Oh, that's good!

Zienth

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-27, 10:35 PM
Amazing...*grins*...

FlyMolo
2007-02-27, 10:36 PM
Yes. It's beautiful.

Parson makes a great ninja in panel two. "It's got nothing on Wanda's".

Hee hee. What a great comic.

EndgamerAzari
2007-02-27, 10:37 PM
Oops, looks like we're gonna have to wait to see Wanda's interrogation techniques... heh heh heh...

Duffren
2007-02-27, 10:37 PM
I like Bogroll's *wink* to Stanley and Parson's *blink*'s.

Arya_of_Evern
2007-02-27, 10:38 PM
Pretty much anything with Princess Bride in it is gold *smirk*

DCR
2007-02-27, 10:39 PM
Had a thought - what if Parson intro'd RTS to Erfworld? Nah, destroys a premise, but still.... what if?

Parson, the quick wit. Reminds me of me sometimes. Not funny until somebody else says something I can twist, warp or take out of context.

Kanthalion
2007-02-27, 10:41 PM
Anybody want a peanut?

TinSoldier
2007-02-27, 10:42 PM
That was fun... I just like Parson more and more.

dragongirl13
2007-02-27, 10:44 PM
Ha ha ha... "Inconceivable!" Ha ha hahahahahahaha!

That is the BEST Erfworld so far. It's getting better! Yay!

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-02-27, 10:46 PM
Aw. Poor Bogroll. Even Wanda tricks him. And he's so obedient. He's a perfect lackey, really. And they do these things to him. Yeah, I feel sorry for him. :smallfrown:

But I got admit that Wanda has a razor sharp sense of humor. Much better than Stanley's, I think. :smallamused:

Teacher
2007-02-27, 10:46 PM
In panel 2 Parson is in a dueling stance. From princess bride.

TheOtherMC
2007-02-27, 10:47 PM
WHOOO! Princesss Bride!

"Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!"

Oh Vizzini.....

The_Chilli_God
2007-02-27, 10:48 PM
After all of these references, I'm finding it quite sad to have never seen this "Princess Bride" movie.

Mind you, I found the "wink" "blink" thing the funniest. Comedic Comic Timing at its somewhat-better-than-average.

TinSoldier
2007-02-27, 10:48 PM
Wait... I thought that one of Wanda's weaknesses was sense of humor"?

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-27, 10:49 PM
Just great, now I have the Sicilian from Princess Bride doing the voiceovers for His Toolship in my head...

Marbits vs the Second Gobwin Infantry in the tunnels...

And yea... I about bust a gut laughingat that last jibe...

We still haven't seen Bogroll next to Parson to get a size comparison yet

TinSoldier
2007-02-27, 10:49 PM
After all of these references, I'm finding it quite sad to have never seen this "Princess Bride" movie.Inconceivable!

zapperchamp
2007-02-27, 10:50 PM
Yeah, Wanda didn't think it was a joke.

"Inconcievable!" Heh. Wonder if Parson will bring Erfworld out of the dark ages and into the "modern" realtime?

Devoured_Dude
2007-02-27, 10:51 PM
Parson just got a BIG advantage over his opponent. They don't fight at night? And wait for their turn? Prince Ansom could be waking up to a big paradigm shift.

Izzo
2007-02-27, 10:53 PM
Got some good laughs out of this one, and I needed them today! Thanks!

I find Erfworld gets better with each update (and I loved it from the get go)!

Rhuna_Coppermane
2007-02-27, 10:58 PM
I liked that. First time I haven't though Stanley was a complete idiot.

Kanthalion
2007-02-27, 10:59 PM
Parson just got a BIG advantage over his opponent. They don't fight at night? And wait for their turn? Prince Ansom could be waking up to a big paradigm shift.

I'm guessing that the Rules of this world will prevent Parson from being able to do that, although it would be quite interesting if he did.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-02-27, 11:00 PM
Wait... I thought that one of Wanda's weaknesses was sense of humor"?

Yeah, Wanda didn't think it was a joke.

Eh? Am I missing something in Stanley's last line, then? :smalltongue:

TinSoldier
2007-02-27, 11:01 PM
Eh? Am I missing something in Stanley's last line, then? :smalltongue:Stanley's perception of Wanda's sense of humor doesn't mean that Wanda saw it as a joke. Necessarily.

Nazzo, the 102nd
2007-02-27, 11:09 PM
Stanley's perception of Wanda's sense of humor doesn't mean that Wanda saw it as a joke. Necessarily.

So Stanley lacks the ability of knowing other people. Heh. Good news for Parson. :smallbiggrin:

Knight13
2007-02-27, 11:14 PM
I don't get what's so funny about Bogroll showing up at the end. Wanda just sent him to be Parson's personal lackey, it makes sense to me.

chionophile
2007-02-27, 11:20 PM
I don't get what's so funny about Bogroll showing up at the end. Wanda just sent him to be Parson's personal lackey, it makes sense to me.

Presumably it's because Stanley knows something that we don't. Possibly that Bogroll is incompetent. Then again, we've seen Stanley's sense of humor, so who knows...

Hasmik
2007-02-27, 11:23 PM
I feel embarassed to admit but I did not get the "Inconcievable!" thing either =\

Katonta
2007-02-27, 11:26 PM
Don't mean to nit-pick or anything but, you can't seem to be able to get from page 28 to page 29. Not even the last button helps. Every other page works fine except for that one.

TheEmerged
2007-02-27, 11:29 PM
RE: Wanda's sense of humor. Now, I could be completely off here... but I think Stanley still thinks Parson is Wanda's joke. That's how I read it anyway.

Zienth
2007-02-27, 11:30 PM
I feel embarassed to admit but I did not get the "Inconcievable!" thing either =\

It's another "Princess Bride" reference. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. And if you have seen the movie, I highly recommend seeing it again. :)

Zienth

TinSoldier
2007-02-27, 11:32 PM
RE: Wanda's sense of humor. Now, I could be completely off here... but I think Stanley still thinks Parson is Wanda's joke. That's how I read it anyway.That's an interesting point...

Or the fact that Stanley sees some unintended humor in Wanda's actions and finds that humor to be weird.

Naltyrr
2007-02-27, 11:33 PM
I now have the perfect voice in my head for Tool Stanley.

Silver
2007-02-27, 11:35 PM
Just great, now I have the Sicilian from Princess Bride doing the voiceovers for His Toolship in my head...

Yup, I've had that for some time: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32754&page=4

Though for some reason, I heard him a bit more as Gilbert Huph. More of the "boss" kind of vibe, I guess.

Ogenki
2007-02-28, 12:02 AM
Last panel, Stanley says Parson's humor's got nothing on Wanda's and you see his thumb pointing at Bogroll in reference to that sense of humor and Bogroll being sent by her to be Parson's lackey.

Draz74
2007-02-28, 12:35 AM
Anybody want a peanut?

Kanthalion wins the thread.

kabbor
2007-02-28, 12:38 AM
It's another "Princess Bride" reference. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. And if you have seen the movie, I highly recommend seeing it again. :)

Zienth
And if you have seen the movie, I recommend you read the book. They both complement each other well, and the book explains some things that appear in the movie but are not explained.
(Yes, it is a thick book, but just be happy you do not have Morgenstein's original work! :wink:)

Rask
2007-02-28, 12:43 AM
Now I can't read Erfworld without having Wallace Shawn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001728/)'s voice in my head for Stanley.

That, and I think Jillian is quite similar to Kara (Starbuck) from the new Battlestar Galactica.

On a different note, do you think Wanda sent Bogroll to Parson because she felt sorry for how the others treat him?

OzymandiasVolt
2007-02-28, 12:52 AM
I do not think that word means what he thinks it means. :smallwink:

kabbor
2007-02-28, 01:10 AM
On a different note, do you think Wanda sent Bogroll to Parson because she felt sorry for how the others treat him?

No, I think she sent Bogroll because he is the best, um Golum?, for the job. She's a clever girl, that one.

Xartyve
2007-02-28, 01:23 AM
Princess Bride reference! YAY! I have now updated from casual reader in to full time!

The_Old_Fox
2007-02-28, 01:39 AM
Parson takes to this alternate dimension/insane coma fantasy surprisingly well. But I guess it is everything he ever wanted.....

CDRrules
2007-02-28, 02:19 AM
Erfworld making Princess Bride references? Inconceivable!

...I thought I had heard a weeks supply (at least) of princess bride references on slashdot today, but apparently not =)

Mr Wizard
2007-02-28, 03:07 AM
HA!

Now its a fantasy webcomic.

:smallbiggrin:

TheAnimal
2007-02-28, 03:30 AM
That's an interesting point...

Or the fact that Stanley sees some unintended humor in Wanda's actions and finds that humor to be weird.

No, I think she sent Bogroll because he is the best, um Golum?, for the job. She's a clever girl, that one.

I'd put my money (5 shmuckers) on this guess:
What Stanley (and maybe Wanda as well) sees as humorous is that Lord Hamster's new lackey looks like an olive-coloured version of him, minus depth perception. It may very well be the reason why Wanda chose him for that duty in the first place. :smallamused:

Parson is becoming more likable every strip. Got to love him cracking up over Erfworld's "rules" and things like that.
His Toolship also delivers some excellent dialogue there.
"You're very strange." :smallbiggrin:

The bird's eye shot with "*blink* *blink* *wink*" was delicious in so many ways - for example, imitating Wanda's earlier "*walk**walk**balk*" and because of the fact Bogroll is only capable of winking since he only has one eye. :smallbiggrin:

Green Bean
2007-02-28, 03:32 AM
Now I can't read Erfworld without having Wallace Shawn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001728/)'s voice in my head for Stanley.

Agreed :smallbiggrin:. Princess Bride FTW.

Scientivore
2007-02-28, 04:22 AM
This comic really rewards re-reading. I just now noticed the speed-demon cloud of dust behind Bogroll in the fourth-to-last panel.

Also, I suddenly realized that the color shift in his SCREEECH to a halt was a clever way of showing a Doppler effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect). Let's see...since he was approaching, his sound effects would've been metaphorically blue shifted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_shift) to begin with. So then, when he decelerated, they would've been un-blue shifted -- or effectively redshifted (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshift). Now that's attention to detail! :smallamused:

Thanatos
2007-02-28, 04:49 AM
I, for one, hope Parson CAN break the rules. I mean, I tend to prefer turn-based strategy games myself (I'm more of a Civ guy than a Warcraft one), but It'd be cool to see that. Stanley's uncroaked don't get tired and don't have to eat... they probably see just fine at night too. They could really turn things around.

TheAnimal
2007-02-28, 04:50 AM
This comic really rewards re-reading. I just now noticed the speed-demon cloud of dust behind Bogroll in the fourth-to-last panel.
[snip]
Now that's attention to detail! :smallamused:
Yeah, I noticed that, too. He must have been making quite a pace for someone his size.
Wonder how well that would work in combat - I bet he'd pretty easily plough through several ranks of infantry, at least. :smallcool:

Ultimatum479
2007-02-28, 04:59 AM
Stanley probably wouldn't allow it, though, although maybe Wanda could convince him of it if Parson first convinced her it was their only chance.

Not much else to say about this comic other than mention the fact that Erfworld is teh pwn.

battleburn
2007-02-28, 05:49 AM
I thought the reason Stanley thought is was a joke is because of what Wanda seadd earlyer. The resemblence between Bogrol and Parson.
Stanley always wanted good-looking commanders, now he has one that looks a lot like an ugly trol.

When Princess Bride appearences occured in OotS (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0348.html) I hadn't heard of the movie either, but it gave me a reason to watch it. It was kind of funny, but still a childrens movie. I can understand why everyone is so excited about it.
So I kind of like the references as well.

-Battleburn

Beelzebub1111
2007-02-28, 06:14 AM
Now we have a voice for face...too bad that voice is annoying. Funny, but annoying.

Ave
2007-02-28, 06:17 AM
Ha ha ha... "Inconceivable!" Ha ha hahahahahahaha!

That is the BEST Erfworld so far. It's getting better! Yay!

Well, we will see. If Parson can only say *BOOP* when he wants to say ****, then i guess the world can enforce other unusual physics on him.

Om
2007-02-28, 07:21 AM
I, for one, hope Parson CAN break the rules.I don't expect to see that. It seems to me that these are fundamental rules of Erfworld, sort've like our gravity.

Blood
2007-02-28, 07:31 AM
I loved it. Princess Bride! Wooo!

battleburn
2007-02-28, 07:37 AM
I would think at night everyone has to sleep. Impossible to stay awake. Like vampires can't stay awake during the day. (Erfworld vampires are awake during day, but sleep at night. A bit weird that...)

Units have a move, after that they are tired. Probably, if it is not your turn, you just don't have any energy for fysical activities, only for plan making.
This does however raise the interesting question, do you get a jetlag when you swich to the other side? :-D

-Battleburn

Pentegarn
2007-02-28, 07:53 AM
I have to say this was the best page yet. Princess Bride references always win. Always.

To those who have not seen Princess Bride, I'd like to add it is one of those must see movies to fully understand jokes on the internet. Pretty much every Webcomic, joke site, forum, etc. makes a Princess Bride reference at some point. It is done because the movie is timeless, classic, and fun.

