PDA

View Full Version : Level Adjustment

Drakar
2007-02-27, 07:19 PM
Can someone explain level adjustment to me?

Matthew
2007-02-27, 07:22 PM
As I understand it, if you have an LA +1 Race, then a Fighter 1 of that Race is treated as though he is Character Level 2 [Fighter 1 + LA 1].

Arceliar
2007-02-27, 07:30 PM
As I understand it, if you have an LA +1 Race, then a Fighter 1 of that Race is treated as though he is Character Level 2 [Fighter 1 + LA 1].

That's close...

LA is like a fake level. It costs more exp and stuff. It does not however change your effective number of hit dice, skill points, grant feats, etc.

For example, a level 6 character with 3 adjustment would have feats from level 1, 3, and 6, but have as much exp as a level 9 character. Really, except for the exp thing they're treated in virtually every way as a character of their class levels (plus any racial hit dice).

oriong
2007-02-27, 07:31 PM
Level Adjustment is a value added to your class levels and racial Hit Dice (if any) to determine your effective character level.

Your effective Character level (ECL) is used to determine how much experience you recieve and how much it takes to level up. one of the core races has ECL equal to their class levels. Your ECL also determines what level of game your character is suitable for, so in a party of 6th level characters only characters with ELC 6 may play (so someone with 5 class levels and LA 1 could play, or simply 6 class levels and LA 0).

Drakar
2007-02-27, 07:59 PM
So, If I have a level 1 drow fighter, would he have more hp then a LA0 fighter?

Douglas
2007-02-27, 08:06 PM
No. Level adjustment counts for XP required to level, XP received, recommended wealth by level, and what level party the character should be in. Nothing else is affected. Skill points, feats, base attack bonus, saves, ability score increases, and hit points are all based on hit dice only. Some races have racial hit dice as well as a level adjustment, and those racial hit dice do count for HD-based things, but the level adjustment does not.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-02-27, 08:07 PM
So, If I have a level 1 drow fighter, would he have more hp then a LA0 fighter?
A level 1 drow fighter is the equivalent of a 3rd level character because of it's +2 level adjustment. So a fighter of equivalent level (3rd) has vastly more hit points than the drow.

oriong
2007-02-27, 08:08 PM
No, LA comes with no benefits of class levels or HD, it's purely there to calculate experience.

A level 1 drow fighter and a level 1 human fighter have 1d10 + ccon hit points, however the drow fighter is an ECL 3 character, while the human fighter is ECL 1. This means the drow will gain experience and level up as a level 3 character, while the human does it as a level 1 character.

TheOOB
2007-02-27, 08:08 PM
No, you don't gain any hp from LA, in fact creatures with a LA tend to have less hp, for example,

A drow has LA +2. Lets say the drow also has 3 fighter levels. Their ECL now equals 5 (2+3=5) even though they only have three class levels. When they hit 15,000xp they can then level up to ECL 6, and take another class level(most likely another level of fighter).

On the other hand, humans have a LA of 0. So a human fighter of ECL 5 would have 5 fighter levels. They still need 15,000 total xp to level up, but would still have two more class levels (and thus two more levels of hp) then the drow.

Drakar
2007-02-27, 08:14 PM
Ah, Now I understand LA. Thanks you guys! ^_^

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-27, 10:23 PM
I think LA doesn't count for pre-requisites either, which sort of sucks for LA characters. :/

Jack Mann
2007-02-27, 11:49 PM
It does count for starting wealth by level, though. Otherwise, LA characters would be utterly hosed.

Thomas
2007-02-28, 12:25 AM
LA is used for starting wealth and for experience calculations (both XP for CR, and for XP required for each level) only, nothing else - not prereqs, nothing. Unless ECL is referred to, level means "character level" ( = Hit Dice), which is used for other calculations.

There's some difference of opinion about what to use for Leadership. I'd say that by the RAW, you use character level, not ECL, to calculate the number of followers and the maximum ECL of the cohort, but that'll hose characters with LA again.

LotharBot
2007-02-28, 01:11 AM
Think of LA as levels where you gain 0 HP, 0 skills, and 0 feats/class features. Instead, you get your racial bonuses.

JaronK
2007-02-28, 03:01 AM
LA does count for the Leadership feat, though.

JaronK

daggaz
2007-02-28, 07:34 AM
LA over +1 is generally considered a bad choice, as your character will be that much farther behind than the rest of the guys, and you get that much less experience for killing the same kind of monsters. Being one level behind isnt soooo bad... but two and you start to feel gimped.

