was caught. "Thank you for your advice and hospitality." Dovax leaned forward, "we heard a tribe of kobolds has taken residence there".

thirdkingdom
2014-07-09, 04:23 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Amongst the scarred and maimed men and women, Dovax finally felt comfortable enough to pull down his hood, revealing his own disease-scarred face. The warlock's attention was caught. "Thank you for your advice and hospitality." Dovax leaned forward, "we heard a tribe of kobolds has taken residence there".

Jaceo

"Aye, the dog-men. We've heard tell of that, too."

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-09, 07:36 PM
Gurni Drofulson

Gurni had his suspicions about the band as they approached but his worries quickly seemed to pass as they were offered food and rest. "Aye thank you for the hospitality, very kind of you."

As the group discussed their intentions and the venison was passed around he decided to hop into the conversation. "You never know what you might find in those types of places, have you encountered any of the creatures out here?"

Doorhandle
2014-07-10, 05:44 AM
Valistriga the First

Valistriga turn from his steady diet of venison to talk to the dwarf.

"They've already been over that. Kobolds, ghouls, possibly stranger fare. I doubt the vault is actually demonic or else said demons would have killed us already."

"Still. If there is anything else we should know..."

Mordae
2014-07-10, 06:55 AM
Eric the Green

Eric turns his head back and forth between Val and Gurni. Despite their long lives, it was apparent the two races still had not managed to understand one another. Pausing from his own meal, he addresses the conversation. "I do believe our friend the dwarf was inquiring whether any of these beings have been encountered by our hosts on the surface." Immediately his face tenses, and he turns obliquely from Gurni as though half-anticipating a blow of retribution.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-11, 03:05 AM
Gurni

The dwarf took a large bite of his venison, talking between his chewing. ".... Of course ... I don't need to be waking up with a kobolds arrow sticking out of my rear ... those buggers are as sneaky as they come we can't be too careful." Gurni didn't bother trying to quarrel with the elf, at least not while there was decent food to be had. "Did your gran-pap happen to mention anything else about the vault?"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-11, 09:02 AM
Jaceo and his men all shrug. It soon becomes abundantly clear that their information on the Vaults has been exhausted.

Surgate
2014-07-11, 11:51 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"Mayhap we can reach the ruins and see for ourselves by evening". Dovax smirked, finishing his meal and swooping the dark blue hood over his head once again. "Look for us at the Laughing Dragon in Plud and let us return your hospitality soon". Dovax offered, rising from his spot nearby the fire.

Mordae
2014-07-11, 02:16 PM
Eric the Green

"Thank you for your hospitality. Should those that haunt the vault not claim us, perhaps we will be able to share our fire and food with you some day." Taking his cue from Dovax, Eric rises and offers a ritual bow, touching the tattoo on his forehead with his fingertips before lowering his hand, palm up, toward the earth.

asnys
2014-07-11, 02:28 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn stands and follows Eric and Dovax.

Elbeyon
2014-07-11, 03:25 PM
Emily Hayden

A loll in Emily's conversation gives her a moment to catch her companions readying to leave. "Already," she asks. A snap to her legs she raises up and addresses their hosts, "Thank you, for the delicious, simple meat. It really reminded me of home, and it was good enough to bring back good memories!" She makes some more personalized goodbyes to the people she was talking with before leaving and cleaning her hands at her donkey. Ready to depart on the road again she punctuates the experience as pleasant to her companions.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-11, 05:16 PM
Internet's a bit spotty where I am. I'll update when possible. Just to clarify, however, you guys are going to continue to the Vault and camp outside for the night before venturing within?

Surgate
2014-07-11, 05:32 PM
Internet's a bit spotty where I am. I'll update when possible. Just to clarify, however, you guys are going to continue to the Vault and camp outside for the night before venturing within?

I do believe that's the plan, but still taking advice to keep some distance between the camp and the vaults.

Doorhandle
2014-07-12, 04:13 AM
Valistriga the First

Vaalridge waves goodbye before rejoining the party, chewing on one last piece of venison. "May your your trip be short and your purse full."

With Surgate on this one.

asnys
2014-07-12, 12:33 PM
Jahn the Quick

I'm with Surgate.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-12, 05:42 PM
The adventurers bid farewell to their new friends and continue west through the hills, following the rough trail. After a walk of no more than an hour -- as the sun is beginning to set behind the hills, they come upon what can only be the Vaults of Demonic Ruin. Set halfway up a hillside, the entrance to the Vaults is like a gaping maw filled with broken teeth. After some discussion, the companions decide the wisest course is to set up camp just around a bend in the trail, out of direct sight of the Vaults and whatever miasmic vapours might belch forth.

Random encounter (1-2 on 1d12): (1d12=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4568333/)

Thirdmonth, Fourthday

The adventurers awake early to a light rain falling -- unusual in these parts, apparently -- and after bidding their men-at-arms to stand guard o'er their mounts gird their loins and gather their courage and ascend the slope leading towards the Vault. The corridor leading into the hillside is dark and dank; a fetid odor emanates from deeper inside. The corridor here is twenty feet wide; the entrance was once blocked by a pair of enormous wooden doors. Time and the elements have taken their toll on the doors, and they now hang in splinters from massive iron hinges. Twenty feet in, set into the northern wall, is another pair of wooden doors, in considerably better shape, and closed.

Okay, here begins the timeclock. I will give y'all a warning that this is a random dungeon generated by Wizardawn, and some of the threats found within may not, uh, be entirely level appropriate. There is no shame in running away.

Weather: (1d20=17, 1d20=4, 1d20=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4568335/)

asnys
2014-07-12, 06:06 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn smiles grimly. "Careful now," he murmurs to himself, as he begins to check for traps, using his blade to probe cautiously for tripwires and tapping the ground for pressure plates and trapdoors.

Surgate
2014-07-12, 06:30 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax mirrored Jahn's grim smile, albeit hidden from the shadows of his hood, and followed in formation, "If things get too scary, I won't fault anyone for suggesting we flee to fight another day". The leper let Jahn perform his profession, preparing his own spell in case the kobolds or something worse descends en masse. "Shall we check the door and listen for anyone stirring on the other side?"

Elbeyon
2014-07-12, 06:46 PM
Emily Hayden

The smell was really putting a damper on Emily's rather enjoyable morning. A little light rain invigorates the spirits. As she peers into the flickering darkness, she starkly remembers why delving into the unknown was her least favorite part of her new life. Emily gives Dovax a nod in agreement and with caution in her voice says, "We should move across this entire area to search for traps instead of only clearing half the entrance. And, perhaps switch to combat positions once we've searched and listened at the door?" Still green the adventuring business, she didn't want to insult her companions by overstating the obvious or giving a bad suggestion, but she wanted to prove that she wasn't going to be a liability.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-13, 05:50 AM
Gurni Drofulson

The Dwarf clutched his javelin tight with anticipation as he guarded their flank while the others fiddled with the door, the thought of what riches were down there sparked some child-like wonderment inside him, so what if a few kobolds and other nastys stood in the way he had faith in his companions abilities and in himself there was nothing to fear. "Should probably check for tracks leading in while we're at it, how much longer we gotta wait Jahn I can feel my axe thirsting to slay some dog-men!" He tried his best to keep his voice down just in case there was anyone on the other side of the door.

Gurni will stay on over-watch in the back of the group watching the flank until he or someone else opens the door then move into marching order with his axe out once they head inside.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-13, 09:38 PM
The Vaults of Demonic Ruin
One turn elapsed

The adventurers search the entrance. It does not take much tome or effort before hidden dangers reveal themselves: before each door are cunningly disguised pit traps hidden in the flagstones. No method of disarming the traps is readily apparent, but it is a simple matter to simply skirt around the edges.

The doors appear to be unlocked and untrapped.

asnys
2014-07-13, 10:33 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn quickly checks the door for more traps, then (assuming he finds none) presses his ear to the door, listening for anything on the other side.

Surgate
2014-07-14, 11:35 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax is careful around the cleverly implemented traps, using his flint and steel to light one of his torches, staying quiet and letting Jahn check the door and what might be lurking just behind it.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-14, 01:04 PM
No traps are found, nor any noises heard from behind the massive doors.

asnys
2014-07-14, 01:08 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn nods, and turns to the others. Let's do it, he mouthes silently, his hand laying on the door, ready to pull it open.

If the door opens outward, I'm going to use it to cover myself as I open it until we know what's on the other side. If it opens inward, I'll try to stand to the side to keep myself out of the line of fire as much as possible. If there are no monsters inside, I'll start checking for traps in the room.

Mordae
2014-07-14, 01:11 PM
Eric the Green

Eric stands at the ready. His sling is tucked to one side of his belt, and on the other side hands the pouch of stones that are at the ready when called for. He holds his flail loosely in his left hand, swinging the steel ball idly back and forth a few inches as he waits for Jahn to pronounce the passage safe. While the group pauses, he offers a pleasant smile toward the other companions standing clear of Jahn's workspace. "I am not surprised these 'kobolds' guard their lairs well, if they are intelligent. Perhaps they are wise enough to accept the light of the All-Father."

Elbeyon
2014-07-14, 01:15 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily's heart leap into her throat when Jahn was about to open the door. "Wait," she said with some volume. "We should switch positions for combat." Grabbing her sling and a bullet herself.

asnys
2014-07-14, 01:29 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn nods and switches places into combat formation.

Surgate
2014-07-14, 01:55 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax nods approvingly, getting into combat formation, one hand free for spell casting, the other holding their lightsource tightly, as if it would somehow protect him from whatever foulness lurked here.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-14, 11:50 PM
One turn elapsed

The adventurers push open the doors to reveal a chamber some forty feet deep and sixty feet wide. Set into the wall opposite the main doors is a fireplace large enough for a man to stand within -- or it would be, were it not choked with timbers and debris. The two corners of that far wall are truncated by rooms that extend into the main hallway some ten feet in each direction -- each bears an open archway facing the fireplace. Immediately to the south of these two rooms are a door each set into the eastern and western walls; from where the adventurers stand in the entrance these doors appear to be of wood and are closed. In addition, the southern exterior wall features a doorway to either side of the main entrance, set perhaps fifteen feet from the jamb.

