PDA

View Full Version : Half-Farspawn Recommendations

Chester
2014-07-07, 06:18 PM
Anyone ever use the Half-Farspawn Template? I'm looking for a creature on which to apply the template, and I'd like to hear your suggestions. What's particularly interesting / fun / etc?

It will fight alongside a Tsochar who controls the body of a wizard. Level 9 encounter. 3.5.

AlanBruce
2014-07-07, 07:03 PM
I used that template on a pair of scrag trolls with a few barbarian levels each.

The scrags already impressive abilities in melee, pairied with the template's and their SQ made them very good bruisers, especially when they raged and used their Change Shape feature to impose penalties on the party and make them immune to crits and flanking.

A pair of those sent a full party of casters and a DMM Persist Cleric running.

Jergmo
2014-07-07, 08:24 PM
I've put it on riding dogs, much to the dismay of my players.

PraxisVetli
2014-07-07, 09:30 PM
Chokers.
Having 4 tentacles attacks that can shut down a caster is always nice.
Being able to full attack for 4 (d3+4), hopefully hitting the caster for damage, then dropping Touch of Idiocy on the tank..
A good opponent, especially at CR3. No damned Crab....but...wait...
PUT IT ON THE CRAB.

Chester
2014-07-09, 04:19 PM
I used that template on a pair of scrag trolls with a few barbarian levels each.

That's just mean! :smallbiggrin: (But it might work.)

I've put it on riding dogs, much to the dismay of my players.

Really? That's a good idea, but I wonder if it's too easy . . .

Chokers.
Being able to full attack for 4 (d3+4), hopefully hitting the caster for damage, then dropping Touch of Idiocy on the tank..
PUT IT ON THE CRAB.

Chokers were my first thought, actually, but flavor-wise, I thought they were already a bit alien.

Maybe a bear?

PraxisVetli
2014-07-09, 11:08 PM
Chokers were my first thought, actually, but flavor-wise, I thought they were already a bit alien.

Well, now they're a lotta alien. What's wrong with that?

Thurbane
2014-07-09, 11:19 PM
Half-Farspawn Yuan-ti Abomination is CR9: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=7071846&postcount=12

Graypairofsocks
2014-07-10, 02:16 AM
Chokers.
PUT IT ON THE CRAB.

Half-Farspawn Pseudonatural(CAr) Pseudonatural(EL) Paragon Monstrous Crab?

PraxisVetli
2014-07-10, 02:25 AM
Half-Farspawn Pseudonatural(CAr) Pseudonatural(EL) Paragon Monstrous Crab?

Lol, yeaup.
Where's Fax when ya need him?

Yael
2014-07-10, 02:51 AM
PUT IT ON THE CRAB.

NO NOT ON THE CRAB!!!

Omg, you meanie D:

Jergmo
2014-07-10, 10:43 AM
If it's not too high CR of a creature, you could have a half-farspawn gray render. They are already pretty strange, and are big on forming protective bonds with other types of creatures.

Chester
2014-07-11, 05:57 AM
Well, now they're a lotta alien. What's wrong with that?

Nothing, really. Just flavor. I was going for the whole, "Look at what the aliens did to that otherwise familiar creature" rather than "look at what the aliens did to the . . . alien?" But really, I can do both, right?

Still, I wonder if it would be fun to apply the template to a Grell. That would be sinister.

Half-Farspawn Yuan-ti Abomination is CR9: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=7071846&postcount=12

Yikes. Nice suggestion. That might work, with Yuan-Ti in the area!

If it's not too high CR of a creature, you could have a half-farspawn gray render. They are already pretty strange, and are big on forming protective bonds with other types of creatures.

Yeah, I saw the Gray Render sample in Lords of Madness, and one instinct is to just go with it to try it out first.

I'm thinking . . . first, apply the template to a "normal" creature, like the riding dogs, or a gray render, or even a dire bear.

Then, bring out the chokers and grell. :smalleek: