PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The Grand Wizard Heisenberg

xkaliburr
2014-07-07, 09:24 PM
I like to throw random stuff from pop culture into my games. Almost every member of my party was a huge fan of Breaking Bad, and so I am designing a new villain patterned after good ole Walt. Of course, as he is a scientist, this would translate into magic within D&D. Now, this is where the fun question comes up.

Walt is known as an amazing deceiver, and an amazing creator. Obviously, Enchantment and Transmutation would be his primary schools. But, which one do you think he would specialize in.

More of a discussion point than an actual assistance question I guess, but I thought it would be fun.

eggynack
2014-07-07, 09:34 PM
Transmutation, definitely. He deceives people a lot, but he's not all that good at it. He might be better as a factotum though. Heavy intelligence focus, and relies on inspiration in the heat of the moment to find victory. That could be a bit too combat focused though.

Rolero
2014-07-07, 09:53 PM
More than a wizard, I think He fits naturally into an alchemist, after all, they are the indisputable masters of brewing, and good old Walt will be onto that all the way. Plus, they have bombs. Meth and explosions, what else can you ask? ^^

xkaliburr
2014-07-08, 09:53 AM
I should have stated this a 3.5 game. Alchemist would have been great though. Is there anything like Alchemist in 3.5?

weckar
2014-07-08, 10:06 AM
He's a villain. He doesn't need to play by PC rules. Make him a PF alchemist.

I'm also a little uncertain about the topic title.

Piggy Knowles
2014-07-08, 10:18 AM
Alchemist Savant can make some pretty nasty bombs. Artificer works well here. Use the Spell Storing Item infusion as his inspired, mad creations made in the spur of the moment, fluffing it as him modifying objects at hand to get them to do insane things.

I'd say Rogue 1/Artificer 5/Alchemist Savant 5, with craft (poisonmaking), craft (alchemy) and profession (chemist). Create items of the Extract Drug spell from BoVD, and maybe even research a higher level version of the spell that requires a profession (chemist) check but produces purer, more powerful results.

Use the Alchemist Savant abilities to make things like bombs (spellvials), acid that eats through doors (acid + a spellvial of Knock) or exploding poison (alchemist's fire + poison, poison everyone with a splash weapon). With Able Learner and a high Int, he can be as tricky or manipulative as you want.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2014-07-08, 01:44 PM
Walt prefers to see chemistry as the study of... change. A transmuter wizard with ranks in bluff and craft(alchemy) would fit the bill pretty well.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-08, 01:58 PM
Darn, I thought this was going to be about the actual Heisenberg (who would definitely be an Illusionist, by the way).

Darkweave31
2014-07-08, 02:44 PM
If you're up for a little homebrew, you might find that gramarie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?291019-By-the-Inferior-Science-of-our-Enemies-Gramarie-Mark-II) could give you a good D&D facsimile of science...

I'd look into alchemetry for the chemestry part. Imachination is good for deception. Yggdritecture is great for smuggling (haven't watched the show, but seems appropriate).

EDIT: He could be making carmot (ascended copper, Alchemetry 364), which is basically philosopher's stone brand live forever juice, and selling it on the black market to the highest bidder which has created a huge amount of upheaval and crime around procuring the limited amount of this very valuable substance.