These random maps can be a bit tricky to describe. I am using the standard dungeon convention of north being the direction you're facing upon entering the dungeon. Essentially, the fireplace is in the center of the northern wall. There are two rooms that protrude ten feet in either direction in the north-east and south-east corners -- with open doorways -- and an additional door set into the main eastern and western walls just south of those two rooms. Also, the doorways on either side of the main entrance appear to lead into rooms that flank the trapped entrance.

asnys
2014-07-15, 12:28 AM
Jahn the Quick

"Archways first?" murmurs Jahn, just loud enough for his companions to hear him.

Surgate
2014-07-15, 01:48 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax thumbed his chin, grunting a proposal. "Perhaps. Let us be careful while we proceed into this main chamber, and see what we might gleam through the open archways and their room's contents. Then check these western and eastern doors afterwards, in hopes we don't get cut off from the true exit should we require a quick retreat."

Mordae
2014-07-15, 10:36 AM
Eric the Green

Eric peers into the shadowy room. "It appears this place has not been used in some time. We should remain cautious, however. I suggest we check these doors that are on the entry face."

GM, please let me know if this isn't correct.

EDIT: Got the dimensions switched. Sorry...
http://imgur.com/s314wQV

Elbeyon
2014-07-15, 11:29 AM
Emily Hayden

Hming, "The archways could open us up to a threat and that threat should be accounted for at some point; however, I don't think it'd be wise to expose our backs to unexplored rooms. Especially if those rooms are between us and our retreat. I'm with Eric. Let's keep an eye on the archways while we secure our flanks."

Speaking in her more causal voice, "And, hey. If we're lucky there might still be weapons and armor left over. What other room would be right next to the entrance than a guard post or two?"

Surgate
2014-07-15, 01:22 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax nodded agreement, adding no more noise to the conversation.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-15, 06:09 PM
I'm on my phone with a bad internet connection, and will check the map when possible. I will say that these randomly generated dungeon maps tend to be a bear to describe; if it is way off I might go ahead and get y'all started using Google Docs.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-16, 12:59 AM
Gurni Drofulson

Gurni kept an eye out for any more pit traps or pressure plates on the floor ahead and then studied the ceiling making sure to check for any monsters or spots where the ceiling might give way. "Well before we move onto other rooms I want to check out that fireplace, make sure that it ain't something's nest. Now I don't want to waste daylight standing at this entrance so let's take a few steps in and get a better look of the place aye?."

Mordae
2014-07-17, 10:33 AM
Eric the Green

Eric nods. "I'll watch your back. Everyone else, keep an eye on those doors."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-17, 04:44 PM
I'm back. Thanks for bearing with me. Let me know if I missed anything.

Three turns elapsed

Jahn checks each door in turn, first by examining them for common traps and hidden dangers, then by pressing his ear to each in turn. He finds nothing untoward at either. Gurni meanwhile, is unable to discover any pitfalls of stone or rock.

The doors are cautiously pushed open. Each room is fifteen feet square. Both seem to have been intended as guard-posts at some point. Although they were not visible from the entry hall, each room boasts several cunningly disguised arrow slits looking out to the entrance hall. The eastern room seems completely empty; the western room is empty except for a mound of debris in the center of the room.

Wandering Monsters (1 on 1d6): (1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4574528/)

Surgate
2014-07-17, 07:51 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax points at the mound of debris as well as the fireplace. "Check for items of interest and rest before venturing any further?"

asnys
2014-07-17, 09:58 PM
Jahn the Quick

"Agreed", Jahn whispers.

Elbeyon
2014-07-17, 11:54 PM
Emily Hayden

"Ya, that sounds good to me." Emily starts to tug up her evening gloves and re-tighten their strings.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-18, 03:58 AM
Four turns elapsed

The pile of debris proves to be composed of moldering fabric -- likely from tapestries or carpets -- decaying wood and dirt. Poking through the trash the adventurers discover 24 gold coins and a tin pot that is still in decent condition.

Wandering Monster (1 on 1d6): (1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4575188/)

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-18, 03:54 PM
Gurni Drofulson

"Hey would you look at that!" the drwarf grabbed the pot and held it up, "We keep this up and we'll be able to open an eatery soon, I hope no one minds if I hold onto this?" Gurni begins to pack the tin pot while looking around. "Hmm...after our rest maybe we should go off to the left?"

Surgate
2014-07-18, 04:14 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax chuckled softly, and nodded. "Keep it, we haven't found much, but perhaps the fireplace has something. Left or right, I have no preference".

thirdkingdom
2014-07-18, 05:11 PM
Gurni Drofulson

"Hey would you look at that!" the drwarf grabbed the pot and held it up, "We keep this up and we'll be able to open an eatery soon, I hope no one minds if I hold onto this?" Gurni begins to pack the tin pot while looking around. "Hmm...after our rest maybe we should go off to the left?"

The pot weighs 25 cn. Everyone, please make sure that any treasure you find makes it onto someone's character sheet. A good idea might be to add a "treasure" entry on your OOC post with your character, but outside of any spoilers used for character sheet, so you can see at a glance what treasure (and how much it weighs) any one character is carrying.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-18, 05:23 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax chuckled softly, and nodded. "Keep it, we haven't found much, but perhaps the fireplace has something. Left or right, I have no preference".

Does the above post indicate that you want to search the fireplace, the whole of the main room or the archways/doors?

Just a note on how I've done things so far. I assumed that you guys did not thoroughly search the empty, eastern room, but that you did spend an entire turn searching both the western room and the debris on the floor in the western room.

Surgate
2014-07-18, 05:37 PM
Does the above post indicate that you want to search the fireplace, the whole of the main room or the archways/doors?

Just a note on how I've done things so far. I assumed that you guys did not thoroughly search the empty, eastern room, but that you did spend an entire turn searching both the western room and the debris on the floor in the western room.

I was suggesting the fireplace, and if anyone wants to spend a turn searching the eastern room and the main room by all means.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-19, 06:49 AM
Okay, I'll give it until this evening, east coast time, for people to chime in as to what and where they would like to search.

Elbeyon
2014-07-19, 12:59 PM
Emily Hayden

"Heh", she chuckles while grabbing the coins and securing some of the moldy tapestries in her backpack. "Gurni, do you know how to use that thing? Besides for bashing in heads. I don't think I've ever seen any of us cook?" Raising an eyebrow at the group.

Ready to move on with the rest she'll try to wipe herself off from whatever grime she got on herself. "Ya, let's continue with the plan. Give a look through the arches, if we don't see anything we'll take a search and a rest near the fireplace. I could enjoy a fire right now. My clothes are still a little wet since this morning."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-19, 03:37 PM
The Vaults of Demonic Ruin,
Five turns elapsed

The adventurers venture back into the entry hall and examine each archway in turn. Before approaching each they listen carefully from a distance. Nothing is heard from either opening. Cautiously approaching each in turn, the adventurers peer through the opening. Each proves to be a room measuring roughly twenty feet in each dimension. The eastern door appears largely empty except for a wooden chair situated in the center of the room. Some small objects on the chair seat glisten with a golden glow in the torchlight. A rusty chandelier hangs from the ceiling over the chair.

The western room is filled with wooden barrels and crates. From where the companions stand, outside the room, the containers appear old and in poor repair.

Faced with some choices, and flickering torches, the adventurers decide to rest while they consider their options.

Hear Noise (eastern arch first, then western arch, success on 1-2): (1d6=1, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4576736/)
Checking out each room as described takes one turn in all, the fifth turn that has thus far elapsed. The characters will need to rest for a turn; any torches that are burning will extinguish at the end of six turns.

asnys
2014-07-19, 08:46 PM
Jahn the Quick

"My vote is for the eastern archway," Jahn says softly as they rest. "I like the look of anything that glistens."

Elbeyon
2014-07-20, 12:28 AM
Emily Hayden

Emily scooches against wall with her back resting against it Emily gives a, "Yep, yep. The fireplace and then the east sounds fine to me." She picks through some of the moldy cloth she got out of the refuse pile, examining it, before staring up at Gurni. While they wait out their break Emily keeps quite and a seemingly nervous watch on the western room. As their break comes to an end, if they aren't interrupted, she'll speak up before they move on.

"That there," she points to the chandelier, "gives me some relief. That has to be one of the worse traps I've ever seen; I'd almost be disappointed if it wasn't a trap. Hey, Gurni, if we can't find a way to stop it from falling on us. Wanna do us the favor of knocking the shiny stuff away with your awfully long stick?"

For the next update Emily is keeping her attention towards the western room even if they enter the eastern room.

Surgate
2014-07-20, 01:11 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"The shiny stuff is obviously prone to be trapped in some fashion, so be careful. The boxes and crates may hold something not readily apparent. But let us take it one room at a time, I'm for the eastern room, checking the fireplace, and then moving along to the western room" The warlock spoke with a measure of caution, but also greed, quite excited what they might find.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-20, 01:21 PM
Note that I made all rolls on my phone, so can't link to them. Also, it's been eight days since we heard from Doorhandle -- granted, my posting was sporadic during that time -- but if we don't gear ftom him soon I'm afraid Valistraga will become Lost in the Dark (tm).

Six turns elapsed

It is during the first rest period that the keen ears of both Jahn and Valistraga pick up a commotion of sorts from outside the Vaults. A shout, perhaps, cut short? The frightened whinny of horses?

Surgate
2014-07-20, 02:50 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax turns his head towards the front exit and sighs. "Mayhap we ignore my last bit of advice and investigate what Jahn and Val heard outside, no point in collecting valuables if our mounts and hirelings are dead". He didn't expect the first of their troubles to come from outside the vaults, but alas there wasn't much that could be done about it aside from investigating.

"Be mindful of those traps at the front, no sense rushing to an untimely demise"

Elbeyon
2014-07-20, 03:17 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily let's out a negative, "Oh, boy." standing up. "I hope it's not Laco and Suroy. We haven't even gotten to celebrate together yet." On the move she'll suggest they take a peak outside before rushing out.

No free elf for the rest of our adventuring days? :smallfrown:

Should we stop queuing up multiple turns in a row and instead just take one turn at a time?

asnys
2014-07-20, 03:19 PM
Jahn the Quick

"Curse it all," mutters Jahn, and follows Dovax towards the dungeon exit.

Strongly recommend we proceed in combat formation.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-20, 03:29 PM
Emily Hayden

Should we stop queuing up multiple turns in a row and instead just take one turn at a time?

Can you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean.

Elbeyon
2014-07-20, 03:54 PM
Combat formation sounds good to me.

We've been doing stuff like: "I'm for the eastern room, checking the fireplace, and then moving along to the western room." Those actions would probably take multiple turns to execute. Would you prefer that we only give one turns worth of actions like: "I'm for the eastern room"?

Doorhandle
2014-07-20, 05:40 PM
Note that I made all rolls on my phone, so can't link to them. Also, it's been eight days since we heard from Doorhandle -- granted, my posting was sporadic during that time -- but if we don't gear ftom him soon I'm afraid Valistraga will become Lost in the Dark (tm).

Six turns elapsed

It is during the first rest period that the keen ears of both Jahn and Valistraga pick up a commotion of sorts from outside the Vaults. A shout, perhaps, cut short? The frightened whinny of horses?

Hold up! I'm still alive! I was just away with little Internet! Check the sig! :smallgrin:

I'll respond properly once I return home this afternoon.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-20, 06:21 PM
Combat formation sounds good to me.

We've been doing stuff like: "I'm for the eastern room, checking the fireplace, and then moving along to the western room." Those actions would probably take multiple turns to execute. Would you prefer that we only give one turns worth of actions like: "I'm for the eastern room"?

No, that's cool. It let's me post multiple turns if possible, as long as you guys give order of operations: "The western room proves to be empty, so the adventurers move to the eastern room, where they are promptly eaten by grues."

Doorhandle
2014-07-21, 03:25 AM
Valistriga the first

Valistriga was daydreaming about having his own glorious elven keep and retiring in glorious wealth for the rest of his extensive life, when the racket above ground suddenly snapped him out of it.

"...What the? Oh hell. THE HORSES! GET TO THE HORSES!"

Assuming my position in combat formation. Where is said position, by the way?

thirdkingdom
2014-07-21, 04:00 AM
End of Six Turns

The adventurers return to the mouth of the dungeon and peer outside. A dozen or so men surround their mounts and retainers, blades out. The horses rear and neigh, eyes rolling. One man -- you can't tell which of your retainers, from this distance, is on the ground, unmoving, the other has blood streaming from a head wound. The attackers seem to be the same folk the companions supped with, the previous night. They are perhaps 90 to 100 yards away.

Surgate
2014-07-21, 01:25 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"I knew they couldn't be trusted. Be sure to slit their throats with something sharp when they fall" Dovax scoffed openly, once again clearing his throat and popping his calloused scarred hands for his sleep spell. He moves forward, trying to get into range while staying in combat formation. When he can, Strange words flow from his tongue, and his fingers twist and turn, commanding the band of bandits to fall into a magical slumber!

asnys
2014-07-21, 01:30 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn utters a brief oath, throws a dagger at the bandit's leader, then dives for cover.

That was stupid, didn't see the range

Elbeyon
2014-07-21, 01:44 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily raises her fist to Dovax readying to punch him if he doesn't. "Stop right now you idiots. You're spell won't even reach them." She has so many things she wants to say to her friends and to her enemies, but only enough time to say what needs to be said. If she even has that now. "No matter what we do we've got to get out of this deathtrap before their future attempts to siege us actually work. The people without armor should try to escape first into the surrounding land; I'll try to escape with the heavily armored, noisy, group."

Surgate
2014-07-21, 01:49 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"Calm down lass, we can't simply leave those men to die! Try what you will, I'm going to get closer, and hopefully get in range to blast them. It would be wise to stay out of range of my spell"

Elbeyon
2014-07-21, 01:54 PM
Emily Hayden

Hushing herself, "They aren't fighting! They've been captured; They're safer than us right now."

Surgate
2014-07-21, 01:58 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"Tell that to their families. Flee and survive, but I'm not leaving without teaching those thieves a lesson or I'll die trying"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-21, 02:03 PM
Emily Hayden

Hushing herself, "They aren't fighting! They've been captured; They're safer than us right now."

Damar, Emily's Henchman

Damar looks uneasy upon hearing his employer's willingness to abandon her employees; Dovax's words seem to relieve him, somewhat.

Dovax made his morale check.

Barely.

Elbeyon
2014-07-21, 02:11 PM
Emily Hayden

"I'm not abandoning them. I'm saying let's get into a position were we can save them; I want to save them more than your suicidal ass. Charge a volley line if you want; I'll actually try and save some lives here, not throw them away."

Surgate
2014-07-21, 02:18 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax merely chuckled, "Quite the tongue you have lass, let us hope you succeed with your plan if mine fails"

asnys
2014-07-21, 02:34 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn stays silent, waiting to see if the crazy warlock intends to carry out his plan.

I need to go pack for my impending move. If Dvorax or others charge the enemy, I'm going to tag along with Emily in trying to sneak away. If not, I'll participate as best I'm able in whatever plan the others come up with - about all I'm good for in a fight is hanging back and chucking daggers anyway.

Elbeyon
2014-07-21, 04:50 PM
Emily Hayden

"Fine! Enjoy your plague buddies."

Emily takes a sharp breath, "I hope for your sake they don't know the weakness of your spell. Try to get captured instead of dying you fool." With one last fiery stare she says, "Give us some to gain some distance before you rush into the enemy." Emily will try to escape the bandits notice and slip away into the hills with a heeled wart and whoever will follow.

Surgate
2014-07-21, 05:43 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax ignores that last bit of Emily's tantrum and approaches the brigands with his hands up, prepared to cast sleep when in range and just in case Val's charms doesn't work. He says nothing, and his hood partially covers the scowl on his scarred face.

Doorhandle
2014-07-21, 06:01 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax merely chuckled, "Quite the tongue you have lass, let us hope you succeed with your plan if mine fails"

Valistriga the first

The elf walks alongside Dovax, also with his hands up, while whispering a warning. "Be ready to run. Even I'll admit this is a gamble."

Putting on his best disaffected accent, Valistriga walks toward the ringleader of the little group and works his magic.

"Charmed to see you on this fine evening. Would you kindly leave those men alone?"

Charm on the most senior/leader looking of the bandits, and then ask him to ask his friends to stand down.

Well, here we go!

thirdkingdom
2014-07-21, 08:30 PM
Outside the Vaults

Dovax and Valistriga boldly stride forth from the Vaults of Demonic Ruin. Whatever gods exist in this land must be smiling upon them, for they are able to approach within range of their Dovax's spell of sorcerous somnolence. The brigands have only the opportunity to cast about in surprise before the puissant enchantment falls upon them and they, to a man, slump to the ground in slumber.

I'm also, BTW, not cool with torture. Just FYI.

Surprise (1-3 on 1d6): (1d6=2, 1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4579791/) I gave you guys an increased chance to surprise due to the both the distance and the fact that the brigands are distracted. It take two rounds of walking to get within range of Sleep. There are ten brigands. Number of brigands put to sleep: (2d8=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4579793/)

Damn. You got lucky.

Surgate
2014-07-21, 08:37 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"Sorry I couldn't help myself, they deserve to be punished."
Dovax approached, picking up the closest dagger or short sword and promptly kills whoever is closest to him, intending to finish them off one at a time till all the brigands were dead. "Quite a bit of loot I imagine, check on the hirelings please." He looked for Jaceo intending to kill him next.

Elbeyon
2014-07-21, 08:51 PM
Emily Hayden

Looking out from the progress she's made on sneaking away, she mutters to herself. Emily breaks her hiding and starts moving back towards the group and to her downed ally.

Mordae
2014-07-21, 08:58 PM
Eric the Green

Eric follows the wizard and elf at a distance, and as soon as it is safe to do so he hastens to the scene to see if the downed footman still lives. If so, and mere bandaging is insufficient to restore him to consciousness, he expends his sole cure light wounds to save the fellow.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-21, 10:41 PM
Gurni

The dwarf approaches from behind the warlock shield and javelin out, looking out to where the brigands may have came from for any movement. "Fine work Dovax, but now we have a heap of bodies to get rid of, and I suspect these one's people will be coming by looking for them when they don't return.

Perhaps it's time to call a retreat for now, get our man buried proper, sell off what these men had on them, and wait for these thieves to move on?"

Doorhandle
2014-07-21, 11:31 PM
Valistriga the First

The elf visibly flinched whenever one of the bandit's throats were cut. It just didn't seem right, but he wasn't willing to take two gambles today. A little cowardice went a long way.

He then turned to the dwarf. "Perhaps, but I would rather avoid spending time ferrying their equipment back and forth. Besides, I do have an idea for these bodies. Would anyone be against using them to plug the pit traps on the way in?"

He then turns to the sleeping body of Jaceo. "Keep this one alive though. If I can charm him we might be able to learn something from him."

Surgate
2014-07-22, 12:03 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax moved away from the ringleader, choosing another bandit to slay whilst nodding approvingly at Val's suggestions.

"Well, depending on how much we find off them, going back inside the vaults for the shiny stuff might make our trip home all the more lucrative."

Elbeyon
2014-07-22, 01:19 AM
Emily Hayden

Noting Eric's presence at the body Emily will leave him to his work. Emily joins in on the conversation a little late, "Valistriga, my father always said: if you're going to use a corpse don't leave it lying around. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean tossing them into a traps. And: If your not going to use a corpse make sure to dispose of it properly. We always burned the dead or dismembered them if we had no other choice. It won't really help us out, probably, but it's best to follow proper corpse edict."

She'll approach the remaining hired hand, looking him over, calming him if he appears to need it, and ask him what happened here.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-22, 03:52 AM
Both hirelings prove to be alive, and are extremely grateful at being rescued. "They came out of nowhere," Laco explains, "and knocked Suroy out cold before we could do anything. Seems they had listened to your talk of the Vaults, and decided the thing to do was lay in wait for your return -- provided you came out alive, that is -- then relieve you of any gold and gems you might have discovered."

The brigands, it turns out, are as poor as they look. They have a score or so coppers between them, and even their weapons are in sorry condition from exposure to the elements.

