PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help

Zellsantal
2014-07-08, 03:00 PM
Ok let me see if I can put a long story short, I'm playing with my dads game which at first I played as a half ogre fighter with only a LA+2. He was gotten up to level three before he died by a kobold npc which is one of some of the other npcs me and part saved. The Npc was played by one of the players and at the time I didn't know kobolds and ogres were enemys when I asked it to heal me because it was a 7th level cleric. So insteed of healing me it did wound on me which made me attack it but in doing so the other two kobold attack me as well and kills my half ogre. I roll's were sucky at the time so i couldn't hit the little ****ers lol.

Anyways because of this I had to come up with another character but with a new rule my dad put out that I roll to see what race I would play, guess what I end up rolling? Kobold lol! So one of the players try helping me out making up a character useing the stuff out of the book of nice swords to be a main triper and use intimidate but he would be forth level. On the next game I forgot how the character works and because i never used level of sword sage and such so i didn't know fully what to do and on top of that me and the group were fighting five level tens while three of us at the time were seventh level. My character died on that day but two other players let there characters die just so they come bring out there new ones. So I roled and end up being human made him a cleric since we had no healer but only thrid level and the others started have sixth. The two that came in with there new characters seem to have done more damage then I could have with my half ogre and on top of that gotten a new guy who is straight up sword sage and able to move around like crazy and teleport as well. Also able to do other stuff that make me feel like my class can hardly do anything. So in the group other then my cleric, we have one full sword sage, one druid who have yet to die yet. two characters which have sword sage and other class's which i cant remeber.

From my last game sunday I have gotten exp to get level 6, ya gotten three levels in one day lol and live for that matter. The class's from the nine swords seems to be over powerd and because really I don't want to use the class's for the soul reason there is to many in the party already and dont want to fallow that road. I am thinking of making just a straight out cleric that is mostly melee but I'm not so sure. So I'm asking if anyone could help me out of what I could do that might match up to what the class's of what the book of the nine swords can do.

Books I can only use are Player's 1 and 2, Book of the nine swords and DMG

Down below is my stats (yes I those are what I rolled lol), feets and armor and weapons.

Str: 18
Dex: 15
Con: 18
Int: 16
Wis: 18
Cha: 17

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Basterd Sword
Weapon Focus: Basterd Sword
Tower Shield Proficiency

(1) +1 Basterd Sword
+4 Full plate
(3) Javelins

If anyone have ideas what my 3-6 levels should be or some ideas of what might be good then please by all means let me know.

sideswipe
2014-07-09, 06:58 AM
wow you have more gold then a level 10 character i think.

honestly as a cleric, if you are building from the ground up and you have a druid and a swordsage they are frontline fighters.

an assisting role. i love the idea of a buffing cleric. just dont heal! unfortunatly you dont have access to divine meta magic.

i would then suggest taking cleric to level 7, and grabbing Thaumaturgist from DMG

there are better ways to do it but you dont have access to many books.

until then since you are level 6. focus on making sure you have the skill points and the correct feats.
you will still be useful because YOU ARE A CLERIC. and with limited books your even better. you can buff, do combat, heal, and de-buff enemies. depending on what you want.
i would take imbued summoning as a feat, then when you summon you get to cast a free spell on the summon to buff it.
and if it dies. oh well it was only one spell.

Segev
2014-07-09, 09:29 AM
Are you using a shield? Because if you're not, you don't need the EWP on the Bastard Sword. What domains does your cleric have? I'd look into clerics' native proficiencies and reconsider Weapon Focus on the Bastard Sword unless it's a feat you've gotten for free from a domain you wanted anyway.

Looking at the Cleric proficiencies, I actually think you should drop the EWP and the Weapon Focus unless you've got the War Domain and your deity's favored weapon is the Bastard Sword AND you're using a shield. If all of that is not true, it's a waste of two feat slots to get EWP and Weapon Focus for the Bastard Sword. Talk to your dad about trading those feats out for something else. Extend Spell might be a good one, especially if you can later convince your dad to let you pick up Persistant Spell and Divine Metamagic: Persistant Spell.

Weapon-wise, you are automatically proficient with simple weapons. If you're carrying a shield, then you want one-handed ones. If you're not, then go for a two-handed one. The Heavy Mace and the Morning Star are solid one-handed choices, and the Quarterstaff and the Spear are solid two-handed choices.

If you're going for a two-handed weapon, ignore the Quarterstaff's ability to be a double weapon. You don't want to invest the feats. For that reason, a spear might be a better choice. If you're not going to be on the front line, a longspear could be even better.

The reason to choose a two-handed weapon, if you're not using a shield, is that you get to add half-again your strength mod to damage when using a weapon in two hands. This means your damage with a spear or longspear would be 1d8+6. With a heavy mace, it'd be 1d8+4. (You have an 18 str.)

The longspear's advantage is that it has reach, so you could stand behind the swordsage or the druid or the druid's animal companion and attack things in front of them. But you will need to step back if anything comes into melee with you, because you can't attack things adjacent to you.

Particularly if you go for two-handed weapons, consider the Power Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#powerAttack) feat. If you can trade the exotic weapon proficiency and the weapon focus for Extend Spell and Power Attack, do so.

