PDA

View Full Version : Player Help gnome illusionist

pseudodragon
2014-07-08, 03:53 PM
I am attempting to come up with a gnomish illusionist character, at 8th level. It would be very nice if i could get some ideas for spells to use and any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day!

Inevitability
2014-07-09, 03:49 AM
A bit more information would be nice.

-What classes are your other party members?
-What is their level of optimization?
-Which books are allowed?
-What do you want this character to do? 'illusionist' is to broad.

GPuzzle
2014-07-09, 09:29 AM
I think there's four classes that can be a Illusionist: Illusionist Mage, Arcanist going for similar spells, Fey Pact and perhaps Star Pact Warlock and Cunning Bard/Resourceful Magician picking Wizard powers.

Honestly, Gnomes and Tieflings are your best bet.

Inevitability
2014-07-09, 11:49 AM
Actually, anything can be an illusionist if you fluff it properly, unless you are going to use powers with the Illusion keyword and feats that improve this.

GPuzzle
2014-07-09, 12:49 PM
I mean Illusionist in the sense of "Charm/Illusion", but I should've mentioned that the Enchanter Mage school as well as Enchanter Wizards are pretty powerful too.

Also, Tiefling with Vistani Heritage and the Divine Oracle Paragon Path with the feat Glaysa's Charming Words is utterly hilarious.

DOMINATE AND A CRIT!

pseudodragon
2014-07-09, 04:20 PM
the idea is that the character will have most, if not all, of his magic ability put into illusions. we are using forgotten realms rules, and the party is 4th level.

GPuzzle
2014-07-09, 04:56 PM

Again, be more precise.

I mean, in terms of at-wills, even when we're dealing with Illusions, they're pretty varied.

Kurald Galain
2014-07-14, 04:53 PM
Ok, so pick a Wizard as your class, Orb of Deception implement (or if you prefer, illusion/enchantment as your schools) and pick illusory spells such as these:

At will: Winged Horde, Beguiling Strands
1E: Grasping Shadows
1D: Phantom Chasm
2: Spectral Image
3: Color Spray
5: Visions of Avarice
6: Invis (although frankly, Wizard's Escape or Warp in the Weave are better)
7: Phantom Foes
9: Visions of Ruin