PDA

View Full Version : Level Advancement Order

Rev666
2014-07-08, 12:52 PM
I'm currently playing a 3.5 game and the party's about to hit 2nd level (im a druid). My plan is to go the arcane hierophant route with a druid 4/wizard 3 for prerequisites but I'd like advice on what order to take my classes in. Do I go 4 levels of druid then 3 of wizard. Do I go druid 3 then wizard 3 then 4th in druid. Any advice is appreciated.

Khedrac
2014-07-08, 01:17 PM
Important first question - does your group use the Xp penalties for multi-classing? Most of the playground who mention them say they don't, but I have never met a group that didn't!

If you are using penalties then you cannot afford to take level 3 in one class before level 2 in the other.

Personally I would probably take them alternately - I think taking Wiz 1 will feel less like a dead level at druid 1/wiz 1 than druid 2/wiz 1.

Invader
2014-07-08, 01:35 PM
If you don't follow the aforementioned xp penalties I'd take all druid less first. You'll be a lot heartier and harder to kill.

Immabozo
2014-07-08, 01:35 PM
and i've never met a group that did use multi class exp penalty rules.

Personally, I would go druid 3, wizard 3, druid 1. This way, you'll get level 2 spells ASAP.

Invader
2014-07-08, 01:37 PM
and i've never met a group that did use multi class exp penalty rules.

Personally, I would go druid 3, wizard 3, druid 1. This way, you'll get level 2 spells ASAP.

This is also good, Def druid first though.

Immabozo
2014-07-08, 01:46 PM
Actually, I change my advice. Go for early entry cheese. Druid 4, Wizard 1 with precocious apprentice allows you to enter at level 6. Practiced Spellcaster will bring CL on arcane side up to snuff and then just rock the Arcane Hierophant

Rev666
2014-07-08, 01:49 PM
Important first question - does your group use the Xp penalties for multi-classing? Most of the playground who mention them say they don't, but I have never met a group that didn't.

We don't use penalties but im a human so it wouldn't of mattered anyway.

My question is in relation to whether I go solid druid, ergo boosting my companion to keep me alive, before going into wizard or getting wizard so I have a bit more variety that can help with circumstances that pop up.

Immabozo
2014-07-08, 01:54 PM
also, another (old) thread has this little nugget that I found to make you less MAD.

Any divine caster can also take Academic Priest (from Legend of the Twins) to change their spell casting stat to INT. Save DC's aren't affected, though, so you're still tied to WIS or even CHA for that.

Immabozo
2014-07-08, 01:55 PM
sorry for double post

My question is in relation to whether I go solid druid, ergo boosting my companion to keep me alive, before going into wizard or getting wizard so I have a bit more variety that can help with circumstances that pop up.

my above advice addresses this

Rev666
2014-07-08, 01:55 PM
Actually, I change my advice. Go for early entry cheese. Druid 4, Wizard 1 with precocious apprentice allows you to enter at level 6. Practiced Spellcaster will bring CL on arcane side up to snuff and then just rock the Arcane Hierophant

Except I need BAB +4 before I can go into arcane hierophant and doing it that way costs me 2 feats which id rather save (also I started as a druid and the precocious apprentice is a 1st level arcane caster only feat).

Immabozo
2014-07-08, 02:00 PM
Except I need BAB +4 before I can go into arcane hierophant and doing it that way costs me 2 feats which id rather save (also I started as a druid and the precocious apprentice is a 1st level arcane caster only feat).

On BAB, the skillful enchantment on a weapon will let you qualify. But, if you already started like that, then precocious apprentice wont work