PDA

View Full Version : Will never look at Calvin and Hobbes the same way.

Antonok
2014-07-09, 06:22 AM
http://m.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-seecalvin-and-hobbes

Bad thing to read when you first wake up. :smalleek:

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-07-09, 09:17 AM
That was a really sweet story idea. :smallsmile:

Frozen_Feet
2014-07-09, 09:31 AM
What was so bad about that?

It's not like Hobbes ate Calvin's soul or took him to Hell or anything.

The Glyphstone
2014-07-09, 11:14 AM
That was very nice. Bittersweet, sure, but not bad.

Antonok
2014-07-09, 11:53 AM
That was very nice. Bittersweet, sure, but not bad.

I read it not 15 minutes after waking up lol. Bit of a depressing way to start your day

Math_Mage
2014-07-09, 04:19 PM
Another epilogue:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_oB0B92Rd5U/Tt22ykWv06I/AAAAAAAAI-E/8sKSsf8Crcw/s1600/calvin-hobbes-the-next-generation-12163-1305234427-102.jpg

SiuiS
2014-07-09, 04:50 PM
I don't get what's sad about this at all? He took his first step to another adventure. You can't stop the signal.

warty goblin
2014-07-10, 09:58 AM
If I get to die half that well, I'll count myself lucky.

Traab
2014-07-10, 11:57 AM
I actually read a fanfiction similar to that. Only in this case, susie derkins died leaving calvin with their daughter about child calvins age. He took hobbes to her and told her about how special he was, and as he left, he heard her talking to hobbes about how they could get tuna fish later. It was this whole touching thing with a little bit of wonderment at the end, (Calvin never mentioned Hobbes love of tuna fish to his daughter)

Of course, I always preferred the theory that Fight Club was about a grown up Calvin and the new form Hobbes took after being ignored for so long. :smallbiggrin: You dont ignore tigers man, it never ends well.

Dienekes
2014-07-10, 12:40 PM
Not bad, though this is still my favorite ending for Calvin and Hobbes

http://copingkoala.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/if-calvin-took-ritalin1.png

Nerd-o-rama
2014-07-10, 12:47 PM

Wow dude.

Wow.

Metahuman1
2014-07-10, 12:47 PM

I think that one depresses me more then the one were he dies.

t209
2014-07-10, 01:10 PM
Another epilogue:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_oB0B92Rd5U/Tt22ykWv06I/AAAAAAAAI-E/8sKSsf8Crcw/s1600/calvin-hobbes-the-next-generation-12163-1305234427-102.jpg
So I wonder why I kept thinking about other Generational sagas?
i.e- Roots, Gundam Ages, Fire Emblem: Genealogy of Holy War, and American Pop.

Psyren
2014-07-10, 03:33 PM

Haha I love that one :smallbiggrin:

But the OP's is good too.

Socratov
2014-07-10, 06:53 PM
good ending. Now please excuse me I have to clear my eyes of some dust particles which have curiously flown into my eyes suddenly...

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-07-10, 07:00 PM

I definitely find this one to be the most powerful of them all.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-07-10, 07:16 PM
Haha I love that one :smallbiggrin:

That reaction implies it was funny.

Is that the canon ending? It's got Waterson's signature.

Math_Mage
2014-07-10, 07:19 PM
The canon ending is the first panel of the comic I linked--"Let's go exploring!" That's the last panel of the last comic in the complete Calvin & Hobbes canon.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-07-10, 07:25 PM
The canon ending is the first panel of the comic I linked--"Let's go exploring!" That's the last panel of the last comic in the complete Calvin & Hobbes canon.

Ah. Then is this one maybe the start of an arc, or panels from different comics?

CarpeGuitarrem
2014-07-10, 07:27 PM
It was probably done as an authentic-looking comic in order to make a point. I'm fairly certain Watterson didn't do it.

Ramza00
2014-07-10, 07:27 PM

I just want to point out that is a fan made comic and not any of the Bill Waterson (the cartoonist who wrote and draw Calvin and Hobbes) creations.