SteveMB
2007-02-28, 08:08 AM
Don't mean to nit-pick or anything but, you can't seem to be able to get from page 28 to page 29. Not even the last button helps. Every other page works fine except for that one.
Yeah, and trying to follow the story from just the even-numbered or odd-numbered pages is a bitch. :smallwink:

SteveMB
2007-02-28, 08:17 AM
I would think at night everyone has to sleep. Impossible to stay awake. Like vampires can't stay awake during the day. (Erfworld vampires are awake during day, but sleep at night. A bit weird that...)

Units have a move, after that they are tired. Probably, if it is not your turn, you just don't have any energy for fysical activities, only for plan making.
This does however raise the interesting question, do you get a jetlag when you swich to the other side? :-D
Is it even possible to switch to the other side? For example, has Wanda tried to induce Jillian to switch (rimshot)?

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-28, 09:47 AM
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so here goes.

It seems to me that Wanda's entire reason for giving Bogroll to Parson was to get Bogroll to leave. The fact that Stanley is surprised by Bogroll's appearance supports the idea that she was acting alone for her own interests.

Daedalus73
2007-02-28, 10:02 AM
Hehe good one. :)

JKR
2007-02-28, 10:46 AM
I liked this one. It's also cool to have a voice idea for Tool now. He'll always sound like the guy from Princess Bride to me!

battleburn
2007-02-28, 11:31 AM
Is it even possible to switch to the other side? For example, has Wanda tried to induce Jillian to switch (rimshot)?Well, she is a mercenary, check the Cast section.
So she has fought on a lot of sides in her life probably.

It seems to me that Wanda's entire reason for giving Bogroll to Parson was to get Bogroll to leave. The fact that Stanley is surprised by Bogroll's appearance supports the idea that she was acting alone for her own interests.
If that was her only reason, then why let Henchman Mung stay?
Perhaps she thinks she can handle him easily? If you wanted one guard dismissed, I would have let Bogroll stay. He is to stupid to understand if you try something that you want to keep a secret.

Xenon
2007-02-28, 11:38 AM
hmm, i expect parson may be testing out trying to move units between turns. if it works... ansom is gonna get a fun suprise as he camps for the night.... but on the other hand we could get a specific humerous reason why he cant.

you know... Ansom could be an analog to Humperdink. hes persuing the 'lost' lady fair, who is in the hands of a short 'genius', a big guy, and a master of warfare... wait, does this make wanda the dread pirate wesly?

now i wanna see bogroll in one of those big cloaks. :D

fehler
2007-02-28, 11:40 AM
Wanda is a realist and good at her job. She wouldn't have picked Bogroll unless she knew he was the best for his job. It's Stanley's lack of human(twoll) resource management skills that made him assume Wanda is making another joke. He may also think Wanda has a thing for the tall, fat boys.

SCAScot
2007-02-28, 11:41 AM
They did it. They actually, finally did it.

Ok, so I didn't die laughing as I stated in a previous thread. But I came darn close (I think I hurt something...), and it took me until this morning to finally claw my way back to my computer to post this. After laughing uncontrollably for 10 minutes, I sustained fits of giggles the rest of the night.

For the record, my computer survived my spewing of soda all over the screen and keyboard. I don't know if they did it for me or not, but I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the authors/artists for (a) darn near killing me, (b) darn near killing my computer, and (c) making my wife wonder if I'd had a breakdown of some sort.

Again, thank you.

TigerHunter
2007-02-28, 12:01 PM
hmm, i expect parson may be testing out trying to move units between turns. if it works... ansom is gonna get a fun suprise as he camps for the night.... but on the other hand we could get a specific humerous reason why he cant.

you know... Ansom could be an analog to Humperdink. hes persuing the 'lost' lady fair, who is in the hands of a short 'genius', a big guy, and a master of warfare... wait, does this make wanda the dread pirate wesly?

now i wanna see bogroll in one of those big cloaks. :D
I was actually thinking that myself. Is war in Erfworld turn-based simply because of the laws of physics, or is it, as Parson said, just politeness?

IlanaAeryn
2007-02-28, 12:14 PM
I was actually thinking that myself. Is war in Erfworld turn-based simply because of the laws of physics, or is it, as Parson said, just politeness?

What happened to the notion that Erfworld is the "actual" game that Parson was just about to play? :confused:

He calls it polite and precious, because the idea of warfare happening that way in our world, or in a world that we are experience, goes contrary to any experience or knowledge we have of warfare.

Ave
2007-02-28, 12:23 PM
Somehow he suddenly accepts the world as too real and not his comatose dream about a round based game. Strange :) I wonder what made him accept the world so fast.

Zymurg
2007-02-28, 12:35 PM
When I read this one all I could think of is that whoever pegged Wallace Shawn for the Stanley role in the Movie version was prescient.

Runeclaw
2007-02-28, 01:19 PM
(Yes, it is a thick book, but just be happy you do not have Morgenstein's original work! :wink:)

Moregenstein and the "unabridged" version of the book are fictious and used by Goldman as a literary device to frame his narrative.

Allandaros
2007-02-28, 02:23 PM
Moregenstein and the "unabridged" version of the book are fictious and used by Goldman as a literary device to frame his narrative.

Hence the winking smiley, I think. :P

antone
2007-02-28, 02:24 PM
I think the joke is that bogroll is most definitely a lack-eye

spite48
2007-02-28, 03:40 PM

Clearly that was understood.

Caledonian
2007-02-28, 08:36 PM
Parson seems to be having trouble taking warfare seriously. I can't help but think that his first actual battle is going to change that.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-28, 09:11 PM
I think the joke is that bogroll is most definitely a lack-eye:smallbiggrin:

That's actually pretty good!

DCR
2007-02-28, 11:26 PM

I agree. Here's why:
Mung's too smart to do what Bogroll would prob'ly have done unintentionally. I think. So Wanda's getting rid of potential information leaks. Bogroll and Mung could point fingers at each other until the 'promotion'. If information leaks about anything unusual happening (even tho' I'm not convinced Wanda's anything but sadistic towards J at this point) Mung is going to be up to his horns in crap golem base material.

sethdarkwater
2007-03-01, 01:16 AM
By far the best laugh I've had from Erfworld, and I really enjoy the fact that Parson is in it. He's the sharacter that keeps me coming for more well him and the tool.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-03-01, 06:11 PM
Parson seems to be having trouble taking warfare seriously. I can't help but think that his first actual battle is going to change that.

I doubt it. Take the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan and replace the soldiers with peeps and teddy bears, and the blood with fluff and candy, and see if you can take it seriously. I'd predict nervous laughter at the absurdity of it.

Say, have we even seen blood in Erfworld yet? Crap, yes, but blood?

TheEmerged
2007-03-01, 08:09 PM
Okay, my money is officially on the lack-eye bit now :D

TheAnimal
2007-03-02, 01:30 AM
Okay, my money is officially on the lack-eye bit now :D
Somebody call the Pun Police! :smalltongue:

FlyMolo
2007-03-02, 06:11 PM
I doubt it. Take the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan and replace the soldiers with peeps and teddy bears, and the blood with fluff and candy, and see if you can take it seriously. I'd predict nervous laughter at the absurdity of it.

Say, have we even seen blood in Erfworld yet? Crap, yes, but blood?

We haven't SEEN it. Just heard about it. I don't know that that would make a difference, but it might.

happyturtle
2007-03-04, 04:58 PM
It looks like Wanda drew blood in 30.

Thanatos
2007-03-05, 12:12 AM
It looks like Wanda drew blood in 30.So there's either barbs on the scourge, or Wanda is unnaturally strong for her size. A longer whip can definately open wounds, but for a scourge, the force is diffused through a wider area, because it has multiple tails and none of them are long enough to build up enough momentum to do that. I'm guessing she has some sort of barbs, because if Wanda was that strong she wouldn't have just knocked the wind out of Jillian in the panel before that, she'd have driven the handle literally into her stomach.

Of course, the spell she's using may increase her strength... or actually, maybe it's a pain-amplifying effect. That would fit better with croakamancy, since we already know it can inflict headaches.

Scientivore
2007-03-06, 06:22 PM
I'm simultaneously disturbed and intrigued that you know that. I don't see any barbs on the tails. It could be a Scourge of Wounding...

Thanatos
2007-03-07, 03:06 AM
I'm simultaneously disturbed and intrigued that you know that. I don't see any barbs on the tails. It could be a Scourge of Wounding...
In the panel where Wanda is facing Bogroll and Mung, you can see the tails of the scourge have some sort of knots on the ends. The diffusion of force is just a natural physics thing... you have the momentum of the arm spreading out over the area that the tails cover, none of which are long enough to produce the acceleration to make it "crack" like, say, a bullwhip.