PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Super Duper Fighter [PEACH] (why not?)

Psycho Yuffie
2014-07-07, 08:45 PM
This is a silly thing. I went a little crazy and went back to the old fighter problem that everyone wants to fix. This isn't entirely serious and may even be overpowered, but I don't care. Here you go!

Super Duper Fighter

Hit Die: d12.

Alignment: Any.

Class Skills
The fighter’s class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (engineering) (Int), Knowledge (local) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hwgv0j.jpg

Class Features
The following are class features of the fighter.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A fighter is proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, light, and medium) and shields (including tower shields).

Bonus Feats: At 1st level, and at every even level thereafter, a fighter gains a bonus feat in addition to those gained from normal advancement (meaning that the fighter gains a feat at every level). These bonus feats must be selected from those listed as combat feats, sometimes also called “fighter bonus feats.”

Upon reaching 4th level, and every four levels thereafter (8th, 12th, and so on), a fighter can choose to learn a new bonus feat in place of a bonus feat he has already learned. In effect, the fighter loses the bonus feat in exchange for the new one. The old feat cannot be one that was used as a prerequisite for another feat, prestige class, or other ability. A fighter can only change one feat at any given level and must choose whether or not to swap the feat at the time he gains a new bonus feat for the level.

Warcry (Ex): A fighter can intimate his enemies on the battlefield. The enemies must succeed on a Will save or be shaken for the fighter's Charisma bonus +2 rounds. If they succeed, they are unaffected. To determine the DC of a warcry, the fighter must roll an Intimidate skill check and divide the result in half. A fighter can only do a warcry once per encounter.

A warcry is a display of both sound and presence. Enemies must be able to hear or see the fighter to be effected by it. It's a compulsion effect. A fighter may do a warcry as a standard action. A warcry does not effect creatures that have two or more hit dice than the fighter.

Bravery (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a fighter gains a +2 morale bonus on Will saves against fear effects of all kinds. This bonus increases by +2 for every four levels beyond 2nd. Additionally, all allies within 10 feet of the fighter also receive this bonus against fear effects. This effect lasts while allies are standing within 10 feet of the fighter, but they lose it when they leave the area. Also, the effect immediately ends if the fighter dies or loses consciousness.

Armor Training (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a fighter learns to be more maneuverable while wearing armor and using shields. Whenever he is wearing armor or a shield, his AC gains a +2 competence bonus, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every four levels thereafter (7th, 11th, and 15th), these bonuses increase by +1 each time, to a maximum –4 reduction of the armor check penalty and a +4 increase of the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed.

In addition, a fighter can also move at his normal speed while wearing medium armor. At 7th level, a fighter can move at his normal speed while wearing heavy armor.

Shield Ally (Ex): At 3rd level and higher, a fighter may decide to throw themselves in front of the attack of an adjacent ally. This action must be declared before the enemy’s attack roll is resolved, so they must make attack roll against the fighter’s AC. You may only do this once per round, so if an enemy has multiple attacks, the ally is on their own. The amount of attacks you can guard an ally from increases by one every six levels after 3rd level.

Strength Training (Ex): Beginning at 4th level, a fighter’s strength from rigorous training begins to bear great fruit. His strength score gains a +1 competence bonus. Additionally, the fighter receives a +2 competence bonus to his intimidate skill. Every four levels thereafter, the Strength bonus increase by 1 and the bonus to his intimate skill gains a +2 competence bonus.

Improved Flanking (Ex): At 5th level or higher, any time a fighter is standing adjacent to an enemy, that enemy is treated as flanked no matter where an ally is standing—as long as the ally is also standing adjacent to the enemy.

Weapon Training (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a fighter can select one group of weapons, as noted below. Whenever he attacks with a weapon from this group, he gains a +1 competence bonus on attack and damage rolls. Also, weapons from this group can ignore DR 1/— and 5 hardness.

Every four levels thereafter (9th, 13th, and 17th), a fighter becomes further trained in another group of weapons. In addition, the bonuses granted by previous weapon groups increase by +1 each, including DR, and the hardness the weapon may ignore increases by 5 each time. For example, when a fighter reaches 9th level, he receives a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls with one weapon group and a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls with the weapon group selected at 5th level. Bonuses granted from overlapping groups do not stack. Take the highest bonus granted for a weapon if it resides in two or more groups.

A fighter also adds this bonus to any combat maneuver checks made with weapons from this group. This bonus also applies to the fighter’s Combat Maneuver Defense when defending against disarm and sunder attempts made against weapons from this group.

Weapon groups are defined as follows (GMs may add other weapons to these groups, or add entirely new groups):

Axes: battleaxe, dwarven waraxe, greataxe, handaxe, heavy pick, light pick, orc double axe, and throwing axe.

Blades, Heavy: bastard sword, elven curve blade, falchion, greatsword, longsword, scimitar, scythe, and two-bladed sword.

Blades, Light: dagger, kama, kukri, rapier, sickle, starknife, and short sword.

Bows: composite longbow, composite shortbow, longbow, and shortbow.

