PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic and Prestige question

RogueDM
2014-07-08, 11:59 PM
Preface: I attempted to search out the answer to this question on the "incredible edible internet", however the key words appear in too many other threads to be of any use to me.

Speaking in generality; if a prestige class has the requirement that the character must be able to cast a 3rd level [descriptor Y] spell, and the only way your character meets this req is courtesy of a metamagic would they have to wait until they can fix the metamagic to a 3rd level spell, or until the resulting spell is 3rd level.

I found a bit of FAQ that said to use whatever is most disadvantageous to the caster, but that was specifically talking about the raw mechanics and made no mention of prestige reqs. I figure it would use the same rule, but I wanted to get the playground's opinion.

A) The spell must be of 3rd level before modification and have the necessary descriptor

or

B) So long as you are able to achieve the result of a 3rd level spell with the required descriptor it works

Cheers!

Divide by Zero
2014-07-09, 12:02 AM
Much like it won't increase a spell's DC, metamagic won't let you meet a requirement like that, because it doesn't raise the spell's actual level, just the slot it takes. Unless it's Heighten Spell, in which case it works by RAW but ask your DM just in case.

RogueDM
2014-07-09, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I didn't think so. Nothing that I'm taking to the table, was just fiddling with a character build. Thanks, Zero.