PDA

View Full Version : Boosting Ability Damage

Hazrond
2014-07-09, 02:34 AM
So if a creature has a natural ability damage attack like say a shadow how would one go about boosting said damage, are there any feats or such that can do this? (checked libris mortis, no dice there :smallfrown:)

Nettlekid
2014-07-09, 02:37 AM
You must not have looked through Libris Mortis too hard. (http://dndtools.eu/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-undead--71/empowered-ability-damage--859/)

Hazrond
2014-07-09, 02:40 AM
You must not have looked through Libris Mortis too hard. (http://dndtools.eu/feats/libris-mortis-the-book-of-undead--71/empowered-ability-damage--859/)

Apparently so :smallbiggrin: sadly this my shadow was a bad example, i need a way to boost it without being undead

Nettlekid
2014-07-09, 02:41 AM
Apparently so :smallbiggrin: sadly this my shadow was a bad example, i need a way to boost it without being undead

Ah, yeah, that would be a big difference. What are you using? Like, why not just tell us the entirety of what ability damage you're doing, the method by which you're doing it, and what your goal is (in case raising the number isn't the only way to get there)?

Hazrond
2014-07-09, 02:47 AM
Ah, yeah, that would be a big difference. What are you using? Like, why not just tell us the entirety of what ability damage you're doing, the method by which you're doing it, and what your goal is (in case raising the number isn't the only way to get there)?

Well im making a Joystealer character for another game (Incorporeal Fey with a Cha Damaging touch) and i was wondering how i could boost his cha damage since once they hit 0 Cha they go into a coma (isnt that how the rules work for mental scores?)

Nettlekid
2014-07-09, 03:03 AM
Well im making a Joystealer character for another game (Incorporeal Fey with a Cha Damaging touch) and i was wondering how i could boost his cha damage since once they hit 0 Cha they go into a coma (isnt that how the rules work for mental scores?)

I thought it might be something like that. Do you have a plan for your class? Because I would go not with boosting the damage from each attack, but getting more attacks. Like using a Factotum's Cunning Surge to make many touch attacks all at once, or using methods to get extra attacks (anything that would work with a natural weapon, so unfortunately I think the usual Telflammar Shadowlord is out of the question, though look at Blood Wind (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/blood-wind--3975/) and think about combining that with the full attacks granted by Telflammar Shadowlord) to up the number.

Hazrond
2014-07-09, 03:10 AM
I thought it might be something like that. Do you have a plan for your class? Because I would go not with boosting the damage from each attack, but getting more attacks. Like using a Factotum's Cunning Surge to make many touch attacks all at once, or using methods to get extra attacks (anything that would work with a natural weapon, so unfortunately I think the usual Telflammar Shadowlord is out of the question, though look at Blood Wind (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/blood-wind--3975/) and think about combining that with the full attacks granted by Telflammar Shadowlord) to up the number.

I have yet to pick an actual class but this will mostly be a low level tactic before i get ghost touch, i would like to not have to devote more than a feat or two at most to this if you could pull that off :smallwink:

Jeff the Green
2014-07-09, 03:44 AM
Not strictly increasing damage, but Touch of Taint would let you give them Depravity, which can manifest in all sorts of fun ways. If they have a low enough Wisdom enough touches will drive them irretrievably insane.

Bronk
2014-07-09, 11:57 AM
You can slightly increase your charisma damage by becoming a rogue and taking the 'maiming strike' feat from Exemplars of Evil. With that, sneak attack with your touch attack, then for every 2d6 of SA damage you forgo you deal an extra 1 point of Charisma damage.

Otherwise, the extra sneak attack damage would manifest as negative energy damage instead of ability damage.

You could, on the other hand, take the 'debilitating strike' feat from Heroes of Horror and add either 2 Con or 4 Wis damage 2/day instead.

You could also try to increase your crit range to double your ability damage that way...

Also also, dream creatures deal charisma damage with their attacks... maybe you don't need to be a joystealer?

supersonic29
2014-07-09, 12:23 PM
You can slightly increase your charisma damage by becoming a rogue and taking the 'maiming strike' feat from Exemplars of Evil. With that, sneak attack with your touch attack, then for every 2d6 of SA damage you forgo you deal an extra 1 point of Charisma damage.

Otherwise, the extra sneak attack damage would manifest as negative energy damage instead of ability damage.

You could, on the other hand, take the 'debilitating strike' feat from Heroes of Horror and add either 2 Con or 4 Wis damage 2/day instead.

You could also try to increase your crit range to double your ability damage that way...

Also also, dream creatures deal charisma damage with their attacks... maybe you don't need to be a joystealer?

I was reading through this and you struck me with that thing about dream creatures - what book are dream creatures from? Google just gave me a bunch of links to weird homebrew stuff.

Bronk
2014-07-09, 02:29 PM
I think I mixed that one up... looks like it was something I used from the old 'Bastion of Broken Souls' adventure and it was wisdom damage. Sorry about that!