PDA

View Full Version : Beast Strike

Max Caysey
2014-07-08, 05:00 PM
Hi...

In Dragon Magazine 355 there is a feat called Beast Strike that says:

"When you make an unarmed attack or grapple check to deal damage you may ad your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strike or grapple damage"

So how does this work? Do I add both the dice and the str or just the dice?

So a normal punch would do 1d6 +4str. Would I then get (1d6+4) + (1d8+4) Or what?

I would very much like a explanation that even a dummy would understand. I seem not to grasp this at all.

Thanks!

Drelua
2014-07-08, 07:15 PM
I'm not sure, but I think it just adds the damage dice. I don't know though, looking at the issue it's really not worded very clearly.

What looks really cool to me is the Way of the Shackled Beast Style. It basically gives you pounce at level 6, at the strange cost of a basically useless feat.

Necroticplague
2014-07-08, 07:32 PM
You wouldn't add your STR to damage twice. So if you had 1d8 unarmed strike and 1d6 claw with 18 STR, with beast strike it produces an unarmed strike that does 1d8+1d6+4. Oddly enough, you can still use your claws afterwards in a full-round attack as secondary natural weapons.

Urpriest
2014-07-08, 08:56 PM
RAW, I think it would add Strength twice. The intent is probably to add just the dice though.

Necroticplague
2014-07-08, 09:25 PM
RAW, I think it would add Strength twice. The intent is probably to add just the dice though.

Nah, a weapons's damage is only its dice. For example, look at all the equipment listings The damage of a greatsword isn't 2d6+1.5STR, it's just 2d6, with the STR mod being a modifier to the damage seperate from the weapon.

Max Caysey
2014-07-09, 02:11 PM
Ok thanks...

Its quite a nice feat... not crazy, but its nice (better the bigger you are) when grapling or when being a feral monk.