PDA

View Full Version : This Is Too Cool; My P.C.'s Name in The Giant's Comic!!!!

Darth Paul
2014-07-09, 08:23 AM
There is absolutely no way to prove this. It's an entirely personal story, yet it links to an OotS strip that I just finished re-reading.

THE GIANT MENTIONED MY CHARACTER'S NAME!

In the last panel of this comic, check the first name on Malack's Macebook page. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html)

For years I have had a player character in D&D named Kotor. Not a Paladin, but a Druid. Nonetheless, KOTOR WAS MENTIONED IN A COMIC STRIP!! YAY!!!!

Yes, I know, the limited number of syllables in human speech make it almost inevitable that someone, somewhere, would use the same random invented name. I came up with it because I was playing Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic at the time I made the character. (Get it? K.O.T.O.R.?) I have no clue how Sir Burlew came up with Kotor, Paladin of Marduk. But it will be forever special to me knowing that he did. And Kotor the Annoying, Druid At Large is still running around our game world with his Dire Wolf Animal Companion, delivering Neutral Justice to one and all whether they asked for it or not.

Thank you, Giant.

Anyone else seen their PC's name pop up in a fiction work?

Keltest
2014-07-09, 08:32 AM
Oddly, yes. I had an old Everquest character named Kelthar (derived from Keltest, yes). Years and years later, I see the name appear as a one scene character in one of R. A. Salvatore's Drizzt books. I forget which one, but it was weird as heck seeing my character's name in a book, especially since I had thought it was made up gibberish.

Steven
2014-07-09, 09:12 AM
Oddly, yes. I had an old Everquest character named Kelthar (derived from Keltest, yes). Years and years later, I see the name appear as a one scene character in one of R. A. Salvatore's Drizzt books. I forget which one, but it was weird as heck seeing my character's name in a book, especially since I had thought it was made up gibberish.

Hey now! I know Salvatore isn't exactly the best writer out there but gibberish is a bit harsh.

Bland and incredibly lacking in self awareness perhaps but not actually gibberish.....

Keltest
2014-07-09, 09:17 AM
Hey now! I know Salvatore isn't exactly the best writer out there but gibberish is a bit harsh.

Bland and incredibly lacking in self awareness perhaps but not actually gibberish.....

I meant the name Kelthar. I like Salvatore a lot, even if his later works have decayed in quality.

Peelee
2014-07-09, 10:30 AM

I, for one, thought that joke was hilarious.

As for the topic, my best character, Ganner, was named after my favorite Jedi was the New Jedi Order series, so I don't get the same experiences you do, sadly. Though coincidentally, that is also my only experience with Salvatore.

Lastly, the Kotor name, along with Malak, caused quite a bit of stir among forumgoers, as many saw it as continuing the Star Wars referencing that only happened in, like, a few strips with the Linear Guild. It even made The Giant comment that he had never played the games, if I recall. Which is a shame; they are great.

Darth Paul
2014-07-09, 10:36 AM
Lastly, the Kotor name, along with Malak, caused quite a bit of stir among forumgoers, as many saw it as continuing the Star Wars referencing that only happened in, like, a few strips with the Linear Guild. It even made The Giant comment that he had never played the games, if I recall. Which is a shame; they are great.

Yes they are, even if KOTOR II was rushed and lacked a really proper ending in my opinion. I would still like to see a III where the Exile and Revan do a Marvel-style team up. Even better if it could somehow import my old character settings from my original X Box to my new platform (which will never happen, since I'm PS4 guy now, but they could try to find a way...).

Keltest
2014-07-09, 10:39 AM
Yes they are, even if KOTOR II was rushed and lacked a really proper ending in my opinion. I would still like to see a III where the Exile and Revan do a Marvel-style team up. Even better if it could somehow import my old character settings from my original X Box to my new platform (which will never happen, since I'm PS4 guy now, but they could try to find a way...).

Apparently TOR gives them an ending to their story, even if I found that ending to be less than satisfying.

Darth Paul
2014-07-09, 11:18 AM
Apparently TOR gives them an ending to their story, even if I found that ending to be less than satisfying.

I've never been a PC gamer, partly by choice and partly by never owning a top-grade PC, so I guess I'll just read about that over on TV Tropes' Spoiler page rather than living it. Thanks for the tip.

Jasdoif
2014-07-09, 01:06 PM
Lastly, the Kotor name, along with Malak, caused quite a bit of stir among forumgoers, as many saw it as continuing the Star Wars referencing that only happened in, like, a few strips with the Linear Guild. It even made The Giant comment that he had never played the games, if I recall.That's correct.
I've never played Knights of the Old Republic. The name was originally going to be Malachi, but I decided at the last minute that I didn't want names that were too closely related to any real-world religion. So I dropped the "hi" and slapped on a "k", which happily gave me a unique name.

And his "friend" Kotor was just random. I picked sounds that sounded like an ancient Conan-type warrior to me.

Peelee
2014-07-09, 05:54 PM
That's correct.