Surgate
2014-07-22, 03:47 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

The blue-clad warlock continues his grim task, grasping the dire desperation of the brigands but unable to offer any sympathy for their plight. He decides to keep the short sword/dagger he found as a trophy, finishing off each one until Jaceo was the last. "He may not know much considering his position, but he may prove useful nonetheless inside the vaults" Already Dovax was imagining how far Val's charm could work in their favor.

Doorhandle
2014-07-22, 04:30 PM
Emily Hayden

Noting Eric's presence at the body Emily will leave him to his work. Emily joins in on the conversation a little late, "Valistriga, my father always said: if you're going to use a corpse don't leave it lying around. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean tossing them into a traps. And: If your not going to use a corpse make sure to dispose of it properly. We always burned the dead or dismembered them if we had no other choice. It won't really help us out, probably, but it's best to follow proper corpse edict."

She'll approach the remaining hired hand, looking him over, calming him if he appears to need it, and ask him what happened here.

Valistriga the first

The elf rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "Not that bad of an idea, actually. God knows there's enough undead in the world."

"We'll build a pyre. I'll take this Jaceo aside and see what we can learn."

Valistriga takes the time to tie the ringleader up in rope, before moving him beside the vaults and gently shaking him awake, before casting charm on him.

"So, my good man... are you hungry for gold?"

Elbeyon
2014-07-22, 05:14 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily gives a simple nod in reply. "We'll manage some type of fire."

She'll take her turn to check on Suroy and see how he's holding up, trying to reassure him with a couple words. In front of Laco she lets out a "dam" and regretfully says, "I thought I could dissuade them from a further course of action by striking at their greed. Even knowing we had no more coin than them, they were desperate enough to play their luck at catching us successful and off guard.

I'm glad you have both escaped unharmed from any serious physical injury. Next chance we get we will provide you with some whistles and the proper sounds to call us back to camp."

Emily will keep talking with the npcs if they seem to want to keep talking. She just wanted to check on them farther and to tell them they'll to prevent this sort of thing from happening again. Morale is important!

thirdkingdom
2014-07-22, 07:24 PM
Jaceo is securely bound and slapped awake. The spell of friendship is cast, and the brigand's eyes look glassy and unfocused for an instant, before, with a shake of his head, the burly man spits on the ground at the feet of the adventurers. "Dammit man, why'd you have to kill them all? They're just poor folk, can't find no work to live on."

If you would like to take short bows/crossbow/short swords to use go for it. Just edit your sheets appropriately.

Doorhandle
2014-07-22, 08:24 PM
Valistriga the first

"Why did you have them attack our retainers? There were certainly enough of you to assault the vault yourselves if you saw it fit. You took your chance, we took ours, luck favoured us. Plus, if you were willing to attack the people you ate with earlier, they would be willing to attack us again as soon as they woke up"

The elf straightens up a little before leaning down over Jaceo again.

"Still. Their deaths need not to be in vain. Would you kindly tell them about...everything? How many people are or were in your gang, where the rest of them are, what you know about the vaults, what tragedy befell the lands for them to fall so low. The usual."

I have a bow, But I will take a short sword because damage typing. Also maybe a few more arrows.

Surgate
2014-07-22, 08:37 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax cleaned the short sword and returned it to it's scabbard which hung comfortably on the warlocks's belt. He said nothing, agreeing with Val's response. And ignored the display of disdain.The grim look chiseled in his visage remained partially veiled, for he despised betrayers of good will and those who prey on others without provocation.

asnys
2014-07-22, 10:57 PM
Jahn the Quick

Keeping half an eye on the interrogation going on, Jahn picks the most reliable looking of the would-be bandits' crossbows and a good 20 quarrels, then helps stack the bodies for disposal.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-23, 10:22 AM
Jaceo

The brigands shrugs. "I already told you everything I know about the place; we figured that it'd be a hell of a lot safer waiting for you to stumble out into the light, wounded, out of spells and laden with gold and jewels. We wasn't going to kill you, I swear it! Just . . . put forward a forceful argument for wealth distribution."

Mordae
2014-07-23, 10:34 AM
Eric the Green

While Valistriga questions the bandit leader, Eric takes up on of the short swords and begins carrying out Emily's instructions, dragging off the bodies to the other side of the hill and readying them to be burned. This sort of work reminds him of the sacrificial altar of the All-Father, though it was always animals, never humans. With the help of Jahn, the work goes quickly enough, and once the reeking smoke is rising high above the plain, Eric rejoins the rest of the group.

Surgate
2014-07-23, 12:49 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax leaned over to Val and spoke in a whisper. "Mayhap we force our own wealth distribution instead. Emily or myself may give the charm a try after some rest, and see what we can make him do for us, at the very cheap discount of free"

Yet the warlock appears to rethink the situation, stepping behind Jaceo with his hand resting on the pommel of the short sword. He presses a single finger against his lips, asking Val to not alert Jaceo to his fate, and slowly draws the blade, ready to execute Jaceo when Val was done speaking with him.

Elbeyon
2014-07-23, 01:17 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily will close off whatever conversation she has going to help move the bodies. Her aid is a little awkward given the heavy load, but she tries to make the best of the situation and tries not to frustrate Jahn or Eric.

Somewhere in there all the new comers got short bows. It's already on their sheets.

Elbeyon
2014-07-23, 03:26 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily catches wind of what's going down and leaves the bodies alone for now to make over the to investigating group. The quick update is all of what she expected, typical stuff really. She looks down at Jaceo and with all the oratory skills she can muster says, "No one is the villain of their own story. You had no choice you say; desperate times gave rise to desperate measures." In harsher tones than before, "You made your choice. No one forced you to pick up the sword and steal others livelihoods. You spent more gold than most people have to buy tools for killing, but you had no intention of ever using them? You're a fool and a lair! You're pitiable justice is only visible to you, a unrepentant man begging for his life now that he's been caught for his evil deeds."

Doorhandle
2014-07-23, 06:57 PM
Jaceo

The brigands shrugs. "I already told you everything I know about the place; we figured that it'd be a hell of a lot safer waiting for you to stumble out into the light, wounded, out of spells and laden with gold and jewels. We wasn't going to kill you, I swear it! Just . . . put forward a forceful argument for wealth distribution."

Valistriga the first

"Wealth we would have fought to the death to gain, and fought to the death to protect. Besides, that still leaves the issue of whether there is anyone else in your gang, or if you're even the ringleader of your little group... Is there anyone else?"

Surgate
2014-07-23, 07:31 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Regardless of Jaceo's intended response, Dovax ends the brigand's life with a quick thrust of his blade. "No telling if he spoke truth...but he did seem distraught over us killing all his lackeys. I doubt he had more men at his disposal, not that he would tell us truthfully either way". Dovax once again cleaned his blade, checking the dead leader for anything valuable before dragging his body to the burning pyre, ready to top it off and burn away both bodies and thoughts of the unlucky band of bandits.

He turns from the fire and addresses his companions in somber tone. "Shall we return to the prior task of raiding the vaults?"

asnys
2014-07-23, 08:00 PM
Jahn the Quick

Are the hirelings in condition to watch the horses?

thirdkingdom
2014-07-23, 08:12 PM
Jahn the Quick

Are the hirelings in condition to watch the horses?

They're jumpy, but actually haven't suffered any damage. The brigands were looking to subdue.

asnys
2014-07-23, 08:26 PM
Jahn the Quick

"I'm for it," Jahn says. "I'd like to risk our lives with some chance of gain, rather then merely avoiding loss. And I like the look of that eastern archway."

Elbeyon
2014-07-23, 09:02 PM
Emily Hayden

Masking her noise from the burning human flesh Emily has no kind words to give to the departing men. If Eric doesn't preform a ceremony Emily will say a mage's prayer she's learned to help prevent undead.

"Ya, let us just peek into the two front rooms we have cleared and move on with our plans. It would be a bad first day if we ended things here."

They're jumpy, but actually haven't suffered any damage. The brigands were looking to subdue.

They could always come with us into the dungeon if that'd make them feel safer. :smallbiggrin:

Hm, still jumpy. Emily will show them how to whistle to call for the group's aid. They could practice while we're gone.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-23, 10:36 PM
Gurni
"Alright, let's see what these vaults have for us besides pots an' robbers." Gurni drew his axe once again and waited for the others to get into formation before heading back in making sure to mind the pit trap.

Doorhandle
2014-07-23, 11:15 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Regardless of Jaceo's intended response, Dovax ends the brigand's life with a quick thrust of his blade. "No telling if he spoke truth...but he did seem distraught over us killing all his lackeys. I doubt he had more men at his disposal, not that he would tell us truthfully either way". Dovax once again cleaned his blade, checking the dead leader for anything valuable before dragging his body to the burning pyre, ready to top it off and burn away both bodies and thoughts of the unlucky band of bandits.

He turns from the fire and addresses his companions in somber tone. "Shall we return to the prior task of raiding the vaults?"

Valistriga the First

The elf gives the warlock a dirty look. " Hey, I was talking to that!"

He sighs, and then follows the rest of the groups lead.

Surgate
2014-07-23, 11:39 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

The warlock pats Val on the shoulder, shaking his head. "Like I said, anything he conveyed wouldn't have helped us. Just let it go friend, and let the tragedy of their misfortune burn with the pyre"

Dovax turned away and prepared to re-enter the vaults, lighting another torch once they entered.

Elbeyon
2014-07-24, 12:11 AM
Emily Hayden

"Gurni, you could leave your new pot here, at camp."

Heading back towards the Vaults of Demonic Ruin for the second time today, Emily reiterates, "We should have a peek into the rooms again before we really get started. Our unknown opponents might have shifted while we were gone. Besides that, I really want that shiny stuff under that obviously rigged chandler. Ya, I'd be up for moving around, checking that eastern room for traps, a way to secure that chandler, and claiming whatever prize awaits us on that chair. I do not imagine it would be worth too much if it is just bait though..."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-24, 04:49 AM
Six turns elapsed

The adventurers light a new torch and return to the entrance hall. Nothing has changed from when they were last here. The golden chunks still wink enticingly from where they sit atop the chair.

Both the elf and thief Hear Noise on 1-2 on 1d6. The elf's chances remain the same, Jahn's will increase with level.

