PDA

View Full Version : TWF and an odd combo

Doc_Outlands
2007-02-27, 09:45 PM
Can a PC with TWF utilize a halberd and a spiked gauntlet as his weapon combo?

oriong
2007-02-27, 09:49 PM
No, a halberd is a two handed weapon and takes up both hands. Although you may wear a spiked gauntlet while using a halberd you may not attack with it without at least one hand free.

However, I believe it would be legal to use armor spikes instead, but it would be a very bad combo (a halberd only can attack those more than 5 feet away, while armor spikes can only be used on those within 5 feet).

cupkeyk
2007-02-27, 09:49 PM
That's actually a standard build but no, you can't TWF a halberd and a spiked gauntlet. You can hold the halberd (not wield it) in one hand and attack with your spiked gauntlet.

cupkeyk
2007-02-27, 09:58 PM
No, a halberd is a two handed weapon and takes up both hands. Although you may wear a spiked gauntlet while using a halberd you may not attack with it without at least one hand free.

However, I believe it would be legal to use armor spikes instead, but it would be a very bad combo (a halberd only can attack those more than 5 feet away, while armor spikes can only be used on those within 5 feet).

Halberds no longer has reach in 3.5

and armor spikes still count as off hand attacks, but I guess it could work... o_0

Dark Tira
2007-02-27, 09:59 PM

Actually, Halberds are not reach weapons, but it's not uncommon to make the assumption that they are.

Cupkeyk, beat me to it.

and armor spikes only deal damage on a grapple.
they can be used as a seperate attack as well.

oriong
2007-02-27, 10:02 PM
Interesting, hadn't noticed that. But armor spikes can be used as a melee weapon:

You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)

And while it does forbid their use as a second off hand weapon, it doesn't forbid combination with two handed weapons.

cupkeyk
2007-02-27, 10:07 PM
Yup I editted and corrected myself after checking on it.

I looked it up and Spinning halberd's butt attack is not an offhand attack. So a Armorspiked TWF Fighter with a spinning halberd can stack the additional attacks.