PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Increasing Hardness/hp of materials up the wazoo

Balor01
2014-07-08, 07:17 PM
We are a level 4 party (Cleric, Cleric, Sorcerer) and I guess we just sundered/bashed/crashed through one too many chest/stone door/iron door and our DM got pissed and intends to enforce Hardness up the wazoo and a ton of hp for common wood, stone, iron, etc ...

His theory is that RAW and RAI have given things waaaay too low Hardness/hp and there is no good reason to NOT change that. Also he claims these things were introduced just for representation of sundering, acid attacks, etc.

Now, I really do not know what this changes (i like to bash stuff, obviously), so I ask here: How does fierce increase in Hardness/hp of all materials affect the game and is there any good reason to keep them at current levels?

thanks

Sorc
2014-07-08, 07:28 PM
Try admantine for starters, and Maybe take imp. Sunder feat

ktccd
2014-07-08, 08:54 PM
Depends on what you play as. Get Mountain hammer and he can increase hardness all he wants and it still goes down :P.

Also, I think RAI and RAW seem to be working as intended here, comparing how easily I can break things IRL with what's probably below avarage strength.
The problem is when you take a d&d barbarian or something, a dude that literally rips a guys head off like it was made of paper mache and wrestles things that are ten times larger than him... He's not going to have much problem dismantling a door or wall :/.

Flickerdart
2014-07-08, 08:57 PM
Your DM is still in the video game mentality of rickety wooden doors being an obstacle for mightly warriors. The challenge of a locked door is never "can you get through" but "how fast can you get through" - unless you're in an abandoned building, all that racket is going to attract unwelcome attention.

Crake
2014-07-08, 10:46 PM
Your DM is still in the video game mentality of rickety wooden doors being an obstacle for mightly warriors. The challenge of a locked door is never "can you get through" but "how fast can you get through" - unless you're in an abandoned building, all that racket is going to attract unwelcome attention.

Yeah, I think Flickerdart makes a good point, instead of increasing hardness when you break stuff, roll listen checks for nearby monsters. Players tend to stop smashing stuff when it attracts half the dungeon to their location and they end up fighting 3-4 CR appropriate encounters all at once.