Mordae
2014-07-24, 08:15 AM
Eric the Green

The dark-skinned priest eyes the chair speculatively. "Throw a rock at it? Or poke it with a long stick" he suggests, a hint of tentative defensiveness in his voice.

Elbeyon
2014-07-24, 11:40 AM
Emily Hayden

"Um, I say we check out the room first, try to find a way to disable it proper, and then try to poke it with a long stick if all else fails. It's going to make a decent amount of noise if it falls. I'm more worried about that than how hard it will be to retrieve the shiny stuff."

Surgate
2014-07-24, 12:30 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"Aye, tis the noise that will prove more troublesome than the trap itself. I concur with Emily"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-24, 02:39 PM
Seven turns elapsed

The adventurers cautiously advance into the room. A thorough search is conducted; nothing untoward is found. Indeed, the room appears to be completely empty. Jahn examines both chair and chandelier. Neither appears to be trapped. Placed on the chair are two nuggets of what looks to be pure gold. He estimates their value at 80 gold apiece. The chair is eventually prodded, gently at first, then harder. It falls with a clatter, the gold thunks on the ground.

Nothing else happens.

The two chunks of gold ore weigh 10 cn apiece.

Surgate
2014-07-24, 02:46 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax picks up one of the gold nuggets and pockets it, leaving the other for whoever wanted it. "Wonder who left these nugs, shall we check the other archway and those boxes?"

Mordae
2014-07-24, 03:03 PM
Eric the Green

Eric nods to the wizard's suggestion. "Indeed. Then there is the matter of the side doors." He gives the nugget a glance but allows it to be pocketed by someone else, the weight of his own burden being just noticeable enough to be uncomfortable but not yet slowing.

Elbeyon
2014-07-24, 03:22 PM
Emily Hayden

"Is someone messing with us? Who would leave gold like this? Maybe it is a costly intruder detector?"

Emily will grab the remaining nugget and on the way out she gently shakes her head as if she's physically clearing out of any confusion. Focusing back at the task at hand she says, "I like a good mystery box ... or barrel. I'll just be glad to finally check those items. They've been irking me in a bad way for a while."

Doorhandle
2014-07-24, 06:31 PM
Valistriga the first

The elf keeps his eyes on the chandelier, even as he stoops down to pocket a nugget.

"...This is way too convenient. I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I would feel better if we could lower the chandelier...
Besides, it might be valuable!"

" Still, are were other matters to attend to." The elf slowly went over to the leftmost side door, making sure to listen at it briefly.

"Where are we investigating next?"

Listening from the base of the door, not from the door handle. A

thirdkingdom
2014-07-24, 06:33 PM
Valistriga stoops and listens, but hears nothing.

Hear Noise 1-2 on 1d6: (1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4583644/)

Elbeyon
2014-07-24, 08:03 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily hms. "It is pretty weird, huh? I wouldn't mind investigating the chandelier farther by taking it down. Along with checking the fireplace."

"I'd still like to search the western archway room first though. All the rooms in this area would be all clear after that. Which is a pretty big achievement," she says with a smile.

How tall are the archway rooms?

I'm fine with Valistriga grabbing the second nugget. I hadn't added it to my character sheet yet anyway.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-24, 08:10 PM
Emily stands on the chair and examines the chandelier. It is rusty and gilt in peeling gold paint. It looks worthless.

asnys
2014-07-25, 12:06 AM
Jahn the Quick

"'tis a mystery. But the longer we search, the more likely the kobolds will find us before we find them. I think we should head for the western archway."

Surgate
2014-07-25, 12:23 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

"Aye, I'm eager to see what's hidden in those boxes, but with due caution, no sense rushing into an unforeseen obstacle. The western archway it is"

Elbeyon
2014-07-25, 12:40 AM
Emily Hayden

"Why do we think this place has kobolds again? I remember ghouls, ghosts, and undead mentioned and very vaguely remember kobolds."

I still agree with everyone else on going to that western archway.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-25, 04:41 AM
The Vault of Demonic Ruin
Eight turns elapsed

The adventurers cross the entry hall and stand before the western arch. Peering in, they note that nothing has changed; crates, barrels, pallets and boxes fill the room, some stacked as a high as a person, with narrow passages between. Nothing can be heard coming from within.

Wandering Monster (1 on 1d6): (1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4584247/)
Hear Noise (1-2 on 1d6): (1d6=3, 1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4584248/)

Surgate
2014-07-25, 01:16 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Holding the torch, it's flickering glow illuminates Dovax's stern expression. "Our line of sight is obscured, just because we don't see anything yet doesn't mean there isn't something foul hidden here. Might I suggest approaching this room in proper combat formation, in case we are in for a surprise"

Mordae
2014-07-25, 01:26 PM
Eric the Green

Nodding to Dovax's warning, Eric steps to the back, ready to protect the flank in case the threat emerges from the other two doors. "I trust your cautious judgment." The young priest unlimbers his flail and gives the stacks of boxes a closer look from the safety of the archway.

Elbeyon
2014-07-25, 01:33 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily stays silent for a few moments. "... Ya, OK. Let's clear the room and then search. Hopefully the danger is outside of the boxes and not inside."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-25, 03:42 PM
Although his experience with box, barrel, crate and chest-like creatures is rather limited, Eric is of the opinion that the various containers in this room are of the non-threatening variety.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-25, 07:02 PM
Nine turns elapsed

The adventurers search the room. It is the identical size as the opposite room, though there is very little available floor space. They search the room as best as possible, but find no visible threats.

Surgate
2014-07-25, 07:28 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

The blue warlock relaxed a little. "Never hurts to be over cautious. I'm curious what is in all these containers. Anyone care to volunteer to check some before we rest again?" Dovax holds the torch higher, its glow dimming with time and use.

Elbeyon
2014-07-25, 07:44 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily's anxiety settled very little after any visible threat had been dismissed. So many portals still surrounded them. She answered her fellow mage with a, "Jahn? He could go about searching for traps and opening as many as possible while the rest of us sift through the contents."

"Assuming everything goes well we will only be able to check half the room before we rest. Should we rest by the fireplace again?"

Rest turn is twelve.

Doorhandle
2014-07-25, 08:01 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

The blue warlock relaxed a little. "Never hurts to be over cautious. I'm curious what is in all these containers. Anyone care to volunteer to check some before we rest again?" Dovax holds the torch higher, its glow dimming with time and use.

Valistriga the first
"I will be happy to. Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Valistriga takes his crowbar from his backpack and begins working on the nearest box.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-26, 05:56 AM
Bravely, Valistriga pries the lid off a nearby crate. A figure unfolds itself from within and rises, leering at the elf with evil eyes! The creature looks to be a zombie; dead flesh hangs off its bones in flaps and it moves slowly, stiffly. An instant later, the lids fly off six more nearby crates, and more zombies arise!

Actions, please. Due to the tight quarters of this room, only two people will be able to attack one zombie at a time.

Surgate
2014-07-26, 12:52 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax mumbles a curse beneath his breath, and then calls out to his companions. "We are much faster than these walking dead, make for the exit!" The warlock doesn't try and engage the enemy, instead hoping he can outrun them into the main chamber, and then careful to mind the pit traps as he goes through the open doors and passes them.

Elbeyon
2014-07-26, 02:49 PM
Emily Hayden

"Heel Wart!"

Emily starts running as well. "Everyone get out of their sight, around the corner. Their creator may have only commanded them to guard the storeroom."

Actions:
Emily and Wart are running away.

Doorhandle
2014-07-26, 08:26 PM
Valistriga the First

It takes all of his willpower to prevent himself from whacking the zombie with a crowbar in surprise, but Valistriga successfully withdraws past the doors and the pit traps, next to the Leper warlock.

He then takes out his bow. "Can we test if they will stay in that warehouse? If we can clear them from here, we should. Don't want to flee back through zombies later, after all."

"Plus, Last time I checked, zombies are terrible at jumping over pits..."

Mordae
2014-07-26, 08:35 PM
Eric the Green

Spying the zombies, the young priest's blood runs cold. He had heard tales of these fell creatures of the darkness, but never had he actually seen decaying bodies walk on their own. Reaching up to his throat, he grasped the leather thong securing the sun symbol of the All-Father, about to withdraw it until Emily command the retreat. Loosing his grip, he steps quickly backward to allow the others to retreat from the packed chamber before joining them in the entry hall.

"If they pursue, I can attempt to drive them off." He sounds dubious, his voice betraying his lack of experience.

Surgate
2014-07-26, 09:00 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax strokes his scarred chin and chuckles, "Aye Val by all means. No sense wasting walking target practice"

Dovax offers Eric a word of encouragement. "Your help and the All Fathers will be paramount to our survival here, let us pick them off at range and save your special talents if they break through and get too close."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-26, 09:03 PM
Okay, according to p. 52 of the rulebook monsters pursue on a roll of 7-12 using 2d6: 2d6=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4585926/)

I'm going to say that the PCs effectively have a 20' lead on the zombies. Hmmm. I am not seeing movement rates for everyone. Guys, make sure to keep a total of encumbrance and movement on your character sheets. I would suggest using a format like this, above or below the spoilered sheet:
Kit Encumbrance:
Carried Treasure:
Total Encumbrance:
Movement:

Anyway, looking over the sheets it appears that the slowest moving character is Gurni movement rate is 30/10/30. Even though zombies are last to act, they still move at 120/40/120, so are fast enough to catch the dwarf at the end of the first round.

Zombie hit points: (2d8=4, 2d8=8, 2d8=8, 2d8=9, 2d8=10, 2d8=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4585934/)
Well, you guys got lucky there.
Attacks against Gurni: 1d20=15, 1d8=4, 1d20=2, 1d8=8, 1d20=15, 1d8=1, 1d20=17, 1d8=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4585937/) One attack hits, for 3 damage.
Gurni turns to attack:1d20+1=9, 1d6+1=3, 1d4=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4585940/)

I'm going to say that only four zombies can attack him at once; the others are going to continue to chase the party. Amusingly, it seems like Jahn is the next slowest.

