PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help: Enlarging & Reducing different creature types

Oddman80
2014-07-08, 08:05 PM
I get Enlarge Person & Reduce Person both work on Humanoid types.
And I know Animal Growth works on animals.

Is there a spell that reduces the size of an animal (lets say you have a large Mount that you want to be able to come with you into smaller spaces)?
Are there spells that enlarge or reduce the size of other creature types? For Example:

Outsiders - in the case that said Mount had the Half-Celestial template applied.
Magical Beasts - in the case that a mount has been awakened

Names of spells and what books they can be found in would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RogueDM
2014-07-08, 10:26 PM
You could polymorph your horse into a pony. Druids get Reduce Animal which should also do the trick.

edit: I do find it odd that a wizard can enlarge and shrink a person, but can only enlarge an animal without making it a different animal.

Oddman80
2014-07-08, 11:36 PM
Who said anything about a horse? I'm not gonna be seen rollin in to combat on a 'horse'....
No, We're talking Magebread Dire Tiger Warbeast here... at a minimum. Also thought about a Chimeric Dire Tiger Warbeast just for s**** and giggles.

:-)

I will start scouring MIC for a wondrous item that might be able to do it.... If I can find a way to get shrink item to serve as the base spell for the wondrous item, and it affect the wearer regardless of type, that would potentially open up the whole pokemon style of tucked away mounts, that spring into full sized action with a command word.

Jeff the Green
2014-07-08, 11:52 PM
It doesn't exist, strictly speaking, but a constant universal item of compression would do it. 8,000 GP, by the guidelines. You could even drop it two sizes for 160,000 GP.

Thiyr
2014-07-09, 12:01 AM
afaik, there are no such spells in standard 3.5. I know there's the belt of growth in the MIC (don't have page reference offhand, but it's a 1/day enlarge on the wearer for 10 minutes, as if effected by enlarge person. should work on anything capable of activating it).

That said, personally I think the easiest answer is just making separate spells to do the same thing. Break the humanocetrism. Why wouldn't there be Enlarge/Reduce X at the same level?

Otherwise, expansion/reduction would do it if you can find a way to get it to effect them and have a duration of over 1 round (crawling tattoos always use minimum ML, sadly). If you can use PF material, a Vitalist can use Expansion through their collective, so that would work. No reduction, but there may be ways to fix that? Idunno, haven't looked too far into the class.

Oddman80
2014-07-09, 11:53 AM
Found it!
Arms & Equipment Guide - Shrink Collar
Rather than resizing to fit its wearer, as most wearable magic items do, this half-inch-wide metal collar studded with tiny jewels resizes its wearer. When worn, the collar grows to 2 inches wide, and the jewels enlarge to cover most of its surface. Regardless of his or her original size, the wearer shrinks to Small size, becoming around 3 feet in height and weighing no more than 60 pounds. None of the creature’s other attributes change. Unwilling targets get a Fortitude save (DC 11) to resist. If the save is successful, the collar snaps and is ruined.
A creature with Intelligence 2 or lower must succeed on a Will save (DC 11) or become panicked by the transformation. Animal companions do not have to make this save, nor do creatures that have the effect of the collar explained to them beforehand somehow, such as through telepathy or speak with animals.
Caster Level: 5th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, reduce; Market Price: 10,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb

No limitation on creature type that can use it.
No limitation to duration of use.
No change to any of the stats usually associated with size changes. (Attacks while in small house-cat form will do the same amount of damage as large magebred dire tiger warbeast form)

ooooohhhh... the possibilities.
It will be kind of funny seeing a house-cat sized tiger wearing a saddle, walking along side me... I could probably fashion a special quick release rip cord/leash, for dramatic collar removal effect.

Thiyr
2014-07-09, 12:21 PM
Note that its a bit misleading in name. It won't be housecat sized. It'll be halfling sized, because it sets size to. Also, you could put it on a housecat to make it grow. Still, better than nothing at least

Oddman80
2014-07-09, 12:59 PM
OK - so its more the size of a Lynx or Bobcat. Still be pretty amusing to see one with a saddle - i know i'd be curious about what type of tiny creature would typically ride it. I also like the idea of training it to 'heel' in a way in which she stands between my legs - that way, when the collar is removed, I'll instantly be mounted.

weckar
2014-07-09, 01:07 PM
I have to wonder whether that collar would stack with standard Reduce spells. Probably not... Actually, could the collar be used by naturally Small creatures to protect from size-changing magicks?

Curmudgeon
2014-07-09, 01:23 PM
(Attacks while in small house-cat form will do the same amount of damage as large magebred dire tiger warbeast form)

You'll only have a Small (rather than Tiny) house-cat if it's something like an ocelot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocelot). That worked for Honey West (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_West_%28TV_series%29):

http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/33791/7af838337906160.jpg (http://www.imagebam.com/image/7af838337906160)

RogueDM
2014-07-28, 11:15 AM
afaik, there are no such spells in standard 3.5.

I am staring at Reduce Animal (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/reduce-animal--2859/) in my 3.5 player's handbook. Does exactly what OP is looking for. Functions as Reduce Person except on a willing animal.

Doesn't help for outsiders and the like, you'll need to jump through some hoops for that, but so long as its still an animal you should be golden.

PS Apologies for thread necromancy, but I've been busy.