Of course a general exception is if everybody in the group is starting out with a higher LA.

Thomas
2007-02-28, 08:45 AM
Whether LA is bad or not depends greatly on what ECL the PCs start out at, and whether buy-off is being used (and, if it is, what levels the campaign is going to get into). If buy-off is in use, all players might as well take a LA +1 or +2 race.

Silkenfist
2007-02-28, 09:20 AM
I've considered LA be a handy way to get new people into existing groups. Want to convince someone of roleplaying and only have this 4th level party to put them in? Give them an uber-cool race, shrug at the LA and send them with a group at the same ECL. It will be a bit rocky until they have more class levels, but it does work surprisingly well.

Orzel
2007-02-28, 09:32 AM
Centaur Fighter! LA +2 and 4 racial HD = nice

LA is nice for classes that get most of their nice stuff in the first 10 or so levels and don't have many things based on class level. A LA wizard may be bad but a ranger of a LA race with good stats is pretty okay.

Zeb The Troll
2007-02-28, 09:39 AM
Whether LA is bad or not depends greatly on what ECL the PCs start out at, and whether buy-off is being used (and, if it is, what levels the campaign is going to get into). If buy-off is in use, all players might as well take a LA +1 or +2 race.On a similar note, I never really understood the concept of the buy-off. My current GM only allows SRD so I only look at the PHB, DMG, and MM1 so I don't often buy other stuff (I have Complete Scoundrel [a waste] and Complete Warrior but since I can't use them I'm not terribly familiar with them).

Piccamo
2007-02-28, 09:41 AM
LA buyoff is in the SRD. http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedRaces.html

Zeb The Troll
2007-02-28, 10:18 AM
LA buyoff is in the SRD. http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedRaces.html

As much as I may like that site, it is NOT strictly SRD. There's stuff in there that shouldn't be. For instance, anything in the Unearthed Arcana (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedArcana.html) isn't even a source for SRD (in fact, not even everything in the PHB is SRD). To be sure, here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) is the official WotC maintained SRD. You will not find LA buy off in these documents.

A more accurate, web enhanced, SRD that isn't maintained by WotC is d20.srd.org, which I and many people here use.

That did help to explain LA buy off, though, so thank you.

*I've had to become a little familiar with the legalities behind this because our current GM is hoping to publish some stuff to use with d20 so it's critical that he not include anything in the books that's not officially Open Game Content. That's why we can't use anything but SRD. He's afraid (justifiably so) that if he hears about or sees us use something from another source, he may inadvertently reference it and get in some deep doo-doo with the spooky ones.

Were-Sandwich
2007-02-28, 11:04 AM
Unearthed Arcana hs the OGL thing at the front, stating its OGL. www.d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org) is the most commonly referenced SRD site, so I think if Wizards didn't want it there, they would have noticed and got it removed by now.

Zeb The Troll
2007-02-28, 12:05 PM
Unearthed Arcana hs the OGL thing at the front, stating its OGL. www.d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org) is the most commonly referenced SRD site, so I think if Wizards didn't want it there, they would have noticed and got it removed by now.
Hmm, two points about this.

1.) I was stating www.d20.srd.org (http://www.d20.srd.org) as a legal site that has no known violations of the Open Gaming License and contains only Open Game Content.

2.) A publication is not OGL. OGL is a license. A work can be OGL compliant by not referencing any Wizards material that is not specifically listed as Open Game Content (and some other stuff). Strictly speaking, this means that a publication from any source which contains no OGC is OGL compliant. Wizards does not have to follow the OGL since they are the owners of said content and said license and they get to decide what is OGC and what is not. It's a matter of semantics, maybe, but used incorrectly (as I have in the past and why I know this) it can be the source of confusion.

That being said, I presume that you mean that Unearthed Arcana has a statement in the first page or so that declares that the material in this product is Open Game Content, which is news to me (mainly because I never figured WotC would provide another OGC product so I never bothered to look).

Out of curiosity, reading that little blurb, is the entire book OGC or just sections of it?

Person_Man
2007-02-28, 12:36 PM
Think of any character or monster as a combination of three things:

1) Racial Hit Dice
2) Character Levels
3) Level Adjustment

Add those three things together, and you get your Effective Character Level (ECL), which is what you base your experience progression off of.

So, a normal Monster Manual Lizardfolk (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/monstersKtoL.html#lizardfolk) has 2 Racial Hit Dice, and +1 Level Adjustment. It's Monster Manual stats reflect this base.

If you wanted to play a Lizardfolk as a PC, you'd also have to take at least one Character Level. For simplicity, let's say you're a 1st level Fighter Lizardfolk.

So now your ECL is 4. For everything related to Experience, you're a 4th level character.

But for most spells and effects, you only have 3 Hit Dice, your Racial Levels plus your Character levels. Level adjustment doesn't count towards whether or not a Sleep (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsS.html#sleep) spell effects you, for example.

Another source of Level Adjustment are Templates (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/theraven_stephenh/monsters/TEMPLATES.html), like Celestial, Fiendish, or Vampire. These also add level adjustment and effect how without necessarily adding Hit Dice.

And some races (including all base Character Races) don't have any Racial Hit Dice. Instead, they only use Character Classes or NPC Classes (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/npcClasses.html).

The entire rigmarole is pretty confusing, mostly because when D&D was originally written, players rarely played non-standard races. But then WotC learned that everyone wants a chance to play everything possible, and they had to come up with a rules mechanic for it that didn't negate what they had previously written.

Also, in my opinion most things that have a Level Adjustment are rarely worth taking. There are a few notable exceptions, such as Mineral Warrior, Ferrel, Entomanothrope, or Mulhorandi Divine Minion. But in most cases, the Hit Points, Saving Throws, Caster Levels, class abilities, and BAB (which also directly helps determine the number of attacks you get each round) far outweigh the benefits you get from a Level Adjusted race or template. This is especially true of any race with Racial Hit Dice, which tend to be pretty worthless.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-28, 12:52 PM
Hmm, two points about this.

1.) I was stating www.d20.srd.org (http://www.d20.srd.org) as a legal site that has no known violations of the Open Gaming License and contains only Open Game Content.

2.) A publication is not OGL. OGL is a license. A work can be OGL compliant by not referencing any Wizards material that is not specifically listed as Open Game Content (and some other stuff). Strictly speaking, this means that a publication from any source which contains no OGC is OGL compliant. Wizards does not have to follow the OGL since they are the owners of said content and said license and they get to decide what is OGC and what is not. It's a matter of semantics, maybe, but used incorrectly (as I have in the past and why I know this) it can be the source of confusion.

That being said, I presume that you mean that Unearthed Arcana has a statement in the first page or so that declares that the material in this product is Open Game Content, which is news to me (mainly because I never figured WotC would provide another OGC product so I never bothered to look).

Out of curiosity, reading that little blurb, is the entire book OGC or just sections of it?

Nine-tenths of the book is OGC. There are small sidebars that are not, just as some of the MM isn't OGC (Beholders, Illithids, et al). The same holds true for the Expanded Psionic Handbook (Thri-Kreen are not OGC, but psionics themselves are) and Deities and Demigods (The gods themselves are not OGC, but deity creation rules are).

EDIT: Further, the d20 licence allows references to existing material, but no quoting or reproduction thereof.

Silvershadow
2007-02-28, 01:14 PM
I think LA doesn't count for pre-requisites either, which sort of sucks for LA characters. :/That is correct. And yeah, it sucks. You basically have to treat the LA "levels" as inexistent where anything is concerned except for XP.

Two of my current PCs are LA characters (a Drow and a Shyft), and it does sort of suck in the sense that it feels like I'm leveling up slower than everybody else, not to mention the fact I have to wait longer for feats/classes with prerequisites. On the other hand, as a Shyft I was able to use Ethereal Jaunt once a day for 9 rounds right from the get-go as a level 1 rogue (ECL 3), which, when you think about it, is crazy handy.

Piccamo
2007-02-28, 01:34 PM
As much as I may like that site, it is NOT strictly SRD. There's stuff in there that shouldn't be. For instance, anything in the Unearthed Arcana (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedArcana.html) isn't even a source for SRD (in fact, not even everything in the PHB is SRD). To be sure, here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=d20/article/srd35) is the official WotC maintained SRD. You will not find LA buy off in these documents.
It is OGC and is added to several online SRDs

A more accurate, web enhanced, SRD that isn't maintained by WotC is d20.srd.org, which I and many people here use.

I know all about that one, but cannot access it at work. The one I replied with is accessible here. d20srd.org has the unearthed arcana variants in it, too :smallwink:

That did help to explain LA buy off, though, so thank you.
No problem.

*I've had to become a little familiar with the legalities behind this because our current GM is hoping to publish some stuff to use with d20 so it's critical that he not include anything in the books that's not officially Open Game Content. That's why we can't use anything but SRD. He's afraid (justifiably so) that if he hears about or sees us use something from another source, he may inadvertently reference it and get in some deep doo-doo with the spooky ones.
While that is understandable, he should realize that the UA variants are OGC as well. Everything on that SRD site is, just like d20srd.org.

kpenguin
2007-02-28, 01:56 PM
In my nonexpert opinion, LA can severely hamper a character's power level. Why? Lower HD, BAB, and saves for some better abilities. ESPECIALLY when they have racial hit dice. This is CLEARLY indicated when you count CR. The challenge rating of a vampire, for instance, is much lower than its ECL.

oriong
2007-02-28, 02:06 PM
In my nonexpert opinion, LA can severely hamper a character's power level. Why? Lower HD, BAB, and saves for some better abilities. ESPECIALLY when they have racial hit dice. This is CLEARLY indicated when you count CR. The challenge rating of a vampire, for instance, is much lower than its ECL.

That's there for a reason, because CR (the difficulty a single monster will cause fighting a group of PCs) and ECL (how powerful a PC a creature is) are very, very different values. The powers of a monster in a PCs hands can be very, very different from an NPCs.

kpenguin
2007-02-28, 02:18 PM
True, but it can get ridiculous when the LA is +5 with 8 racial hit dice.

Variable Arcana
2007-02-28, 03:11 PM
True, but it can get ridiculous when the LA is +5 with 8 racial hit dice.
That's when you want to use a "monster-class" progression, ala Savage Species or Libris Mortis.

Person_Man
2007-02-28, 04:02 PM
That's when you want to use a "monster-class" progression, ala Savage Species or Libris Mortis.

Or better yet, just sit down with your DM and come up with a home brew version of the race which is weaker and on par with other PC standard races.

Piccamo
2007-02-28, 04:04 PM
Or better yet, just sit down with your DM and come up with a home brew version of the race which is weaker and on par with other PC standard races.

Yarr! Stupid 10 character limit.

Jack Mann
2007-02-28, 04:47 PM
Person, you don't need the first class level to play a lizard man. So long as it has racial hit dice, you're good to go. So, you could play an ECL 3 lizardman, though you'd have no class abilities. You'd essentially be identical to the lizardfolk entry presented in the MM, though you could choose a different feat, or spend your skill points differently.

Person_Man
2007-02-28, 06:11 PM
Person, you don't need the first class level to play a lizard man. So long as it has racial hit dice, you're good to go. So, you could play an ECL 3 lizardman, though you'd have no class abilities. You'd essentially be identical to the lizardfolk entry presented in the MM, though you could choose a different feat, or spend your skill points differently.

Really? Hmm, guess you're right. But you'd be an idiot to do so.

Jack Mann
2007-02-28, 06:18 PM
I never said it was a good idea, at least not in this case.

Talya
2007-02-28, 06:46 PM
Note that despite being equivalent to an epic challenge, a level 18 paladin with the half-celestial template (level adjustment +4, ECL 22) is not actually epic in all respects. Until they actually hit 20 hit dice, they get full benefit from BAB and saves. They don't switch to epic attack bonus or saves until ECL 25 (21 hit dice)

AtomicKitKat
2007-02-28, 11:45 PM
Note that despite being equivalent to an epic challenge, a level 18 paladin with the half-celestial template (level adjustment +4, ECL 22) is not actually epic in all respects. Until they actually hit 20 hit dice, they get full benefit from BAB and saves. They don't switch to epic attack bonus or saves until ECL 25 (21 hit dice)

Note that as of some time last year, they don't qualify for Epic Feats anymore, which just further gimps them.

Thomas
2007-03-01, 01:40 AM

Yeah, because (as I think I already said) everything except XP calculations are based on character level (hit dice, of which that paladin has 18).

LA and ECL are very, very simple if you have a basic understanding of what character level is ( = hit dice), and then read what LA and ECL are.

Note that as of some time last year, they don't qualify for Epic Feats anymore, which just further gimps them.