Round One

A quick calculation suggests the party would be better off fleeing, so as one they turn tail and hie towards the entrance. There is an awful crashing sound from the room as six zombies tear themselves free from the crates in which they had been stored, lo these many years, and shamble after the fleeing adventurers. Gurni, as loaded down as he is, moves the slowest, and before he can trot thirty feet is surrounded by four of the undead monstrosities; they flail at him with jagged claws, and the doughty dwarf is able to evade all but one. Luckily, he is a stout exemplar of his race, and a blow that might kill a human or elf is a minor scratch to him. He swings with his hand axe but is unable to land a telling blow. Two of the zombies hobble with preternatural swiftness past the bedeviled dwarf, giving chase to those lagging behind.

Actions for Round Two, please. Note that dropping one's pack to move more quickly is totally acceptable and can be done the same round you move.

Surgate
2014-07-26, 10:39 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

His heart is thumping faster, and the blue warlock would have stopped to help Gurni if it wasn't suicide to do so. He wanted to move as quick as he could towards the exit but slow enough to ensure he could zig-zag across the pit traps and use them to his advantage. Getting his sling ready to pelt the zombies from a short, easy to aim distance. He trusted in his allies judgment, focusing on what he could do to stay alive and turn the tables against these corpses.

Elbeyon
2014-07-26, 11:53 PM
Emily Hayden

"What are you carrying Guni? Drop it and let's go!" Perhaps the last time she'll ever see Guni alive, Emily slips through the large doors after Dovax. A Zig-zag and she finds herself positioning herself behind Damar loading her sling in hopes of firing it off soon.

Actions: Emily and Wart will move through the trapped entrance and a bit more to position herself behind Damar.

I didn't realize Guni was triple encumbered (maximum). If he was carrying ~3 pounds less his movement speed would be doubled and have been enough.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-27, 12:41 AM
Gurni Drofulson

Gurni cursed as one of the zombies clubbed him it's decayed fist noticing his comrades had run off and left him alone the dwarf decided to retreat as well slipping off his pack and making a run for the exit zig zagging through the pit traps.

Doorhandle
2014-07-27, 02:32 AM
Valistriga the First

The elf cursed under his breath as the undead gave chase. So much for target practice.

He continued to move along, sidestepping the traps, but not without pausing briefly to eliminate one of his pursuers...

I'm not going to hide in the corner just yet: I'll move as far back as I can without triggering a trap or exiting line of effect with the zombies.

Taking a shot with my bow at the zombie closest to me: I'd hit one of the ones surrounding our bedeviled dwarf, but I'd probably just end up hitting him.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-28, 04:46 AM
Looks like we're still waiting on a couple more actions. Given that we're just leaving the weekend, I'll give it 'til this evening before updating.

Mordae
2014-07-28, 09:45 AM
Eric the Green

Eric winces visibly as Gurni is pounded from behind, but the stout dwarf doesn't go down. If the zombies continue to stay within fighting range of the fleeing warrior, Eric makes ready to step forward and drive them off in the blessed name of the All-Father.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-28, 05:08 PM
Round Two

we haven't heard from asnys about what Jahn is going to do, and I hate to kill PCs without giving the player a chance to weigh in, so we're going to assume that Jahn drops his pack as well and makes for the door.
Zombie hit points: (2d8=4, 2d8=8, 2d8=8, 2d8=9, 2d8=10, 2d8=3)
You know what, we're going to do group initiative. Since zombie always attack last we don't need to roll.
Eric:Turn Undead (9 or better succeeds), followed by total hit dice turned: (2d6=2, 2d6=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4587677/)
Emily:1d20+1=9, 1d4=3, 1d2=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4587681/)
Dovax: 1d20=14, 1d4=4, 1d2=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4587683/)
Valistriga:1d20=16, 1d6=3, 1d2=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4587685/)

Zombies falling into pit traps (1-4 on 1d6): (1d6=5, 1d6=4, 1d6=3, 1d6=6, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4587694/)

Zombie attack: 1d20=1, 1d8=4, 1d6=4, 1d20=5, 1d8=7, 1d6=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4587701/)

Whilst Gurni and Jahn shrug off their packs and race for the exit, those with missile weapons fire them off; Valistriga and Dovax both hit the same zombie with their respective missiles. The combined damage is enough to drive forth the spirit animating the corpse, and it collapses into a shapeless heap of decayed flesh. The other five shamble with preternatural speed after the companions. Eric steps forward and presents his holy symbol. But either his god is far away, or the evil spirits in the Vaults especially strong, for his spirit quails and as he feels their malevolent presence.

Luckily for the adventurers, zombies are far from the most intelligent of monsters, and in pursuing the companions they manage to trigger the pit traps that lie before the doors. Three plummet down, whilst the remaining two leap awkwardly over the chasms beneath them. They land clumsily, however, and Gurni is able to dodge their attacks.

I'd like to shoot for a 24 hour turn-around for actions, please.

Elbeyon
2014-07-28, 05:17 PM
How deep do the pits look? Does it look like the zombies might be able to get out?

Surgate
2014-07-28, 05:21 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Watching the zombie crumble beneath Val's and his combined attack, and the majority of the others fall into the pit inspired a flicker of renewed hope in the warlock, "Fantastic! We can handle what's left of these rotting guardians now!" Dovax readies another bullet for his sling, encouraging his companions to stand and fight the remaining undead. His bright blue eyes narrow, aiming the shot as he pulls back, hoping his next strike lands true.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-28, 07:22 PM
How deep do the pits look? Does it look like the zombies might be able to get out?

Do you want to take your attention off the two remaining zombies to look in?

thirdkingdom
2014-07-28, 07:26 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Watching the zombie crumble beneath Val's and his combined attack, and the majority of the others fall into the pit inspired a flicker of renewed hope in the warlock, "Fantastic! We can handle what's left of these rotting guardians now!" Dovax readies another bullet for his sling, encouraging his companions to stand and fight the remaining undead. His bright blue eyes narrow, aiming the shot as he pulls back, hoping his next strike lands true.

Both zombies are currently in melee with party members. I will allow missile fire into melee, but use the following rule:
1.Roll out all the fire directed into a melee.
2.Those that hit deal damage to the target normally.
3.For each one that misses, roll an attack against a random participant of the melee using the Level 0/Man at Arms column.

Elbeyon
2014-07-28, 07:56 PM
Do you want to take your attention off the two remaining zombies to look in?

No, I'll take my character's best guess on the drop distance if she has one. Emily's guess would probably be based on how long it took for a bodies worth of weight to make a landing noise (and how loud they smacked the ground).

Surgate
2014-07-28, 08:06 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax does not fire into melee, putting away his sling and instead draws the short sword at his hip, prepared to use it if he must, taking a few more steps back.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-28, 08:23 PM
No, I'll take my character's best guess on the drop distance if she has one. Emily's guess would probably be based on how long it took for a bodies worth of weight to make a landing noise (and how loud they smacked the ground).

They sound deepish.

Elbeyon
2014-07-28, 09:50 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily Shouts, "Get 'em Wart! Damar you are doing good. If you can, try to knock one of them into a pit."

Then Emily backs off of the melee fight another thirty feet, out onto the route they followed up to the dungeon, and starts to cast her magical missile at the weakest zombie engaged in melee combat. A couple of arcane syllables drop out of her mouth, and a gesturing hand attempt to end the zombie with a dark bolt of energy.

Wart will move and attack one of the zombies.
Damar might try to push a zombie into a pit? Don't ask me what he actually does.
Emily will move out of the melee skirmish and provide ranged support in the form of magic missile.

Doorhandle
2014-07-28, 11:26 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily Shouts, "Get 'em Wart! Damar you are doing good. If you can, try to knock one of them into a pit."

Then Emily backs off of the melee fight another thirty feet, out onto the route they followed up to the dungeon, and starts to cast her magical missile at the weakest zombie engaged in melee combat. A couple of arcane syllables drop out of her mouth, and a gesturing hand attempt to end the zombie with a dark bolt of energy.

Wart will move and attack one of the zombies.
Damar might try to push a zombie into a pit? Don't ask me what he actually does.
Emily will move out of the melee skirmish and provide ranged support in the form of magic missile.

Valistriga the First

The elf whips out his newly-acquired shortsword and slides behind the other zombie, attempting to gut it.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-28, 11:47 PM
Gurni Drofulson

Hearing the pit traps trigger the dwarf looks over his shoulder just in time to see another set of decayed meaty fists swing at his head, getting his shield up just in time Gurni manages to barely defend himself before retaliating with a blow of his own. "Feel the bite of mighty dwarvish steel you abominations, Zank Un Naggrund!"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-29, 05:09 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax does not fire into melee, putting away his sling and instead draws the short sword at his hip, prepared to use it if he must, taking a few more steps back.

You know, I totally missed this. Sorry, but Magic-users can't use short swords. The text is pretty vague about what they can use, but we're going to assume it is similar to BECMI or RC (daggers, staves, slngs, whips and nets)

thirdkingdom
2014-07-29, 05:19 AM
Round Three

Elbeyon, can you add Damar to your character sheet (or to the post, in his own spoiler)? I can't seem to find his stats OOC.

Zombie hit points: 4-1, 10
Damar: 1d20=10, 1d8=8, 1d2=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588273/)
Dovax:
Emily:1d6+1=3, 1d2=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588270/)
Eric: 1d20-1=0, 1d6-1=2, 1d2=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588277/)
Gurni: 1d20+1=17, 1d6+1=4, 1d2=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588274/)
Valistriga: 1d20=7, 1d6=2, 1d2=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588275/)
Wart: 1d20=7, 1d4=4, 1d2=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588279/)

Zombies: 1d20=7, 1d8=2, 1d6=4, 1d20=18, 1d8=4, 1d6=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4588280/)
Damar is hit for 4 hp, and is currently at 4/8.

The adventurers encircle the remaining two zombies and hack, slash and thrust with their various weapons. Gurni severs an arm with a well-timed axe swing, and as the zombie moves to grapple the doughty dwarf Emily sends an unerring missile of magic to slam into the zombie's back. It collapses as Gurni dodge's its attack. The other adventurers are not so lucky, and manage not a scratch against the sole remaining undead. Wart dodges in to worry at a rotted leg, but the zombie kicks the dog away; Damar is dealt a blow to the chest that leaves him reeling.