Close: gauntlet, heavy shield, light shield, punching dagger, sap, spiked armor, spiked gauntlet, spiked shield, and unarmed strike.

Crossbows: hand crossbow, heavy crossbow, light crossbow, heavy repeating crossbow, and light repeating crossbow.

Double: dire flail, dwarven urgrosh, gnome hooked hammer, orc double axe, quarterstaff, and two-bladed sword.

Flails: dire flail, flail, heavy flail, morningstar, nunchaku, spiked chain, and whip.

Hammers: club, greatclub, heavy mace, light hammer, light mace, and warhammer.

Monk: kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, siangham, and unarmed strike.

Natural: unarmed strike and all natural weapons, such as bite, claw, gore, tail, and wing.

Pole Arms: glaive, guisarme, halberd, and ranseur.

Spears: javelin, lance, longspear, shortspear, spear, and trident.

Thrown: blowgun, bolas, club, dagger, dart, half ling sling staff, javelin, light hammer, net, shortspear, shuriken, sling, spear, starknife, throwing axe, and trident.

In addition, at 5th level a fighter is treated as having Weapon Focus in all weapons he is trained in for qualifying for combat feats. At 13th level, a fighter is treated as having Greater Weapon Focus in all weapons he is trained in for qualifying for combat feats. The fighter does not gain the benefits of Weapon Focus or Greater Weapon Focus, though.

Greater Flanking (Ex): Starting at 10th level, enemies adjacent to the fighter are so concentrated on him, that it gives even allies attacking from range an advantage. Allies’ ranged attacks also receive flanking bonuses. In addition, enemies adjacent to the fighter are treated as flat-footed for allies also adjacent to the enemies.

Vigilance (Ex): Beginning at 11th level, a fighter may now take a full attack action even after moving or performing any action that consumes a movement action.

Bravery Mastery (Ex): At 18th level, a fighter becomes immune to all fear effects of all kinds. In addition, all allies within 20 feet of the fighter are also immune to all fear effects. This immunity lasts for one minute while not within 20 feet of the fighter and ends immediately if the fighter dies or loses consciousness.

Armor Mastery (Ex): At 19th level, a fighter gains DR 5/— whenever he is wearing armor or using a shield.

Weapon Mastery (Ex): At 20th level, a fighter chooses one weapon, such as the longsword, greataxe, or longbow. Any attacks made with that weapon automatically confirm all critical threats and have their damage multiplier increased by 1 (×2 becomes ×3, for example). In addition, he cannot be disarmed while wielding a weapon of this type.

jiriku
2014-07-07, 09:40 PM
It looks like a fine fix to me. I could make a few suggestions:

You need to specify the type of action needed for Warcry, and the range of the effect. If you intend for the range to be extremely large, you may want to consider whether you want to limit it to a maximum number of enemies affected or a maximum hit dice affected. I mention this because it's possible to cheese the Intimidate check up to the level where even creatures powerful enough to consider the fighter a trivial opponent would be unable to make the saving throw.

I'd recommend putting bonus types on all the bonuses, to limit the potential for bonus stacking. Suggested bonus types:
Bravery: morale
Armor Training: competence
Strength Training: competence (for both benefits)
Weapons Training: competence

If I had a gripe about this class, I think you've gone a little overboard with to-hit bonuses. Between Strength bonuses, weapon bonuses, and free feats, your basic greatsword-wielding 20th level fighter has gained +11 to hit. This is too much! At that level if a fighter can hit an opponent on a roll of 9 or better, other martial characters in the party will need to roll a natural 20 to hit the same monster. If a normal warrior-type hits a monster on a 13+, the fighter will hit on any roll except a natural 1.

Psycho Yuffie
2014-07-07, 10:21 PM
Thank you for the feedback, Jiriku. I have made the following changes:

1. Added duration to warcry.
2. Warcry is a compulsion effect.
3. Nerfed warcry by halving the DC and limiting the creatures that may be affected.
4. Classified bravery as a morale bonus.
5. Classified armor training as a competence bonus.
6. Nerfed strength training.
7. Made strength training a competence bonus.
8. Nerfed weapon training a bit.
9. Made weapon training a competence bonus.

Solarix
2014-07-10, 12:14 PM
I am liking this take on the Fighter.

Just a few thoughts:

1. For hp, the d12 is ok, seems to guide the fighter to be a bit more tankish, along with the new additional abilities.

2. As for the warcry, it could use a bit more standard for the DC to be 10 + 1/2 fighter level + Cha (or Str) modifier, considering that it can be used only once per encounter. Although the sense of wonder might be fun...

3. Shield Ally looks ok, makes the fighter more of a tank than anything.

4. I would suggest Strength Training to be a bonus to any rolls involving strength, instead of actually raising the score.

5. Improved and Greater Flanking makes you a great tank, if you can somehow provoke the enemies. This build is focused to tank, so maybe give an upgrade to warcry that actually forces enemies to attack you?

6. Vigilance is a great ability, better than pounce at least, which is good on my book. Not overtly powerful at the level it comes, but a nice addition. I would love to add something like this to monks.

I really like this, congratulations! :smallsmile: