PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Quarterstaves and Magic Staves - Pricing Question

Droningbass
2014-07-07, 07:07 PM
So, I've got a question about making a custom staff for a Wizard character I'm working on. Here's the core of the question: How do you use both the Craft Magic Arms & Armor and Craft Staff on the same item and how would this affect the cost?

I know that some items are charged additional fees for adding extra items, but I'm not sure how it works with staves/quarterstaves (like how the Staff of Power is both a magic staff and a magic quarterstaff, and a couple magical rods come to mind as well). Since magic staves are built from quarterstaves, does it cost any more/extra to enchant the quarterstaff like a weapon?

I did some math from the entry for the Runestaff of Power in the Magic Item Compendium, and the experience cost to create that item is exactly 1/25th the cost, which would indicate to me that the costs are simply added for each component. If one of the components was made more expensive because of doubling up on the same item, I would think that the experience would be less (since this is calculated from the base price, not a modified price). Maybe this is the answer I'm looking for, but I thought I should field the question to others out there to see what the consensus is.

What do you think? Do the costs for a magic weapon and magic staff just add together, or does one need to be modified in some way? If so, which one of the costs should be altered?

And, since the question "Why would a wizard want a magic melee weapon?" will probably come up, I'm hoping to make a defending weapon with the first end, and a warning/eager weapon with the other end. Not for melee bonuses at all, but for AC and Initiative bonuses. Thanks all in advance for your input!

Gildedragon
2014-07-07, 08:28 PM
No. Treat both sides of the item separately, just as a shield's shield-bashy weapon-ness is separate from and does not affect the shield's AC-bonus-ness