Mordae
2014-07-29, 06:47 AM
Eric the Green

Muttering about his lack of faith, Eric takes to the more mundane measure and brings his flail again to bear on the putrid mass of animate flesh. Deep down, he feels the gnawing of fear that unless the beast is put down, one of his companions will never see beyond the confines of the entrance hall, and he privately gives thanks that their horse-watchers were not injured sufficiently to require his sole healing magic for the day be expended.

Surgate
2014-07-29, 11:26 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Clutching his quarterstaff, Dovax smirks at the demise of one of the last zombies, but a hint of uncertainty tainted the gesture, for Damar took a blow that would have likely killed a more fragile human such as himself. He watches the struggle, unable to contribute, but confident his companions would vanquish their remaining enemy.

Elbeyon
2014-07-29, 01:34 PM
Emily Hayden

A zombie falls, another surrounded, Emily loads a smooth stone into her sling and gives it a twirl, but never releases it toward her companions. She shouts at no one in particular, "Redirect the creatures focus off of Damar!"

Damar has his own character sheet now. Showing that he has an impressive 13 str and +1/+1 to hit/damage. Turning that 10 attack into an 11 (which might be an actual hit for 9 damage). I might have also made up some stuff about him and given him a picture...

asnys
2014-07-29, 05:27 PM
Jahn the Quick

Jahn hangs back, dagger in hand, looking for a chance to throw without risking hitting one of his compatriots.

Which he isn't going to get, I know, but it sounded better then "does nothing".

I'm back. Still don't have internet, but I should be able to manage one post a day.

Doorhandle
2014-07-29, 06:26 PM
Valistriga the First

Frustrated at his lack of progress, Valistriga tries to hack away at the nearest zombie.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-29, 11:18 PM
Gurni

The dwarf redoubles his efforts and takes another mighty swing at the injured zombie.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 05:38 AM
Round Four

Zombie hp: 10
Damar:1d20+1=12, 1d8+1=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4589229/) You are correct, Elbeyon. Taking into account the +1 from Strength, Damar would have hit the zombie last round as well. I will retcon that in.
Dovax:
Emily:
Eric: 1d20-1=0, 1d6-1=2, 1d2=1
Gurni: 1d20+1=17, 1d6+1=4, 1d2=1
Valistriga: 1d20=7, 1d6=2, 1d2=2
Wart: 1d20=7, 1d4=4, 1d2=1

With a mighty swing of his blade, Damar clefts the remaining zombie in twain. All is silent on the field of battle, except for scrabbling sounds coming from within the two pits.

Doorhandle
2014-07-30, 06:13 AM
Valistriga the First

Without missing a beat, Valistriga shoves the body atop the zombie waiting in the pit.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 06:51 AM
The pits are both about ten feet deep. Looking in, it is apparent that the zombies should not be able to escape on their own recognizance. Those three still animated are scrabbling at the walls with hardened nails, but show no progress towards escaping.

Mordae
2014-07-30, 06:59 AM
Eric the Green

Feeling a wave of exhaustion sweep over his tired muscles, the young priest looks to his companions. "I think I should take a look at your wounds. These walking dead may leave their mark." Taking a minute or so to bind up the bleeding on Gurni, Eric then casts Cure Light Wounds on the more gravely injured Damar.

"While it may not yet be time to rest for the night, I have no more mystic healing to give today."

asnys
2014-07-30, 10:45 AM
Jahn the Quick

"I'd like to check the contents of those crates, see if there was anything besides horrors in them. But, after that, it might be well to rest."

Surgate
2014-07-30, 11:22 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Breathing a sigh of relief, Dovax nods. "Aye, they were obviously guarding something. Well done everyone"

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 11:41 AM
Rolled on my phone. Damar is healed for 3 hp.

Elbeyon
2014-07-30, 01:24 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily rests her sling stone back into her pouch and runs back to the group and listens. "Yes, good work everyone. Good work Damar. Thank you, Eric."

"Good call on the retreat Dovax. You are as quick to act whether its running towards your foes or away from them, whichever you believe is the right choice." Almost begrudgingly she admits, "I may have been too ... aggressive in my words earlier. Let's call today's earlier disagreement just that; a disagreement over one important choice and nothing longer lasting."

She knees down. "I need to better short what I am carrying. I realized I carry my life with my material possessions. I could not drop one without the other. Give me a minute to sort that out. In the mean time, aren't we going to help those trapped souls move on? As good as a trap as they are, they seem like a hazard to to us as well as our enemies."

Mordae
2014-07-30, 01:38 PM
Eric the Green

Eric runs one hand over his shaved head and looks down into the pit. "I think I can hit them in the head with my flail, if they stand still long enough." He takes an experimental swing at the nearest.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 01:38 PM
Ha! I must admit that I'm waiting with bated breath for y'all to stagger out of the dungeon, wounded, out of spells and laden with treasure, only to neglect to mention that you're avoiding the pit traps and fall into the zombie infested hole.

Elbeyon
2014-07-30, 02:15 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily continues sorting her equipment, moving this and that around her body. "I still have sling stones if you are out and need them. I even left a couple around here somewhere..."

I'm not carrying everything in my backpack anymore! Wooo.

Mordae
2014-07-30, 02:23 PM
Eric the Green

"If you are carrying things back to the camp, I have extra rations in my pack that should not be needed below." The priest grunts as he tries to line up the perfect headshot on the trapped zombie in the pit below.

Elbeyon
2014-07-30, 02:42 PM
Emily Hayden

"I was not planning on it, but that sounds like a good idea. Maybe we should all reorganize before we venture back in? I'd like to burn these bodies, and Guni seems to be packing a lot of weight and carrying even more. He was moving so slow I wasn't sure he was going to escape the literal clutches of death." She looks at the dwarf with a wry grin.

Falling into zombie pits would be a pretty bad way to die. And, totally avoidable.

I just re-read Eric's description. He looks nothing like I imagined.

Surgate
2014-07-30, 02:51 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax offers Emily a polite smile and shakes his head. "Thank you Emily, and think nothing of earlier, I've already put the disagreement aside where it belongs. I am merely glad everyone has survived relatively unscathed thus far."

He checked his things, stepping towards the zombie pits with his sling prepared with another shot. "I shall assist in freeing these souls from their imprisonment, no sense leaving them here for an accidental slip-up later."

Mordae
2014-07-30, 02:53 PM
Eric the Green

The priest offers Emily a wolfish smile before resuming his game of whack-a-zombie. "You must admit he is well protected in his metal tortoise shell."

Yeah, I imagine him as a cross between a Mayan or Aztec priest and Teal'c (from Stargate).

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 04:12 PM
It takes longer than expected, but the spirits animating the trapped zombies are eventually released from the mortal coil via a combination of haphazard blows and chucking large rocks into the pit. The explorers venture back inside, intent at least upon examining the room crates and barrels filling the zombie room.

Ten and eleven turns elapsed

The various containers, emptied of their zombified inhabitants, are sadly all empty.

Wandering Monster (1 on 1d6): (1d6=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4589709/)

Surgate
2014-07-30, 04:32 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax sighed. "I presumed too much. Suppose we should check the fireplace and rest".

Elbeyon
2014-07-30, 04:45 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily gives both a nod and says, "Oh, I do," to Eric before heading inside with everyone.

After a good twenty minutes of searching Emily let's out a sigh of obvious disappointment. "Search before, search after resting, it does not matter to me.

Unless the fireplace has some type of secret door it looks like we will be going left or right. I have no idea what is behind either so I will just randomly pick right."

We have to rest now, before searching, since it's turn 12.

Did we searched the entire room?

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 04:55 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily gives both a nod and says, "Oh, I do," to Eric before heading inside with everyone.

After a good twenty minutes of searching Emily let's out a sigh of obvious disappointment. "Search before, search after resting, it does not matter to me.

Unless the fireplace has some type of secret door it looks like we will be going left or right. I have no idea what is behind either so I will just randomly pick right."

We have to rest now, before searching, since it's turn 12.

Did we searched the entire room?

Except for the fireplace, yes.

Elbeyon
2014-07-30, 05:00 PM
Except for the fireplace, yes.

Oh, my bad. I should have been more specific. I meant the crate/barrel room. I just wanted to make sure we weren't leaving crates/barrels left unturned.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 05:03 PM
Oh, my bad. I should have been more specific. I meant the crate/barrel room. I just wanted to make sure we weren't leaving crates/barrels left unturned.

Yeah, it's empty.

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 07:52 PM
Twelve turns elapsed

The companions rest while discussing what to do next. They are not disturbed.
Just to be clear, I believe someone floated the suggestion of examining the fireplace before moving on. Is this correct?

Wandering Monster (1 on 1d6): (1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4589893/)

Surgate
2014-07-30, 08:09 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax indicates the fireplace with a scarred finger. "Before we move on, let us check the fireplace, and then as Emily suggested go right. Mayhap if the fireplace has something of value we call it a day and rest to replenish our strength and spells".

thirdkingdom
2014-07-30, 08:12 PM
Sorry, my previous post was unclear. The Labyrinth Lord rules state that players must rest one turn out of every six. Sleep is required to memorize spells.

Of course, calling it a day before exploring further so you all can rememorize spells is a valid strategy.

Lt. Tibbles
2014-07-30, 10:18 PM
Gurni

The dwarf felt the wounds he recieved from the zombie's attacks, theyvwere starting to bruise. "Ack! Aye we could all do with a bit of rest im sure, before we do I'd like to retrieve my pack and leave it at the entrance."

asnys
2014-07-31, 10:05 AM
Jahn the Quick

"Aye. Let's check the fireplace, then stop so our magic-slingers can ready themselves. Two hours of facing death is enough for one day."

thirdkingdom
2014-07-31, 04:21 PM
The Vaults of Demonic Ruin,
Thirteen turns elapsed

The adventurers turn their attention to the choked fireplace. It appears as though the opening has been filled with all manner of debris; broken and splintered timbers, large rocks, earth, etc. When fully cleared, it is likely that the hearth is large enough to hold a half-dozen or so burly men. As of the moment, however, it is doubtful even a halfling could fit within.

Girding themselves, the companions begin the laborious task of clearing the debris and combing through in search of treasure. They have not gotten halfway through -- and found nothing of value -- when what appears to be half a door is shifted out of the way, revealing three large, glabrous centipedes curled up in their nest. The chittering chilopods wave their antennae and scuttle towards the poor adventurers who have disturbed their rest!

Neither side has surprise, so I'll roll initiative to determine who gets to act first. If you guys win, dropping the door back on the nest is a totally valid option. For those of you not familiar with OSR centipedes, they're a huge pain in the ass. No death from their poison, but anyone failing a save is incapacitated for ten days. Just thought you might like a fair warning.
Surpise, PCs first (1-2 on 1d6), then centipedes (1 on 1d6): (1d6=4, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4590746/)

Surgate
2014-07-31, 05:04 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax swallows a surprised gasp and instinctively drops the door back on the nest if he is holding it, otherwise suggesting whoever is immediately do so, "Best be letting these critters rest! No point proceeding further against them for scraps."

Dovax runs away with Emily, assuming Gurni or someone in front row is holding the door.

Elbeyon
2014-07-31, 05:34 PM
Would this count as one of the basic monsters everyone would know about? I'd prefer not to metagame!

thirdkingdom
2014-07-31, 05:38 PM
Would this count as one of the basic monsters everyone would know about? I'd prefer not to metagame!

Yes, they're pretty basic. Y'all would know about them.

Mordae
2014-07-31, 05:59 PM
Eric the Green

Eric hisses as he sees the insects, familiar with their deadly power from his jungle home. "Quick, torch the wood and run!" He urges, already starting to retreat toward the entrance.

Elbeyon
2014-07-31, 06:06 PM
Emily Hayden

Emily's eyes unpleasantly flare when she sees the uncurling masses ahead of Guni. Mimicking Dovax she shouts, "Close it! Guard Wart!" And shouts to Damar, as the others probably know already, "Damar, retreat!" Doing so herself, "They're slow. Gain enough distance to escape their charge and their harmless."

These creatures can only move 20' and still attack. Let's use some kitting tactics if we don't close the door in time.

Actions:
Wart is commanded to stand his ground.
Emily is full out running.
Damar is told to do the same, but who knows what he'll actually do.

Doorhandle
2014-07-31, 07:01 PM
Valistriga the First

The elf panics, and musters all the effort he can in jamming that door shut!

10 days? Sweet jegus.

Also, I will run and shoot if we can't jam this door closed.

Also, we haven't seen any kobolds yet...Bet the centipedes ate them. :smallbiggrin:

thirdkingdom
2014-07-31, 07:52 PM
Round One

The centipedes prove to be sluggish, and the adventurers are able to drop the door back on their lair without incident. They seem disinclined to venture forth to bedevil the companions.

Initiative, PCs first, then centipedes: (1d6=4, 1d6=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4590944/)

Uh, someone posted they wanted to torch the debris. Is this a plan?

Surgate
2014-07-31, 08:01 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax wipes some sweat from his brow and chuckles. "And that's it. I'm done for today. Also...please don't torch the debris. There are better ways to deal with those critters than fire, and keeping whatever valuables hidden there in-tact."

Let's just say Eric was overreacting...don't wanna burn potential spoils!

Elbeyon
2014-07-31, 08:14 PM
Emily Hayden

Half exhaling, half chuckling at Dovax's nonchalant response. She calls wart to her side and stands at the ready 100 feet back. "Like smoke? I'd prefer we suffocate them than burn them." She stands there, her blood still pumping with adrenaline, and her words out for blood, "I'm still in a fighting mood. If we took some time we could use some of the trash around here to create a smoking bundle. A bundle we could transfer to the firepit and perhaps drive them out. They are really slow so if we unloaded some equipment we could outrun and kill them without ever being in real danger..."

Surgate
2014-07-31, 08:25 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax nodded at the suggestion, half-smirking as he did so. "Aye that's a sound plan as any. I will stay out of (melee) range with sling prepped, and I suggest the rest of our ranged capable companions do the same when we smoke them out".

Elbeyon
2014-07-31, 08:57 PM
Emily Hayden

She looks at the group as if she isn't sure she should continue. She glances at Dovax smirk and continues on. "We would need to be fast. A hundred foot distance at all times seems reasonable. Their poison is a bitch, but they are not too dangerous by themselves. If we are lucky that should be enough."

"Set up at at 150' range. Spike the doors for they can't escape west, east, or into the southern rooms. Have our friends with the ability to see in the dark watch their hole and them if they flee. Built up our smoking bundle and have one person throw it into the firepit. The rest of us stand back outside and fire if they come out; and the rest should just be attacking and retreating as need be hopefully."

85' feet is the safe distance. If they run 60' one turn and win initiative they can move 20' and attack. We'll have to run and not attack on some turns probably, but they shouldn't ever catch us. It'd be great if everyone ditched enough stuff to become unencumbered for this fight.

Doorhandle
2014-08-01, 07:41 AM
Valistriga the First

The elf silently nods, still jammed against the door like a particularly panicky wall-prop.

thirdkingdom
2014-08-01, 04:12 PM
A plan is formulated and executed. The debris is set to the torch, and within minutes there is a roaring blaze inside the fireplace. The heat it throws off is intense. There is no way the centipedes could have survived the fire . . . unless they happen to be some sort of hitherto unknown species of asbestos lined chilopods.

But the evidence against this theory is dubious at best.

Okay, here's how we're going to do this. No one said they are using oil, so I'm going to roll 1 d6 and see what happens. 1-2 no fire, 3-4 fire but tons of smoke, 5-6 fire: (1d6=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4591891/)

Elbeyon
2014-08-01, 04:53 PM
I thought the plan was to create a smoking bundle. Most likely using a spare large sack, some of the moldy debris around, and get it smoking. A smoking bundle, not one with a flame. Than sling it around, toss it into the fireplace and smoke out the creatures while everyone waits farther away to sling/bow them...

thirdkingdom
2014-08-01, 05:47 PM
I thought the plan was to create a smoking bundle. Most likely using a spare large sack, some of the moldy debris around, and get it smoking. A smoking bundle, not one with a flame. Than sling it around, toss it into the fireplace and smoke out the creatures while everyone waits farther away to sling/bow them...

Totally misread that. I can certainly retcon it, but be aware as the result stands it will not increase your wandering monster chances. Creating a bunch of smoke will.

Surgate
2014-08-01, 05:53 PM
I'm fine with how it went down, even though Dovax expressed himself differently, I doubt anything of true value was in there, and we could just say Eric grabbed the torch and did it despite our plan. Overreacting and all :smalltongue: No more critters to worry about and no monsters alerted.

Elbeyon
2014-08-01, 06:24 PM
Emily Hayden

"I guess, that settles that... We were entertaining the idea of stopping for the day? If we are I would suggest we spend some time searching everything we have cleared as thoroughly as possible and call it a day."

I guess. I more so wanted their bodies than the most likely nothing they were guarding. A non-lethal, make someone useless for 10 days poison. That's a lot of utility.

thirdkingdom
2014-08-01, 08:23 PM
Sorry about that, guys. I was on my way out the door to a dinner party after work and wanted to get a post off quickly, and I guess I just had the image of Eric torching the debris stuck in my mind. FWIW, there wasn't any treasure in there.

That's one of the things that makes giant centipedes so damn annoying; not only will they know a PC out of commission for ten days, but they don't even have any treasure.

Surgate
2014-08-02, 12:27 AM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax watched the fireplace roar to life with flame, and nodded at Emily's suggestion. "Well that's that. Look around, maybe nail shut the east and west doors, and then let's rest for the day".

It's all good, all in all we saved some time and potentially a huge pain in the ass regarding the poison.

thirdkingdom
2014-08-02, 07:11 AM
The adventurers spike both doors shut and camp for the night.

Camping in a dungeon is considerably more dangerous that camping outside. When sleeping outside, I make just one wandering monster check for the whole night. While in a dungeon, I technically should be making a check every two turns.

However, you guys might not be used to this, so I'm just going to make three checks:
Wandering Monster (1 on 1d6): (1d6=4, 1d6=2, 1d6=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4592529/)

Thirdmonth, Fifthday

The adventurers wake in the morning, rested and ready to relearn any spent spells.

Cross off one day's rations, everyone. Damage healed from rest (Fundrin first, then Damar): (1d3=1, 1d3=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4592532/)

Surgate
2014-08-02, 12:03 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Wide-eyed and awake, Dovax memorizes his sleep spell for an emergency, and addresses his companions. "Alright, let's keep the left door spiked, and unspike the right door and explore from there. And no more sleeping in the vaults, we got lucky nothing happened".

Yeah from now on we sleep outside the dungeon! Phew, that could have been bad x.x

Elbeyon
2014-08-02, 03:17 PM
Emily Hayden

"Why did we anyways?"

"Wait, no. We have to return to camp. Damar and Wart don't have any food for today. Then let us go through that right door."

Yeah, it's no problem, thirdkingdom. Things like that our bound to happen. It was nothing too important anyways.

I myself need to remember that if people don't post that means they agree. Meaning that I shouldn't leave half my ideas, mostly details, unsaid in order to have more of a conversation if they do post.

Surgate
2014-08-02, 03:26 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax shrugged, and then nodded. "Aye it wouldn't hurt to check on the horses and our hired hands as well before we go further. Leave the doors spiked until we return to the main chamber, and then we go right."

thirdkingdom
2014-08-02, 04:45 PM
The two mercenaries look like they have been up for a fair bit; they have a small fire going, and are roasting a brace of conies over the coals. The mounts, too, seem rested.

Surgate
2014-08-02, 05:02 PM
Dovax the Leper Warlock

Dovax waved at the mercenaries, coming close to check on his black horse, Hade, and whispering in the beast's ear a word of comfort before waiting for his companions to figure out their weight and supplies, already prepared himself to reenter to the vaults and go to the right door in the main chamber.

Elbeyon
2014-08-02, 05:34 PM
Emily Hayden

A spot near the fire warms Emily from the cool morning, and she takes care to feed her dog. She'll talk to Laco and Suroy during the course of the meal, though she doesn't expect that the two will have anything important to say.

I didn't have anything to do at camp besides use some rations. I made some small adjustments to my equipment, but it was mostly how I wanted it. I can see Damar has a backpack in his future.

Doorhandle
2014-08-02, 08:22 PM
Valistriga the First

Valistriga Takes a minute to prepare magic missile before following his compatriots.