PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Seeking Advice on a "Charmander" Sorcerer Build

Nevershutup
2014-07-07, 08:57 PM
Hello once more, my fellow Playgrounders! I come seeking advice, for yet another spontaneous caster, this time a sorcerer. As the title suggests, this a blaster sorcerer focused around fire. Currently the party consists of:

A Human Oracle, played by my older brother, the most veteran player in our group, and is playing a buffer/healer (as not to outshine the rest of the party). He also made our characters, and me and him have the most experience with D&D/PF.

An Elven Druid, being played by a newer player, is a debuffer/summoner and her wolf animal companion who mainly tries to trip everything.

A Human Fighter, who focuses on Two-Hand Power-Attacking with his Great-Sword (And he deals oodles of damage), and getting Improved Trip.
And/Or (Both have only played in one of the two sessions)
A Human Warblade, who also uses a greatsword with Power-Attack, and then some maneuvers.

And then me (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=951345), the Human CharmanderElemental (Fire) Sorcerer, and I focus on blasting, putting my Arcane Mark on EVERYTHING, and doing some crafting for the party.

Currently, we're fighting lots of small monsters (Orcs, and gnolls soon). We just defeated a large cave of orcs, and came into possession of some nice magic items. I have a Holy Shocking Scimitar, and Boots and a Cloak of Elvenkind. Also, due to the GM being awesome, all of our characters started out with all 18's for stats, so MADness isn't a terrible problem.

Anyways, background over, our tanks could sometimes use some support up in the thick of things, and I wanted to see if there were some ways that I could make my Sorcerer a gish(-ish) type character, being able to go into the edges of melee, and taking some heat off of the tanks. So, logically, I came to the wonderful Playground for help. Anything you can provide, whether I use it or not, is appreciated. Thanks!

DMVerdandi
2014-07-07, 10:26 PM
1. Get the Fiery Burst Reserve feat. This way you can Blast all damn day. Now, I am going to say this. Sorcerer is kind of bad for this, as it would mean to stay competitive and do more than a negligible amount you would have to keep buying fire spells. Meh...

2. Energy Substitution.
Never get caught slippin. Alternatively there is Searing spell, but that costs more. It lets you keep the fire only motif, though...

3. Change the class.
Honestly, there is no better than a spell point wizard with Eidetic spell caster from the dragon magazine (Which is legal btw.) If you can't get the spell point variant, then the other half. If you can only play a vanilla wizard, at least you still have fiery burst. But yeah, Spell point wizard is the best. Do research. You will see.

Also druids are good at using the fire element, and you can eventually wild shape into dragons as well. Just saying.

If you REALLY like the Sorcerer, then moving towards a more Gish like build, Battle Sorcerer nets you Medium BAB. Add another attack somehow and you are good.

4. Heroics spell
Nets you a Fighter bonus feat for every casting. IMO indispensable for a gish build.

Malroth
2014-07-07, 10:40 PM
Firey burst reserve feat, Energy substitution fire and Searing spell are all great feats for a fire mage. Take the best sorcorer spells like Shadow Evocation/conjuration , Wings of cover, Wings of Flurry, Arcane spellsurge, shapechange etc but make sure at least one spell every other level has an energy descriptor that's not fire so you can always use your highest lv spell slot to fuel firey burst (via energy substitution) or nova dangerous enemies while still remaining a relevant blaster against fire immune creatures.

Spore
2014-07-07, 11:01 PM
Anyways, background over, our tanks could sometimes use some support up in the thick of things, and I wanted to see if there were some ways that I could make my Sorcerer a gish(-ish) type character

1. Changing up classes is no option:
Aside from the obvious Eldritch Knight (which kicks in way too late imho) you took the wrong class for being a gish. You might summon stuff but you honestly lack a tad bit of control if the Druid is played very aggressively. You want to blast but a little grease/enlarge person/web/glitterdust/stinking cloud/haste never hurt anybody.

2. Changing up classes is an option:
Go for a (red) draconic sorcerer dragon disciple. One half of your spells is blasting, the other one is buff spells to reduce incoming damage. You start being a decent gish at 6th level. Even without dips into a full BAB class. Although Ranger 2/Sorcerer 3 is a decent mix with Aspect of the Beast.