What do you mean, as of last year? If your character level is below 21, you obviously don't qualify as an epic character (even though your WBL and XP are the same as for an epic character of the same ECL with no LA), so you don't get epic feats etc.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-01, 01:49 AM
This seems like a good place to ask this...

Does a template acquired in the process of leveling (such as hitting level 10 of Dragon Disciple) increase your LA?

Thomas
2007-03-01, 01:53 AM
This seems like a good place to ask this...

Does a template acquired in the process of leveling (such as hitting level 10 of Dragon Disciple) increase your LA?

Obviously not.

The whole point of the Dragon Disciple (and of the Dread Necromancer) is that you gain the abilities of the template one by one. At 10th-level, the Dragon Disciple only gains another +4 Str, +2 Cha, +1 natural armor, low-light vision, 2d8 breath weapon damage, etc. You gained all the rest of the template during your levels.

Edit: Also, there's no way to handle suddenly dumping +X LA on a character. You'd lose class levels or something, because your ECL is suddenly Y, but you only have enough XP for ECL Y-X.

Jack Mann
2007-03-01, 01:58 AM
No, you paid for that via class levels.

EDIT: And Thomas is right in his analysis. Which is a pity, in the case of templates like lycanthropy, or the results of a reincarnation spell, where it's actually possible to gain both an LA and racial hit dice. There's no mechanism in place to deal with it.

kpenguin
2007-03-01, 02:13 AM
Just a question, but do you use LA on NPCs? As a DM, I found my monsters with class levels had wildly expensive equipment given their CR and I've stopped using LA altogether on NPCs. Is there a better way?

Thomas
2007-03-01, 02:19 AM
Monsters with class levels shouldn't get equipment for their racial HD, essentially. They should get CR-appropriate treasure. When you add class levels, it complicates the hell out of things. Adding LA before giving them equipment is definitely the wrong way to do it. I think there was a semi-official practice (or maybe just a really good suggestion on these forums?), but I forget what it is.

At the very most, only give them equipment for an NPC with a level equal to their CR. (Even that might merit a +1 CR increase, in some cases.)

Jack Mann
2007-03-01, 02:20 AM
No. The LA and CR are calculated separately. The abilities that give a creature its LA are already figured into the CR. As well, any template should give both LA and CR adjustments.

Zincorium
2007-03-01, 04:01 AM
Edit: Also, there's no way to handle suddenly dumping +X LA on a character. You'd lose class levels or something, because your ECL is suddenly Y, but you only have enough XP for ECL Y-X.

While I agree with the other things you say, this is easily solved. You're an ECL X (class levels) + Y (LA) and you don't have enough to reach X+1 class levels until you have enough experience to be X+Y+1 levels. Yes, it's a massive jump in power, and you'll be stuck where you are for a good long while as everyone else improves, but it makes a lot more game sense than losing class levels without another explanation. Remember, experience is a yardstick to when you learn more things, which is simplified into class levels in D&D. You don't need to learn and expand your horizons to become, say, a vampire. It just happens. However, further learning and such after you are a vampire becomes harder, and you need to adventure a lot more to improve upon what you know.

DMs should never just give a character a LA template without careful consideration and planning, and should never let the players acquire one without their full consent and guidance.

Thomas
2007-03-01, 05:13 AM
Yeah, the thing there is, if you do become, say, a vampire, you gain an immense and unfair amount of power, while for six levels the rest of the party works to catch up.

There's no good way to handle any of it.

(Although I think there were monster class progressions for various templates on the WotC site, but then it becomes somewhat idiotic. "Well, you became a vampire, but not you need to gain a level to get any of the abilities." Still, it's a better option.)

AtomicKitKat
2007-03-01, 10:41 AM
What do you mean, as of last year? If your character level is below 21, you obviously don't qualify as an epic character (even though your WBL and XP are the same as for an epic character of the same ECL with no LA), so you don't get epic feats etc.

Prior to the entry in the FAQ, the Epic Level Handbook had suggested that being ECL 21 was enough to qualify for Epic Feats(providing you met the other pre-requisites, such as skill ranks{which would usually stop anyone below 21 HD anyway}, or class features{like Sneak Attack 8d6, which would have stopped most unless they had natural Sneak Attack higher than 1d6 per 2 HD}). Using a Fighter 13/Blackguard 3 with +5 LA as an example. IMO, the old system was "fair", the new one simply whips any creature with a Level Adjustment even further into the realm of unplayability(not that Epic is particularly "playable" with the nonsense that is Epic Spellcasting).