PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Warlock Archery (what?)

Snowbluff
2014-07-08, 10:33 PM
So, something I've pointed out recently is the use of the broad Aptitude Weapon reading with Eldritch Claws and Beast Strike. Essentially, you make claws out of your eldritch blast that deal your weapon dice in addition to your eldritch blast damage. After that, you apply to your weapon (formerly unarmed strike, via beast strike). At level 20, a warlock does ~40 damage with a longbow before any juicy archer bonuses or items. Sure, you miss out on the touch attacks, but you gain a larger range and iterative attacks.

So I though about it a bit, and decided this would be cool for archers. Pick up Rapid Shot, Beast Strike, Eldritch Strike, and a feat for a custom weapon (Ancestral Relic or Item Familiar, for example), and you can do a decent chunk of damage with little work and a minor piece of cheese.

malonkey1
2014-07-09, 12:15 AM
I remember that thread. I wonder if anybody else has happened upon this interpretation of Aptitude weapons?

Thiyr
2014-07-09, 12:32 AM
Honestly, that doesn't seem terribly broad of a reading*. No different from the reading of most of the style feats, tbh. Now, if you can get aptitude on your fists somehow, you could totally use rapidshot while punching things. That's a bit more of a broad-reading type bit.

Still, nice catch on Beast Strike, never considered that with aptitude in mind. I've been meaning to try and come up with a good list of things to use aptitude with, but I've been lazy. Will have to keep that in mind though.

*Edit: Though I think I see what you mean, it's kinda silly that you can grow a pair of claws and then shoot thing harder. I just kinda chalk it up to "Why does Str improve guns in video games". Other fun things that give me that reaction? knockback + dungeoncrasher + stormguard warrior. Never need to damage things to do knockback, just to take off for power attack. Touch attack tap SLAM INTO WALL. All my teehees.

Snowbluff
2014-07-09, 04:52 AM
This is opposed to the narrow reading, which is it only works for feats that only let you select one weapon, like weapon focus.

As far as making sense goes, you're actually focusing your eldritch might through a specialized weapon. It makes sense to me.

I remember that thread. I wonder if anybody else has happened upon this interpretation of Aptitude weapons?

Probably. :smalltongue:

Malroth
2014-07-09, 05:18 AM
If you could somehow get into Unseen Seer without loosing warlock casting I can see this being a REALLY nasty sniper especially if you have enough feats leftover to allow the immeidate action, no penalty Darkness SLA hide checks from Drow of the Underdark.

Thiyr
2014-07-09, 09:33 AM
This is opposed to the narrow reading, which is it only works for feats that only let you select one weapon, like weapon focus.

As far as making sense goes, you're actually focusing your eldritch might through a specialized weapon. It makes sense to me.

Probably. :smalltongue:

Ah, see, I call that the moderate reading. There's the narrow version, as described (Which personally falls into the "why would I bother unless I'm hunting for weapon abilities and am otherwise limited for some reason"), there's the moderate (as you described, where it applies to feats that key off of specific kinda of weapons, chosen or not (Which I find to be good, though admittedly open to abuse. Barring lightning maces, I don't tend to have issues with it, though, even if it becomes a build-centric enhancement). Then there's the broad reading I've never seen anyone else but myself propose, where you realize it says "type of weapon" and doesn't specify what it means by type at all, so you apply it to pretty much any weapon-based feat (light/1hand/2hand are types of weapons, melee/ranged are types of weapons, simple/martial/exotic are types of weapons. Blud/Slash/Pierce are types of weapons. Rapid shot with your fists for a pseudo-flurry! Point Blank Shot on your greatsword! All the feats!). Extra broad, but at a quick glance doesn't open up too many more holes than the moderate approach (though as noted above, there are still some perks.)

And yea, Not saying I can't justify arrowclaws, just that the idea "Well, i grew claws. Now, I know how to punch things with them, so with a dash of magic, I can now shoot things WITH MY CLAWS AWW YEAAAA." It's like being a kensai and enchanting your fists with throwing :P

Snowbluff
2014-07-09, 12:15 PM
I guess there are bunch of ways to look at it. :smallbiggrin:

If you could somehow get into Unseen Seer without loosing warlock casting I can see this being a REALLY nasty sniper especially if you have enough feats leftover to allow the immeidate action, no penalty Darkness SLA hide checks from Drow of the Underdark.

That's absolutely brutal. It's a bit tricky for a warlock to qualify, though. IIRC, See the Unseen and All Seeing Eyes are very good, since they'll help you find targets and get past the 2 divination requirements. You'll need a first level spell, either way, so Maybe Magical Training and Precocious Apprentice are the right was to go.