------

And speaking as a person who has ADHD and it was not diagnosed until I was an adult (even though childhood and teenage years were hell in some areas and I definitely had it even then I just got by with raw intelligence)...I get like :smallfurious: this when I see that comic. Drugs such as Ritalin do not rob Calvin of his individuality, he would still want to play with Hobbes just as much, he would still imagine all those crazy world and he would still be the hero in all of them. The only difference is that if Calvin did want to focus on his school work he could if he wanted to. Instead of looking at the book report and doing this..

tearing your hair out for it is tiring doing all those procedural details...
and just thinking about all the rules with spelling and grammar...
and how you have to hold the pencil just right when you write or Miss Wormwood will yell at you for your handwriting...
I wonder if she would again make that funny face when she is speaking to me...
and how she just had that glare because of yesterday...
yesterday was so much fun for I put a thumb tack on Susie Derkins chair...
but she got me back for she threw a snowball at me...
but even though the aliens are attacking Spaceman Spiff, Spiff fights valiantly on with his blaster...
suddenly his local herbivore donkus with which he was riding crumples and Spiff falls into the snow. Some aliens must have hit it with their ray guns...
I will avenge you donkus, Spiff ducks for he realized he made it easier for the aliens to figure out his position
pew, pew, pew and another alien crumples in the snow when Spiff blaster gorges the alien's right shoulder...
suddenly you hear the earth tremble and Spiff turns around to see a giant monster approach him from behind...
It looks like a t-rex but it had 4 tentacles where normally the claws will be.
The mighty wormasurus approaches, smelling the fresh meat that was once donkus. Spiff though will not back down he aims his blaster...
Only to point it straight at Miss Wormwood's face...
The chronicles of spaceman spiff will continue next week ...

Calvin is six, and he acts like many six year olds would. You probably can't be sure he is ADHD...yet but if still acts like he does, acts like a 6 or 7 year old when he is 10, that is a different story. ADHD kids have some of their brain development delay by about 30%. It is always certain parts of the brain and those parts are the ones that causes you to focus, or to create your own inner motivation, and deal with time management, and resisting your impulses. It is those parts of the brain that allow you ability to focus in the short term, even though the short term task is boring, for in the long run the awards a few hours, days, weeks, or months ahead in the future will give you a reward for all that hard work.

Ritalin would give Calvin the ability to focus if Calvin wants too, it would not rob Calvin of his personality, it would not stop him daydream if Calvin wants too, it would not stop Calvin's sarcasm or his sharp wit. It would just give Calvin the ability to focus if he wanted too. Maybe he is doing the book report for if he does not finish it, his mom won't let him go outside with Hobbes until he is finished. Daydream will then be counterproductive for he can have more fun outside.

------

Also drugs such as Ritalin are no longer given to children, instead almost all doctors will instead give out Concerta or another time release drug. Concerta and Ritalin are both the same drug chemically but Concerta uses a little pump which gives you the drug slowly on a time released system so you have far less side effects. It affects the brain in the same way but it is far more even and thus far better.

Hiro Protagonest
2014-07-10, 07:29 PM
It was probably done as an authentic-looking comic in order to make a point. I'm fairly certain Watterson didn't do it.

Alright, just covering all bases.

Dienekes
2014-07-10, 07:37 PM
That reaction implies it was funny.

Because it is. Maybe it's entirely because I'm a horrible person, but the whole set up is flawlessly dark and the reactions of the people on this thread about it always give me a chuckle.

Also Ramzao, I have no opinion on the matter myself, I assume you know what you're talking about. Never took Ritalin, never knew anyone who did and talked about it growing up.

Fiery Diamond
2014-07-10, 07:38 PM
http://m.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-seecalvin-and-hobbes

Bad thing to read when you first wake up. :smalleek:

I teared up. That was so sad but so sweet. :smallfrown:

Another epilogue:

This made me smile. I could totally see this as the beginning of something new. :smallbiggrin:

What is wrong with you? :smallyuk:

Dienekes
2014-07-10, 08:10 PM
What is wrong with you? :smallyuk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcinzmfZeCc

Ravian
2014-07-10, 08:44 PM
I just want to point out that is a fan made comic and not any of the Bill Waterson (the cartoonist who wrote and draw Calvin and Hobbes) creations.