The reason you want Extend Spell is because it helps when you're a buff-caster. It doubles durations, making it easier to get two fights out of one casting of some spells, and making others last much closer to "all day" at lower level. It does cost +1 spell level, though, so be judicious.

Now, to spells. You're sixth level, now, so make sure to prepare Divine Favor. It's a first level spell, but it will give you +2 to hit AND to damage. It lasts for just about one combat (and really isn't worth Extending), but that will bring your damage with, say, a longspear up to 1d8+8. (And that's a non-magical longspear.)

You can also cast Greater Magic Weapon to give whatever you're wielding a +2 enhancement bonus. IF it's not already magical, that's +2 overall. IF it is, remember that the spell won't stack with the weapon's magical bonus; use only the better one. Still, it's probably a +1 over whatever you have. It would make a longspear that is +2 or lower do 1d8+10 damage per hit.

Bull's Strength is another good one. You might want that one for yourself AND your front-liners. +4 Str would be +3 to your damage (and +2 to your to-hit) with a two-handed melee weapon. (Damage with a longspear that is Greater Magic Weapon'd and while you're under Divine Favor and Bull's Strength goes up to 1d8+13.)

Look through the cleric spells carefully. There are some really good ones.

Hope this helps!

Zellsantal
2014-07-10, 03:06 AM
Segev- My domains is magic and travil as of right now though have no god right now. There is rules some were that i can have two of any domains as long have yet to pick a god but in doing so I dont get a free weapon skill. And yes I have a tower shield just I forgot to put that down on the list but you still need a feat in order to use it. I was trying to sword and board deal but with how much damge the sword sage and the other two class's in the book of nine swords it kinda makes me feel I did waist my feats and no I can't change them saidly. However I might try to get a god and change my domains which might help me some.

Sideswiper- Lol I only started with a +1 sword and +1 full plate, the +4 full plate was after fighting the four 10th level guys, two of them had that armor. In truth I never liked the idea of being a assisting role character but rather being some one who wants in the middle of the action. However your ideas does got my interest and I think I will give it a try.

Phelix-Mu
2014-07-10, 03:34 AM
Segev- My domains is magic and travil as of right now though have no god right now. There is rules some were that i can have two of any domains as long have yet to pick a god but in doing so I dont get a free weapon skill. And yes I have a tower shield just I forgot to put that down on the list but you still need a feat in order to use it. I was trying to sword and board deal but with how much damge the sword sage and the other two class's in the book of nine swords it kinda makes me feel I did waist my feats and no I can't change them saidly. However I might try to get a god and change my domains which might help me some.

Sideswiper- Lol I only started with a +1 sword and +1 full plate, the +4 full plate was after fighting the four 10th level guys, two of them had that armor. In truth I never liked the idea of being a assisting role character but rather being some one who wants in the middle of the action. However your ideas does got my interest and I think I will give it a try.

Don't worry so much. Cleric, even with extremely limited book resources still is one of the better classes in the game, and well-rounded besides. With a little work, you will pull up even and likely a bit ahead of the other characters in the party. Spells are just a better resource, even with restricted books.

sideswipe
2014-07-10, 05:17 AM

well the good thing about the build i suggested is that you are still in the middle of the action. but then you still have 1 or two powered up summons to control to hit people and you can then cast spells whilst not feeling your turn is wasted like i know a lot of people feel in a support role.

Zellsantal
2014-07-10, 11:39 AM
Sound good guys, thanks again for the help.

Segev
2014-07-10, 11:56 AM
If you have not yet spent the feat on Tower Shield Proficiency, I wouldn't bother. It's not worth it for the +2 AC. Since you can't trade out your feats spent on Bastard Sword, go ahead and use it...but I would keep in mind that even two-handing the bastard sword will give you 2 more damage than sword-and-boarding with it.

You may want to invest in a plain, ordinary longspear just as a fallback weapon so that you have access to a reach weapon, even if it's not what you use primarily.

I would plan for your next replacement character to be another cleric, but choose feats differently, but for now this one's workable.

Meanwhile, yes: your spells are going to be your biggest asset. Divine Favor is very, very good for you. Also look at Magic Vestment; it's more AC.

Between Divine Favor and Bull's Strength and Greater Magic Weapon, you should have a +15 to hit with your bastard sword, and be doing 1d10+10 with it one-handed. 1d10+13 if you wield it two-handed. Next level (7, unless I'm misremembering the level you said you were now), you gain access to Divine Power, which will set your BAB to your hit dice. This will give you two attacks per round and raise your to-hit to +18/+13.

JusticeZero
2014-07-10, 04:11 PM
Also, as far as healing goes, just buy a couple of wands of Cure Light Wounds and use them after each fight. Don't waste time in battle trying to heal people unless they are about to die without it and they just need that little bit more to get safe, like if people are down to zero and need to be stabilized or they got hit with something that does damage over time while they are trying to stand back and shoot arrows or something like that.
Your focus should always be on preventing people from getting hurt so you don't have to heal them. Dead enemies do no damage.

Segev
2014-07-11, 03:46 PM
Wands of Lesser Vigor are even better than wands of CLW; they heal 11 hp over 11 rounds.