PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Portable hole v enveloping pit

Invader
2014-07-08, 04:26 PM
If you can UMD the alignment restriction on the pit is there any reason to choose the portable hole over it?

Since there's no real drawback to failing the check could you in effect take 20 as long as you have a 10 in UMD?

Gildedragon
2014-07-08, 04:29 PM
In order
Yes, that is part of the whole UMD schtick
Maybe: enveloping pit for storage of stuff is... impractical. Too big and difficult to access. It is good for making a small building inside though.
Yes

Invader
2014-07-08, 04:32 PM
In order
Yes, that is part of the whole UMD schtick
Maybe: enveloping pit for storage of stuff is... impractical. Too big and difficult to access. It is good for making a small building inside though.
Yes

The pit in question is going to be for my artificers dedicated wright. Won't really need easy access to it.

thethird
2014-07-08, 04:58 PM
You cant take 20 with umd

Gildedragon
2014-07-08, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah! there's the "Yes, but if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can’t try to activate that item again for 24 hours." condition.

Invader
2014-07-08, 05:26 PM
You cant take 20 with umd

I know that's why I said "in effect"

Invader
2014-07-08, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah! there's the "Yes, but if you ever roll a natural 1 while attempting to activate an item and you fail, then you can’t try to activate that item again for 24 hours." condition.

That is a slight drawback but it poses more of a RP problem than anything because I have a pretty decent UMD check so I don't think I'll have to worry about it to much but it's still good to know.

thethird
2014-07-08, 05:35 PM
Then "in effect" you can't take 20.

Sith_Happens
2014-07-08, 06:12 PM
If you can UMD the alignment restriction on the pit is there any reason to choose the portable hole over it?

Not really. Which is perfectly fine, you did put build resources into being able to do that after all.

Since there's no real drawback to failing the check could you in effect take 20 as long as you have a 10 in UMD?

You can try again, but you need to roll manually and if you roll a 1 before passing you're out of luck for 24 hours.

----------

Side note: The above answer assumes you can get an Enveloping Pit in the first place.

Relics are generally not available for purchase, nor will a character trying to sell one automatically find a buyer. These items are rarer than other magic items; usually no more than a half-dozen copies of each relic exist.

Then again, it's only one extra feat to be able to craft relics, so YMMV.

Invader
2014-07-08, 07:13 PM
Then again, it's only one extra feat to be able to craft relics, so YMMV.

Yeah I could take the feat, make the item, and train away the feat later I guess but still something to take into consideration because I was just going to buy it outright.