------

And speaking as a person who has ADHD and it was not diagnosed until I was an adult (even though childhood and teenage years were hell in some areas and I definitely had it even then I just got by with raw intelligence)...I get like :smallfurious: this when I see that comic. Drugs such as Ritalin do not rob Calvin of his individuality, he would still want to play with Hobbes just as much, he would still imagine all those crazy world and he would still be the hero in all of them. The only difference is that if Calvin did want to focus on his school work he could if he wanted to. Instead of looking at the book report and doing this..

tearing your hair out for it is tiring doing all those procedural details...
and just thinking about all the rules with spelling and grammar...
and how you have to hold the pencil just right when you write or Miss Wormwood will yell at you for your handwriting...
I wonder if she would again make that funny face when she is speaking to me...
and how she just had that glare because of yesterday...
yesterday was so much fun for I put a thumb tack on Susie Derkins chair...
but she got me back for she threw a snowball at me...
but even though the aliens are attacking Spaceman Spiff, Spiff fights valiantly on with his blaster...
suddenly his local herbivore donkus with which he was riding crumples and Spiff falls into the snow. Some aliens must have hit it with their ray guns...
I will avenge you donkus, Spiff ducks for he realized he made it easier for the aliens to figure out his position
pew, pew, pew and another alien crumples in the snow when Spiff blaster gorges the alien's right shoulder...
suddenly you hear the earth tremble and Spiff turns around to see a giant monster approach him from behind...
It looks like a t-rex but it had 4 tentacles where normally the claws will be.
The mighty wormasurus approaches, smelling the fresh meat that was once donkus. Spiff though will not back down he aims his blaster...
Only to point it straight at Miss Wormwood's face...
The chronicles of spaceman spiff will continue next week ...

Calvin is six, and he acts like many six year olds would. You probably can't be sure he is ADHD...yet but if still acts like he does, acts like a 6 or 7 year old when he is 10, that is a different story. ADHD kids have some of their brain development delay by about 30%. It is always certain parts of the brain and those parts are the ones that causes you to focus, or to create your own inner motivation, and deal with time management, and resisting your impulses. It is those parts of the brain that allow you ability to focus in the short term, even though the short term task is boring, for in the long run the awards a few hours, days, weeks, or months ahead in the future will give you a reward for all that hard work.

Ritalin would give Calvin the ability to focus if Calvin wants too, it would not rob Calvin of his personality, it would not stop him daydream if Calvin wants too, it would not stop Calvin's sarcasm or his sharp wit. It would just give Calvin the ability to focus if he wanted too. Maybe he is doing the book report for if he does not finish it, his mom won't let him go outside with Hobbes until he is finished. Daydream will then be counterproductive for he can have more fun outside.

------

Also drugs such as Ritalin are no longer given to children, instead almost all doctors will instead give out Concerta or another time release drug. Concerta and Ritalin are both the same drug chemically but Concerta uses a little pump which gives you the drug slowly on a time released system so you have far less side effects. It affects the brain in the same way but it is far more even and thus far better.

I'll be honest that I'm not exactly well-versed on the effects of Ritalin, (though I did take some medication for a period to aid with a few minor focus problems that have since subsided) I always assumed that the comic was more of a commentary on how quick society and some doctors are to label childish imagination as a behavioral disorder. If Calvin did have a behavioral disorder, than yes, medications like Ritalin and Concerta would likely be beneficial for him. But I believe that Bill Waterson was simply writing about a young boy with an active imagination and a dislike for the tedium of school, things perfectly normal for a boy his age but now commonly decided to be symptoms of a condition. Whatever the effects of Ritalin or similar drugs upon them, it's not something that should be given out like candy to children who don't need it, instead of looking for alternative teaching methods to engage them.