You are one awesome banana.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-09, 07:12 PM
That is one bizarre coincidence. I have once seen a name of a character I made up appear on a map for a book, which was a strange thing to see.

rodneyAnonymous
2014-07-10, 01:20 PM
My brother's name is Eben. (No, it's not short for Ebeneezer, it's just Eben.) As far as I know it's not in any baby name books etc., and I've never met anyone else with that name or seen it printed anywhere, except once. It was really weird to see that name in a fantasy book.

Bulldog Psion
2014-07-10, 02:19 PM
Star Wars style humor for the EoB arc ...

Darth Malak / Malack ...

Knights of the Old Republic / Kotor ...

Too much to be pure coincidence.

My personal theory is that Mr. Burlew has indeed never played the games, but was subconsciously influenced by seeing the names and abbreviations on the Internet. I mean, he deals with geeks and gamers. I'd think it would be impossible to move in such circles even peripherally, and not run across "Malak" and "KOTOR" many, many times. They're a definite and persistent part of this intriguing little culture that we imaginative tale-telling folk have built for ourselves.

And people can easily be influenced without realizing it.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-10, 03:28 PM
Speaking of Malachi, for some reason the autocorrect on my Kindle recognizes that as a word, but not Malack (until I started using it frequently).

Bavarian itP
2014-07-10, 03:56 PM
Star Wars style humor for the EoB arc ...

Darth Malak / Malack ...

Knights of the Old Republic / Kotor ...

Too much to be pure coincidence.

My personal theory is that Mr. Burlew has indeed never played the games, but was subconsciously influenced by seeing the names and abbreviations on the Internet. I mean, he deals with geeks and gamers. I'd think it would be impossible to move in such circles even peripherally, and not run across "Malak" and "KOTOR" many, many times. They're a definite and persistent part of this intriguing little culture that we imaginative tale-telling folk have built for ourselves.

And people can easily be influenced without realizing it.

Two examples are by no means "too much" to be pure coincidence. Especially because the names of sith lords are not creative at all (Darth Plagueis, Darth Vader). Mr Burlew even managed to never hear of something called "Monkey Island" before he introduced pun duells in his webcomic. My guess is that he does not deal with video gamers all that much.

Speaking of Malachi, for some reason the autocorrect on my Kindle recognizes that as a word, but not Malack (until I started using it frequently).

The reason might be that it's a book of the bible.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-10, 04:00 PM
The reason might be that it's a book of the bible.

I did not know that. Which is kind of sad, considering that a quick Google would have informed me.

rodneyAnonymous
2014-07-10, 04:30 PM
I did not know that. Which is kind of sad, considering that a quick Google would have informed me.

I often forget that I can find the answer to X, right now. I think that's a common oversight.

Vinyadan
2014-07-10, 04:45 PM
My brother's name is Eben. (No, it's not short for Ebeneezer, it's just Eben.) As far as I know it's not in any baby name books etc., and I've never met anyone else with that name or seen it printed anywhere, except once. It was really weird to see that name in a fantasy book.

Wait until he travels to Germany, then some funny times will occur :smallwink:

Peelee
2014-07-10, 10:02 PM

It's very likely also due to Malachi being the name of the one who had direct divine communication on The World On Bender's Stomach in Futurama. It means, "he who really loves the metal lord." The name is rife with religious significance, really.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-10, 10:10 PM
It's very likely also due to Malachi being the name of the one who had direct divine communication on The World On Bender's Stomach in Futurama. It means, "he who really loves the metal lord." The name is rife with religious significance, really.

That's a possibility, although I doubt Futurama affects it as much as the Bible.

Darth Paul
2014-07-10, 10:14 PM
That's a possibility, although I doubt Futurama affects it as much as the Bible.

Futurama IS my Bible!!!

dtilque
2014-07-11, 03:54 AM
That is one bizarre coincidence. I have once seen a name of a character I made up appear on a map for a book, which was a strange thing to see.

Stranger than Batman, Turkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman,_Turkey)?

Vinyadan
2014-07-11, 04:00 AM

Or Iskenderun, Turkey. :smalltongue: If you ever played Dungeon Crawl.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-11, 05:53 AM

Probably not. Reading that article and thinking of the superhero made it extremely funny.

Keltest
2014-07-11, 06:57 AM
Probably not. Reading that article and thinking of the superhero made it extremely funny.

I am now further convinced that Turkey doesn't actually exist. Some other country is there doing shady things and convincing the rest of the world that they just have silly names and certainly aren't taking over the world.

TheWombatOfDoom
2014-07-11, 07:00 AM
:smallsmile: I'm looking forward to the day I see the Wombat of Doom in the comic.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-07-11, 03:31 PM
:smallsmile: I'm looking forward to the day I see the Wombat of Doom in the comic.

I think that would be an interesting monster for Serini to put in her dungeon. :smalltongue:

137beth
2014-07-11, 07:20 PM
I think that would be an interesting monster for Serini to put in her dungeon. :smalltongue:

Speaking of which...
...this wasn't mine, but I was in a group with someone playing a character called "Serini". It was an elf, though, not a halfling.