PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Creating Ragnar Lothbrok

Loktar
2014-07-07, 10:59 PM
Hello folks,

I am developing a new character in a 3.5 DnD Campaign, and I always try to get inspiration in Movies and TV Series.
I'm really into this History Channel's series called Vikings ( a really good show,btw) and the main character got my attention to serve as a potential character.

He's Ragnar Lothbrok, considered a great her in Viking history. I'm reading everything I can about him in order to develop a good roleplaying and to situate myself in my Campaign's World.

The thing is, I need your guys help concerning feats and classes.

First of all, would he be a barbarian, a fighter or a hybrid of both ?
He's a great warrior, really cunning and brave, but at the same time, he has this "savage" way of fighting, almost as he were on a rage or something.

Also, the character that I have on my mind would double wield axes and have a nice mobility.

Help me, if possible! Any tip is welcome.

Bullet06320
2014-07-08, 04:00 AM
For Ragnor Lothbrok I'm thinking sumthing along the lines of fighter/marshal with leadership with Floki(feat rogue) being his cohort
Rollo being a fighter/barbarian
phalanx fighting would be an appropriate feat

Adhar
2014-07-08, 04:33 AM
Personally I think Ragnar is more of a fighter then a barbarian. Even when he is releasing his anger he still takes care to avoid injury to win the fight. And his lore outside of the show leads me to believe he was more of a fighter and leader.

He didn't rush around leaving himself open like a barbarian he took calculated risks.

Firechanter
2014-07-08, 04:44 AM
If you stick to Core classes, a CE Fighter/Barbarian should do the trick. He's too skilled for a pure Fighter. Of course, he is also very smart so he'll have a relatively high Int score (say 14-15). Which again leads me to Warblade, which is a great class to portray a smart warrior with leadership qualities.

However, do note that D&D is not a particularly good system for simulating Vikings, because it's simply a different era and techlevel, even if we don't take magic into account at all. Also, Ragnar and his Vikings fought Sword & Board, which is a strictly inferior combat style in D&D. You have to pump in a lot of feats to make it viable, and for that Fighter levels come in handy.

Beardbarian
2014-07-08, 05:31 AM
Warblade with high Diplomacy and a dip in Bloodstorm Blade (he throws axes guys) and some fighter levels for feats.

High Int and Cha are mandatory, also a good Con and Str.

Rollo is a Barbarian/fighter, Floki Rogue/Ranger, Bjorn pure Warblade.

Firechanter
2014-07-08, 07:38 AM
I thought Floki was a bit of a Sorcerer (within the limits of that world).

Loktar
2014-07-09, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tips so far!

So, I believe he would be a Fighter with at least one level of Barbarian for basics ? And Warclade being a good third class for him.
Also, I choose to pick the first level of Barbarian for the flavor and lore.

I'm thinking about dual-wielding him, would that be good? Like, dual wielding War Axes or sumthing... Is that a good idea ?

Beardbarian
2014-07-09, 06:32 PM
Ragnar is more like a sword/axe and shield or two handed with a longsword. He also uses shield bash sometimes.
Barbarian/fighter/warblade/bloodstorm blade focused on White Raven and Iron Heart is the way

Loktar
2014-07-10, 01:49 AM
Ragnar is more like a sword/axe and shield or two handed with a longsword. He also uses shield bash sometimes.
Barbarian/fighter/warblade/bloodstorm blade focused on White Raven and Iron Heart is the way

I got that one!

And what progression would you recommend me, concerning feats and equipment also as well.

Thanks!

Beardbarian
2014-07-10, 02:37 AM
Barbarian: Improved Initiative
Fighter: Point Blank Shot
Fighter: Shield Wall (Heroes of battle), Improved Shield Bash
Warblade: -
Warblade: Shield Specialization
Warblade: Shield Specialization (Player Handbook 2)
Bloodstorm Blade: Shield Ward

It isn't optimized at all, but at least is similar to Ragnar

Heavy wood shield, longsword, battleaxe, a medium armor and go to town

Bullet06320
2014-07-10, 03:04 AM
I thought Floki was a bit of a Sorcerer (within the limits of that world).

maybe a couple levels of divine bard, with the feat rogue being his primary class
he is religious and knows the tales of the gods pretty well
he is my favorite character on the show
he seems a little more squishy then an average fighter
ranks in craft(boat) and profession(sailor) as well

Loktar
2014-07-10, 05:26 PM
Barbarian: Improved Initiative
Fighter: Point Blank Shot
Fighter: Shield Wall (Heroes of battle), Improved Shield Bash
Warblade: Shield Specialization
Warblade: Shield Specialization (Player Handbook 2)
Bloodstorm Blade: Shield Ward

It isn't optimized at all, but at least is similar to Ragnar

Heavy wood shield, longsword, battleaxe, a medium armor and go to town

Seems solid enough. Would "Quick Draw" be a good choice ?

Beardbarian
2014-07-10, 05:55 PM
If you like to draw an axe, throwing it in the face of your enemy, deaw a sword and be ready to fight; yes

Adhar
2014-07-10, 10:32 PM
I would go with
1 Level Barbarian
following Levels in fighter

but i would also use pathfinder if possible for both classes.

two Weapon fighting line of feats along with the sheild bash feats. also leadership would be a must for a Ragnar pc.

primary weapon would be a Longsword and heavy shield. he would wear medium armor for sure with both a dagger and axe as back up weapons.

Old Norse law required men to have 3 weapons which for the adverage viking was a spear, dagger and axe. swords where so expensive that only the wealthy had them.