Ramza00
2014-07-10, 09:19 PM
I'll be honest that I'm not exactly well-versed on the effects of Ritalin, (though I did take some medication for a period to aid with a few minor focus problems that have since subsided) I always assumed that the comic was more of a commentary on how quick society and some doctors are to label childish imagination as a behavioral disorder. If Calvin did have a behavioral disorder, than yes, medications like Ritalin and Concerta would likely be beneficial for him. But I believe that Bill Waterson was simply writing about a young boy with an active imagination and a dislike for the tedium of school, things perfectly normal for a boy his age but now commonly decided to be symptoms of a condition. Whatever the effects of Ritalin or similar drugs upon them, it's not something that should be given out like candy to children who don't need it, instead of looking for alternative teaching methods to engage them.

I am not disagreeing, I am in complete agreement. What Calvin is doing is completely normal for a 6 year old. If he was 10 or 12 and he still acted that way it would be different.

Calvin shows many traits that people associate with ADHD, but that does not mean he is ADHD for correlation is not causation. I don't know if Calvin is ADHD nor do I care, Calvin is awesome and that is all that should matter about a 6 year old.

A diagnosis of ADHD should never happen (and if you follow the DSM criteria it won't happen) until several difficulties and impairments are happening in that person's life. Calvin at the age of 6 hasn't really shown any impairments yet. But if he still acts like a 6 year old when he is 10 though he will have impairments in his life for peoples expectations of 10 year olds, and how schools work, and how people interact with each other including 10 year olds with 10 year olds is different than 6 year olds and 6 year olds. No diagnosis should be given to a kid until their is a diagnosis, and no medication should be given until you try structural and behavioral changes first.

Finally no medication should be given to a child without the parents agreement, and if the child is old enough to understand they too should be on the same page. If the child disagrees the parents and doctors should spend the time and energy explaining why this is important.

-----

(I am not trying to sound preachy, and if this annoys or bores you please skip)

That said why ADHD happens is two things that work in concert
1) Certain parts of the brain are underutilized, being only used about 75% compared to the normal population (we know this from brain scans which only in the last 20 years can show it, before hand we only suspected but now we have actual evidence instead of theories), these parts of the brain are underutilized for your brain has dozens of neurotransmitters it uses to function, and each neurotransmitter activates a certain part of the brain and ADHD people have problems not making those two neurotransmitters but actually using those neurotransmitters it already made.
2) Certain parts of the brain of ADHD people grow slower than non ADHD people, other parts of the brain grow faster (the motor activity part, which is why some kids are very hyperactive as kids but that same ADHD person as an adult is not hyperactive compared to the normal population). Eventually number 2 will even out but we are talking when the person is approaching 30 while in the normal population this is the part of the brain finish growing from 20 to 25.

ADHD drugs increase the electrical activity in the brain in the parts that are underutilized. They do this by one of two ways (some drugs do both at the same time I will get to how the drugs work after this paragraph but I have to explain how the brain works at first.) Our brain stores neurotransmitters that are not in use in a sorta "closet" (my word the technical word is synaptic vesicle which is part of the nerve cell synapse). When the brain wants to create electricity, allowing one cell to talk to another it releases those neurotransmitters and they sit in the brain's blood (brain's blood is called Cerebrospinal Fluid) and once enough have been released they bind to the cell's receptors and then the cell sends the electricity. After the cell sends the electricity it releases the neurotransmitters and little vacuum pumps called reuptake receptors and eventually the neurotransmitters are put back into the closet so they can be used again. If the brain blood (CSF) had these chemicals always out the brain would always be producing electricity and the brain would overheat or have a seizure, thus you have to remove the neurotransmitters not in use so this does not happen, but if you remove them too fast or too many of them then it is harder for the brain to produce electricity and use that part of the brain.

ADHD drugs for the most part do one of these two things or both.
1) They make it easier for the closets, to release the chemical in the first place. These type of drugs are called Releasing Agent.
2) They block some but not all of those vacuum pumps, the reuptake receptors so the neurotransmitters stay in the blood longer, these are called Reuptake Inhibitors.

The stimulants to treat ADHD are reuptake inhibitors or that also are releasing agents as well. There are non stimulants drugs out there to treat ADHD as well, some of the non stimulant drugs are similar to antidepressants for most antidepressants are selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors. The neurotransmitters people with ADHD have problems with are dopamine and norepinephrine. There are also some heart medications out their that treat ADHD for they affect norepinephrine in an indirect way.